Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jake_Kobrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:09 am 

Hi,

As a ridiculously huge fan of teh p0rg I've become quite a sucker for these two instruments, especially the 'Tron. As my favorite metal genre, the only thing I can think of that would make black metal any better is more inclusion of these keys! Can you guys recommend black metal albums that contain Mellotron and/or Hammond Organ? Properly utilized digital samples of them are fine as well, but analog would be greatly preferred.

The only black metal band I can think of to use 'tron (albeit sampled) is later Enslaved. For Hammond, I can only think of (if you consider them black metal)Sculptured.

Jake

p.s. I know there are tons of cheesy black metal bands who use church organ. That's NOT what I'm looking for!

Jake_Kobrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:17 am 

And if you don't know what Mellotron and/or Hammond Organ are (you poor sheltered soul...) then check out these videos to get an idea of the sound.

Mellotron

Hammond Organ

Jake_Kobrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 pm 

So far my list is:

Mellotron:
Enslaved
In Lingua Mortua
Spite Extreme Wing

Hammond:
Sculptured
Enslaved (a little bit)
In Lingua Mortua
Borknagar (from Empiricism onwards)
Solefald
Vintersorg (from Visions... onwards)
Solstafir
Sigh

It's too bad because I sort of just threw Hammond in at the end. I'm much more interested in finding bands with Mellotron.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:20 pm 

Try the search function. "Mellotron" gave 14 results and "Hammond organ" gave 10.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:35 pm 

Belial wrote:
Try the search function. "Mellotron" gave 14 results and "Hammond organ" gave 10.

What search function are you talking about? As far as I know there's no field for instruments used on the music.

In a similar vein, does anyone know of a black metal band that uses a really dirtied-up organ? I'm talking about the organ sound in, say, "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals. That organ sound would absolutely kill alongside fuzzy, distorted guitar and I think would work really well in a black metal context.

Jake, I know you're approaching this from a prog angle rather than a garage-rock kind of thing, but do any of the bands you've listed use it in the way I'm looking for?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:45 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Belial wrote:

What search function are you talking about? As far as I know there's no field for instruments used on the music.

Just use the "lineup" field.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:00 am 

That's no good. For one thing, that doesn't allow my to search by genre so it just gives me every single metal band that has Hammond organ. Not to mention that you can have that organ sound with other types of organs than Hammonds, and just searching "organ" in the lineup field gives me a ton of people in bands with "organ" in the name along with a lot of people named Morgan.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:33 am 

Yes I know, but if you type "hammond organ" you'll only get 10 results. I know it's not really that practical, but in the case of the OP here it can help as there aren't that much bands to browse.

Jake_Kobrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:09 am 

It's ok, I'm finding some stuff by myself OK. It turns out that the idea of mellotron in black metal is a fairly new concept which VERY few bands utilize. Hmmmm...

iamntbatman wrote:

In a similar vein, does anyone know of a black metal band that uses a really dirtied-up organ? I'm talking about the organ sound in, say, "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals. That organ sound would absolutely kill alongside fuzzy, distorted guitar and I think would work really well in a black metal context.

Jake, I know you're approaching this from a prog angle rather than a garage-rock kind of thing, but do any of the bands you've listed use it in the way I'm looking for?

Peste Noire has some really fucked up hammond organ in their music (I don't know why I forgot about them earlier, they're one of my favorites) as well as some church organ and such.

Other than that not really, almost all of those bands strive towards cleaner production.

Jake_Kobrin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:14 pm 

I'm still looking for BM with 'Tron. I decided that I don't really care about the Hammond in BM. It normally doesn't sound that great. Here's what I've found so far:

Angst Skvadron
Endezzma
Enslaved
In Lingua Mortua
Shining (most recent and the next to be released)
[And Vulture Industries uses Mellotron sounds on the song "The Benevolent Pawn"]

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 pm 

Lumsk uses Hammond organ quite a bit.

Reply to topic