Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 am 

I specifically mean "Dimension Hatross".. I love early Voivod (up to "Killing Technology), and admire the next few albums as well, but in the latter case I can only listen to them occasionally. Honestly, Snake's nasal robot vocals aren't that appealing to me, but I just adore Piggy's guitarwork. So, any bands, in any metal genre, really, taht have taken this style and really ran with it to create interesting results? I want to hear more of those strange, jangly chords and maybe some of the jerky mechanical rhythms, too. I know Blasphemer, formerly of Mayhem, was pretty influenced by Piggy and while this is probably my least favourite era of Mayhem I've always admired his playing a lot. Virus and Ved Buens Ende sort of spring to mind as well, especially the former band. I'm familiar with later Obliveon and that's not really what I'm looking for ... they're certainly very Voivod-influenced but the guitars just aren't that interesting...reminds me of "Negatron" more than anything else.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 pm 

Doom (from Japan) has the weirdo Voivod sound on their Complicated Mind album, although the vocals might annoy you even more than Snake's.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:50 pm 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Doom (from Japan) has the weirdo Voivod sound on their Complicated Mind album, although the vocals might annoy you even more than Snake's.

Ah yes, you or somebody else here had suggested that I check them out earlier, but I had forgotten..or maybe gotten them confused with teh Swedish crust band. I'll hunt down that album!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:07 am 

You've heard the last two Averse Sefira's I imagine. Not really 'jangly' like Virus/VBE, but still Voivod-ian as fuck heh.

Reply to topic