Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:24 pm 

Did I ever thank Antoine for pointing out the Advanced Search to me? I hope so. If so, it bears repeating.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am 

Thanks to Storm for recommending Brian Bates "The way of the wyrd". Excellent book! a type of book i have not read before and would really be interested in hearing of another book or author with similarity.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 am 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Thanks to Storm for recommending Brian Bates "The way of the wyrd". Excellent book! a type of book i have not read before and would really be interested in hearing of another book or author with similarity.

Glad to see you enjoyed it man. I read it all thanks to the "Dreamweaver" album, it would make for a cool movie.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:50 am 

Oh darn, forgot this thread existed. I think this thankyou is long overdue.

Thanks Tony for the regular recommendations but especially for that thread on Tribulation. I was quite ignorant about their new found direction let alone their existence and 'The Horror'. Both are sweet albums and get constant spins when I'm on the move.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 pm 

I wanted to say thanks to Ilwhyan for mentioning Sanojesi Äärelle in the "Great albums released late in a band's career" thread. It finally got me to start checking out all of Horna's stuff (and, by extension, a bunch of other Finnish BM.)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 am 

Motorpriest wrote:
I wanted to say thanks to Ilwhyan for mentioning Sanojesi Äärelle in the "Great albums released late in a band's career" thread. It finally got me to start checking out all of Horna's stuff (and, by extension, a bunch of other Finnish BM.)

You're welcome! It's a slightly overlooked and misunderstood branch of black metal. Many listeners brush it off as amateurishly brusque and pitifully simplistic, but it can be quite unrivaled in its primitive beauty, and I think especially Sanojesi Äärelle is a brilliant example of such an amalgamation of sinister beauty and powerfully aggressive black metal.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
You're welcome! It's a slightly overlooked and misunderstood branch of black metal. Many listeners brush it off as amateurishly brusque and pitifully simplistic, but it can be quite unrivaled in its primitive beauty, and I think especially Sanojesi Äärelle is a brilliant example of such an amalgamation of sinister beauty and powerfully aggressive black metal.

It's odd that people write it off as you've described above, given that we're talking about Black Metal, but I do see what you mean. There's something to be said about finding beauty in simplicity, which Horna pull off extremely well.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm 

Thanks to failsafeman, Xeogred, Empyreal, Nahsil, etc. for being huge nerds and talking about power metal for years straight, and for the reviews! The other night I drank wine and started reading the h/p/s thread from the beginning, and .. it's been a fucking blast. Adramelch is unique and weird.

Something I need to remember is that I'm not listening to any of this music nearly loudly enough. Jeez. Yesterday I turned Pseudogod up and the album got exponentially better.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm 

it was Necroticism174 who posted a song by The Austrasian Goat and that really has got me into the band. not many black metal/funeral doom style of bands out there and this one mixes the genre seamlessly

my last.fm

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:46 pm 

Thanks to balbulus for recommending CROW! One of the best bands I've heard in a long time. You rule dude!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Thanks to balbulus for recommending CROW! One of the best bands I've heard in a long time. You rule dude!

*bows*
It's a pleasure.

Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm 

Many thanks to CrushedRevelation for bringing Desolate Shrine to my attention as I was lurking the death metal thread. Currently being floored by The Sanctum of Human Darkness.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 am 

Aye, it'll do that. Enjoy being drowned in a slew of crushing misery.

My collection

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:16 pm 

AUTOTHRALL!

This dude writes the most accurate and entertaining reviews on MA. I don't even like most if the bands but the dude hits the nail on the head each time. I've definitely checked out a lot of stuff thanks to him. His whole series on certain discographies (Bolt Thrower, Voivod, King Diamond) are especially solid.

Thank you sir!

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am 

A mighty thank you to balbulus for recommending Khthon, a great Doom band from the UK that will be getting loads of attention from me.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:17 am 

There were a few different people who mentioned Dragged Into Sunlight and I just got their album Hatred For Mankind.

My mind is officially blown.

Thanks guys.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 am 

I also discovered them from here. Someone posted the cover art in an album cover related thread, so I had to check it out. Likewise, I was blown away.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:34 pm 

Exigence wrote:
AUTOTHRALL!

This dude writes the most accurate and entertaining reviews on MA. I don't even like most if the bands but the dude hits the nail on the head each time. I've definitely checked out a lot of stuff thanks to him. His whole series on certain discographies (Bolt Thrower, Voivod, King Diamond) are especially solid.

Thank you sir!

I think we all should thank him for their amazing and accurate reviews. Wish I could write reviews like him...

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:13 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I'd like to deliver an emphatic message of thanks that is long overdue to Pfuntner. Roughly a year ago, he recommended to me the album Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain by Mono & World's End Girlfriend. After twelve months and dozens of listens spent in cold, silent reflection, this release has crept into my favorite records of all time, if not the absolute zenith. It is quite literally the most moving thing I've ever listened to and never fails to deliver excruciating emotional blows, chilling passages of crestfallen pathos, and crescendos of cathartic release. I seriously feel as if my life has been made better by knowing about this release and listening to it.

So yeah, I kind of liked it. Thank you.

Damn, sorry I didn't read this sooner. Glad I could help! Definitely one of my all time favorite records as well.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:26 am 

Calamity_Cometh wrote:
Many thanks to CrushedRevelation for bringing Desolate Shrine to my attention as I was lurking the death metal thread. Currently being floored by The Sanctum of Human Darkness.

He's a very good recommender. He has brought more bands that I love than any other, I think. I especially appreciate his recommending me Psychrist, whom I strongly doubt I would've ever discovered otherwise.

CatFlatulence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am 

I found War Master in the rec. forum one day. Not sure who dropped the name, but you fucking rule.

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

Thanks to Flugeldufel (or however your username is spelled :P) for recommending S.V.E.S.T. to me. Urfaust blew me away when I listened to it. Thank you for showing me such a good band.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:40 pm 

null

Last edited by FromMarsToSirius on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

Pfuntner wrote:
Metal_Detector wrote:
I'd like to deliver an emphatic message of thanks that is long overdue to Pfuntner. Roughly a year ago, he recommended to me the album Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain by Mono & World's End Girlfriend. After twelve months and dozens of listens spent in cold, silent reflection, this release has crept into my favorite records of all time, if not the absolute zenith. It is quite literally the most moving thing I've ever listened to and never fails to deliver excruciating emotional blows, chilling passages of crestfallen pathos, and crescendos of cathartic release. I seriously feel as if my life has been made better by knowing about this release and listening to it.

So yeah, I kind of liked it. Thank you.

Damn, sorry I didn't read this sooner. Glad I could help! Definitely one of my all time favorite records as well.

All is well for my opinion remains unchanged. :beer:

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am 

On the subject of belated thanks, I also wanted to mention users balbulus, Perplexed_sjel, spenot, and qTp who had responded to my question earlier in the General Electronic, etc thread. Even if the responses didn't all perfectly align with my (overly specific) request, they pointed me at some fascinating stuff, almost all of which I had never heard before.

You're all awesome, and I appreciate the help!

Orbitball
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:06 am 

I'm still stuck in the past with Death (the band). I have all of their remastered CD's, but I'd have to say some old Morbid Angel i.e. "Covenant" is also a milestone in the death metal scene. Talking Swedish death metal, Dismember's self-titled and the new Lifeless - Goddeconstruct is phenomenal. Totally in the same vein as Dismember.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm 

Wow, I started this thread in 2009. Glad to see it stuck.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm 

I forget who it was, but whoever posted about Katalepsy's Autopsychosis in Metal Discussion when it came out... thank you so much. That album blew me away from the very first seconds of Lurking in the Depth, and it hasn't lost any appeal to me, even with about 9 months of constant play. Thank you, whoever it was, for introducing me to one of my new favorite albums of all-time.

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 am 

Thanks FleshMonolith for recommending Dark Tribe

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Hollow-Lives-131952705738380/
Bandcamp:
https://hollowlives.bandcamp.com/releases
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevT4U ... AEQ/videos

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm 

everyone that participates in the Black Metal help thread deserves an honorable mention, I remember getting a slew of awesome Finnish Black metal recs that I'm still going back and re-listening to a couple months later, that split with Nekrokrist SS and the 2008 demo Nattfog released are incredible, god those riffs hidden behind that massive wall of distortion are just majestic.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:07 am 

iamntbatman recommended someone else Insane Vesper, and upon reading it I thought the name was interesting and went to check it out and fucking hell it is awesome, thanks!! Even though it wasn't really directed at me haha.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 am 

I don't remember recommending them but they're a good band so I'm glad you associated me with them anyway! Haha.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

Someone in a Fleshgod Apocalypse thread mentioned Hideous Divinity, and I am so grateful, because that band is so incredibly badass.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:31 am 

I hardly ever discovered bands by recommendations but I'd like to give a huge shout out to noktorn for recommending the amazing Luctus in one his reviews

warewolf95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:26 am 

Thank you all the fellow board members that posted the suggestions in my "Thrash artists with 3 or more albums?" thread

Thanks to you lot I have discovered the like of

Artillery
Sadus
Suicidal Angels (LOVING THEM)
Bonded By Blood
Cerebral Fix
Fueled By Fire
In Malice's Wake
Lich King
Nuclear Assault
Vindicator
Vio-lence

There were many more, but those are the standouts so far

Thank you guys eternally

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 pm 

Thanks to iamntbatman for recommending Yith. These guys really know what they are after. Been listening to their stuff regularly since seeing it in the black metal thread.

It's too bad they don't have a generally available disc of their work so far, but that's what the internet is for. :beer:

As a huge fan of the first Dodheimsgard album, I love how the bass is sitting off in the back doing its thing, but still contributing to the music on the third demo. Sometimes locked in, other times just doing some totally other shit.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 am 

I know it was in the black metal help thread but I can't recall who it was, so here it goes. Thanks a bunch to whoever recommended me Svart Crown's Profane, I was finally able to dedicate some time to it and it's definitely up my alley. Ripping album!

nekrokvlt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:47 am 

Thanks to AcidWorm for recommending Inepsy and Ketzer. I was looking for stuff along the lines of Cruel Force.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:57 pm 

thanks to my father for recommending Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:35 pm 

The Unguided and Logical Terror, highly recommend the latter.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next