Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PengPeng
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:20 am 

Thanks to all you guys, who helped me on my search for "triumphant / fanfare-like" music! :-)

And another great "Thank you" I have to sent in the direction of blood_and_fire for starting his thread for "happy depressive black metal" and then Snowgrave for pointing him (and me) towards Svarti Loghin - what brilliant music... I'm nearly speechless!

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:47 pm 

No problem. Glad you like them! :)

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 am 

Thanks to HamburgerBoy for his recommendation of Tension in the "Looking for something Overkill-esque" thread. Great band!

DrSharK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 am 

Someone recommended me Gojira about 18 months ago. I came in asking for stuff that was "progressive, but heavier than your usual prog band". I was recommended Gojira. Right since then, They've remained my favourite band of all time. So thank you, whoever you are!

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:48 am 

I guess it's only fiting that my first post be a thank you.

Thanks to the guys who recommended the following:

Carcariass (much better than expected)
Coromorant (same)
Withered Beauty
Searing Meadow
The Fifth Sun
Mercenary
Zonaria

One can never have too much metal, and I've been sorely lacking in new melodeath bands, so thanks.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 pm 

I remember someone recommended me Desultory a while back when I wanted melodic death metal that wasn't the gothenburg kind, I knew about the band but hadn't bothered looking them up. Now they are one of my favorites from my favorite scene. Thanks whoever you are!

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

blacknumenorean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:48 pm 

Thanks to STORMM for his recommendation of Sear Bliss!
doc of the band wore hyperblats blatsbeats were either faster than normal? The Ultimate Incantation album on the music final massacre in the 1.52 to 2.18 blatsbeats seem to be faster than the constant music blastbeat

My Band
www.myspace.com/vanekmetal

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 am 

blacknumenorean wrote:
Thanks to STORMM for his recommendation of Sear Bliss!

Your welcome mate, glad you liked them, forgot to tell you to try Forest Silence, a side project of the band, also excellent stuff.

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 am 

I have to thank whoever recommended Crystal Viper and Shadowside. I am sure it was two different users though not entirely sure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:08 pm 

Empyreal, thanks for recommending me Tad Morose (among many other power metal bands). I knew there was a band in the genre that would be my gateway drug, and so far they're proving themselves capable of the task.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

QJ14
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:42 pm 

Thanks to Hunger4HumanFeces for reccing me Hour of Penance and Asphyx. Those bands truly kick ass, and have kept me listening to them for a long time.

Thanks again bro. :)

matrixmetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:02 am 

It takes awhile (a few months) to get the vibe of this place (Metal Archives) but if one reads enough threads for enough consecutive days it's possible to make out some semblence of intelligence within this maelstrom of metal.

BIG THANKS TO THOSE WHO RECOMMENDED THESE BANDS (Yes I do read & value your valuable insights):

Portal. Holy jeezus shit. I picked up Swarth the other day on the simple basis that M-A (you people out there on the internets) raves day & night about them. And you guys were right. It's total nonsense guitar noise which ironically resembles the content in Encyclopaedia Metallum Forums. I fucking love the stereo mix on the guitars. Exceedingly brutal vocals are interspersed throughout the recording in the same way that raw meat is interspersed into a crowded fish tank of pirana fish. People keep asking where can extreme metal go? It goes through this Portal and comes out sounding like Swarth.

Skeletonwitch. Both albums are speedy, blackened, thrashy kick ass frenzy of riffs & both are now in my collection due to those people writing some good, objective descriptive snapshots here on M-A. This is some very exciting song writing with sweet production values. The second cd gives a more "live room" sound , with emphasis on the ;'warmth' because this band is hotter than hell on these back to back silver platters, Beyond the Permafrost & Breathing the Fire. Now I need to see them live in concert to ssatiate my lustfull greedy appetite for all Skeletonwitch products. My predictionis that a Skeletonwitch concert t-shirt is in my 2010 future.

[opens another PBR and keeps typing away..]

Mayhem DMDS. Reading this site convinced me that my metal collection was incomplete. A long time ago a friend of mine tried to get me to listen to this and I just couldn't tolerate it. Today, as I write, I have seen Mayhem live and listened to DMDS numerous times. The record itself is a real metal object of art. Somehow Mayhem has managed to record guitars that, like lazers, slice through the brain at microscopic intervals, creating an infinite number of planes of existence, as experienced through the expression of the audio mixture of Mayhem with the Mysteriis of Sathanas. Does DMDS make the rest of my black metal collection obsolete? No. Does DMDS make my collection complete? No. Black metal is merely the entrance to an eternal abyss of nothingness... best expressed by black metal.

[wow that sucked but i'm drunk and i'll go for another one]

Nile. Goddamn. I totally ignored Nile until I registered at M-A. I'd see a few remarks here and there... the reviews sounded pretty tasty.. I picked up Legacy of the Catacombs first because it's like a greatest hits. Now I'm just going back to buy all the albums anyway because the albums are albums and need to be listened to as such. This is the only way to capture the fucking essence of Nile, album by album. So fare I have AOTW and FWTGD which are crushing me on the commute to work every day. Nile will be in Seattle this month at El Corazon and that is going to be some crushing shit. Holy fucking Egyptian mythos. The dude is serious about his liner notes like Nergal is.

That's it. Thanks for all the good recs.

metalfreak_1994
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:10 pm 

I don't remeber who did it, but someone reccomended Electric Wizard for me awhile back when I first joined the Archives, and now it's one of my favorite bands.

Muhammadabbadabba
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:15 pm 

Thanks to Belial, childrenofthenight, caspian, HumanWaste5150, and Doomsday for their recommendations. I'm really getting into Avrigus (AUS), Sacrilege, Jex Thoth, Mourn, and Blood Ceremony

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 pm 

I owe thomash a pat on the back for the introduction into Ved Buens Ende's world of avant-garde chaos.

Obligatory Last FM Link

heavyyield
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 am 

No idea who it was, but thanks for introducing me to older In Flames, Project Hate and Sinister.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:53 am 

Back when I ran "The MA Top Folk Metal Albums Survey" (which a lot of people hated), one album stood out to me as a I added up the results. That album was "Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning" by Myrkgrav. I quickly sought out this record and was amazingly pleased at finding one of the best albums I have ever heard. So I guess my thanks goes out to everyone who participated in the survey - even if they hated the way I ran it...

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am 

Thanks to whoever recommended Perversor. I didn't know death thrash like Sarcófago still existed.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

warfighter67
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 pm 

Thanks to Sharkuu for reccomending Insomnium and Daylight Dies, they are both one of my top 10 favorites now
Almightyjoey for reccomending Lurker of Chalice, a band in my top 15-ish
LOL, that would be ridiculous.
For honor we'll fight!!!
*CHUG, CHUG* *DODA* *DODA* *OPEN STRING*

xdarkniterainx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm 

I want to say thanks to everyone on here who has ever made a reccomendation for someone else.

Ive lurked for 2 years ish and in that time ive seen recs for all my favorite bands.

Kreator
Destruction
Mystic Prophecy
Firewind
Skyfire

just to name a a couple.

Thanks guys.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:18 am 

Well there was this topic and someone posted a youtube link of Arckanum. Thinking it was from my Kostogher album I clicked it but it wasn't, it came from Fran Marder and I liked it. So I got the Fran Marder album and their demo Arckanum - Trulen which is even friggin better! Can't find the topic, must have been removed like so many other... Anyways thanks dude! Wouldn't have never listened to these without ya.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:20 am 

Everyone in this thread that mentioned Oranssi Pazuzu's "Muukalainen Puhuu"....

this is a really solid record...

~Guest 210817
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 pm 

I wish i could remember who recommended Morgue's 'Eroded Thoughts' (1993) because that album was a hidden gem. I can't stop listening to it!!

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:18 pm 

I'd like to thank Adriankat for introducing me to Vehemence. Impossibly brutal, yet amazingly melodic and beautiful in a death metal sort of way.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm 

Someone recommended me:

Watain
Silencer
Tartaros
Grief of Emerald
Lunar Aurora
Lamia Antitheus
Carach Angren

Thanks!

Xterminator333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 pm 

Thanks Humanwaste5150. That is exactly what i was looking for

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:18 am 

Thanks to well_ov_mimir for starting the Triptykon thread. That forced me to check them out, and now I have the CD and loving it. Thanks, dude. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm 

Thanks to whoever recommended Hiroshima Will Burn in that one thread about technical wankery death metal. They are fucking amazing.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 am 

Guys, at least have the decency to state the username of the person you're thanking. If they've gone through the effort of recommending something good to you, the least you can do is go back to the thread to get their name. Statements like, "Thanks to whoever..." and "Someone recommended me..." just aren't good enough.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 pm 

My first post on this board was asking for freak/folk recommendations.

Even though this rec. didn't really match what I was asking for (no one seemed to get it, really), I'm so glad that it was mentioned. Thanks AuldAnxiety for mentioning Feathers - Ibex Horn, from the gnomeozoic live EP, is fucking fantastic. perhaps the best psychedelic rock song of the millenium so far.

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:03 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
Guys, at least have the decency to state the username of the person you're thanking. If they've gone through the effort of recommending something good to you, the least you can do is go back to the thread to get their name. Statements like, "Thanks to whoever..." and "Someone recommended me..." just aren't good enough.

I looked for the topic but couldn't find it. Sorry I can't live up to your standards, Dad.

BrvtalTrvth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 pm 

Winds0fCreation wrote:
Wretchedspirit wrote:

I looked for the topic but couldn't find it. Sorry I can't live up to your standards, Dad.

Your welcome Son.

gazeovice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm 

I'd like to thank Pwctf for recommending Dream death, in the doom metal thread for everyone. They are definitely one of the fastest doom bands I've ever heard.

Devourgasm138
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:15 pm 

QJ14 wrote:
Thanks to Hunger4HumanFeces for reccing me Hour of Penance and Asphyx. Those bands truly kick ass, and have kept me listening to them for a long time.

Thanks again bro. :)

My account hunger4humanfeces was banned, so i had to create a new one. :( But you are very welcome man. It always feels awesome when you help someone with something. :)

bishun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 am 

Thanks to CrushedRevelation for recommending Instinct in the Solo "Bedroom" Black Metal thread.

AnonymousKindaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:03 pm 

Winds0fCreation wrote:
Thanks to whoever recommended Hiroshima Will Burn in that one thread about technical wankery death metal. They are fucking amazing.

Was that me?

And which tech wank thread? That trigger guys?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am 

Thanks to OlioTheSmall for showing me Dystopia (USA). They're really good and I currently have their material somewhere in the postal system. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Devourgasm138
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:35 am 

Mikey you recommended Ignivomous to someone in death metal help thread and i checked it out too. Can't thank you enough man. That is one of the best death metal albums i've heard in a long time.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:57 am 

I think you may have the wrong person. I've never recommended Ignivomous, only because I've never heard them. Sorry, mate. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Devourgasm138
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 am 

My bad, i must have mistaken you for someone else. I need to go back and see who recommended them. :D

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next