Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 am 

Refer to title. There's just something about hearing this stuff that makes the experience awesome. Some good examples would be Van Halen's Hot for Teacher and David Lee Roth's Elephant Gun. It doesn't need to sound anything like either of those bands, but those are the titles I know of that fit the criteria.

Grave Digger's cover of Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak isn't quite what I'm looking for, but covers of classic rock songs that throw in double bass might be interesting too.

Anyone?

Last edited by Misainzig on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:36 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
Anyone?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:00 pm 

Seriously? No one? Wow. Maybe it doesn't exist outside the realm of David Lee Roth.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:53 am 

Holy fuck you all suck! Okay, let's help this shit out a little by widening the search area.

Know of any GLAM BANDS that use double bass? Yeah, I know about Nitro and the Crue.

Hey wait, what about Heavy Metal with prominent rock-ish influences with a decent amount of double bass?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:05 pm 

Eh, I haven't really "looked" for it while listening to them, but maybe early Riot has some of this stuff. They were pretty heavy/fast for their time back in the day. Try Rock City, Narita, and Fire Down Under.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 am 

dude the chorus to Take me drunk by Dangerous Toys has double bass. Check out Dangerous Toys - Hellacious Acres. Take me drunk is the only glam song I can think of at the moment that has double bass . It works rather well too..Im not too big on theory but I think he's doing double bass triplets or duplets...haha he is doing double bass though

I know their drummer has to be into thrash and death being that he's got a Death shirt on on the back cover of Hellacious Acres. Also, the singer of Dangerous Toys was on the first Watchtower album if that is of interest to you.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 am 

Hmm, I haven't heard anything besides the big hits by Whitesnake, but when I saw them live in 2004, the drummer played lots of double bass.

Also, I'm not sure, but didn't Triumph occasionally use double bass?

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 am 

mirons wrote:
Hmm, I haven't heard anything besides the big hits by Whitesnake, but when I saw them live in 2004, the drummer played lots of double bass.

I've seen lots of this sort of thing, with bands of that era playing with the drummer set up with two bass drums, but I honestly think it's mainly for the asthetic, he;s not actually using them

gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm 

Post your question in the Hardrock/Glam help thread... DeathRiderDoom may help you

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 pm 

Stryper uses double bass, I know. I think at one time their drummer actually has a kit with four bass drums actually.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32 am 

Pippin_Took wrote:
mirons wrote:

I've seen lots of this sort of thing, with bands of that era playing with the drummer set up with two bass drums, but I honestly think it's mainly for the asthetic, he;s not actually using them

That might apply to Triumph whom I mentioned, but the drummer of Whitesnake DID use them a lot.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:55 am 

mirons wrote:
Pippin_Took wrote:
mirons wrote:

That might apply to Triumph whom I mentioned, but the drummer of Whitesnake DID use them a lot.

yeah, yeah, you're right, it's on the whitesnake dvd from that tour! i meant more generally in the 80s hard rock bands :D

Reply to topic