Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SoylentGreenIsPeople
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 am 

I'm looking for something like that. I'm not really into the ambient side of things, either. I prefer lots of chordal passages, without a lot of white noise sounding bits. Examples are Sunn 0)), Earth and Svetlana, during their beefier moments.

-The Administrators

AntiJoe88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 am 

Maybe Jesu.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:07 pm 

Continuum's Continuum II is what your looking for. They are not on the archives, and they seem generally unkown to metal fans (this probably has to do with the fact that they are largely considered ambient due to their debut). But Continuum II is most definitely a drone doom album.

The album consists of three tracks. The first one is mainly why Im throwing this rec at you. Its a 20+ minute, heavy as hell, slowly evolving guitar drone. Its as heavy as any other drone doom, yet the guitar is given much more room to breathe. This allows the guitar to really drive its riffs home. There is some ambience in the begining, but its simply there as an intro. This is probably one of the best drone doom songs I have ever heard, and its made by an artist not even known in the drone doom community.

The next two songs are less along the lines of what your looking for, but the variety of this album is what makes it stand out from other drone. The second song is a very srange and creepy ambient song, with guitar feedback and whispered vocals intertwined. The third and final song is a combination of the first two. The guitars don't really form riffs as they did in the first song, rather they ...well, drone on, spewing feedback everywhere. Much more so than the secomd track. Ambiance builds under the feedback, and eventually the guitars become so strong, that everything just disintigrates and collapses on itself at the end.

But really, if nothing else, you should hear the first track. Since they are not on MA, you can find an album page here: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... tinuum_ii/.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 am 

AntiJoe88 wrote:
Maybe Jesu.

..Except it has drums. nice work!

Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere have a terrible band name but should be what you're after. I find them a bit too minimalist myself, but there's a lot of Sunn worship and it's really, really heavy. Also, the Sunn tribute band Moonn will be right up your alley. Just don't bother with their earlier stuff as it's pretty average. All their stuff is up for free download on their site, too.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Reply to topic