Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:20 am 

I'm usually more of a black metal listener, but at the moment I feel like listening to some fun metal, preferably power. Keep in mind that I don't want anything too cheesy, but something that makes you feel awesome. Any recommendations?

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 am 

Heavy Load and VersOver. Fun, uplifting classic/power metal.

Also - perhaps not what you're looking for - but Korpiklaani personify fun metal for me!

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 am 

screamingstatue wrote:
Heavy Load and VersOver. Fun, uplifting classic/power metal.

Also - perhaps not what you're looking for - but Korpiklaani personify fun metal for me!

Heavy Load aren't really what I'm looking for. Vers'Over sound awesome, though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:58 pm 

W.A.S.P. - undoubtedly the board can agree with me on this one. Not cheesy in the least bit, but every second you listen to these guys makes you feel like the king of the world. Awesome, fun, concert / party heavy metal / hard rock that'll give you your kicks.

I can only recommend the first four albums at the moment because I haven't dug into the rest of their discography.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm 

You're being way too vague, that could be any power metal band. You need to do more than just say fun, save yourself being recommended Korpiklaani 200 times.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:19 pm 

Not Power Metal but, Municipal Waste have a really fun atmosphere to their music. And I find that Anaal Nathrakh's new album (In the Constellation of the Black Widow) makes me feel good (but I'm weird and that album would most likely scare anyone unprepared for it, metalhead or not). Though for Municipal Waste, if partying is what you consider cheesy, then avoid them.

Municipal Waste: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=7477
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:52 pm 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
You're being way too vague, that could be any power metal band. You need to do more than just say fun, save yourself being recommended Korpiklaani 200 times.

I know, but I really am just looking for something fun to listen to, nothing very specific...
Also, I already have Korpiklaani.

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
Not Power Metal but, Municipal Waste have a really fun atmosphere to their music. And I find that Anaal Nathrakh's new album (In the Constellation of the Black Widow) makes me feel good (but I'm weird and that album would most likely scare anyone unprepared for it, metalhead or not). Though for Municipal Waste, if partying is what you consider cheesy, then avoid them.

Municipal Waste: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=7477

Not really my kind of music. Can't stand the vocals.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:02 pm 

Yeah their vocals are a bit of an aquired taste.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:53 pm 

I think because Municipal Waste was mentioned, Tankard came to mind for me. Check out "Stone Cold Sober". Thrash that sings a lot about beer and just having fun, great stuff.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:46 pm 

[The Lord Weird] Slough Feg

EOS666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:53 pm 

The bands i think are really are fun are stuff like Municipal waste and Austrian Death Machine (i actually really like the album.) I love the concept of a thrash album about arnold schwartzenaggar.

My favorite party band is Falconer, me and my friends have had so many drunken sing alongs its crazy. Listen to the Clarion Call and you will want to sing it the rest of the night.

Shallow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 pm 

I'm shocked at the lack of Manowar in this thread... You might want some booze before you try it to not feel any cheese factor though...

I tend to go for something like Blind Guardian, extremely uplifting and in no way cheesy. Suppose it's more "epic" than "fun", but it works both ways for me.

MercyfulSatyr
Coelacanthine Cadaver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:28 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
W.A.S.P. - undoubtedly the board can agree with me on this one. Not cheesy in the least bit, but every second you listen to these guys makes you feel like the king of the world. Awesome, fun, concert / party heavy metal / hard rock that'll give you your kicks.

I can only recommend the first four albums at the moment because I haven't dug into the rest of their discography.

FUCK YES. The debut is amazing, especially "I Wanna Be Somebody" and "L.O.V.E. Machine." I've also heard excellent things about The Crimson Idol.

caspian wrote:
mercyfulsatyr: easily the most humble man on the board.

My reviews.

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:06 am 

Anything by Alestorm and Finntroll's Trollhammaren will make you want to dance and chug shitty, warm beer. Fun as hell to listen to.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:36 am 

Zimmer's Hole are an absolute blast to listen to. Featuring Gene Hoglan, Jed Simon, Byron Stroud and Chris Valagao (IMO one of the most versatile and under-rated vocalists in metal). Overall a have a death/speed/thrash sound, but they take influence and majorly take the piss out of a huge variety of 'metul' genres other the span of their three albums. Funny as hell, but fucking quality.

http://www.myspace.com/zimmershole

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 am 

Blind Guardian and Alestorm are exactly what I wanted! Thanks!

fatrat600284
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:17 pm 

Try the band Stratovarius they are a lot of fun to listen.

Eagle heart by Stratovarius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC_qxc2V ... annel_page

Batnobbit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:46 am 

Spacebar wrote:
Anything by Alestorm and Finntroll's Trollhammaren will make you want to dance and chug shitty, warm beer. Fun as hell to listen to.

Agree on these two.
It's not metal, but Primus always gets me in the mood. Try the albums Antipop, Frizzle Fry and Pork Soda.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 pm 

Totally agree with Lawnmower Deth funny as fuck, cant believe no-one mentioned early M.O.D, or S.O.D and some of Acid Reign.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:03 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
[The Lord Weird] Slough Feg
To me, this is the epitome of this topic

Man_who_lost_the_sun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm 

I back up Slough Feg, but also give Axehammer a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mPj9M_kFeQ

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 am 

Try out 5 Star Grave. Definitely does not sound like metal I would like, but they have a fun kind of groove that I can't explain. Their style is given as "Melodic Death Metal", but I judge that to be inaccurate. More Thrash/Groove. Think very early Anthrax with rough vocals.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:38 am 

Xeogred wrote:
I think because Municipal Waste was mentioned, Tankard came to mind for me. Check out "Stone Cold Sober". Thrash that sings a lot about beer and just having fun, great stuff.

Agreed, Tankard is fun, &/or funny. And fast, and heavy. :)

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:42 am 

When I think of "fun metal" I think of something that invokes a sense of happiness in me, not just funny music. It should be catchy and make you sing along. I agree on Municipal Waste that someone mentioned, but I'll throw in Eluveitie and Hibria too. Three very different bands.

xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:28 pm 

Devin Townsend's Zitloid The Omniscient is an absolute MUST. This album is one of the funnest, and one of the most awesome damn things I have ever listened to. It's all based around this ridiculous story Devin concocted.

An alien by the name of Ziltoid comes to earth demanding for the worlds greatest cup of coffee, in order to power his time machine. Earth makes coffee, Ziltoid does not like it, and he blows up the planet. Captain Spectacular, and the group of survivors he managed to fit in his ship, escape the planet before it explodes. Sometime later on, Captian Spectacular kicks Ziltoids ass. Ziltoid gets depressed, and summons "The Planet Smasher" (who is some dude named Hermon, who happens to hate musicals) so he can destroy a planet for fun. The musical-hating Planet Smasher denies him, and Ziltoid becomes even more disheartened. He then goes to the Omni-dimensional creator for guidance. The creator is a huge fucking pothead. They have an exchange, and a dude wakes up in a coffee shop, the whole story being some (porbably drug induced) day dream.

Now. Combine THAT ridiculous plot with the fact that, a) the album is funny as hell and b) it also happens to be some of the most cinematic and well crafted music I've heard in a long time. Seriously, the music can easily stand alone, as this album is not just some novelty. The story just brings on humor as a bonus.

I dare you not to headbang with an ear-to-ear grin as Devin Townsend screams "Im Ziltoid! I don't give a shit! I live above earth in a big rocket ship!"

Rottenrectum wrote:
When I think of "fun metal" I think of something that invokes a sense of happiness in me, not just funny music. It should be catchy and make you sing along. I agree on Municipal Waste that someone mentioned, but I'll throw in Eluveitie and Hibria too. Three very different bands.

Not only is "The Ziltiod Album" funny, the album is musically extremely well crafted, will be sure to invoke a sense of happiness, is VERY catchy, will make you headbang until the point of whiplash, and will be sure to make you sing along.

Last edited by xJx_Joshua_xJx on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HugeTheConqueror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am 

For some fun, I'd recommend Swashbuckle, which is pirate-themed Thrash. They can be kinda polarizing, since a lot of folks seem to dislike their gimmick, but it is fun, and the music is pretty good as well.

Also check out a band called Sterbhaus, which is headed up by the guy from Elvira Madigan. Their Swedish DM with a kind of Ramones-like sense of humor. Songs like "STD fur Alle" and "Chili Con-Carnage and the Tex-Mexican: were obviously written with tongue in cheek,

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:30 am 

Anthrax's "Among The Living" is all you need, buddy.

Fpqxz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:06 am 

Mezentus wrote:
Anthrax's "Among The Living" is all you need, buddy.

I'll see your Among the Living and raise you Spreading the Disease. There's an album which makes me smile every time I listen to it, no matter how depressed I am.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:39 pm 

Municipal Waste is probably the biggest example. Alestorm, Tankard and Crisix are also some good ones.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic