Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:40 am 

Hi,

Which crust/punk bands would you recommend for the beginner, already familiar with such classical punk/hardcore bands like discharge, exploited, G.B.H? it would be nice to hear raw dirty bands with great vocal (I imagine something like Nocturno Culto in latest Darkthrone output).
Although I prefer to buy original stuff, it would be nice if I could find recommended albums in the web for a first listening.
Thank you.

Neantise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:55 am 

Crust:
Amebix - Arise!
Doom - Total Doom
Extreme Noise Terror - Holocaust in Your Head
Hellbastard - Natural Order and Ripper Crust
His Hero his Gone - Everything in chronological order
Nausea - Punk Terrorist Anthology
Skitsystem - Everything (their music is legal to download)
Wolkpack - A New Dawn Fades

Hardcore punk:
Siege - Drop Dead and Cleanse the Bacteria (very influential band for extreme punk music)
Poison idea - Feel the Darkness (the best hardcore punk album from America)

Punk:
The Misfits - Static Age
Rudimentary Peni - Death Church

Powerviolence:
Infest - No Man's Slave
Man Is the Bastard - D.I.Y.C.D.
Capitalist Casualities - Split w/ Hellnation and Subdivisions in Ruin
Hellnation: Split with Capitalist Casualties
Charles Bronson - Complete Discocrappy
Spazz - Crush Kill Destroy
Last.fm

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:44 am 

i know a fair bit about punk if you want some recs. i advise statring with some of the early 80's hardcore stuff. ive got tonnes of it and absolutely love it, you could go with straight up early 80s bratty hardcore like the always impressive ADOLESCENTS

if you want stuff in the vein of GBH, DISCHARGE, check out scandinavian hardcore bands in this vein TOTALITAR etc

if you want new hardcore thats emotional epic and heavy as fuck, check out TRAGEDY - an awesome, furious and dark hardcore act (his hero is gone is made of some of the same staff)

if you want straight up 70s punk rock, get DEAD BOYS, DEAD KENNEDYS, TSOL

if you want crossover/thrash stuff get DRI, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES, EXCEL, BEOWULF

neantise also had some good recs. hope this helps.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:39 am 

Since I'm more familiar with newer hardcore, crust, and powerviolence, I'll just recommend you some more modern stuff. They aren''t beginner-type recommendations really, although they are definitely good.

Trap Them are one of my favorite bands under that banner by far. They play some mean Swedish death metal-influenced crust punk, and inject a bit of grind-esque speed into some songs and swing with a slow doomy vibe on some others. I recommend either their Seance Prime EP or Sleepwell Deconstructer.

Cursed is another one of my favorites. They sport a thick and heavy guitar tone as well, though they don't use manic speed blasts as much as midtempo anthems. III has some of their best songs (Friends in the Music Business, Into the Hive, Antihero Rescuscitator), though II is by far their most consistent. I has some great ones on it as well.

Morne (US) is excellent if you want mid-paced, atmospheric, epic, crust punk with some thrash injected in the riffs. They're labelled as atmospheric sludge on the Archives, which isn't completely innacurate though they are defintiely more crust than sludge. Their demo is quite something.

I've heard Bruce Banner labelled as both hardcore and powerviolence. I would go with the former tag, and also add that they have some fast, anthemic, and catchy tunes with slight hints of rock. Check out I've had It With Humanity.

Mammoth Grinder is excellent, the band I credit with pulling me back into hardcore after I spent some time delving into grindcore and thrash metal. Their No Results EP is some heavy, pissed-off hardcore while Rage and Ruin is a melting pot of nearly-bluesy rock, and noisy hardcore and sludge. "God Is Stuck In A Black Hole" is one of my favorites off that album and it is as heavy as it sounds.

When it comes to modern powerviolence, you can't go wrong with Extortion and Ceremony. They're two of the fastest bands that fall under the overall subgenre of punk, and definitely some of the most pissed off. Extortion sounds like a riotous basement show: loud, trashy, sweaty, chaotic while Ceremony sounds a bit like the inside of the head of a terminally-pissed off fellow who just had a half-dozen pots of coffee in the morning. I would recommend the Terminal Cancer EP and Violence Violence respectively. Pretty much any Extortion release is worth checking out, though Terminal Cancer serves as a nice introduction to their sound, not that it changes very much.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the stuff I recommended. I can upload 'em for you if you want, since most of the blogs that provide links don't put too much care into getting the stuff organized.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

Last edited by Axel_Sikth on Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:25 am 

Thanx for answering, guys.
Axel_Sikth, I would appreciate if you upload some best pieces of bands you have recommended.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:52 am 

No problem. Give me a moment. I'll let you know when they're done.
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

http://www.last.fm/user/Axel_Sikth

CosmicFugue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:27 pm 

Visions of War, Warcollapse, War All The Time, War Crimes, Diskelma, Ristisaatto, Yacopsae, Wojczech, Step On It, Sick Terror, World Burns to Death, Boxed In, Sawn Off, Defeatist, Doom, DS-13, Civil Disobedience, Toxic Shock, Sanity's Dawn, Amebix, Shitstorm, Skitsystem, Wolfpack/Wolfbrigade, Disclose, Slight Slappers, Sylvester Staline, The Process, Shank, Cursed, The Total End, Venomous Concept, Voetsek, Extinction of Mankind, Leadershit, Fighting Shit, Fuck I'm Dead, Gurkha, Mob 47, Flyblown, Fukpig, Martyrdod, Seein Red, MDC, The Let Down, Valhalla Pacifists, Duck Stab, Whole In The Head, Bickle's Cab, Only Fumes and Corpses, Easpa Measa, The Boy You Hit Is Dead, Malignant Tumour, Red Insect, Red Dawn, See You In Hell, Homoconsumens, Mass Genocide Process, Infeckja, My Mind's Mine, Give Up All Hope, Afterbirth, Wardead, Amok Atak, Man Is The Bastard, Siege, Rupture, Noisear, Phobia, Anaeroba...

That should keep you busy.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:10 pm 

Try looking into Japanese crust. G.I.S.M. and Syphilitic Vaginas in particular are really good. Both have a bit of a metal edge (moreseo SV than G.I.S.M.), both are raw and pretty unrelenting.

For more straight-up hardcore, look into Sick of it All and Cruel Hand.

Reply to topic