Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:47 pm 

I am a person who has serious problems with relaxing. I am always worried, nervous and so and I really need to learn to manage this. If there is anyone who is experienced in managing stress and know good methods; could you give me some advice in how to do so and maybe recomennd me some metal songs/albums that are useful for this purpose. I planned to get Karl Sanders album, as it seems very atmospheric and calm.

And yay, post 666 :hail: :evil:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Last edited by mjaeltbrand on Sun May 17, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:12 pm 

Wolves in the Throne Room definitely. Also I like to listen to some funeral doom when I relax, like Mournful Congregation or Ahab.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:30 pm 

Yeah Funeral Doom is good for relaxing, only Funeral Doom Bands I know are Ahab (Funeral Doom), Worphlegm (Drone/Funeral), and Abyssmal Sorrow (Blackened Funeral). And you are prohibited from ever posting again, unless something replaces 666.

Ahab http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35791
Wormphlegm http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=14424
Abyssmal Sorrow http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=101469
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

Seymour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

Funeral doom is really great, like they said. My favorite funeral doom band is called Funeral. Go figure. But their song "Those Fated to Fall" is really great.
Even this one I have where Jesus Christ is jackhammering Mickey Mouse in the doo-doo hole with a lawn dart while Garth Brooks gives birth to something resembling a cheddar cheese log with almonds out of Santa Claus's tummy tum?

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:52 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys, but funeral doom and drone is not really my cup of tea :( I would love more ambient stuff, especially with middle-eastern influences, such as Karl Sanders solo stuff. Or female chanting like one of the track here http://www.myspace.com/wolvesinthethroneroom
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Neantise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:44 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys, but funeral doom and drone is not really my cup of tea :( I would love more ambient stuff, especially with middle-eastern influences, such as Karl Sanders solo stuff. Or female chanting like one of the track here http://www.myspace.com/wolvesinthethroneroom

Do you know Muslimgauze? It is ambient music with strong middle-eastern influences, though I do not know if it is similar to Karl Sanders' music since I have never heard it. I recommend you to listen to the albums called "Citadel" and "Zul'm".

http://www.muslimgauze.info/releases/citadel.html
http://www.muslimgauze.info/releases/zul%27m.html
Last.fm

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:59 pm 

You might like Ulver's Shadows of the Sun in that case, it's not exactly ambient but it has a great atmosphere to it and it is definitely quite relaxing. Also I find listening listening to some Drukh does tons for me when I need to relax, particularly the album Forgotten Legends. And might also like some acoustic stuff, for that check out some October Falls stuff like the albums Marras or Sarastus.

...uh oh...

...too late.

~Guest 186985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 pm 

listen to pandemonic hyperblast by anaal nathrakh... Just kidding.

Maybe cult of luna, ahab or neurosis. For me agalloch is the best band for this purpose. For the middle eastern and ambient maybe grails or biosphere.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:27 pm 

Check out the first few Mortiis albums.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:39 pm 

Maybe some Sabbath or just good old Funeral Doom. Perhaps Candlemass.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:09 pm 

I find that albums with a lot of acoustic arrangements, often mixed with electric arrangements, can help me relieve stress in my life. Albums that can do this are:

Agalloch - The White EP
Black Label Society - Hangover Music Volume VI
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysfar Ty (The best one for stress IMO)
Borknagar - Origin

Sometimes though, I need pure aggression and power to help me calm my nerves. In that case, Bolt Thrower is numero uno.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:47 am 

Megadeth's 90's material. Hidden Treasures, Risk and Cryptic Writings especially.

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Megadeth's 90's material. Hidden Treasures, Risk and Cryptic Writings especially.

And Dawn Patrol...

George Gobel wrote:
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching tv by candlelight.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 am 

ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

And Dawn Patrol...

Err, what?

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:44 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

And Dawn Patrol...

Err, what?

Its a slower song by Megadeth off the album Rust In Peace. Pretty calming in a way.

George Gobel wrote:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:50 am 

De Hominis Dignitate, Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, Thisquietarmy, etc. are a few. By the way, not metal, but try Rachel's-The Sea and the Bells. Just NEVER EVER listen to track 8 (The Sirens). I mean it.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:56 am 

ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

And Dawn Patrol...

Err, what?

Its a slower song by Megadeth off the album Rust In Peace. Pretty calming in a way.

It's kind of irritating, and I've always thought of it as an interlude that leads into the colossal title track.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am 

Celtic_Fire_666 wrote:
Yeah Funeral Doom is good for relaxing, only Funeral Doom Bands I know are Ahab (Funeral Doom), Worphlegm (Drone/Funeral), and Abyssmal Sorrow (Blackened Funeral). And you are prohibited from ever posting again, unless something replaces 666.

Ahab http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=35791
Wormphlegm http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=14424
Abyssmal Sorrow http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=101469

Wormphlegm is the last thing you want to listen to if you're trying to relax.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:52 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

And Dawn Patrol...

Err, what?

It's kind of irritating, and I've always thought of it as an interlude that leads into the colossal title track.

The guy wants to relax not headbang so much that he gets a sore neck. And risk will probably give him a huge stress attack.

If u wanna relax nothing works better than Camel. Try their moonmadness slow, calm music that can soothe anyone. Whenever I am irritated or freaked out I put it on. If it works for you, try Mirage and Rain Dances as well.

ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm 

Anyway, The Project Hate MCMXCIX is in a way calming, despite the band being "heavy".
Though I think they're highly over-rated, Limbonic Art is pretty calming.
Ambient isn't really my thing, but I find Acronychal Ritual pretty interesting.
I'd also suggest Gothic Metal if you like that kind of thing.

George Gobel wrote:

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
ApocalypticxAngel wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:

And Dawn Patrol...

Err, what?

The guy wants to relax not headbang so much that he gets a sore neck. And risk will probably give him a huge stress attack.

If u wanna relax nothing works better than Camel. Try their moonmadness slow, calm music that can soothe anyone. Whenever I am irritated or freaked out I put it on. If it works for you, try Mirage and Rain Dances as well.

So you're saying that Cryptic Writings and Hidden Treasures are headbangable material? Partly, but they are more comforting, especially hidden treasures with songs like Breakpoint and Angry Again.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:42 pm 

My statement was more metaphorical than literal. My pt is, Megadeth is not something that u ll recco to someone asking for stressbusters. I ll admit that tracks like Peace Sells and Tornado of souls help me unwind. But these or the tracks u mentioned do not match what the OP wants. And Angry Again though slow is a somewhat aggressive no. No way a comforting song in the conventional way of things.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm 

Riverside's softer stuff is good for relaxing. Loose Heart, The Curtain Falls, Acronym Love, and the like. As is Opeth's softer stuff (Benighted, all of Damnation, etc.)

Also try the Norwegian band Vali. They're acoustic folk. Very relaxing. There's also Nest if you want something similar but more ambient.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 pm 

Machine Head's album "The Blackening" is full of fury and great for releasing the stress of the day. And it's a genuinely great album.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:45 pm 

Opeth's album Damnation and Agalloch's album Ashes in the Grain are fantastic. I find other Opeth songs like Silhouette and To Bid You Farewell, as well as the incredible Patterns in the Ivy, to be very good as well.

I also find Rush, specifically the album Moving Pictures, to be very relaxing. Songs like Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye and Witchhunt are incredible.

The Moonsorrow song Matkan Lopussa is also very relaxing. The rest of the album (Kivenkantaja) is quite good, too.

Death's two instrumentals, Cosmic Sea and Voice of the Soul, are both quite relaxing too, as are Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan and Solitude.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:19 am 

Korpiklaani, Black Messiah, Ensiferum and a lot of folk metal.

Also a bubch of NSBM can calm me down, like Aryan Blood and Aryan Terrorism.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:59 am 

Not really metal, but I second the earlier Grails recommendation. Awesome band. It's instrumental post-rock stuff but isn't your typical GY!BE/Mogwai/Tortoise worship. Instead it has a strong Middle Eastern influence. It has some louder, more "brutal" heavy moments that border on metal but they maintain a pretty relaxing atmosphere throughout. Recommended albums: Red Light, The Burden of Hope and Doomsdayer's Holiday. Their entire discography is worthwhile, though.

They do have connections to the metal community, however: their drummer/lead guitarist is now the drummer for Om and the band was signed to Neurot for a time.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 am 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
My statement was more metaphorical than literal. My pt is, Megadeth is not something that u ll recco to someone asking for stressbusters. I ll admit that tracks like Peace Sells and Tornado of souls help me unwind. But these or the tracks u mentioned do not match what the OP wants. And Angry Again though slow is a somewhat aggressive no. No way a comforting song in the conventional way of things.

Whatever. I always found songs like Trust, Almost Honest, Use the Man, Breakpoint, Angry Again, and Breadline very calm and nice songs to chill out too.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:00 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
ScourgeOfDeath wrote:

Whatever. I always found songs like Trust, Almost Honest, Use the Man, Breakpoint, Angry Again, and Breadline very calm and nice songs to chill out too.

To each his own.

On topic, i think Opeth's lighter work is great for relaxing. A particular song that comes to mind is Death whispered a lullaby.
Also a lot of DT songs like Another day are great for relaxing. I actually think that most of progressive meets your needs.

key2thegate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm 

Try Opeth's album Damnation. Its not one of their metal albums but the songs are very soothing and emotional. Also listen to Burzum's ambient albums.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:00 am 

Ildjarn - Hardangervidda, this is an ambient album that I found to be pretty relaxing.

Forgotten Land - Samhain - Autumn is generally relaxing, to me at least.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:15 am 

Neofolk is you thing, really. Try Tenhi, Neun Welten, or perhaps L'Orchestre Noir, not neofolk, but rather beautiful and soothing orchestral music.

You could also try some Dornenreich. Hexenwind is very quiet, calm rock (with some black metal screeches), and In Luft geritzt is an all acoustic/violin album.

Cinerary
Fuckin' killed a guy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:33 am 

If I want to relax I usually put Akercocke's "Lex Tailonis" on repeat.

That's some soothing shit.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:35 pm 

For ambient, I recommend Kauas Koskematon album by Jääportit, but I am not sure that is what you're looking for. I like it for ambient, though.

For electronic ambientish mideastern music, I can recommend Senmuth, but to find what you're looking for among the chaos of 60 albums, well... But that is also a style he does.

Xeroxification
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm 

Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient has some great relaxation metal.

"Hyperdrive", "Solar Winds", and "The Greys" all work well.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 am 

If I get stressed, Celtic Frost's Montheist does wonders.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:42 am 

Early Opeth is really good for that kind of thing, it's just easy to zone out to and enjoy.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic