Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:34 pm 

Hey guys,

I'm into bands like.. Cradle of Filth, Old Man's Child, Gloomy Grim, Soulfallen, Six Feet Under, Graveworm.

I'm looking for some bands rather similar, doesn't have to have keyboards.. I just find it ads to the creepy atmosphere.

I'm not into overly brutal stuff like Cannibal Corpse, yet I'm not into the super medolic stuff like Children of Bodom.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

666_International
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:00 pm 

I know they're not exactly obscure, but if you haven't listened to Summoning, I think you'd enjoy them.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 am 

darknecrotic wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm into bands like.. Cradle of Filth
I'm not into the super medolic stuff like Children of Bodom.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

I've found Cradle of Filth to be pretty melodic, but maybe it's just the albums I've heard. So I may have a little trouble.

That said, it sounds like you're not really aware of the less mainstream metal bands, so you're in luck! There's a whole world opening up to you.

Absu's new album may be up your alley, as it features some keyboards for a rather nice atmosphere. It can be a little harsh at times, but then again, if you can suffer through Six Feet Under and Cradle of Filth... (hint: those are pretty terrible bands.)

Sigh is also bordering on required listening on this board. Hangman's Hymn is probably their best, but not necessarily the most accessible. If you can find Scorn Defeat or Scenario IV: Dread Dreams, you might find those a bit easier to get into. Imaginary Sonicscape is another fan favorite, but that album's a bit weird all around. They've also got a new one coming out sometime soon, so keep an eye out for that. If you don't mind 10-ish minute long tracks, Infidel Art is another great album. Oh yeah, and Mirai is a hell of a keyboardist.

For creepy atmosphere, there's a ton of dark ambient material out there. The Axis Of Perdition and Abruptum are the two acts I'd start with. Some people don't like Axis, but I find they're good for what they do. Abruptum is just creepy stuff all around. These are not going to be the most "metal" acts out there, but they're great for atmosphere.

Start checking out those, and let me know what you think. Thing is, you're coming from a rather generic side of metal, so how you feel about these groups is going to be far more helpful for future recommendations.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 am 

Check out Lamia Antitheus for some (old) Cradle of Filth worship stuff. Their music seems directly taken from Dusk... and Her Embrace or V Empire.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 am 

The two first full lengths of Hecate Enthroned might satisfy you, seeing as you are into CoF and the like. Assuming you haven't heard of them, that is.

You could also enjoy Abyssos, and maybe Ajattara (early-mid), if you don't mind the fact it's sung in Finnish.

Also seconded Lamia Antitheus.

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:41 am 

Ribos wrote:
I've found Cradle of Filth to be pretty melodic, but maybe it's just the albums I've heard. So I may have a little trouble.

Right, Cradle Of Filth have melody.. but aren't overly melodic like bands such as Children of Bodom, anything where half the song is just a mess of guitar solos.. of course just my opinion.

Ribos wrote:
That said, it sounds like you're not really aware of the less mainstream metal bands, so you're in luck! There's a whole world opening up to you.

Absu's new album may be up your alley, as it features some keyboards for a rather nice atmosphere. It can be a little harsh at times, but then again, if you can suffer through Six Feet Under and Cradle of Filth... (hint: those are pretty terrible bands.)

I'm somewhat aware of the less manstream metal bands (Gloomy Grim, Soulfallen also listen to Bishop of Hexen), although most people hate Cradle of Filth, Six Feet Under whatever.. My guess is you think I listened to something like Nymphetamine or Thornography (mainstream, somewhat sucky CoF albums.) First album I listened to was Midian which is when they weren't so mainstream, and I loved it. I also love Principle Of Evil Made Flesh, Dusk, their new album ain't bad either Godspeed.

As for Six Feet Under, I haven't found many other mid-tempo death metal which such a dark feel but.. haven't looked much.

I checked out Absu, wasn't really into it.

Ribos wrote:
Sigh is also bordering on required listening on this board. Hangman's Hymn is probably their best, but not necessarily the most accessible. If you can find Scorn Defeat or Scenario IV: Dread Dreams, you might find those a bit easier to get into. Imaginary Sonicscape is another fan favorite, but that album's a bit weird all around. They've also got a new one coming out sometime soon, so keep an eye out for that. If you don't mind 10-ish minute long tracks, Infidel Art is another great album. Oh yeah, and Mirai is a hell of a keyboardist.

Pretty good, I like this.

Ribos wrote:
For creepy atmosphere, there's a ton of dark ambient material out there. The Axis Of Perdition and Abruptum are the two acts I'd start with. Some people don't like Axis, but I find they're good for what they do. Abruptum is just creepy stuff all around. These are not going to be the most "metal" acts out there, but they're great for atmosphere.

Seemed alright, but not something I could listen to all the time.. I'd like like something a bit more up beat i guess.

Belial_ wrote:
Check out Lamia Antitheus for some (old) Cradle of Filth worship stuff. Their music seems directly taken from Dusk... and Her Embrace or V Empire.

I really liked them, seems right up my alley.

Deviante wrote:
The two first full lengths of Hecate Enthroned might satisfy you, seeing as you are into CoF and the like. Assuming you haven't heard of them, that is.

You could also enjoy Abyssos, and maybe Ajattara (early-mid), if you don't mind the fact it's sung in Finnish.

Also seconded Lamia Antitheus.

Yea I'm into Hecate Entroned, I checked out Abyssos which i like.. Ajattara seemed alright, probably because I can't understand them.. lol

As always I appreciate everyones help.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:07 pm 

Dimmu Borgir released an ablum a few years ago that had a pretty creepy keyboard solo...

Peccociel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm 

Ancient's "The Cainian Chronicle" is an amazing album with great keyboard work. Very similar to CoF thematically.

Gotmoor, an obscure Belgian BM band, makes great use of keyboards. It's like CoF, raw, in the woods, and organic. Highly recommended!!!

I agree with the guy who recommended Hecate Enthroned, they sound like they are right up your alley.

Nered
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:01 pm 

You want creepy ? Go for Lunar Aurora

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:06 pm 

Thanks for all the recommendations, so far they're all good.

A band I found on my own of my likings is Apostasy (Swe) good stuff.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 pm 

Try Tartaros: http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=2375

Very similar yet very different from some of the bands you've listed.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:25 pm 

Ribos wrote:

Yeah the new Absu has a great atmosphere a lot cosmic sounding maybe a little creepy at the same time. But Scorn Defeat may be an album you want to check out, it has keyboards which are creepy most of the time and the album has a really dark sound overall with some kind of ocarina sounding flute and even some triangles.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 pm 

Sigh was mentioned above, but if you want CREEPY, get their album "Infidel Art". That has some creepy as fuck black metal mixed with keyboard/synth stuff. Love that album.

Leviathan's "Tentacles of Whorror" might be up your alley. Not really "up-beat", but definitely dark with some ambiance.

I second Lunar Aurora.

Have you listened to Emperor yet? Their debut album "In The Nightside Eclipse" seems to be exactly what you want. And mind you, Emperor are the ones who stopped wearing corpsepaint because they thought Cradle of Filth were poseurs :P

Not really any keyboards in this album, but have you checked out Celtic Frost's last release, "Monotheist"? That seems to be relatively close to your "creepy" request.

Dysthymia's demo/EP "Rapere" is what I would definitely recommend for this specific request.

Hope I helped at least a little bit :D

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 am 

I'm getting into Opera IX. Pretty solid black metal band with a chick lead singer. Pretty good use of creepy organ music too.

Reply to topic