Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:47 pm 

Basically I'm looking for more albums in the vein of Abigor's Nachthymnen. Maybe not necessarily the same sound, per-se, but something with songs that have a lot of different parts, which demands full attention to be absorbed, and doesn't just fade into the background like most black metal does.
Recent Deathspell Omega and Negura Bunget would also fit the bill, but I'd prefer something a bit more melodic [in the conventional sense].

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:07 am 

Akroma. Not really similar to either one of the three bands mentioned (well, maybe Abigor), but still very varied (almost proggy), demanding black metal. They have some very melodic parts, what with violins and some female vocals here and there, but are still very intense. The vocals, specially.

hisownfoot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 am 

Akroma, named after MTG lol.

Ok, I would suggest Agalloch, not really as black metal as DsO and Negura, but still very dynamic and good. Ne Obliviscaris is another one that would do well.

I think your best bet though would be Fen or Cobalt's Gin. Both are very varied in composition.

Kerbenok's O might also work, although that is just a straight up weird album.

That is actually a really hard request. When I decided to respond I figured it would not be so challenging. Good thread.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:16 am 

Kathaarsys are highly recommended, particularly Portrait of Wind and Sorrow. Audible bass, great clean and harsh vocals, lots of melody and interchangeable sections that contrast one another well. Criminally underrated.

Direwolf technical black metal - almost speaks for itself!

Apotheosis. Maltese black metal? If you say so! Widely varied band that incorporates thrash and symphonic music. Great bass, once again, keys-guitar combo that remind me slightly of the old Arcturus sound.

Might not be precisely what you're after, but it is what was first to mind in terms of complex black metal.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:35 am 

Quite interested in anything that may satisfy the original request. Nachthymnen is an album I hold in quite high regard.
Going through somewhat of a music rut at the moment so I'm having a difficult time thinking of something to contribute.
Maybe look to their countrymen Estatic Fear The instrumentation is quite varied, though the pacing is much slower and the compositions easier to comprehend. Very pleasant melodies throughout.

I'll second Apotheosis as well.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:30 pm 

Abyssos, a black metal band with alot of melodeath/black influences. Great band, great riffing and changes, and some cool solos!

I also second Ne Obliviscaris.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:39 am 

Bloodrain.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic