Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Expedience
Veteran

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:22 am
Posts: 3732
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:18 am 
 

I'm looking for bands you can't place in a genre. I can't really give examples but you mustn't be able to say they "they play x metal"

Perhaps it's easier to describe what i'm NOT looking for:
-bands which are a mish-mash of genres
-novelty bands which play a definable style but with weird instruments or ultra long/short songs
-bands which are weird for the sake of weird

Thank you!

Top
 Profile  
Luisangel91
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 239
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:28 am 
 

only band that comes to mind is amon amarth since it is confusing to decide whether they are viking or melodic death

Top
 Profile  
k_eine
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:16 am
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 am 
 

I suppose "Die Apokalyptischen Reiter" is not what you are looking for. They are in the first group.
Amon Amarth is more melodeath than viking. Viking Death Metal

Top
 Profile  
Hollywars
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm
Posts: 142
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:38 am 
 

Painkiller. Jazz-grind kind of.

Top
 Profile  
MrVegard
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 pm
Posts: 60
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:44 am 
 

Agalloch perhaps?

Top
 Profile  
Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 1420
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 am 
 

Gigantic Brain. Can't say I'm a big fan of theirs, but I don't think you can actually put them in any concrete genre.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:35 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:35 am 
 

Maybe The Green Evening Requiem? Listed on this site as Doom/Black, but they're more like blackened and dark progressive metal. It is a confusing mix of things.

Top
 Profile  
Nyaricus
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 1241
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:29 pm 
 

Lykathea Aflame comes to mind; they are rooted in death metal, but after that things get weird.... you have grindcore-style drumming, the guitars go from melodic to brutal like nothing, all in an incrediably technical and progressive was, the vocals are either spoken word or insanely deep brutal death growls and there are all these little atmospheric parts added in by synths - oh, and of course they also have an 11 minute ambient outro with birds and nature sounds.

It's not so much that they are a mix of genres (though there is that) so much as just utterly intense and so freaking complex that it just boggles the mind and one would have a retarded time trying to define what they are in any sort of meaningful way.

Great band though. HIGHLY recommended.
_________________
Hoarfrost MB BM

"Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't."
-Doomsday

Top
 Profile  
theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:24 am
Posts: 2262
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
 

I know an underground band called FemalePenis that is blend of lots of shit on first couple albums from rap to pornogrind.

Meshuggah,

Top
 Profile  
Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm
Posts: 2641
Location: U.S.
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
 

Sólstafir's Masterpiece of Bitterness, in particular, transcends all genre classifcations. I highly recommend checking it out. ;)
_________________
In pale light I wander on

Top
 Profile  
thrashfan07
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 pm
Posts: 925
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:42 pm 
 

I've been told that Portal are quite odd, but I'm guilty of not having listened to them myself yet :P
_________________
Galaahd wrote:
When my mom saw my Sodom shirt she thought I was homosexual.

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1589
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:54 pm 
 

Neurosis. They fit everywhere and nowhere. Also Gnaw Their Tongues. I guess you can call them black ambient but not exactly...

Top
 Profile  
Recapitation
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 am
Posts: 159
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 pm 
 

Tombs has to be the most genre defying band I've ever heard. They take influence from shoegaze, post-rock, black metal, hardcore punk, and everything in between.

http://www.myspace.com/tombsbklyn
_________________
Carrion Wyrm, Dallas Death Metal: aliens, active substances, and ancient beasts.

Top
 Profile  
ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 207
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:58 pm 
 

Meshuggah, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Macabre (unless you wanna say Murder Metal), Wintersun (somewhat), and Faith No More are some examples...

Top
 Profile  
Nochielo
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 am
Posts: 1589
Location: Puerto Rico
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 am 
 

Recapitation wrote:
Tombs has to be the most genre defying band I've ever heard. They take influence from shoegaze, post-rock, black metal, hardcore punk, and everything in between.

http://www.myspace.com/tombsbklyn

Tombs is great, I own Winterhours and it's a damn good album, very hard to tag as well, but very short. Feels very natural, they are not trying to be something they are not.

Top
 Profile  
LordGothic
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 324
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 am 
 

Luisangel91 wrote:
only band that comes to mind is amon amarth since it is confusing to decide whether they are viking or melodic death


are you for real?

Top
 Profile  
Yazalde70
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm
Posts: 36
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:43 pm 
 

Root and Diablo Swing Orchestra are two safe bets. Beyond Twilight are another band who defy pigeonholing but my personal favourite has to be the Japanese "maestro" You Oshima of Kadenzza.
_________________
Daemoni Na Hoiche

Top
 Profile  
Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 31
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:18 am 
 

My response would be Voivod and Gorguts... both started as metal and became much stranger...

Top
 Profile  
morbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 am
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:09 pm 
 

Although many do not consider them 'metal', I'd say Melt Banana
Simply because they are loud as fuck (especially their old material and live) ...and because fundamentalists do not think of them of 'metal'... reason enough I'd say ;)

And there was Thanatos, since their second album they've never been able to choose between Thrash and Death... (and many morw with'em..)
_________________
Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Top
 Profile  
iAm
Wastelander

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am
Posts: 5630
Location: West of the Duwamish due South of the Sound
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:19 pm 
 

Cynic and Mr Bungle are both very strange and are hard to classify as a genre. In fact, I can't think of anything that can describe their music. Pan.Thy.Monium too, they are mind blowing. Although deeply rooted in Progressive Death Metal they are very strange.

Lugubrum might be worth a shot. It is straight up Black Metal, but fuck they have so much weird stuff going on that all flows right. I think they fall into the final category though.
_________________
iamntbatman wrote:
If the U.N. flew a bunch of C130's over Syria and rained down boxes of Thin Mints, they'd be standing in a giant circle hand-in-hand singing like goddamn Whoville residents within an hour.

I hate music

Top
 Profile  
xJx_Joshua_xJx
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:10 pm
Posts: 111
Location: Korea, South
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 am 
 

A lot of people here are forgetting that the OP did not want a band that simply mish-mashed genres.

Expedience, if you haven't heard of them already, you really need to look into Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They are not considered to be metal by the archives, but in my opinion, they have a very metallic base for their insanely original sound. Somehow, this band has managed to create a completely unique sound that no one else has even come close to. I really can't describe them, which is all the more reason for you to check them out. Creepy shit.

Ulver's album Blood Inside is completely indescribable. I have had it for over a year, and I still cant completely wrap my mind around it. Although, this is one of Ulver's non-metal albums, so Im not sure if its want you want. But it is really good stuff; one of my favorite albums.

Also, I would like to mention Kayo Dot. Im a bit reluctant to mention them because of the "mish-mash of genres thing": I suppose it would be possible to describe them as a collision of sludge, post-rock, indie rock (maybe?), and classical with some occasional jazzy elements. But even that long-winded description is unable to really capture their sound. So you may want to chekc them out as well.

Top
 Profile  
Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:02 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:12 am 
 

Nochielo wrote:
Neurosis. They fit everywhere and nowhere. Also Gnaw Their Tongues. I guess you can call them black ambient but not exactly...


I agree with Gnaw Their Tongues. I guess they are a mish mash but the finished product doesn't sound much to me like any of the indivudual influencing genres.

I konw this isn't what the OP was looking for but Altar Of Plagues are another suggestion. They ususally get called "Post-Black Metal" but that genre is a bit redundant because all the bands who get called that don't really sound much alike.
_________________
Check out my fanzine- http://www.myspace.com/blazeinthenornsky

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

Top
 Profile  
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 am
Posts: 4806
Location: Venestraya
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 am 
 

morbert wrote:
Although many do not consider them 'metal', I'd say Melt Banana
Simply because they are loud as fuck (especially their old material and live) ...and because fundamentalists do not think of them of 'metal'... reason enough I'd say ;)


Are you insinuating that you believe Melt Banana to be metal? If so, you're clearly insane. Melt Banana, while amazingly awesome, do not even attempt to make their music even remotely metal.

thrashfan07 wrote:
I've been told that Portal are quite odd, but I'm guilty of not having listened to them myself yet :P


They are, but not "genreless" odd.

Top
 Profile  
morbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 am
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:25 am 
 

Bezerko wrote:
morbert wrote:
Although many do not consider them 'metal', I'd say Melt Banana
Simply because they are loud as fuck (especially their old material and live) ...and because fundamentalists do not think of them of 'metal'... reason enough I'd say ;)


Are you insinuating that you believe Melt Banana to be metal? If so, you're clearly insane. Melt Banana, while amazingly awesome, do not even attempt to make their music even remotely metal.


Nope, there are NOT metal but as I said they crush about 50% of all standard metal around in terms of uniqueness and loudness, especially live.

And yes, I am insane. else I would not listen to Melt Banana.
_________________
Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Top
 Profile  
cinedracusio
Metalhead

Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 7:59 am
Posts: 493
Location: Romania
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:43 am 
 

Hollywars wrote:
Painkiller. Jazz-grind kind of.


Oh yeah.
There are a shitload of bands that come close to metal and beat the ass of many metal bands in heaviness, complexity etc.
Just check out Caspar Brotzmann, Last Exit and Fushitsusha.
Other artists that might be interesting are Glenn Branca, DNA, Borbetomagus, and the more rock-oriented projects of Peter Brotzmann...
And since Neurosis was mentioned... check out early Swans and Cows material, it is pure gold. If you want grind-tinged stuff, some Naked City, The Flying Luttenbachers and other projects including Weasel Walter would fit (that guy is a total nut on drums!)

thrashfan07 wrote:
I've been told that Portal are quite odd, but I'm guilty of not having listened to them myself yet :P


Nah, they are just death metal with some spazz rock instrumental prowess injected in the blend, but they would not come as genre-defying.
_________________
invoked wrote:
Remember kids, retardation exists across all races, nationalities, and universities!

Top
 Profile  
Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:54 pm
Posts: 3997
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 am 
 

Hmm... as of the now, the only band I can think of is Sigh, though not their early albums (up to Ghastly Funeral Theatre). If some albums are weird for the sake of being weird depends on how you view them, I think not. Except for Gallows Gallery, the vocals are from black metal though don't let this fool you, their first album is but the others nowhere near. Those that are most hard to define would be the aforementioned, Hail Horror Hail and Imaginary Sonicscape. Some say GG is power metal, some a "tribute to the old heavy metal bands" but to me it's not really classifiable, it's just... metal.

Top
 Profile  
schwuppe
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm
Posts: 227
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm 
 

I disagree with the Epic Melodic Death Metal label of Wintersun on here
They are a perfect example for a band that combines a lot more genres

Top
 Profile  
Recapitation
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 am
Posts: 159
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm 
 

Nochielo wrote:
Recapitation wrote:
Tombs has to be the most genre defying band I've ever heard. They take influence from shoegaze, post-rock, black metal, hardcore punk, and everything in between.

http://www.myspace.com/tombsbklyn

Tombs is great, I own Winterhours and it's a damn good album, very hard to tag as well, but very short. Feels very natural, they are not trying to be something they are not.


I agree 100%. It almost feels criminally short.
_________________
Carrion Wyrm, Dallas Death Metal: aliens, active substances, and ancient beasts.

Top
 Profile  
Solution7
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:11 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:46 am 
 

I give my vote to Neurosis
Through Silver In Blood is great and I, Personally anyway could never stamp a genre on it.

Top
 Profile  
Rottenrectum
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm 
 

Agalloch, Lykathea Aflame, The Monolith Deathcult, Bal-Sagoth (maybe), Blood Stain Child (techno metal isn't a genre...), Cephalic Carnage (defined but songs vary a lot).
Maybe even Cradle of Filth?

Top
 Profile  
Soulofsteel820
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:44 pm 
 

I guess Ved Buens Ende? Maudlin of the Well? Although MotW do a lot of genre mashing, the also do some stuff I wouldn't be able to describe.

Top
 Profile  
Soulofsteel820
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am
Posts: 132
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm 
 

Also, the band Pyramids

Top
 Profile  
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:39 pm
Posts: 1707
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm 
 

Traumatic Voyage
_________________
ZEALOTRY - THE CHARNEL EXPANSE now out on CD [Memento Mori Rec's]
my last.fm
my RYM

Top
 Profile  
zervyx
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:21 pm
Posts: 172
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:13 pm 
 

Agalloch comes to my mind too. Green Carnation too, not sure of what kind of style that is, somewhere between rock, gothicmetal, but depending on the song they have also been tagged as doom metal and Progressive by some people., then the use of acoustic guitar in some songs doesnt help that much.

Also, Ive noticed that many people disagree about the genre of Sentenced's album "Amok".

Oh, Perhaps you'll find this interesting, there's a website that has listed the next bands as "oddball bands that throw all sorts of different influences into their music" and therefore its hard to place them in only one genre. Im taking this from the website I really dont know how certain the information is, here's the list:

Carnival In Coal
Dog Fashion Disco
Empalot
Estradasphere
Forgotten Silence
Kekal
Korova
Korovakill
Love History
Manes
Maudlin of the well
MonumentuM
Stolen Babies
Ulver
Unexpect
Virus

Top
 Profile  
yfg
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 6:19 am
Posts: 43
Location: China
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm 
 

try YOB!

Top
 Profile  
ApocalypticxAngel
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 207
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 pm 
 

Crotchdusters are another example.
Rottenrectum wrote:
Agalloch, Lykathea Aflame, The Monolith Deathcult, Bal-Sagoth (maybe), Blood Stain Child (techno metal isn't a genre...), Cephalic Carnage (defined but songs vary a lot).
Maybe even Cradle of Filth?

Blood Stain Child is Melodic Death Metal with electronica/trance influences.
Cradle of Filth is Extreme Gothic Metal with Symphonic Black Metal influences...
_________________
Jaksa wrote:
If all power goes out, how will I play Solitare?

George Gobel wrote:
If it weren't for electricity, we'd all be watching tv by candlelight.

Top
 Profile  
DefacedLunacy
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:27 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:42 am 
 

First thing that comes to mind is Primus, you might know em because they made the tune to southpark.. Some will describe it as funk metal with country vocals so it may not be what your looking for because of the whole mish mosh thing. Anyway it sounds pretty unique and their bassplayer is a freaking God..
_________________
Coffee and Hypocrisy

Top
 Profile  
morbert
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:36 am
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:47 am 
 

DefacedLunacy wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is Primus, you might know em because they made the tune to southpark.. Some will describe it as funk metal with country vocals so it may not be what your looking for because of the whole mish mosh thing. Anyway it sounds pretty unique and their bassplayer is a freaking God..


+1
Primus = God
Les Claypool = Genius

Especially the Brown album and Frizzle Fry
Unequalled videos as well by the way.
_________________
Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum.

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

Top
 Profile  
Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 121
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:46 pm 
 

I'd say maybe Soundgarden, they have a sound that isn't easy to consider one genre.

Top
 Profile  
andersbang
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 691
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:54 pm 
 

Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

I guess you could call it heavy/prog/space/musical-metal. And it's excellent.


Last edited by andersbang on Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group