Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lastdodobird
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:49 am 

So just roll with me here for a moment and read on...

I'm not looking to listen for more metal music simply for the quality of the production. I'm looking for audiophile-grade metal albums because I'll be attending an audio meet soon to look for good headphones to upgrade to; and since I listen to a fair amount of metal, I wanted some metal albums to have as test tracks.

My choice subgenre of metal is Melodic Death Metal, but I'm open for pretty much any subgenre aside from Black Metal and Funeral Doom...

Hope this isn't much of a bother. Thanks!

Oh, you guys can also suggest specific tracks if you can. I'll have a lot of time to revisit all the suggestions here over the next week or two.

Last edited by lastdodobird on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 am 

Slumber - Fallout has the greatest hi-fiedlity production of any album I can think of offhand, and it's one hell of a damn good album too.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:55 am 

Just go with a classic like Master of Reality or Stained Class. Unless you want to hear the equiment with extreme metal.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:09 am 

I know it's trite, but Opeth - Still Life [particularly the 5.1 mix] is so densely layered that it should be a good proving ground for any speaker system or pair of headphones.

Negura Bunget - Om and Immolation - Close To A World Below are two other albums I'd recommend.

lastdodobird
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 am 

I'll check out Fallout since I haven't heard that yet.

I don't think I remember being particularly awed by the production of Master of Reality, Stained Class or Close To A World Below as much as they are good albums.

But yeah, most Opeth releases are pristinely produced indeed (is Still Life the best produced? I think I remember Ghost Reveries to have that distinction). Same goes with OM.

Oh, you guys can also suggest specific tracks if you can. I'll have a lot of time to revisit all the suggestions here over the next week or two.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 am 

I don't think I'll ever understand the difference between an audiophilephile (lol) production and a good production... In the latter field, I've never heard a better production than Metallica's self-titled.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 am 

The unique thing about CTAWB is that it's one of the few death metal albums with which you can really pick up some of the more subtle nuances of the music with quality speakers or headphones.

I really wish they'd release a 5.1 mix of it... Pipe dream, though.

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:59 am 

EntilZha wrote:
I don't think I'll ever understand the difference between an audiophilephile (lol) production and a good production... In the latter field, I've never heard a better production than Metallica's self-titled.

I'll take a stab:

A production that is crafted with the audiophile listener in mind will most likely have a very meticulous mixing engineer, as well as a mastering engineer. Completely perfect clarity, no frequency clashes, no un-wanted distortion at all. Zero phasing issues. Perfect audibility of the bass instruments, no reverb washouts, lots of incredibly subtle automation and effects.

Very elaborate and full of processing, in other words.

Now, a simply "good" production could sound just as good as a really advanced job, but the difference between the two is that when faced with very close scrutiny on very high end systems, someone with an engineer's ear (or anyone who has a lot of audio experience) could point out a few more flaws in the mix that is just "good". That is my best explanation, anyway.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:06 am 

Yeah, I guess I understand the general principle, I just don't think I could ever wrap my mind around the idea of hearing the main riff of "Raining Blood" thinking to myself "OH GOD NO, THERE'S A SLIGHT IMBALANCE AT 124.87 HERTZ! THIS SONG FUCKING SUCKS!!!"

But, I guess, that stuff is more suitable to a different thread.

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:12 am 

Yeah it's really not a huge focus for metal to be that high on the spectrum of audio fidelity. I think there are many exceptions though, for example those certain styles of metal that are renown for their exceptional productions. I think something like Pagan's Mind would sound terrible with an oldschool production, where as Raining Blood would be really dumb with something that you'd hear on a Dream Theater album. All about context, I suppose.

The reason that people buy those expensive hi-fi systems though is that they can hear every minute detail and nuance. While you can argue that there is a lot of nuance in the character and tones of something like early Slayer, there doesn't exist the same level of elaborate and meticulous effort that is put into transforming an album into a fully blown "big production". For instance, if I listened to this Inade album (I find dark ambient to be one of the most rich and hi-fidelity genres around, at least in my experience) I've got on the Genelec monitors in a studio control room, I would hear a ton more of the small details that are on the album than I would if I just listened to them on my computer speakers (which are by all means not that bad).

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:42 am 

I know there's a 5.1 version of Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? available, although I've no clue on how widely available it is.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:38 pm 

What exactly do you guys mean by 5.1 versions of albums? Do some artists release specific special editions just for 5.1, or is it simply an option you click on when ripping a cd to your computer (or an option on a stereo system or what have you)?

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
like a prehistoric cabbage with a whale boner

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:07 pm 

The new Mourning Beloveth album (A Disease For The Ages) has very good, heavy production.

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:04 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
What exactly do you guys mean by 5.1 versions of albums? Do some artists release specific special editions just for 5.1, or is it simply an option you click on when ripping a cd to your computer (or an option on a stereo system or what have you)?

Some artists do release 5.1 mixes of albums but it's incredibly rare. Ripping a stereo mix as 5.1 would do absolutely nothing ;)

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 pm 

Katatonia's The Great Cold Distance also has a 5.1 mix. It's fantastic with a good audio setup. I thought Deliberation and Rusted sounded incredible on it.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:42 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Some artists do release 5.1 mixes of albums but it's incredibly rare. Ripping a stereo mix as 5.1 would do absolutely nothing ;)

Yeah I kind of figured that. Never knew some artists did 5.1 releases though. The only example I know of is the 5.1 disc of the LOTR complete recordings editions---which as you know wasn't even a cd but rather a dvd.

So I imagine 7.1 is nonexistent then?:p

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
like a prehistoric cabbage with a whale boner

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:02 pm 

Since I don't have an audiophile's setup I can't say how true these claims are, but Devin Townsend's Synchestra had VERY good production, from what I recall. Pretty good album too.

Reply to topic