Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
baalzamon999
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 pm 

...and by that, I mean death metal similar to Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, by Morbid Angel. This is my favourite latter-day MA album, and combines so many unique and wonderful non-standard techniques, it makes me hope that there are other albums/bands that emulate that same abstract, elevated, mystical atmosphere.

The combination of disjointed and strange riffing incorporating blue notes, chromatics, and sometimes the odd major key melody, ethereal soloing, and varied drumming including both syncopated beats and and furious blasting are all what I'm looking for. Strange, celestial, wafting guitar and keyboard interludes (think "Hymn to a Gas Giant") are all welcome.

The only other band I've found that comes close thus far is Mithras, especially Beyond the Shadows Lie Madness.

As always, thanks in advance

Last edited by baalzamon999 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm 

Good question. Can't think of anything off the top of my head quite like that... Unless you count Immolation, which I'm sure you're familiar with.

baalzamon999
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:58 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Good question. Can't think of anything off the top of my head quite like that... Unless you count Immolation, which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Yes I am familiar with them, but they are strange and disjointed in a different sort of way. Thanks anyway.

So does no one know of any bands like this?

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 pm 

Clever title, but please try not to be intentionally misleading when posting here.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Reply to topic