Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:22 pm 

I know that this is the wrong website to post this in, but does anyone know of rap with tolkienesque or hyperborean themes similar to those explored in metal? I can think of rap with science fiction themes, a la Deltron 3030, but is there an equivalent to bands such as Blind Guardian or Manilla Road in the Hip-Hop department?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:59 pm 

I think the closest you'll get to metal lyrics in hip hop is early Three 6 Mafia, from Mystic Stylez and the mix tape days. Back when Scarecrow (R.I.P.) had a lot of influence on the band's image and lyrical content of the songs, exploring horror, anti-religious and occult themes:

"I'm on a cross, Lucifer please cut me free... No lord could stop us now 'cause the demons reborn again... Follow me into the trees, watch me rob Adam and watch me rape Eve, in this eve of destruction..."

"Could this be the end or a message sent from Satan... They opened the gates of horror for the overlords, we tortured the cases who arrested the faces of the triple-six devil sorcerers..."

"Sacred black magic from the ancient voodoo powers, secret seances performed in midnight hours, mystic styles from the ancient mutilations, torture chambers filled with corpses in my basement..."

Of course other horrorcore groups would later copy or expand on this style, but these guys were probably the first to do it in the early 1990s. And you're right, I would imagine it's not a good idea to post topics like this here so I would expect this to be locked soon.

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

@drowned,
Horrorcore is good, but lyrics about dragons or epic wars would be better. I like those lyrics you gave me though.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:31 am 

why would you want such a thing? i mean there are godawful nerdcore rappers but they're shit and have nothing to do with the rest of the rap scene. most dudes into rap would laugh at you for asking for rap that does this, just like how guys into black metal would laugh at someone asking for bands about being caring and good friends.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 pm 

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:00 pm 

teh_Foxx0rz wrote:

That's perfect. You win this thread hands down.

Reply to topic