Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:25 pm 

Is there any other bands like Tyr out there? I'm mainly referring to their blending of folky melody with more metal stuff, and more of the latter era than the earlier progressive. I don't mean anything flowery like Turisas or Equilibrium. Looking for excellent clean vocals (not in power metal style), hints of folkyness, hopefully non-English lyrics. I could almost say a band like Moonsorrow but with mainly clean vocals.

I've heard all the typical bands of similar genres and really no other folk metal band sound much like Tyr. I'd be interested in other bands that do the progressive thing, but the base of the theme needs to be viking/pagan/Nordic.

Much obliged to anyone who suggests anything. :)

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:19 pm 

safest answer: Heljareyga

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:42 am 

When I told my bro I was into Falconer he recommended Tyr to me, who I found nowhere near as good or interesting. So that either means Falconer will blow you away (if you haven't heard them already), or it will be totally not what you're looking for.

honzi97
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 pm 

What about Skálmöld? Vocals not clean enough?
Månegarm?
Heidevolk?
Arkona?
Falkenbach?

Acidgobblin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 am 

^Skalmold are cool, though I've only heard one album. They sound a bit more overtly folk than I am seeking but the vocals are a nice mix. I like harsh vocals but feel like folky stuff works better with clean. I know of the rest of your suggestions, only just started trying a bit of Arkona so if you have a favored album, let me know. I don't really know where to start.

Schizoid, I tried Falconer once before and just couldn't get into them. Didn't really dig the vocals. In truth, the vocals are one of my favorite aspects of Tyr.

Seems they are relatively unique so I'll just have to listen to more of the earlier work. Hope for a new album. Cheers...:)

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:30 pm 

I know all of this is based on personal taste, but the vocals in Falconer are absolutely fantastic! Did you listen to Erotetic's rec? That's Heri Joensen's other band.

Edit: Check out Heri Joensen's YouTube channel. He posts a lot of cool stuff on there.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:13 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:

Schizoid, I tried Falconer once before and just couldn't get into them. Didn't really dig the vocals. In truth, the vocals are one of my favorite aspects of Tyr.

I'm surprised you didn't like the vocals, unless of course you were listening to the two albums without Mathias Blad (2003, 2005).

Reply to topic