Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 pm 
 

I would like to go to both and I fucking love Xibalba but that's cause I like ignorant wigger moshcore stuff. I may play a show with Pizza Hi Five in the summer though... But Six Brew Bantha? When the fuck will I see them again?

I think this all boils down to what works best since getting off at my job is a giant pain. I'll probably see PHF and SBB though.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 pm 
 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
I'll probably see PHF and SBB though.

Good call! SBB riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiips live. Totally killer band.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 am 
 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
I would like to go to both and I fucking love Xibalba but that's cause I like ignorant wigger moshcore stuff. I may play a show with Pizza Hi Five in the summer though... But Six Brew Bantha? When the fuck will I see them again?

I think this all boils down to what works best since getting off at my job is a giant pain. I'll probably see PHF and SBB though.


I love the hell out of them (and, frankly, that whole beatdown/swedeath approach) but there's something just off about hearing Xibalba called a wigger band.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 am 
 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:
I would like to go to both and I fucking love Xibalba but that's cause I like ignorant wigger moshcore stuff. I may play a show with Pizza Hi Five in the summer though... But Six Brew Bantha? When the fuck will I see them again?

I think this all boils down to what works best since getting off at my job is a giant pain. I'll probably see PHF and SBB though.


I love the hell out of them (and, frankly, that whole beatdown/swedeath approach) but there's something just off about hearing Xibalba called a wigger band.



i see the connection, the E-Town Concretes, Sworn Enemy's, etc... but yeah xililbiananarama aren't a wigger band, just southern lord tripe.

i love me some beatdowns, but that band's just boring as shit...like the new hatred surge ep.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
GravityLapse
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:54 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm 
 

*new Hatred Surge album

Actually, the new's one kinda boring, but I like the first Xibalba album, it has this desperate sort of drown-your-children-in-the-bathtub-strangle-your-wife-shotgun-in-your-mouth quality that I really like much more than the Disembodied-lite bro parts (that I'm guessing is mostly what everyone else likes).

Anyway, anything good out lately? Already checked out Iron Lung, Nails, Cloud Rat, The Kill, PLF, ACxDC/MF/Sex Prisoner split. Itching for some more grind. I know new Full of Hell is coming down the pipeline, as well as Agents of Abhorrence(!).

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12159
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:12 pm 
 

well my two grind bands did a split album if you are interested in the more dissonant grind and some straight forward PV/grind.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:42 pm 
 

GravityLapse wrote:
*new Hatred Surge album



huh? im talking about the purgatory ep
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 am 
 

GravityLapse wrote:
Anyway, anything good out lately? Already checked out Iron Lung, Nails, Cloud Rat, The Kill, PLF, ACxDC/MF/Sex Prisoner split. Itching for some more grind. I know new Full of Hell is coming down the pipeline, as well as Agents of Abhorrence(!).


recent stuff I've been spinning a lot:

Sixbrewbantha/Agitate split
Sixbrewbantha/Water Torture split
Incident At Ape Canyon comp
God's America/Human Junk split
Rot - Modern Man Suicide
Rot/Putrefacao Humana split
Grinchfinger/Obliteracao split

and be on the lookout for:

Archagathus/Bestial Vomit split
Archagathus/Dead Issue split
Violent Gorge/Sete Star Sept split
Gowl - Buzz Box EP


I'm probably forgetting something crucial...
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 pm 
 

acxdc/magnum force/sex prisoner split is a bit disapointing. think i'm in the minority here... but never been a huge acxdc fan and while the stuff isn't bad the production is horrendous!

magnum force doesn't do much for me and Sex Prisoner sound good... but not as strong as their 7"... maybe I expect too much
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 pm 
 

You're not alone, I find all of those bands totally underwhelming, ESPECIALLY acxdc.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:06 pm 
 

Honestly I used to love ACxDC, but everything they've released after The Second Coming just doesn't do it for me. The thing about them that stood out to me before was that every song was catchy and memorable, but now all of their songs just blend together.

It's still good powerviolence, but it's not good ACxDC

Top
 Profile  
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:10 pm 
 

Really looking forward to Sea Of Shit's next release. Just saw them with Iron Lung and SFN and they killed it. Best I've seen em

http://vimeo.com/63965888#at=0

"Our next release is going to be a s/t 10", if any labels are interested in helping release this feel free to contact us. We have 5 songs written towards it so far, so this post is a bit overzealous (as per usual). Trying to generate some potential label interest here...the big plan is to have this out by spring in time for a week excursion with our friends Sick/Tired (who will have a new LP of their own out by then)."

From December 3rd. Hopefully it's getting close that time

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm 
 

metallicbrian666 wrote:
Honestly I used to love ACxDC, but everything they've released after The Second Coming just doesn't do it for me. The thing about them that stood out to me before was that every song was catchy and memorable, but now all of their songs just blend together.

It's still good powerviolence, but it's not good ACxDC



only reason i like them is they seem to be such good dudes. looks like the singer's daughter's gotten a lot of support which is great to see.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 pm 
 

Not a big fan of any of the bands on that split...I've got one of Magnum Force's 7"s that is pretty decent grind/powerviolence, nothing too special. ACxDC I've never really liked, though a few dudes I know went and saw them live and said they were excellent. Sex Prisoner's 7" was cool for a little while and then I just lost interest, enough to not be excited about anything new they may be doing. Actually, powerviolence in general just gets a big "meh" from me nowadays, at least outside of the classic stuff that I still spin regularly.

grind 4 lyfe
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:58 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
powerviolence in general just gets a big "meh" from me nowadays, at least outside of the classic stuff that I still spin regularly.

grind 4 lyfe
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 pm 
 

This could go in the death metal rec thread just as much as this one but we've been talking about Bone Sickness on the reg lately so fuck it.

New album streaming now... and it RULES!
http://www.terrorizer.com/2013/04/17/bo ... the-grave/
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:47 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
powerviolence in general just gets a big "meh" from me nowadays, at least outside of the classic stuff that I still spin regularly.

grind 4 lyfe


fag


kidding.

really dig water torture, Lyncanthrophy, Tinnitus, False Light, Iron Lung, Extortion etc... sure it's not heyday pv, but i think there's plenty to like.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:44 am 
 

I can dig Iron Lung, Water Torture, Lycanthrophy (more on the grind side of things though), and a few other bands like Tumor Feast or Mellow Harsher, but a good bit of newer bands just don't hit the spot. I'm not passing on ALL powerviolence. :p

again, grynd 4 lyphe
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
I can dig Iron Lung, Water Torture, Lycanthrophy (more on the grind side of things though), and a few other bands like Tumor Feast or Mellow Harsher, but a good bit of newer bands just don't hit the spot. I'm not passing on ALL powerviolence. :p

again, grynd 4 lyphe



Grindcore is having a nice resurgence. Who would've thought a genre based around 30sec songs would ever last? Although there seems to be a decline in good grind full lengths. bands are pretending 10 minutes can be a full length.last full length that really set some kind of standard was World Extermination (Wormrot's abuse is way overrated).
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
there seems to be a decline in good grind full lengths. bands are pretending 10 minutes can be a full length.last full length that really set some kind of standard was World Extermination (Wormrot's abuse is way overrated).


Cosigned times a million. Although, the shorter format releases are great if the band is good. Sometimes an actual full-length just isn't as good in the realm of grindcore (album feels too long, album full of pointless short bursts of noise, etc), but I would actually prefer more quality full-length albums.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:00 pm 
 

I think as long as a grind/PV album exceeds 15 minutes it's reasonable to call it a full length. But yeah Gridlink's full lengths are kinda pushing it (even if the music is good)

Most of my listening is done when I'm driving and I kinda like being able to get a full length in on my way to or from school (or work)

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm 
 

I don't care whether or not someone calls it a full-length, but what does grind my gears (wakka) are 12" records that have like a song or two on each side. COME ON MAN
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
metallicbrian666
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:18 pm 
 

Ah, I'm not a vinyl person but I can see that being a pain haha

Bandcamp 4 lyfe bro

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:46 pm 
 

I actually prefer full lengths so I don't have to get off my couch to go flip records as often... but I think a lot of grind bands have trouble coming up with that much material that all remains compelling.

It takes a special band to write a 30 minute record of songs that are a minute and a half tops in length and each one be interesting on it's own. World Extermination was definitely a game changer as far as modern grindcore goes... perfect production, great riffs, great vocals, great songwriting... but there's a few other records that have come out after it that are equally as good.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Numerator_41
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:06 am
Posts: 1148
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:56 pm 
 

Speaking of pv a little earlier, does anyone have some recs for old-school pv stuff that isn't obvious? A lot of new pv really doesn't "click" with me the same way something like Crossed Out or No Comment does.

Also Society of Friends is really cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5JlKOKQHE
_________________
SatanSmells wrote:
FUKK YOU WHO FUKKING KARES

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:17 am 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
I actually prefer full lengths so I don't have to get off my couch to go flip records as often... but I think a lot of grind bands have trouble coming up with that much material that all remains compelling.



yep. and also, gfivent he genre, i understand the difficulty. But where are the World Downfalls, Inedible Dreamless, Prowler in the Tard, that one about Radiation Sickness and Black Breath
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 am 
 

Haha good question... I kinda think a big part of it is our standards are really high now.

Plenty of grind records that are coming out now are "good"... but would have been legendary had they come out in the heyday... but being that the originators of the genre set the bar where they did it makes almost everything coming out these days seem pale in comparison... even if it might be equally as "good" as the originators.

It takes something really special now to make people take notice... and really, it takes something special enough to not only get the current grinders stoked but get kids that aren't even grinders yet stoked... it takes that same sort of spark as the originators but it has to be even better than they were because the bars already been set. Hence why your World Exterminations are so few and far between these days.

It's really the same with every genre...
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:16 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Haha good question... I kinda think a big part of it is our standards are really high now.



Yeah, of course. But there's nothing wrong with that. No need to be complaicent with what's coming out ( i know you're not saying that, but I think it should be said).


dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Plenty of grind records that are coming out now are "good"... but would have been legendary had they come out in the heyday... but being that the originators of the genre set the bar where they did it makes almost everything coming out these days seem pale in comparison... even if it might be equally as "good" as the originators.


Can't think of many. Bands like The Kill are good, and what they put out are fine, but if it was the 80's or early 90's i think they'd pale in comparison to the stalwarts of the time. Few bands are pushing the envelope, but even fewer are putting out full lengths that merit the title "full length." One of the few in this regard has to be Swarrrm, Dephosphorus, Cloudrat, and Gridlink... all of whom aren't run of the mill grind bands.

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
It takes something really special now to make people take notice... and really, it takes something special enough to not only get the current grinders stoked but get kids that aren't even grinders yet stoked... it takes that same sort of spark as the originators but it has to be even better than they were because the bars already been set. Hence why your World Exterminations are so few and far between these days.


Yep, i mean look at what I just mentioned...all of those bands will speak louder to non-grinders than grinders. It is an odd thing how Insect Warfare made such an amazing and influential album without doing anything too new.

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
It's really the same with every genre...


Disagree here. I don't think black metal's ever been this good. Don't get me wrong, ABITNS and DMDS are two of the best albums ever made, but black metal's at such a great moment as it's belnding so many styles, regions, background,etc than it ever did before. The US scene is budding with countless bands doing new and cool stuff, and redoing old tropes well.

Same goes for sludge, with bands like Thou, Hell, Moloch, Amenra, Planks, Salome. Doom's having a revival too based around traditional stuff. Much like doom, grind bands are getting in touch with their roots, but they're simply putting out splits and eps, staples of the genre unlike doom metal. Speaking of fads, thank goodness that thrash revival's died down...couldn't stomach all those shitty Exodus/Wermacht rip offs.

I think you're right though, and it's to be expected, that genres founded in punk, based in short songs, will never have the full length output that other genres will have. Hell, look at how many great punk eps there are from the 80's as opposed to metal, metal's always done well when spread out over time.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Disagree here.

I was more making the point that all genres' current music is held up against their progenitors in regards to quality, not that there aren't other genres where current bands have surpassed their masters, so to speak. The problem with your example of black metal is that they're incorporating new elements and while that is perfectly acceptable in the realm of black metal, grindcore has a much lower tolerance for outside influences before it is no longer considered "grind."
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:
Disagree here.

I was more making the point that all genres' current music is held up against their progenitors in regards to quality, not that there aren't other genres where current bands have surpassed their masters, so to speak. The problem with your example of black metal is that they're incorporating new elements and while that is perfectly acceptable in the realm of black metal, grindcore has a much lower tolerance for outside influences before it is no longer considered "grind."


Ah, got'cha. "When you got a condition, it's bad to forget your medicine."
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:10 pm
Posts: 12159
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:22 pm 
 

Dragunov wrote:
I don't care whether or not someone calls it a full-length, but what does grind my gears (wakka) are 12" records that have like a song or two on each side. COME ON MAN



I agree with this. What's the damn point in wasting that much wax just to have bigger artwork. howabout you write some more goddamn songs for that artwork you like so much? At least make it where one side is full of music and the other side can be the same thing or painted or etched.
_________________
A bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything.
http://www.cavepaints.com <--Horrid art and musics.
http://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs <--- huge heavy/loud boxes I build.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 pm 
 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
I don't care whether or not someone calls it a full-length, but what does grind my gears (wakka) are 12" records that have like a song or two on each side. COME ON MAN



I agree with this. What's the damn point in wasting that much wax just to have bigger artwork. howabout you write some more goddamn songs for that artwork you like so much? At least make it where one side is full of music and the other side can be the same thing or painted or etched.


Too bad Bender's also Wakka....god i hate wakka
Image
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 am 
 

For some reason I always imagined Fozzy Bear saying "wakka", and as much as I played FFX when it came out I never made the connection to Wakka when using that phrase. Consider me punk'd! :p

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
I was more making the point that all genres' current music is held up against their progenitors in regards to quality, not that there aren't other genres where current bands have surpassed their masters, so to speak. The problem with your example of black metal is that they're incorporating new elements and while that is perfectly acceptable in the realm of black metal, grindcore has a much lower tolerance for outside influences before it is no longer considered "grind."


MIND READER! Seriously, I wanted to say pretty much this but felt I couldn't word it correctly. But pretty much this^^^
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 pm 
 

you fags see hydra head repressed johou 2xlp?

preeety cool
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm 
 

would be a lot cooler if I liked Discordance Axis...

:oh shit:
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
would be a lot cooler if I liked Discordance Axis...

:oh shit:



Haha. I'm not as gaga as others, but I do love the band... which is probably seeded in Chang's nerdisms and the anxiety around the band. Nice to have a grind band who is serious without being political.

But boy do I hate Hydra Head.
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm 
 

Was gonna say, that DLP is probably waaaaaaaay overpriced...
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:54 pm 
 

I can enjoy them from time to time but it's definitely not something I find myself craving... I like Gridlink better though... not sure what that says about me.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
Dragunov
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:34 pm
Posts: 2357
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:32 pm 
 

I like Gridlink as a whole more than I do DxAx, though I listen to The Inalienable Dreamless the most out of anything Chang has been involved with.
_________________
HamburgerBoy wrote:
Chugging DURDURDUR is more metal than airy lelelelelelelelleele.

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2823
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 pm 
 

I'm with you guys too. I love both bands but I prefer Gridlink's stuff over Discordance Axis. I can't place a finger on a reason though...possibly the tone? marginally more aggressive?

Anyway, do you guys remember the Homeland episode in season 1 when they were torturing a captive with Gridlink's music? Everyone else was shocked as to how I knew that :/ But I'm pretty sure the few of us who identified it immediately, rejoiced.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 88  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group