Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm 

To put it in short, is there anything out there that bears some kind of resemblance to Projector? I'm not looking for any specificity genre-wise, but rather something that picks up on what Projector does best. The atmosphere, melody and catchiness. The ever present bass rumbling over the guitars, the pace of the songs and the great singing, be it harsh or clean. It seems to be a rather unique sounding album as I've never found anything quite similar, maybe only Slumber for a marginal example.

Is there anything like it?

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm 

I <3 Projector :love: it's my all time favorite album. Hopefully this thread will bode some good stuff.

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

XcKyle93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 am 

Hmm, this is a bit of a shot in the dark for me because I'm not too familiar with that album by Dark Tranquillity (relative to their other 90's releases that is), but perhaps you may fancy "The Spear of the Lily Is Aureoled" by Sculptured? "Apollo Ends", their 2000 album, may also work, but it's been a while since I've listened to it.

Ah yes, the death metal phenomenon that is the Super Bowl.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 am 

Uhm, I do remember listening to that album a few times some years ago and not being that much into it. I remember it sounding a bit too progressive, but I'll still make a refresh to see if it fits or not. :)

PS: Sculptured seem to take more of a Skydancer influence with the slightly folky overtones and thrashy beats, so not exactly where I was trying to get at. Still need to relisten to this properly though as it's sounding better than I remember it being.

deadweight2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:39 pm 

Ahh, yes, I love Projector too!

These might not be what you are looking for, but I assume you know the standard melodeath bands in the same vein as Dark Tranquillity? e.g., Omnium Gatherum, Mors Principium Est, Scar Symmetry, Solution .45, Trashcanned, Soilwork (start with The Living Infinite), Neptune?

Since you mentioned Slumber, do you know Rapture?

Do you know Raintime, e.g., Flies & Lies, and Machinae Supremacy? How about Decode the Design's Chaos Lanes EP?

I'm casting a wide net here, because I'm not entirely sure what might appeal to you....

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:34 am 

Crap, list of names. :D

Of the ones you mentioned I'm unfamiliar with Solution .45, Trashcanned, Neptune and the whole sentence below (the one with Raintime, etc.). Big fan of Rapture's debut, not so much on the rest of it though. Same for MPE, killer debut. Omnium Gatherum I've heard every album and it just bores me to death, and Soilwork I've known for about 10 years now. I'm actually quite familiar with most melodeath up till the turn of the century.

I'll check out the remaining names, any pointers with those bands?

Perdition666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

Are Veiled in Scarlet, My Material Season or Mysterious Priestess remotely close to what you're looking for?

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:07 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Are Veiled in Scarlet, My Material Season or Mysterious Priestess remotely close to what you're looking for?

Are you trying to pull me into the Japanese metal scene?! :lol:

Veiled In Scarlet was interesting, should probably listen to it a bit more. Riffing at first reminded me a bit of old Insomnium, but then the neoclassical influence changed the tone a bit. My Material Season sounds "too Japanese", if you catch my drift. Mysterious Priestess is no go. Not really into what they're doing there.

Ended up listening to this band called Serpent and a song from an album called xGODx, which some people praise to high heavens apparently, and it's interesting as well. Not properly within the context of the request but I'm too curious to dismiss it.

@deadweight2:

- Man, Solution .45 is the kind of absolute crap I loathe. Sorry, just no.
- After a cursory listen Trashcanned reminds me a bit of Arsis, not really what I'm after.
- I'm listening to Neptune and wondering if you have ever heard Projector... Same is true for Raintime.
- Decode the Design... What the fuck were you thinking???

Look, I don't want to sound like a dick, but what the hell were those recs for?

Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:37 pm 

Because it's all melo death yo. :-P

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:47 pm 

If that's what people call melodeath these days... :oh shit:

Anyway, picked up the pace and listened a bit more to the Japanese stuff. The thing is, while some of the riffing is indeed interesting it just ends up falling down the usual trap doors. The neoclassical influence is cool and all, but it gets to a point where it's too much for its own sake. It may be some interesting stuff for Whispered fans though.

PS: After relistening to Sculptured I remember why I don't like it. Too proggy and the clean vocals don't do it for me.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:21 pm 

Something about this Percht song reminds me of Projector.
https://soundcloud.com/percht/cerulean-dream

Reply to topic