Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:34 pm 

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying that I'm really not into what technical death metal is all about today. Poster boys like Necrophagist, Origin, Braindrill, etc do nothing for me. I can't listen to more than 30 seconds of this kind of music without thinking there's a million other things I should be doing. As cliche as it may be these days, I'd much rather listen to Gorguts (both old and new), Ulcerate or Mitochondrion.
But the other day I listened to Human back to back and I remembered how much I love this sound! Bands like Death, Atheist and Pestilence, at their best, were, IMO, a pinnacle of death metal. Then I noticed that even the bands I know and like that are inspired by this sound are not that new themselves and most are inactive as far as I know. Bands such as Martyr(can), Neuraxis, Scarve, Anata, Theory In Practice and so on.

Sooo... any bands like these you guys know? Looking mostly for newer bands, but as long as they're good it doesn't really matter. You get the picture, death metal whose players clearly know how to handle their instruments and amaze the listener BUT still with solid songwriting being key. DO NOT WANT plastic and soulless production, weak guitar tone (that first Obscura album is a joke, sorry), pointless and pretentious noodling, core of any kind, breakdowns and pig squeals.

Thanks in advance! :)

honzi97
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:41 pm 

What about Gojira?

Youtube: show

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:51 pm 

I am aware of them, yes. I quite like The Link and FMTS but for whatever reason the last two studio albums didn't really grab me... Maybe I should try it again.

honzi97
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:53 pm 

You really should. I think "From Mars to Sirius" "The Way of All Flesh" and "L'Enfant Sauvage" are three of the greatest death metal albums out there. They have a more progressive than technical approach, though

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:30 am 

I feel we have similar tastes in tech death - Have you heard of spawn of possession?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3isFzW6hikY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CyEUCVEQzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-xzhGleGXc

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:17 am 

You should give a chance to the really underrated Sadist album Seasons in silence, one of the most unique albums i own.. it's not at all a brutal album and features really really heavy use of italian horror and jazz fusion styled keyboards, but it builds a really icy, evil atmosphere and memorable songs without degenerating into pointless wanking (despite the very technical performance of each member of the band) and contrasts it with warm jazzy chords, solos and basslines.

it's absolutely an acquired taste and requires far more than one listen, but if you get it you will not forget it anytime soon! :)
...just beware that the first metal song starts badly like a second tier meshuggah ripoff, then it gets way better! XD

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 am 

Check out Baring Teeth, I'm not crazy familiar with the band but I remember getting a Gorguts vibe from them. Link for their fist full length Atrophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-svkfRirU

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:03 am 

I really like the first Soreption album from '10 (haven't gotten around to their second yet). Something about the really clean execution appeals to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBBaM7iP_Q

How about Bloodshot Dawn? They have a bit of thrash in there, like Death had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBZrNhQx_u0

I suppose you already know Beyond Creation?

Here's an interesting new, independent band, Empirine.
Maybe not at all what you're looking for, more like technical melodic progressive metal/death metal, but give them a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66WU18vTIXM
You can get their music for free at their bandcamp.
http://empirine.bandcamp.com/

Rippingheadache
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:38 am 

I suppose I'm the only guy in the world that happens to enjoy BOTH camps of tech-death, *shrugs*. I mean, is the Brain Drill/Necrophagist style of tech death that pervasive these days?

Anywho, as for your request you might want to give Gigan and Artificial Brain a try. Both breathe new life to the familiar sound Gorguts patented on their 'Obscura' album.

Some of Willowtip's roster are an excellent source of non-wanky, well-written tech-death as well (Sarpanitum, Mephistopheles, Illogicist, etc).

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 pm 

Thanks folks for all the replies!

I'll start by saying straight away that Artificial Brain and Sarpanitum blow all the other mentioned bands out of the water! This is death metal that manages to sound new, and kinda unique even if not necessarily original, but that's not really the point of this thread. I like the production on both records, I love the performances and I dig the different atmospheres both albums create.

Now onto the other stuff...

I remember listening to (and enjoying) Cabinet, and while I still think these cats are some of the most gifted musicians out there, the random songs I heard from the other records didn't do much for me. Impressive, yes, but not much replay value. A bit too much wankery for me already, I think.

The same can be said about Beyond Creation. Wizards at what they do for sure, but takes me nowhere. Plus I think they sound flat and weak. Need more power, more punch please.

Soreption is just not for me... at all. Sorry.

Bloodshot Dawn is kinda interesting. It didn't floor me by any means, but I'll remember the name.

Baring Teeth seems really cool, more on the now popular dissonance trend yet I can't help but thinking the pioneers of the genre have been doing it for longer and better. Still, they have a lot of potential that's for sure.

Gigan is reaaaaly out there. Reminds me a lot of Dillinger Escape Plan... Can't decide if that's good or bad! Ahah! Very specific band for a specific mood I guess.

Empirine and Sadist also didn't do much for me... Just not what I'm looking for. At least for now.

Also, to help you guys with more recs, I thought I would just drop two of my fave DM albums and since they are quite popular maybe you know some bands in this vein: None So Vile and Winds Of Creation. These two monsters, as different as they are, also represent for me a great balance between technicality, savage brutality and still plenty of memorability.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:14 pm 

Many of the best picks are already here, so I'll see if I can get something you like:

That's Mithras out of the way, didn't see them get mentioned.

Probably the most accurate pick I have, Khariot is definitely unique, kind of hard to describe, let's just say it's familiar and unexpected at the same time.

Burning Inside. Similar to mid-era Death, there's wank here but it's limited to the drumming, so I think this fits.

Phantasmagory. Lots of floaty, atmospheric keyboards, it's often times relaxing, but still proggy technical death metal. Fun.

Pyrrhon. Definitely draws a lot from Gorguts. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: Dear me, I almost forgot this:

Serdce. I've only heard this one from them, but I don't see how any person that likes proggy tech death wouldn't like this, it's really that good.

Hope you found something interesting!
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Ganondorf901
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:48 pm 

I second Pyrrhon, its thoroughly Gorguts-inspired tech death, Eternity in a Breath is the song to check out.

I also second Sadist, and I know you said you didn't like them but if you listened to Season of Silence I personally think that's not the right album for them, they change they've changed their sound many times. If you like Athiest (particularly Unquestionable Presence) I would actually suggest trying out their earlier album Tribe. It's pretty much the only other tech death album I've heard with that jazzy, early 90s flair.

You're probably familiar with Cynic but you didn't mention them so just to be safe give Focus a few hundred listens.

Check out Krallice, they are more technical black metal than death but they reek of Gorguts.

Blotted Science are a personal fav tech death act of mine, they are instrumental but may fall into the latter category of tech death. Lots of jazz influence.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 am 

honzi97 wrote:
You really should. I think "From Mars to Sirius" "The Way of All Flesh" and "L'Enfant Sauvage" are three of the greatest death metal albums out there. They have a more progressive than technical approach, though

I love FMTS, but do you really think it's death metal?

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:38 pm 

I thought of another band you may enjoy. Despise from Poland, though not entirely tech death I think you might still enjoy them.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:25 am 

A few more bands that you may enjoy:

Hieronymus Bosch (Russia)

Neglected Fields (Latvia)

De Profundis (UK)

TheGurgling
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:45 pm 

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ad Nauseam. They are very Gorguts inspired and are brand new to the scene. Their album is definitely worth a listen for tech-death fans that want a deeper meaning to their music.

Reply to topic