Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:21 am 

Ok, I know a fair bit about Metal... A lot, actually, but I have to ask maybe a silly question to you guys that I've been waiting to get off my chest for a long time. How in the fuck is Between The Buried And Me metalcore in the slightest? The technical musicianship is high, it's not filled with breakdowns, it's not generic or boring, they barely use riffs, they use odd time signatures very often, there is tons of variety, ect, ect. They fit next to no qualities of metalcore at all. We all know that metalcore by definition means "heavy metal crossed with hardcore punk". How the shit is Between The Buried And Me "crossed with Hardcore punk"? It makes no sense. If I had to classify Between The Buried And Me as something, it would have to be Extreme Progressive Metal. I don't see how they are Metalcore at all. Please help me.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:24 am 

Very rarely is metalcore crossed with hardcore punk, it is just a bullshit name that makes no sense. To me metalcore is stuff like Cro-Mags.

Axel_Sikth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:30 am 

Between The Buried And Me, Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Protest The Hero are all kickass "metalcore" bands.

Starkweather's a band I've heard of before but never checked out. Think I'll check them out. Nice blog as well.

Lately I've been listening to more Lamb of God, particularly stuff off Sacrament. Unlike some metalcore bands, they use their breakdowns and quite tastefully and sparingly. The overall music ain't bad either. Chris Adler does some nice drum work and the guitarists can bust out some sick riffs. To me, Randy's vocals is probably one of my biggest reasons for listening to LoG, though that may be only because I'm working on my screaming technique myself.

Converge's Jane Doe was probably their most "metal" and well-known release, though their later albums deserve some recognition as well. Maybe a little too on the hardcore side for this forum though. Oh well.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:31 am 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
Ok, I know a fair bit about Metal... A lot, actually, but I have to ask maybe a silly question to you guys that I've been waiting to get off my chest for a long time. How in the fuck is Between The Buried And Me metalcore in the slightest? The technical musicianship is high, it's not filled with breakdowns, it's not generic or boring, they barely use riffs, they use odd time signatures very often, there is tons of variety, ect, ect. They fit next to no qualities of metalcore at all. We all know that metalcore by definition means "heavy metal crossed with hardcore punk". How the shit is Between The Buried And Me "crossed with Hardcore punk"? It makes no sense. If I had to classify Between The Buried And Me as something, it would have to be Extreme Progressive Metal. I don't see how they are Metalcore at all. Please help me.

To me it seems that its mostly about the riffing style, which is predominantly metalcore. And as the person above me pointed out, metalcore certainly has nothing to do with hardcore punk, these days at least.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:37 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

To me it seems that its mostly about the riffing style, which is predominantly metalcore. And as the person above me pointed out, metalcore certainly has nothing to do with hardcore punk, these days at least.

Yeah, you have a point, but is that really enough to define them to a genre? Just that one thing? I mean, dynamically that's the only thing that I can see that would make them Metalcore. Is it enough, though? I don't think so, personally.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

Erik_the_reaper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:38 am 

well the dude asked about a help thread so since i listen to some metalcore/deathcore i guess i can help...well deathcore wise there is
Despised Icon
I Killed The Prom Queen
Eternal Lord
The Acacia Strain
I Declare War
The Red Shore
Winds of Plague
Through The Eyes of The Dead(1st full lenth only)
Whitechapel
now in terms of metalcore
Beneath the sky
All That Remains
Red I Flight
From the shallows
and thats all i can think of but still dude y do u want metalcore/deathcore honestly that was the 1st type of heavy stuff i listened to now i realize most of its crap very little is actually good lol

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:40 am 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
Yeah, you have a point, but is that really enough to define them to a genre? Just that one thing? I mean, dynamically that's the only thing that I can see that would make them Metalcore. Is it enough, though? I don't think so, personally.

Well to be fair, they are listed as PROGRESSIVE metalcore. I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this stuff anyway, but the riffing is pretty dominantly metalcore, as are the vocals, the drumming, most of it...

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

Well to be fair, they are listed as PROGRESSIVE metalcore. I'm probably the wrong person to ask about this stuff anyway, but the riffing is pretty dominantly metalcore, as are the vocals, the drumming, most of it...

Yeah, they are listed as Progressive Metalcore... I can't see how it's Metalcore riffing though... I just don't see the -core in it. It's technical, it's not shitty and/or genric, it's good, solid and melodic. Now, I agree with you on the vocals, they are like the vocals that you hear in Metalcore nowadays, and I always thought the drums were fast-paced, kick-your-ass, and solid, you know, not -core at all.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:57 am 

ZackP wrote:
Very rarely is metalcore crossed with hardcore punk, it is just a bullshit name that makes no sense. To me metalcore is stuff like Cro-Mags.

Early albums of most metalcore acts have punk influences you can hear but it seems that the more populer they become the less punk you hear.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:05 am 

The "hardcore" infused in metalcore pertains to nu-hardcore (aka shit like Hatebreed, Throwdown, Since the Flood, etc.) so obviously not as much punk influence as you would think.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:01 am 

ObscureInfinity wrote:
Tantalus wrote:
Starkweather are brilliant, and great guys too. However, having to compare them to this nu-deathcore rubbish that passes for metal/hardcore crossover these days is fucking depressing. These bands should be raking it in, not these twats with massive fringes and sentences for names.

Yeah, Starkweather are one of my favorite bands. They barely sound like what's considered metalcore today but they had an indirect influence on the genre. Ironically, on their MySpace, they wrote a blog entitled 'Don't Blame Us For Metalcore'.

Check it out:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =404140118

Wow, checking out their songs on MySpace right now, and they are amazing. I can't believe they are simply listed as "Metalcore" in MA though, as they sound nothing like it. Sure there are Hardcore influences, but it's much more Sludge Metal in style than Metalcore.

I'm looking for a torrent now. If they are half as good as those tracks on MySpace, I'll be looking for albums soon as well :D

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Prelude to the Grave
via FoxyTunes

SpeedF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:24 am 

What are some bands similar to Still Remains? melodeath/ metalcore, with big keyboard influence

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 am 

SpeedF wrote:
What are some bands similar to Still Remains? melodeath/ metalcore, with big keyboard influence

Try Mendeed. Not a lot of keyboards, but it's catchy. Otherwise Sonic Syndicate if you don't already know them.

ObscureInfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
ObscureInfinity wrote:
Tantalus wrote:
Starkweather are brilliant, and great guys too. However, having to compare them to this nu-deathcore rubbish that passes for metal/hardcore crossover these days is fucking depressing. These bands should be raking it in, not these twats with massive fringes and sentences for names.

Yeah, Starkweather are one of my favorite bands. They barely sound like what's considered metalcore today but they had an indirect influence on the genre. Ironically, on their MySpace, they wrote a blog entitled 'Don't Blame Us For Metalcore'.

Check it out:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =404140118

Wow, checking out their songs on MySpace right now, and they are amazing. I can't believe they are simply listed as "Metalcore" in MA though, as they sound nothing like it. Sure there are Hardcore influences, but it's much more Sludge Metal in style than Metalcore.

I'm looking for a torrent now. If they are half as good as those tracks on MySpace, I'll be looking for albums soon as well :D

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Prelude to the Grave
via FoxyTunes

They have some "chug-chug" sections in some of their songs but that's about it when it comes to similarities between modern-day metalcore. Like I said, they have more of an indirect influence.

They honestly are a one-of-a-kind band. Their songs have like an almost cinematic flow since there's just about no repeated sections in any of their songs. I also really like the vocals (have you ever heard anyone that sounds like him, singing or screaming?) but I can see how they might turn some people off. Truly underrated band.

Shikari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39 am 

For a good hybrid of old-school hardcore punk and heavy metal, you should try INTEGRITY's earlier releases: Seasons in the size of days, Those who fear tomorrow and Systems Overload. All available for download at their myspace page - www.myspace.com/integrity

Quite possibly one of the weirdest bands ever, started out in the hardcore scene, dealing with occult themes and with close ties to Boyd Rice and other neo-folk artists, sounding like a unholy mixture of Discharge-esque punk with some speed metal soloing. Shouted crust with slow, metallic, evil sounding parts.

OnlyToolsandCorpses
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:48 am 

Erik_the_reaper wrote:
Through The Eyes of The Dead(1st full lenth only)

yeah, Malice was garbage

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:24 am 

Dolf9271986 wrote:
DrommerOmDod wrote:
Dolf9271986 wrote:

Yeah, they are listed as Progressive Metalcore... I can't see how it's Metalcore riffing though... I just don't see the -core in it. It's technical, it's not shitty and/or genric, it's good, solid and melodic. Now, I agree with you on the vocals, they are like the vocals that you hear in Metalcore nowadays, and I always thought the drums were fast-paced, kick-your-ass, and solid, you know, not -core at all.

Listen to their first two albums. They were basically just a metalcore band on steriods at that point. Alaska changed quite a lot in their sound.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:54 am 

If you want real metal infused hardcore punk, listen to Earth Crisis.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:34 pm 

You guys should check out Elysia. Pretty much the only deathcore band I like.

myspace.com/elysia

MattFrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 pm 

The best advice I could offer to help?

Just stop already. There are a few good bands in the genre and a lot of emo crap.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm 

SpeedF wrote:

Try Underoath's first couple of releases - in particular Cries of the Past - it's sweeping, Progressive Blackened/Symphonic Deathcore with some really interesting stuff going on. Yes, lyrics are still Christian-oriented, but this old vocalist does some truly impressive black metal-esque screams and such and you'd never know the difference. There are also quite a few Groove Metal parts with some walloping chug riffs which sound really good. It's a pity how downhill they went from there...

Also, sans the keyboards, but you might like The Agony Scene's The Darkest Red, which has a huge Melodeath influence. I enjoyed it alongside Still Remains a year or so back. Also check out All That Remains, as you might like their style too - again, sans the keyboards.

cheers,
--N

eternallygutted
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm 

ReigningChaos wrote:
You guys should check out Elysia. Pretty much the only deathcore band I like.

myspace.com/elysia

new elysia isn't deathcore at all

as far as the genre goes, these are essential:

through the eyes of the dead - bloodlust (2005)
elysia - masochist (2006)
whitechapel - the somatic defilement (2007)
thy art is murder - infinite death (2008)FUCKING EPIC

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:20 pm 

What is it then? Might explain why I like it.

eternallygutted
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 pm 

ReigningChaos wrote:
What is it then? Might explain why I like it.

dunno, but it bores the fuck out of me

masochist has so much more energy and power to it

RaveNStorM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:12 pm 

Well, so far, the only Deathcore I enjoy is Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement and Job For A Cowboy - Doom.

Are there any other bands as good or better than these?

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:18 pm 

RaveNStorM wrote:
Well, so far, the only Deathcore I enjoy is Whitechapel - The Somatic Defilement and Job For A Cowboy - Doom.

Don't know if you will like it, but I think All Shall Perish is the best in the genre.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:15 pm 

RaveNStorM wrote:

If you like Whitechapel then you'le like Carnifex.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hacksaw to the Throat.
I think I post this band in every deathcore thread that pops up.
They're proggy.. but not in the BTBAM kinda way. Good stuff.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 pm 

I am coming out of the closet by saying that I like metalcore. It is somewhat because of so many local bands playing the genre.

However, to break away from cookie cutter deathcore and metalcore, I recommend the following albums:

The first two albums by All That Remains is the closest sound to Killswitch Engage I have heard. The first two by Killswitch Engage are classic.

All of Shadows Fall, all of God Forbid, all of Heaven Shall Burn, early albums by Caliban. Deaf to Our Prayers is probably the best metalcore album ever released.

Overcast. This band invented the genre and played a form of metalcore not commonly heard these days. It's Metalcore with the sickness of Reign in Blood/Hell Awaits era Slayer.

Full Blown Chaos is a thrash metalcore band that plays unforgiving music, their latest album is absolutely incredible.

Terror is another thrash/metalcore/NYHC band (although they lean more towards a hardcore/crossover sound) that is excellent.

Speaking of NYHC, if you want to know what influenced early metalcore, it was mainly New York Hard Core - Sick of it All even had a music video about hard core dancing. This is where breakdowns originated.

And again, I recommend early Hatebreed, for those who enjoy NYHC.

---------

As for Deathcore, I am going to recommend a ton of bands that do not play deathcore (as it is known today), but would definitely sound awesome to you guys who like deathcore...

Devourment, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Fermento, Bowels Out (just to name a few)

As for modern deathcore: Despised Icon and Annotations of an Autopsy are two of the best. If you happen to like the cookie-cutter deathcore sound, AoaA takes that sound to a somewhat new level (especially with Welcome to Sludge City). I see them as the rivals of Waking the Cadaver, whose entire discography sucks balls.

And finally, I gotta mention Between the Buried and Me. This is the fucking Dream Theater of Metalcore - if you are into progressive stuff, you will probably like Colors and Alaska. If not, at least check them out. They might not have made the best albums in all of Metalcore (Alive or Just Breathing and Deaf to Our Prayers far surpass Colors in terms of memorability and song-writing), but Colors is likely the most intricate and complex metalcore album ever made.

And finally finally, I need to put a special word in for Crowbar. They are not metalcore by any current standard, but they play doom metal + hardcore, known as sludge metal, but it is melodic... and yet it is not that Neurosis atmospheric post-metal stuff, and yet it is heavy, but beautiful. Where most metalcore is fast with slow breakdowns, this is slow with fast parts. It's reverse metalcore. If they are to be grouped with metalcore (an assertion many of you would probably disagree with), Sonic Excess in its Purest Form would make even excellent metalcore releases like Alive or Just Breathing, Deaf to our Prayers and Colors look like St.Anger in comparison.

And if you like sludge, of course you should also check out Eye Hate God, but they are not melodic at all, just pure abrasive sludge.

Although that latter part probably belongs in the sludge or doom metal help thread, the genre is the closest to metalcore of any metal genre in terms of sound - with crossover thrash and grindcore being the only relatives. As metalcore is hardcore + metal, this would make sense. Unsurprisingly, there is such thing as "sludgecore"...

Now for a question, aside from Protest the Hero, is there such thing as "Power Metal-Core" or "Speed Metal-core"? I have heard a band that combines Children of Bodom elements with a Bullet for My Valentine sound and style. They suck at it, but at the same time they play something I haven't heard of yet. Is there any true power metal combined with metalcore or hardcore?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:47 pm 

Quote:
Now for a question, aside from Protest the Hero, is there such thing as "Power Metal-Core" or "Speed Metal-core"? I have heard a band that combines Children of Bodom elements with a Bullet for My Valentine sound and style. They suck at it, but at the same time they play something I haven't heard of yet. Is there any true power metal combined with metalcore or hardcore?

Assuming that the last two CoB abortions aren't what you're talking about.. not to my knowledge, and I'd be very surprised if there were any number of bands doing such and even more surprised if any of them made it work well. Deathcore and metalcore (by which i mean the modern melodeath-inspired sound) get by because the mixed genres are close enough in tone to match to an extent. PM wouldn't, except possibly through some really watered down USPM and speed metal is right out.

Some people would namedrop A7X as a mix of the two, but I strongly disagree.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:12 am 

I suppose he could try the most recent Human Fortress.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Is there any true power metal combined with metalcore or hardcore?

I can't think of any bands that fit your criteria, but 3 Inches of Blood comes close, as they are a power/heavy metal band featuring metalcore styled screaming vocals (as well as clean vocals).
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

Last edited by LindisfarneAnno793 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am 

RevBau wrote:
ZackP wrote:

Early albums of most metalcore acts have punk influences you can hear but it seems that the more populer they become the less punk you hear.

Which is why I mentioned Cro-Mags :)

w0Lf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:33 am 

MaliciousAwesome wrote:
Hacksaw to the Throat.
I think I post this band in every deathcore thread that pops up.
They're proggy.. but not in the BTBAM kinda way. Good stuff.
YES!! They're about as core as BTBAM, which is to say, no breakdowns, but -core vocals and some gothenburg derived riffs. But yeah, they're awsome. Check out "Wastelands" people!

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:28 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
SpeedF wrote:

Try Underoath's first couple of releases - in particular Cries of the Past - it's sweeping, Progressive Blackened/Symphonic Deathcore with some really interesting stuff going on. Yes, lyrics are still Christian-oriented, but this old vocalist does some truly impressive black metal-esque screams and such and you'd never know the difference. There are also quite a few Groove Metal parts with some walloping chug riffs which sound really good. It's a pity how downhill they went from there...

Also, sans the keyboards, but you might like The Agony Scene's The Darkest Red, which has a huge Melodeath influence. I enjoyed it alongside Still Remains a year or so back. Also check out All That Remains, as you might like their style too - again, sans the keyboards.

cheers,
--N

The Darkest Red is good, but I think their self titled is closer to what he's looking for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 am 

Foxx wrote:
I suppose he could try the most recent Human Fortress.

I don't think that album is actually core-ish enough to count, it's just really fucking annoying.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm 

Power-metalcore would probably be kinda blah anyway.

On an unrelated note, probably the best breakdown-like riff that I have ever heard is the beginning of Enter the Depths of Eternal Darkness by Therion.

Since this is the metalcore help thread, and breakdowns are kinda central to metalcore... what are the best breakdown-like parts that aren't by metalcore bands?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Hollywars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:09 pm 

wolvie90 wrote:
Come on seriously. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Too me this genre is like a big ocean of diaherra with occasional chunks of metal floating by. All Shall Perish, Veil Of Maya and Whitechapel are the only metal/deathcore bands I like, the rest is repetitive and boring turds.

There is a problem when a band (whitechapel) needs 3 guitarists to be interesting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:10 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Since this is the metalcore help thread, and breakdowns are kinda central to metalcore... what are the best breakdown-like parts that aren't by metalcore bands?

Tarot - Convulsions, easily.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

Tarot - Convulsions, easily.

Wormed - Geodesic Dome at 1:45 gets my vote.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next