Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:37 am 

Ever heard Acacia Strain? They might be vaguely along the lines of what you're looking for.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:36 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Ever heard Acacia Strain? They might be vaguely along the lines of what you're looking for.

Hey this band is cool, thanks man.

Any more, anyone?

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 am 

"Wiggercore" is my fucking specialty. The Acacia Strain is the cream of the crop, but if you're into that shit check out Dividing the Masses (more positive lyrics and Christian influence, but better than the good majority of bands in this style), Demolisher, Genocide District, Dweller, and even Xibalba. If you're looking for a bit more technicality check out The Red Chord, Despised Icon, Animosity, Ion Dissonance, Fit for an Autopsy, Molotov Solution, and Thy Art is Murder.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 pm 

Sorry for this, but you mentioned Thy Art so I had to... :-D

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:48 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
"Wiggercore" is my fucking specialty. The Acacia Strain is the cream of the crop, but if you're into that shit check out Dividing the Masses (more positive lyrics and Christian influence, but better than the good majority of bands in this style), Demolisher, Genocide District, Dweller, and even Xibalba. If you're looking for a bit more technicality check out The Red Chord, Despised Icon, Animosity, Ion Dissonance, Fit for an Autopsy, Molotov Solution, and Thy Art is Murder.

Hmmm I hate to ask this, but what the heck is wiggercore? None of those bands make me think of wiggers, wiggercore sounds like it would be crappy stuff like attila and emmure.

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 am 

That cat's soul is definitely a tortured one.

But I don't really use the term wiggercore for many reasons. It is an ignorant title for a genre and wigger is an ignorant word to be using in the first place, hence why I put it in quotation. So given that I just used it interchangeably to mean very heavy deathcore with an emphasis on breakdowns or in some cases using breakdown as riffs.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:05 am 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
That cat's soul is definitely a tortured one.

But I don't really use the term wiggercore for many reasons. It is an ignorant title for a genre and wigger is an ignorant word to be using in the first place, hence why I put it in quotation. So given that I just used it interchangeably to mean very heavy deathcore with an emphasis on breakdowns or in some cases using breakdown as riffs.

Wasn't "wiggercore" more of an umbrella term for "br00tal meddle" people listen to? That does include a shitload of nu-metal and deathcore/metalcore bands.

OT: Any bands similar to Thy Art Is Murder's The Adversary?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 pm 

I'm not sure if it could be called "Wiggercore" but Shadow of the Colossus has a decent amount of heavy chugg riffing in their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvWjKvd3Uw

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:38 am 

I really dig Upon A Burning Body, I really like the mixture of groove and southern metal, i would like to find bands similar to them, does anybody have any good recomendations?

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 pm 

Deathcore is weird in that when you want to find X band that sounds like Y, it is close to impossible but all too possible. On one hand the deathcore bands that are impressive take the generic deathcore formula and do something special with it, while on the other most deathcore bands don't go further than that formula. So when I say check out Signal the Firing Squad's latest album for something similar to TAIM's The Adversary, take it with a grain of salt. They're Australian as well. Anything by Carnifex may be a better recommendation but they kind of suck.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm 

Well, it takes patience and low expectations to find "good" deathcore outside of the standard recommendations. I'm listening to I Declare War's "Amidst The Bloodshed", which is basically the most mind-numbing ultra-brutal breakdowncore I have ever heard. It's incredibly dumb and doesn't make alot of sense but when you can accept that or have the patience for it it's very cool to listen to.

But really, "Nailed.Dead.Risen" is like Viraemia compared to this :)

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm 

Man you think Amidst the Bloodshed is incredibly dumb and mind numbing? You should listen to their latest album We Are Violent People by Nature. That album is knuckledragger music at its finest. It is also my favorite full length deathcore album of the year so far.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm 

Anyone knows some deathcore bands similar to Carnifex's debut? I mean that ridiculously heavy brutal deathcore sound with slam elements. (Not pure slam but some breakdowns sound like slams)

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 am 

try All Shall Perish - Hate.Malice.Revenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55UNcs-B2Y8

also try the belgian band Moker; they deliver a great mix of deathcore and death metal with very effective breakdowns (don't listen to this while driving! ;p ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afAoDUBT0qE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzEtxuwaj7Q

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:54 pm 

No and No. If you wanna hear what I mean, listen to "Slit Wrist Savior" by Carnifex around 2:55 right before the breakdown, that's the kind of shit I want. Together with the deathcore, ofcourse.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:16 am 

My first request in this thread :

I heard the new Architects album and to my surpirse, I enjoyed it a lot.
As normally this is quite outta my comfort zone / listening habits, I dont know where to really go from here.

All I know is that rthe Architects album would have sounded waaay more awesome for me if they had ditched the breakdown bits and generic melo-death / djenty bits.

So essentially that's my request : slick well produced melodic metalcore with impassioned vocals that avoids breakdowns and crappy melo-death/ djent bits completely. The vocals have to be impassioned and a bit of subtle atmosphere via key/pads would be cool.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

Maybe, -just maybe- you'll enjoy Being as An Ocean. They do have impassioned vocals a subtle atmospheres, but not really via keys/pads though. Anyway, I believe that you should give them a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CkqhWIrMYM

In Hearts Wake (Maybe a bit too christians haha, hope you're fine with that) Again, very impassioned vocals with atmospheric music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUy9ytCkEjk

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:38 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Maybe, -just maybe- you'll enjoy Being as An Ocean. They do have impassioned vocals a subtle atmospheres, but not really via keys/pads though. Anyway, I believe that you should give them a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CkqhWIrMYM

In Hearts Wake (Maybe a bit too christians haha, hope you're fine with that) Again, very impassioned vocals with atmospheric music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUy9ytCkEjk

Thank you for the recs. I will check them out at the earliest. Heres fingers crossed for no breakdowns or djent bits :)

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:06 am 

Has anyone picked up on what Candiria was doing in the mid-90's?

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:38 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Has anyone picked up on what Candiria was doing in the mid-90's?

Yeah they did weird stuff!! Their "Deep in the Mental" 7" is one of my all time favorite 7inches, real schitzo

And haha damn, what people call metalcore today is not what it used to be. (back in the 90's)
I'm not really that into metalcore, but these are my favorites (the ones i still listen to from time to time, when i wanna get my SxE groove on xD)

Overcast (The old stuff, not that god awful Reborn crap. Members from this band ended up in Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage)
Ascension (Christian band (i think) Their "The Years of Fire" 10" is real nice)
Omegaman (Florida band, i know nothing about them except they released a Self Titled CD in the 90's)
Cro-Mags (Old-school!!)
Integrity (More old-school)
Fall Silent (Heavy as fuck, highly recommended, especially their "Six Years in the Desert" Compilation CD (collection of older stuff))
Wisigoth (Canadian band, dont know much about these guys)
Unruh (fast and heavy, their "Setting Fire to Shinking Ships" album is a real beast)

And all those brutal tough-guy Sxe bands like Earth Crisis, Reprisal, Children of Gaia etc.

And finally Stabyouintheheadandeatyourfaceoff (now called Stab you in the Head)
That's the only non 90's band in this list, but god damn they are awesome.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

Thats a fantastic band and that Dear G_d album was exactly what I was searching for. Any more recs like this ?

The Hearts Awake song sound nice but that album is pretty hard to find.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:43 pm 

suleiman wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v

Thats a fantastic band and that Dear G_d album was exactly what I was searching for. Any more recs like this ?

The Hearts Awake song sound nice but that album is pretty hard to find.

Isn't that album just super soft atmosphericore with spoken word over top, and they occasional typical post hardcore section with possibly pianos overtop?

If you like that, maybe try "A Day's Past"? They have no shortage of breakdowns though.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:24 pm 

Could I get some recommendation for bands like, All Out War, Arkangel, Cold as Life, ACME, Catharsis, Lariat, Merauder, Gaza, Ironside and Acrid.
PLZ THX

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:15 am 

Has anyone listened to The Acacia Strain's new album Coma Witch? How do you think DL's replacements fared in terms of living up to his legacy? Personally I think this album is so much better than Death is the Only Mortal. The Observer is more pointless than Tactical Nuke off of Wormwood in my opinion, but it's still a great album.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 pm 

I heard a couple tracks off the new Acacia Strain, I'm really liking that guitar tone, but I really haven't listened to any of their previous stuff at all.

I guess the Holy Guile has a new album out, I'm really torn on this album. On one side there's the incredibly obnoxious white kid rapper aspect, and on the other is some really phenomenal riffing and some overall awesome vocals, but there's rapping, in the most offensive, "damn gurl" way. Maybe I just wanted a Crimson Armada pt.2 without the Christian undertones. I want to like this band but... there's a white kid rapping... and he's no RA the Rugged Man by far.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:18 pm 

Anyone got some deathcore bands that operate on high speeds, but aren't necessarily technical?

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:23 am 

I want to find some metalcore that I may like. Normally I listen to slow placed melancholic or atmospheric music. So is there any band that might fit the bill in some way

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 pm 

Not exactly a direct post to the one above. Just throwing this out there to the thread.

What Awaits Us
Spoiler: show

Good album. Nice melodic parts coinciding with the riffs.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:53 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Not exactly a direct post to the one above. Just throwing this out there to the thread.

What Awakes Us
Spoiler: show

Good album. Nice melodic parts coinciding with the riffs.

This is really good stuff. It sucks that they don't have a bandcamp up or anything. I can only find 2 full songs on youtube.

And for fast-paced deathcore that isn't technical, maybe Animosity (especially their last album) and Salt the Wound
Animosity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFf5jfVHDms

Salt the Wound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzfjXHmd6O8

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm 

Just to dump more good -core stuff that's come out that I wasn't aware of until earlier today, Reaping Asmodeia's full length is pretty impressive, it's really fast and kinda proggy with some almost poppy melodies in between some really savage riffs and vocals.
http://reapingasmodeia.bandcamp.com

georgeluvsthemetal777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:52 am 

Yeah man Most metalheads like a handful of such bands. My fav metalcore bands are ZAO, As I Lay Dying, Trivium & Bullet For My Valentine (childhood favorite) Deathcore: Whitechapel, Carnifex, Suicide Silence, Black Dahlia Murder,Winds of Plague, Sea of Treachery, Fit For An Autopsy. However Carnifex and Fit For An Autopsy contain high quantities of death metal elements.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:43 pm 

Cookiemonster16 wrote:
Could I get some recommendation for bands like, All Out War, Arkangel, Cold as Life, ACME, Catharsis, Lariat, Merauder, Gaza, Ironside and Acrid.
PLZ THX

That's quite a broad spectrum, but I'd recommend Morning Again, Aftershock, early Bloodjinn, Prayer for Cleansing and Undying for the more metal influenced end of the spectrum (All Out War and Arkangel). As far as Cold As Life, I'd look for Bad Luck 13 Riot Extravaganza, Misura, Buried Alive and Shockwave. Hell most of the mid to late '90s Buffalo, Cleveland and Erie scenes should be up your alley.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:59 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I heard a couple tracks off the new Acacia Strain, I'm really liking that guitar tone, but I really haven't listened to any of their previous stuff at all.

I guess the Holy Guile has a new album out, I'm really torn on this album. On one side there's the incredibly obnoxious white kid rapper aspect, and on the other is some really phenomenal riffing and some overall awesome vocals, but there's rapping, in the most offensive, "damn gurl" way. Maybe I just wanted a Crimson Armada pt.2 without the Christian undertones. I want to like this band but... there's a white kid rapping... and he's no RA the Rugged Man by far.

Kinda late here but I felt like I had to chime in: The vocalist of The Crimson Armada and The Holy Guile is in no way white. It doesn't excuse his rapping but he's still not white.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40 pm 

There any deathcore bands out there that sound like old school metalcore bands like Integrity but use death metal riffs and vocals?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:44 pm 

It sounds like you're asking for death metal with old school metalcore drums, just by the process of elimination.

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:12 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
There any deathcore bands out there that sound like old school metalcore bands like Integrity but use death metal riffs and vocals?

Starkweather sort of fit this description, try there first album.
Starkweather RYMhttps://rateyourmusic.com/artist/starkweather_f1

Lonewolfen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:21 am 

Hi! I listen to second wave metalcore, bands like killswitch engage, unearth, trivium! But i dont love third wave so shitty! Last times i felt in love with deathcore downtempo! Bands like BLACK TONGUE and TRAITORS!

~Guest 350489
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:34 am 

if you arent listening to the new NO ZODIAC album then you're messing up! is almost straight up death metal now.

TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:21 pm 

For anyone interested in Blackened Deathcore, some bands I like and descriptions of them:

Carnifex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hafyakGXE (black metal riffs, sorrowful melodies, symphonic elements)

Ovid's Withering - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDRyoCTV5E (black metal riffs, some shrieked vocals, metalcore/deathcore breakdowns)

Take Charge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D69nK8GpQw (metalcore styled chugging, black metal melodies and solos, death metal drumming)

TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:19 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
I want to find some metalcore that I may like. Normally I listen to slow placed melancholic or atmospheric music. So is there any band that might fit the bill in some way

I think you'll like Aegaeon. They play mix of metalcore/deathcore and downtempo ambient music. Their sound is very unique and interesting.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgzR_g7b85A

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next