Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
externe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:34 am 

I've listened to a lot of EBM and electro in my teen years and now I'm having like a personal revival on it and I can't find any good band in the last two decades, I'm looking for any decent electro-industrial that doesn't copycat the old school classics (Front 242, Skinny Puppy, FLA, Nitzer Ebb) not introduce those annoying psytrance elements (I mean, no Grendel or such). Something I miss about the old school bands is the dystopian urban vibe, no gothic crap involved.
I know Youth Code, not my cup of tea but decent at least.
Any suggestion will be very welcomed.

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 am 

For some good dystopian vibe, try these instrumental albums (sorry, no full tracks streaming, only sample - too underground :lol:):

H.e.e.l. ‎- Light In The Hell (2005)
http://www.discogs.com/Heel-Light-In-Th ... ase/574391
really dark and urban

Gregory - Restart Now (2004)
http://www.discogs.com/Gregory-Restart- ... ase/981066
experimental, weird stuff (I always associate it with the movie "Brazil", dunno why)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:11 pm 

Feindflug, Hocico, Tactical Sekt, Wumpscut, Panzer AG.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:44 pm 

KMFDM and Skold did a collaboration a few years ago. Obviously, KMFDM's hardly a modern band, but the album deviates from their standard dance-metal shtick (it's basically straight-up electro-industrial), and manages to have an old-school vibe without landing on any single band's doorstep.

Youtube: show

Troodon_metallicus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:23 am 

Unity mentioned Hocico and I second that recommendation. In case you like Hocico, you can later try Dulce Liquido or Rabia Sorda, but it's up to you.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 pm 

Santa Hates you. May be too dance oriented for you but I find these guys fun to listen to.

Arsch Dolls. This one is noisier than the last.

Xentrifuge Noisier still.

Hopefully one of those will work for you.

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:06 pm 

I don't really know well this genre so i apologize if this suggestion doesn't fit, but "electronic and dystopian, whitout gothic elements" makes me think of the industrial band Author&Punisher.. check them out!

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:26 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I don't really know well this genre so i apologize if this suggestion doesn't fit, but "electronic and dystopian, whitout gothic elements" makes me think of the industrial band Author&Punisher.. check them out!

That's more doom metal than anything. Electro-industrial is more or less dance music, and is (as the name implies) primarily electronic: Like this, this, and this.

externe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 am 

thanks to all the recommendations, so far the only interesting one is Author & Punisher, it's definitely not electro-industrial but a very good one!

please keep them coming! from me side I also found Allied Vision 'MBMO',

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:46 pm 

You could check out the countless projects from the guy you linked the Allied Vision video from.

His main act is Ion Plasma Incineration. He releases albums with different styles under different names and projects such as Tachyon Crisis Talon. Most of it is pretty dark and has a very dystopian, Lovecraftian vibe. The extremely abrasive vocals might not be everyone's cup of tea though, but they suit the music most of the time in my view.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:21 am 

I went to another forum and asked the resident industrial fan for some help:

Me:
Quote:
I'm looking for electro-industrial that a) isn't aggrotech or overly psytrance-y, and b) isn't copy-catting the oldschool classics,

Response:
Quote:
I think those requirements pretty much eliminates 99.9% of modern electro acts. The genre has really fallen into a slump of Puppy and FLA clones. Unfortunately they don't tend to be very good. Most of the stuff that gets raved about (Youth Code, High Functioning Flesh) wouldn't even get the time of day from CCP back when. That said, I do have some recommendations, even if I did slightly ignore your wants.

Chrysalide - Right next to 3TEETH as my favorite newer Industrial act. While 3TEETH is Industrial Metal, these guys a full blown electro-industrial nightmare. This project pretty much captures the audio insanity of prime Skinny Puppy without sounding like a tribute act. Their sound is hard, brutal and aggressive.
Listen: "Question Everything", "We Are Not Cursed", "Substance Over Style", "I Do Not Divert Eyes" and "Anger is a Show"

Formalin - I really like these guys. They definitely have a more modern electro-industrial sound, while still incorporating old school elements. They're able to mix big club friendly beats with atmosphere and harsh electronics and package it into good solid songs. Supercluster is their newest album and just came out a few months ago.
Listen: "Salvation", "Tied and Blinded", "Dead Fashion", "Collider" and "My Fetish"

Die Sektor - This project started out firmly grounded in the aggrotech sound, but their sound shifted starting with their 2011 album, Applied Structures in a Void. While they still utilize the hard edge of aggrotech, they've practically pushed that sub-genre to the breaking point. The results are a blistering, and boundary pushing electro-industrial machine.
Listen: "Accelerant", "The Final Electro Solution", "Feeding Famine" and "Beneath"

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:35 am 

Audio Paradox This seems to be like, exactly what you're looking for.
2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

Note: Not gonna be active on MA for the foreseeable future. Email [ imperialkodnarok AT gmail DOT com ] if you need to get in touch.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 pm 

Empty

Geomatic

externe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:01 am 

@TheLastSucker: yes! this Ion Plasma Incineration guy is truly good, great found man!
all his projects seems to remain almost unknown whilst people listen to Hocico and Grendel :durr:

WhiteSwan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 pm 

This could fit, maybe? www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPHL91GGrg

sebas4423
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:40 pm 

Maybe try this thread...:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=110201

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:26 pm 

So, I like the genre too and this thread looked like a good challenge seeing the current state of things. Not sure you like these styles of electro-industrial, but I'll post what I found.
Blanck Mass

Ice Ages (actually knew this group, This Killing Emptiness is also a good album)

The Retrosic (it was actually more aggrotech-ey before this release mind you)

Also, you know, FLA, Skinny Puppy, and Laibach continued releasing through the last ten years. Not that I enjoy any.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 pm 

And Combichrist! ;)

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:58 pm 

Unity wrote:
And Combichrist! ;)

Actually, Combichrist is aggrotech.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:30 am 

I saw Combichrist open for KMFDM, and it was easily the dullest opening act I've ever seen. Totally turned me off to the entire band.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
I saw Combichrist open for KMFDM, and it was easily the dullest opening act I've ever seen. Totally turned me off to the entire band.

Heh, I saw them open for Rammstein and I loved it. To each his own, I guess. :)

Reply to topic