Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:03 pm 

Can I just generally recommend the American prog rock band Yezda Urfa? They made a demo and a self financed, self-released LP in 1976, and no one cared.
A bit of Yes, a bit of Gentle Giant, a bit of Tull and a whole lot of weird which makes for an absolutely great sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9I9OjNZL-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51L2fMDv6YE

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:19 pm 

New Ion Vein song. Album out July 4/8.
I'm not really convinced by this song. Too much "aggression", not enough progressive. But then again, the name of the song is "Anger", maybe it's part of a concept. I won't pass judgement until I've heard the full album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApS2NfTImEE

Xlxlx
May contain traces of nuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hey, anyone here know any albums or bands along the lines of Conception's In Your Multitude? I'm talking about music that, while still definitely proggy, sticks to riffier, more compact songs around 3-4 minutes in length. Awesome vocals are definitely a huge plus.

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:20 am 

Do you know Secrecy? Their vocalist (intentionally effeminate/"weak") isn't anything like Roy Khan but they have the crunchy and compact thing down well (and I consider Art in Motion to be one of the greatest metal albums I know of).

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:00 am 

That's a bit more old school than what I was expecting, though it was also quite good. Sure, the vocals aren't great, but they're serviceable and the band sticks to the criteria I was looking for. Lots of cool leads too. Thanks, man!

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
(...) microwaves are your best friends. You'll learn to cook anything and everything by nuking it.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am 

Speaking of Conception, have you heard their first demo? Very Weird!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0h4oYhKaQ

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:17 pm 

For a fraction of a second I thought that was Khan. Glad to know it's only Ostby's brother :lol:

KolmeNoitaa wrote:

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:34 am 

I've been listening to Riverside's Second Life Syndrome and I'm enjoying it. I wanted to know your opinion on the band, and perhaps albums recommendations if you have.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:14 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Hey, anyone here know any albums or bands along the lines of Conception's In Your Multitude? I'm talking about music that, while still definitely proggy, sticks to riffier, more compact songs around 3-4 minutes in length. Awesome vocals are definitely a huge plus.

I trust you know Slauter Xstroyes, friend? They have a few longer songs but most are quite compact, riffy as hell, and John Stewart is one of the greatest metal vocalists. Also Voivod if by some weird chance you haven't heard 'em yet, try 'Dimension Hatross' and 'Nothingface'. Nothingface is a little lighter on the riffs but the songs are fairly short and the vocals kill. Sorry if you know both these bands, mate, I'll see if I can dig anything else up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Aeons End's 'Spiral Seas' is quite good thrashy prog with a female vocalist. It can be hard to find so PM me if needed.

EDIT 2: Forgot all about Holocaust's little gem of an EP 'The Sound of Souls'. Compact song lengths with heavy Voivod influence. Check it out for sure.

Aydross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm 

Hey Empy, that Shadrane band is pretty good, checking them out atm.

Xlxlx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 pm 

@Jophelerx: familiar with and love both Slauter and Voivod :-P Aeons End and Holocaust don't ring any bells though, so I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

KolmeNoitaa wrote:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:24 pm 

Check out 'Hypnosis of Birds' and 'Covenant' as well if you like the Holocaust EP. The songs are longer on average but both records are top-notch. Both albums also have quality reviews if you want more info on 'em.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17