Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
asd27
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 201
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:12 pm 
 

I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?

Top
 Profile  
yogibear
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:22 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:02 pm 
 

Audioslave666raj wrote:
I dont know if classifying Devil doll as progressive metal is justified or not, but does anyone here know of a band that incorporates such diversified styles and genres of music in one album as Devil doll? I first listened to this band 4 or 5 months ago, i liked it and then completely forgot about it.Just rediscovered it to realise what a brilliant piece of art Dies Irae is!!!

PS - Please, dont recommend weird sounding or highly technical bands, I just want stuffs similar to this.If you have heard it, you must be knowing what exactly i am lookign for.
Italian band Deus ex Machina

Top
 Profile  
yogibear
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:22 pm
Posts: 1494
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:13 pm 
 

Zero Hour side project is pretty good. They are called "Death Machine".
they are more straight forward metal but very heavy and have some good vocals somewhat similar to Phil Anselmo

Top
 Profile  
Misty_Lake
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 271
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:13 pm 
 

Ihsahn is exactly what your looking for.

Top
 Profile  
PeachPit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:33 pm 
 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
Can anyone suggest prog metal bands stylistically similar to Pain Of Salvation. Something with both accoustic, soft and heavy tracks within the same album. The vocals should be good in the vein of Riverside and not anything harsh or overtly heavy. I usually listen to Dream Theater as well. So similrities with them are also welcome. But it should not be outright copying (Think of the case bet Opeth and Farmakon, outright copying!!)

Thanx in advance..


obZen wrote:
I'm too lazy to name all the bands I like. And much to my own chagrin regarding my helplessness, I will just name Pain of Salvation. Tired right now to rack my brain for much other than PoS.

I am looking for something that isn't obvious. New or old, doesn't matter. Although if it's anything at all to do with how PoS sound, I would assume that newer bands would be more relevant.

Things I don't want:
-pointless instrumental interludes, long or short. I hate when they're just there in attempts to make the album feel more complete. These either drag on and/or are pointless
-Little to no variability between the songs in the album
-Pansy ass power progressive. I like fairly ballsy prog. But I also like Pain of Salvation, which aren't 100% ballsy, but still pretty damn ballsy. When I say pansy ass, I'm trying to avoid cheese. I'm trying to avoid falsettos. Having said this, I love Symphony X as well.
-This is rather redundant since I already said I don't want the absence of variability between the songs on the album. Well, I am saying it again. I'd like the songs to speak to me by being unique and memorable.

Maybe I came off as a douche. I apologize. Just recommend me some prog that's not obvious and doesn't suck cheese with memorable, yet non-cheesy riffs.


You guys should check out Scariot and Seventh Wonder. If you only have time for one, Seventh Wonder is the better band, especially on the album Mercy Falls, although Scariot is no let down.

Top
 Profile  
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 696
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:33 pm 
 

I'm really looking for something similar to early Symphony X. More specifically, I really enjoy all their awesome guitar/keyboard noodling, and their audible use of a bassist.

Top
 Profile  
Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 121
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm 
 

asd27 wrote:
I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?


I only have No exit and Perfect Symmetry, they are both good but if your want a heavier, thrashy Fates Warning get No Exit but if you want more progressive then check out Perfect symmetry. Both really good though and if you like DT then you will definitely like Fates Warning. Also, if you don't know much by Queensryche, you should check out their first three albums and the Queensryche EP, similar to Fates Warning as in early Prog Metal.

Top
 Profile  
asd27
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm
Posts: 201
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:20 pm 
 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
asd27 wrote:
I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?


I only have No exit and Perfect Symmetry, they are both good but if your want a heavier, thrashy Fates Warning get No Exit but if you want more progressive then check out Perfect symmetry. Both really good though and if you like DT then you will definitely like Fates Warning. Also, if you don't know much by Queensryche, you should check out their first three albums and the Queensryche EP, similar to Fates Warning as in early Prog Metal.


Thanks for your recommendations. I already am a huge fan of Queensryche's earlier stuff, so I guess that helps.

Top
 Profile  
2Eagle333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 pm 
 

asd27 wrote:
I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?
Either 'Awaken the Guardian' or 'The Spectre Within'. Flip a coin or something.

Top
 Profile  
Castian
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 11
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 am 
 

Is Wuthering Heights considered progressive metal? I'm a big fan of their stuff, especially their folk sound. I'm just breaking into prog metal and I'm trying to find stuff that doesn't sound like death or power metal, and it's almost impossible. Any suggestions?

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Retired

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8754
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:42 am 
 

I would say that it is quite fitting for the classification.

Top
 Profile  
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 3813
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm 
 

im a big fan of shit like Queensryche, FW Savatage and the like. does anyone know any fairly unknown 80s shit in this vein i might enjoy. i like Letter X, but dont care too much for Dream Theatre. i could list you more band i have but dont have my music with me.
_________________
Razorwyre:
promo track track from 'Another Dimension' LP
"The best speed metal album of the year"

The Sick Room:Heavy Metal Radio, Reviews, Glorification, and Nudity

Top
 Profile  
Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 121
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:53 pm 
 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
im a big fan of shit like Queensryche, FW Savatage and the like. does anyone know any fairly unknown 80s shit in this vein i might enjoy. i like Letter X, but dont care too much for Dream Theatre. i could list you more band i have but dont have my music with me.

They are not from the 80's but by those bands I have a feeling that you might like Symphony X. They are great Power/Progressive metal, I would suggest getting The Odyssey by them if you are interested.
Also, in August i'm going to the progressive nation tour and I was wondering if anyone could recommend which Pain of Salvation album would be the best to buy first? I have never heard anything by them and would like to get familiar with their material before the show.

Top
 Profile  
PeachPit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 519
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 pm 
 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
Also, in August i'm going to the progressive nation tour and I was wondering if anyone could recommend which Pain of Salvation album would be the best to buy first? I have never heard anything by them and would like to get familiar with their material before the show.


Entropia is from what I have heard their cut and dry best, very solid stuff. Their newer album Scarsick I also found to be very good, although a lot less metal. So if you want their more progressive metal stuff, definitely check out Entropia or One Hour by Concrete Lake, OHBCL has a really cool concept with it too. The more poppy kinda more crooning less metal Scarsick is by no means a bad album, though I found it had some filler and drawn out sections. Check out Disco Queen and Flame to the Moth from that album just to see some fun highlights.

Top
 Profile  
Efilnikufesin17
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 pm
Posts: 121
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:51 pm 
 

Entropia is from what I have heard their cut and dry best, very solid stuff. Their newer album Scarsick I also found to be very good, although a lot less metal. So if you want their more progressive metal stuff, definitely check out Entropia or One Hour by Concrete Lake, OHBCL has a really cool concept with it too. The more poppy kinda more crooning less metal Scarsick is by no means a bad album, though I found it had some filler and drawn out sections. Check out Disco Queen and Flame to the Moth from that album just to see some fun highlights.[/quote]
Cool thanks! I'll probably check out Entropia, i had heard that Pain of Salvation was a great band so I figured I'd like to know a little of their stuff before seeing them live. I'll probably get OHBCL as well because I love concept albums so i'll probably love it!

Top
 Profile  
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 3813
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 am 
 

Efilnikufesin17 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
im a big fan of shit like Queensryche, FW Savatage and the like. does anyone know any fairly unknown 80s shit in this vein i might enjoy. i like Letter X, but dont care too much for Dream Theatre. i could list you more band i have but dont have my music with me.

They are not from the 80's but by those bands I have a feeling that you might like Symphony X. They are great Power/Progressive metal, I would suggest getting The Odyssey by them if you are interested.
Also, in August i'm going to the progressive nation tour and I was wondering if anyone could recommend which Pain of Salvation album would be the best to buy first? I have never heard anything by them and would like to get familiar with their material before the show.


yeah i listened to Symphony X about 4-5 years ago and didnt really care for it. it seemed a bit bland, kinda "too drawn out" or something. didnt like the vocals, and seemed like a bit of a lack of balls. dunno, that was a long time ago. would appreciate more recs though. cheers
_________________
Razorwyre:
promo track track from 'Another Dimension' LP
"The best speed metal album of the year"

The Sick Room:Heavy Metal Radio, Reviews, Glorification, and Nudity

Top
 Profile  
Vinvm
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 5:25 pm
Posts: 64
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:07 pm 
 

I don't know if this was posted already, But If you're really into Progressive/classic jazzy type metal all i have to say is WINDS.


Winds is basically Pink Floyd with heavy guitars and Hellhammer on drums

Top
 Profile  
in_human_form
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 639
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 pm 
 

Vinvm wrote:
I don't know if this was posted already, But If you're really into Progressive/classic jazzy type metal all i have to say is WINDS.


Winds is basically Pink Floyd with heavy guitars and Hellhammer on drums


Thanks for the recommendation. I'm really enjoying The Imaginary Directions of Time. It has some nice string arrangements.

Top
 Profile  
Castian
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 11
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:29 am 
 

I'm looking for good progressive metal, stuff that sounds like Vanden Plas, Shadow Gallery, or Circus Maximus. Any suggestions?

Top
 Profile  
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 pm
Posts: 3813
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:44 am 
 

still after good, lesser known 80's progressive stuff if anyone's got recs
_________________
Razorwyre:
promo track track from 'Another Dimension' LP
"The best speed metal album of the year"

The Sick Room:Heavy Metal Radio, Reviews, Glorification, and Nudity

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 18931
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:01 pm 
 

Prog fans should check out Stygma IV's Solum Mente Infirmis, as it is compelling, addictive, elaborate and just downright great. Here's a band that never got their dues.

Top
 Profile  
Hybrid_Thing
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:22 pm
Posts: 105
Location: Colombia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 pm 
 

I'm looking for stuff like Threshold. Any recommendations?
_________________
"He is so metal, he is actually Rob Halford's son."
"But...Rob Halford's gay!"
"Exactly."

Top
 Profile  
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 1524
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 pm 
 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
still after good, lesser known 80's progressive stuff if anyone's got recs


Since you mentioned Letter X (debut '91?) I'll assume you mean stylistically, and not specific to the 80's decade itself.

Secrecy
Slauter Xstroyes
Vauxdvihl

Try The Last Things (sort of Savatage-y), Spectral Incursion (weird dark speed/thrash/prog), and Mayfair (Fates Warning-esque) if you already know the above.

Top
 Profile  
RobotGigante
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 am
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:59 pm 
 

asd27 wrote:
I'm a Dream Theater fan, so I have been thinking about checking out Fates Warning. What album should I get first?


If you haven't heard them you should also try Circus Maximus and A.C.T

Top
 Profile  
ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 1083
Location: India
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm 
 

I am looking for a bit more of extreme progressive metal. I need a band thats fast and heavy in the vein of Edge of Sanity but also employ more clean vocals than EoS. Maybe something like a much heavier and faster Opeth. Mention anything that you think I should try even if its obvious.
But no tech/prog death.
_________________
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."

Top
 Profile  
in_human_form
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:08 pm
Posts: 639
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:19 pm 
 

ScourgeOfDeath wrote:
I am looking for a bit more of extreme progressive metal. I need a band thats fast and heavy in the vein of Edge of Sanity but also employ more clean vocals than EoS. Maybe something like a much heavier and faster Opeth. Mention anything that you think I should try even if its obvious.
But no tech/prog death.


Try In Mourning. You said no progressive death, but want something like a heavier/faster Opeth. In Mourning fits that description.

Top
 Profile  
TheWatchersEye
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 pm 
 

I'm looking to find stuff in the vein of Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Pain of Salvation, etc. You know, good use of keyboards. Thanks.

Top
 Profile  
RobotGigante
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 am
Posts: 92
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:25 pm 
 

If you don't mind instrumental stuff, Jens Johansson's solo stuff might be good (the Fission album).

Top
 Profile  
KingVold
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:05 am
Posts: 1082
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:39 pm 
 

Could I have a list of the essential Prog Metal albums please? I don't listen to any (unless you count Uriah Heep) so I am un utterly blank slate. Educate me!
_________________
ENKC wrote:
I honestly have no idea what the subject of this thread is.


AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

Top
 Profile  
rexxz
Retired

Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:45 pm
Posts: 8754
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:52 am 
 

No, what you're asking is incredibly stupid. Just get into it yourself, do some work in exploring your own taste and it will be much more rewarding.

Top
 Profile  
CyberMessiah
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 am
Posts: 6
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:34 pm 
 

levasty wrote:
We all know the drill, but this time it's PROGRESSIVE!


This is a thread for those looking for that specific Progressive Metal band they've been looking for and for those willing to help.


I'll start I'm looking for some Progressive metal band that have harsh vocal and uses High-Tempo, also If the sound is very intricate then kudos for you.


Check out into eternity
_________________
Enemies of metal:Your death is our reward

Top
 Profile  
Mankat
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 am
Posts: 7
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:15 am 
 

I am looking for some suggestions on either Power Progressive and/or Thrash Progressive. I have done some browsing on the database for some bands and what not, but I am not having any luck (Mainly I was just looking at the names and if any jumped out at me I gave them a listen to). I listen to Cynic, Opeth, Disilussion (Misspelled probably), and other bands that aren't on the Database.

Top
 Profile  
CyberMessiah
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 am
Posts: 6
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 am 
 

Mankat wrote:
I am looking for some suggestions on either Power Progressive and/or Thrash Progressive. I have done some browsing on the database for some bands and what not, but I am not having any luck (Mainly I was just looking at the names and if any jumped out at me I gave them a listen to). I listen to Cynic, Opeth, Disilussion (Misspelled probably), and other bands that aren't on the Database.



try out control denied
_________________
Enemies of metal:Your death is our reward

Top
 Profile  
thomash
Metal Philosopher

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Posts: 1855
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:58 am 
 

You can't go wrong with Control Denied, of course. I think you should also look into Mekong Delta - they're probably one of the best progressive thrash bands of all time and definitely do the best job worshiping at the altar of classical music of any metal band. They're pretty much a no-brainer.

Also, if you like Control Denied (which you should since they have a lot in common with Cynic for a power metal band), you should definitely try Symphony X. I tend to think that they were a little bit too easygoing before the latest album, but they've always been a very talented band.

As far as progressive technical thrash goes, Watch Tower is absolutely essential. Easily some of the best thrash ever. (For extra credit, check out Ron Jarzombek's later projects, which are all quite technical and progressive although neither thrash nor power. Just pure awesome.)

Obvious recommendations: Ayreon, which is a very cool progressive metal project with a lot of power metal elements. Also, everybody seems to love Dream Theater and, while I find James LaBrie quite tiresome and much of their work overrated, Live at Budokan and Metropolis Pt. II are pretty damned awesome.

Savatage! Fucking awesome band. They sum up all the best elements of 80s power metal and progressive metal. Buy or die! Also, I think Target from Belgium might be right up your alley - particularly if you like Watch Tower and Mekong Delta.

Jesus, I almost forgot Voivod! :boo: Anyway, Voivod is pretty essential, but they really only combined technical, progressive, and thrash styles on a couple of albums. I would start with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. If you want to hear them play relatively more traditional thrash, pick up War and Pain. For weird, technical, proggy stuff start with Nothingface and go from there.

Top
 Profile  
Mankat
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 am
Posts: 7
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 am 
 

thomash wrote:
You can't go wrong with Control Denied, of course. I think you should also look into Mekong Delta - they're probably one of the best progressive thrash bands of all time and definitely do the best job worshiping at the altar of classical music of any metal band. They're pretty much a no-brainer.

Also, if you like Control Denied (which you should since they have a lot in common with Cynic for a power metal band), you should definitely try Symphony X. I tend to think that they were a little bit too easygoing before the latest album, but they've always been a very talented band.

As far as progressive technical thrash goes, Watch Tower is absolutely essential. Easily some of the best thrash ever. (For extra credit, check out Ron Jarzombek's later projects, which are all quite technical and progressive although neither thrash nor power. Just pure awesome.)

Obvious recommendations: Ayreon, which is a very cool progressive metal project with a lot of power metal elements. Also, everybody seems to love Dream Theater and, while I find James LaBrie quite tiresome and much of their work overrated, Live at Budokan and Metropolis Pt. II are pretty damned awesome.

Savatage! Fucking awesome band. They sum up all the best elements of 80s power metal and progressive metal. Buy or die! Also, I think Target from Belgium might be right up your alley - particularly if you like Watch Tower and Mekong Delta.

Jesus, I almost forgot Voivod! :boo: Anyway, Voivod is pretty essential, but they really only combined technical, progressive, and thrash styles on a couple of albums. I would start with Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross. If you want to hear them play relatively more traditional thrash, pick up War and Pain. For weird, technical, proggy stuff start with Nothingface and go from there.


I've heard of Savatage and Symphony X (Given how I own Paradise Lost and I have listened to Hall of the Mountain King. Both are fucking great albums). I hate on Dream Theater too much for me to like them. I will give Watch Tower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, Target, and Control Denied a listen to.

Top
 Profile  
thomash
Metal Philosopher

Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:31 pm
Posts: 1855
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am 
 

Mankat wrote:
I've heard of Savatage and Symphony X (Given how I own Paradise Lost and I have listened to Hall of the Mountain King. Both are fucking great albums). I hate on Dream Theater too much for me to like them. I will give Watch Tower, Mekong Delta, Voivod, Target, and Control Denied a listen to.

Not surprising. I assume that most prog fans have heard Savatage, Symphony X and Dream Theater, but I though I'd mention them just in case. You won't be disappointed with the other bands, though!

Top
 Profile  
M3TALMANIAC750
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 pm
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm 
 

I am looking for some progressive metal that is not in the melodic power metal vein. A heavier death or groove metal feel like Mastodon, or Opeth.
Crack the Skye is a good example and Opeth's Ghost Reveries

Top
 Profile  
gomorro
Too Slow to Owl

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:54 pm
Posts: 906
Location: Peru
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:38 pm 
 

My band and I have a few questions, because we are searching a progressive sound so...
1) Wich kind of elements make a can band(without using keyboards) progressive ?
2) How a thrash band can add some progressive elements or influences?

Thanks in advance

Top
 Profile  
Acidchrist
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 pm
Posts: 522
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm 
 

gomorro wrote:
My band and I have a few questions, because we are searching a progressive sound so...
1) Wich kind of elements make a can band(without using keyboards) progressive ?
2) How a thrash band can add some progressive elements or influences?

Thanks in advance


1- Odd time signatures. Stay out of 4/4. Meshuggah is the biggest abuser of this, but old school prog bands such as King Crimson and Rush also use this to terrifyingly good effect.
2- Influences from other music styles, particularly Classical and Jazz.
3- Strong dynamics. (A good balance between loud and quiet sections, eg. Opeth, is essential.)
4- Technicality- playing your instruments to the best of your ability! This can often make a mediocre prog band decent or a great prog band even better. The inverse is also true, not playing your instruments as well as you possibly can could ruin your band.
5- Keyboards? Sorry.
6- Interesting harmonies and modalities. Don't just play in E Aeolian/G Ionian! Find a cool mode, and then change notes to be purposefully out of key. Also use full chords with a couple notes on each harmony instrument to create a fuller harmonic sound. Use all the music theory you know. Also-
7- LEARN YOUR THEORY!
8- Acoustic intros. ...Yeah, this is a good one for your thrash band, but if you use any of these suggestions in your thrash band, you'll be heading the way of Testament, Watchtower, Mekong Delta and Forbidden in no time!

*EDIT* 9- Extended compositions. You could probably have surmised this on your own, but the longer the tracks, the more progressive.
_________________
amputationspree.bandcamp.com
myspace.com/amputationspree

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Top
 Profile  
EntilZha
Retired

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 2222
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 pm 
 

Is there any prog metal that's like a metal version of Tool? Or generally just prog metal with a generally brooding, "introverted" atmosphere, not too high pitched vocals and not much fumbling on the higher strings/shredding and not being too 70s-ish/prog rock sounding...
_________________
Join my awesome last.fm groups: -1- / -2- / -3-

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beer Baron and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group