Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 pm 

domportera wrote:
I don't think The First Chapter is their best work. I enjoy it, but they've done better. If you're looking for a good hard-hitting prog metal album, go with Isolate. If you're looking for something more laid back with less super technical progressive noodling and even a more pop-ish influence, go for Nine, their new album.

Sounds like I'd be more of a fan of Isolate, but I'm going to check 'em both out for good measure. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:47 pm 

Ecliptik wrote:
Sounds like I'd be more of a fan of Isolate, but I'm going to check 'em both out for good measure. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

No problem dude

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 pm 

What do you guys think of Ark? Currently I'm listening to Burn the Sun for the second time. At first I thought it was cool but now the vocals get a bit annoying.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm 

I can't really find it anywhere. Where did you get it?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:04 pm 

I like that album, especially Missing You. I couldn't find it either though.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm 

splyu wrote:
You might like Canvas Solaris.

Holy shit thank you.

This is just what I was looking for.

kakanak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:01 am 

hello guys... im new here, someone could give me good progressive metal bands(prefer growls/hardcore vocals) with long songs? something like BTBAM, thanks for your help

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 pm 

kakanak wrote:
hello guys... im new here, someone could give me good progressive metal bands(prefer growls/hardcore vocals) with long songs? something like BTBAM, thanks for your help

May I suggest Obscura's Cosmogenesis?
or if you're looing for more -core prog, try Ascariasis's EP, Ocean of Colour

The songs on those albums aren't particularly long, but length doesn't define the quality of songs; don't let that sway you.

kakanak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 pm 

domportera wrote:
kakanak wrote:

May I suggest Obscura's Cosmogenesis?
or if you're looing for more -core prog, try Ascariasis's EP, Ocean of Colour

The songs on those albums aren't particularly long, but length doesn't define the quality of songs; don't let that sway you.

thanks! i'll try them, any other recommendations of progressive metal bands?

domportera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 pm 

kakanak wrote:
thanks! i'll try them, any other recommendations of progressive metal bands?

Hm... maybe you'd wanna try Death's album The Sound of Perseverance. or The Aura, by Beyond Creation

and if you're really looking for something more core-y, sort of post-hardcore djent prog, try Periphery's album, Periphery II.

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:40 pm 

I don't know if this has been asked or not but I am frankly not going to go through all the pages searching for an answer. So, I'm looking for more bands like Arcturus with phenomenal songwriting. The obvious ones that I already know are Sigh, Ved Buens End, Virus, Solefald, Age of Silence, Ihsahn, Transcending Bizarre, Peccatum, Vulture Industries. Anything outside of these mentioned would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

-Benedict de Spinoza

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:21 pm 

AmberSilkAmbiguity wrote:
I don't know if this has been asked or not but I am frankly not going to go through all the pages searching for an answer. So, I'm looking for more bands like Arcturus with phenomenal songwriting. The obvious ones that I already know are Sigh, Ved Buens End, Virus, Solefald, Age of Silence, Ihsahn, Transcending Bizarre, Peccatum, Vulture Industries. Anything outside of these mentioned would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

No answer?

-Benedict de Spinoza

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:28 pm 

Not an easy answer since you mention pretty much all the bands that are often associated in style with Arcturus. One that isn't present is Unexpect but they're way too bouncy for your request I think.

PS: You might enjoy Angst Skvadron, although it is a bit gimmicky!

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:34 pm 

androdion wrote:
Not an easy answer since you mention pretty much all the bands that are often associated in style with Arcturus. One that isn't present is Unexpect but they're way too bouncy for your request I think.

PS: You might enjoy Angst Skvadron, although it is a bit gimmicky!

Well I definitely appreciate your answer. Yeah I know Uexpect. I did enjoy their last offering with the other albums being a bit unfocused and "schizoid" for the sake of being so and nothing more. I will check out the other band you've mentioned. Cheers, man!

-Benedict de Spinoza

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm 

Guy I know put together a massive list of some of his favorite prog rock albums. Thought some of you guys might be interested.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheTrueMi ... st_of_prog

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 pm 

So dudes, I've been wanting to get into some Devin Townsend lately. It looks like everybody loves his entire discography equally, so that makes a starting point a little fuzzy. Suggestions?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am 

Ecliptik wrote:
So dudes, I've been wanting to get into some Devin Townsend lately. It looks like everybody loves his entire discography equally, so that makes a starting point a little fuzzy. Suggestions?

Start with Ziltoid the Omniscient and Accelerated Evolution if talking about his solo work. If talking about SYL, start with City and Alien.

You know what? I'm going to throw in Ki to. Just because it's awesome.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 pm 

Thanks, I got a little impatient waiting though and kinda jumped the gun. :)
So far I've listened to Accelerated Evolution, Physicist (my favorite as it stands), and Terria. I'll check out Ziltoid when I get a chance.
Really good stuff. A little overwhelming at times, but never boring.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 am 

looking for prog metal with dark / haunting sounding chord progressions and some tribal drumming (ala Killing Joke)

Only band I can think of is the later period Alchemist...any hklep would be appreciated

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:42 am 

suleiman wrote:
looking for prog metal with dark / haunting sounding chord progressions and some tribal drumming (ala Killing Joke)

Only band I can think of is the later period Alchemist...any hklep would be appreciated

Maybe try some Psychotic Waltz? A bit on the psychedelic side of prog with a high pitched singer and a use of tribal percussion in some songs. Cases in point:

Another Prophet Song
Butterfly

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:35 am 

androdion wrote:
suleiman wrote:

Maybe try some Psychotic Waltz? A bit on the psychedelic side of prog with a high pitched singer and a use of tribal percussion in some songs. Cases in point:

Another Prophet Song
Butterfly

alreday know and love that band...way underated

but nothing like the chord stylings of KJ... try some latter alchemist to see what i mean

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am 

I know, it was a long shot. I know Alchemist well but I'm not quite seeing a band playing like what you're asking.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm 

Try these two albums by Riverside:

Second Life Syndrome
Rapid Eye Movement

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:14 am 

No answer?

I used to listen a lot to that kind of bizarre schyzophrenic music.
Try these: Kadenzza, Akphaezya, The Wicked, Ram-zet, A Forest of Stars, Unexpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum... Well, that's all I can think of right now (in addition to the ones you're mentioning)

edit: I could add Diabolical Masquerade and also insist that you listen to A Forest of Stars, which are brilliant. ;)

kakanak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:19 am 

Hey guys... can you please recommend me of a progressive death metal bands, which their music is similar to Dream Theater's?
I don't want really similar to DT, but, im looking for prog death metal with long solos and instrumental parts.
Thanks!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:56 pm 

Read this on http://www.fateswarning.com/Forum/tabid ... fault.aspx today:

From Ray on Facebook:
Working on new Fates... Got a lot done today..

Thoughts about this? I personally have no idea what to expect. It probably won't be even mellower than Fates Warning X I guess. I can imagine something similiar to early/mid 90's Fates Warning could be written again instrumentally - Jim Matheos guitarwork on Sympathetic Resonance actually sounded really energetic to my ears and ocassionally reminded me of that era.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Read this on http://www.fateswarning.com/Forum/tabid ... fault.aspx today:

From Ray on Facebook:
Working on new Fates... Got a lot done today..

Thoughts about this? I personally have no idea what to expect. It probably won't be even mellower than Fates Warning X I guess. I can imagine something similiar to early/mid 90's Fates Warning could be written again instrumentally - Jim Matheos guitarwork on Sympathetic Resonance actually sounded really energetic to my ears and ocassionally reminded me of that era.

If it's as good as Arch/Matheos (virtually the same lineup, and Alder is talented in his own right) then we are in for a real treat.

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am 

Hey guys just found out about this site and bloody love it!!!!!!

I find it daunting to try and sift through all the pages to find what I am sure has been answered before, so here goes.....

I like traditional heavy metal, thrash, progressive and a tiny little bit of core but am sort of limited in the bands that I like and want to expand the amount of bands. I know these bands wont be everyone's taste but I'm hoping for some really good suggestions.
The bands that I like are : Metallica ( I like all their stuff but predominately the first 5 albums)
Dream theater, avenged sevenfold (waking the fallen onwards), trivium ( their latest was a bit hit and miss), protest the hero, bullet for my valentine ( can only just stand the vocals ) and a couple more.

As much as my favourite part of the music is the guitar the thing that stops me liking other bands that I know that are similar to the ones I've listed is the vocals. I like the vocalist to sing and not growl, scream or be cheesy aggressive. I like that grit but without sounding like it is so forced and unnatural, as much as I like the music side of bands like megadeath, evile and testament the vocals just prevent me from liking it.

Basically if you know of any bands that are similar to especially Metallica( modern vocals) avenged sevenfold ( waking onwards vocals) and trivium ( clean vocals) with the heavy riffs and solos I would love to hear them.
Or even if there are some good instrumental bands I would love to hear them.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm 

Check out both Realm albums. Guitar-oriented clean-sung progressive/thrash, and surprisingly I think some parallels can be drawn between them and the latest Protest the Hero album. Does the lack of metalcore screaming and breakdowns in Scurrilous make it your favorite of their albums?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:54 pm 

For something prog-core with mostly cleans ala Protest the Hero, check out these bands:

Art By Numbers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlt1LCA31A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLHWFosjyA

Today I Caught The Plague
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR723iZt6a8

Corelia (A bit more djenty)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuiIfHoezo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KCp3WEdYk

The Human Abstract (If you don't know them already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRitJ1m8E1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjD9ivb9YFk

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:07 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Check out both Realm albums. Guitar-oriented clean-sung progressive/thrash, and surprisingly I think some parallels can be drawn between them and the latest Protest the Hero album. Does the lack of metalcore screaming and breakdowns in Scurrilous make it your favorite of their albums?

I do like scurrilous a bit more than fortress but i still like kezia the most, not bad suggestion on realm, not exactly what im going for but not horrible.

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:09 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
For something prog-core with mostly cleans ala Protest the Hero, check out these bands:

Art By Numbers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlt1LCA31A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLHWFosjyA

Today I Caught The Plague
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR723iZt6a8

Corelia (A bit more djenty)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuiIfHoezo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KCp3WEdYk

The Human Abstract (If you don't know them already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRitJ1m8E1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjD9ivb9YFk

the human abstract and corelia arnt bad, cheers

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:44 pm 

Anyone got any female fronted progressive rock/metal? Think The 3rd and the mortal, the gathering, madder mortem sort of thing

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm 

Try Universe 217

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y5_6mJ6yf8

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Anyone got any female fronted progressive rock/metal? Think The 3rd and the mortal, the gathering, madder mortem sort of thing

If you like 3rd and the mortal, Atrox might be just up your alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sDlXCOceY
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

fadetonothing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 am 

I've just discovered Circus Maximus after seeing them mentioned on this thread and bloody love them, my other favourite is Dream Theater any other bands that have similar sound to their more recent releases, eg: Nigthmare to remember and Count of Tuscany by Dream Theater and Burn after reading and last goodbye by Circus Maximus, with also similar vocals?

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:46 am 

fadetonothing wrote:
I've just discovered Circus Maximus after seeing them mentioned on this thread and bloody love them, my other favourite is Dream Theater any other bands that have similar sound to their more recent releases, eg: Nigthmare to remember and Count of Tuscany by Dream Theater and Burn after reading and last goodbye by Circus Maximus, with also similar vocals?

Have you listened to Vanden Plas at all? Their last two albums, The Seraphic Clockwork and Christ 0, are top notch progressive metal albums. I would also recommend Creation's End's debut as well.

I've discovered a bunch of really good progressive metal bands the past few months thanks to Spotify. Would people that are into this be interested? If so, I'll put it together and post it here. Also, mods, this wouldn't break the rules of this thread, right? I'll try to include descriptions of the bands so it's not just a long list.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:15 pm 

Just came across this band Brothers Grimm, and I'm pretty blown away at the moment. For 1990 these guys were basically at the forefront of tech/prog metal, and apparently the bassist of Spiral Architect actually knew them from back in the early 90's due to them attending the same music college. Surely some Watchtower influence, but damn, if they weren't ahead of their time they certainly weren't behind anyone. Anyone else here familiar with them? I can't believe that I've never heard of them before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFIK3RWVHo

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:34 am 

Brothers Grimm, huh?
Never heard of them but this sounds interesting!

zzerk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:11 pm 

If anyone reading this thread hasn't heard Captain Beyond, do yourself a huge favor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXz-UIaauqQ

You really need to hear the whole first album. If you like early '70s heavy/prog with unbelievable drumming, an "astral" sort of feeling, and constant tempo/signature changes, then this is for you. Rod Evans voice fits perfectly too. Some really interesting guitar playing here. It's easily in my top 10 and I'm finally getting around to the other two albums today.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next