Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:24 pm 

I couldn't figure out what sort of title would be good for my request since it is specific but still general to the title.

I am looking for unique releases within the past five years. Not so much on the death metal side, more black metal, but sludge and thrash metal are acceptable if they are incredible or unique releases.

For examples, recent albums from bands like Abigor, Dodheimsgard, Lantlos, Ludicra, Krallice, Shining, Sigh, Opeth, Mastodon, Inter Arma, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Gorguts, Leviathan, Malthusian, Ulcerate, Mamaleek, Urfaust, Svaurtidaudi, Wormlust, Carpe Noctem etc. are all great and groundbreaking in their own ways and recommended artists are what I'm looking for. There are still a lot I didn't mention but don't wanna make the list too long.

Anything avant garde / psychedelic / progressive / "orthodox" / post-- /or unique (I hate using that term loosely) is appreciated. I don't know too many bands in the past 5 years of so outside of these and looking to get more acquainted with the scene.

Stuff like Behemoth, Carcass, Watain, Marduk, etc. aren't really bringing anything new to the table. Not to say they're bad just nothing that excites me anymore.

Hopefully this isn't too much! Thanks.

Morn Of Solace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:14 pm 

Lots of really epic stuff has been relased lately, i'll try to pick few highlights of the genres you like per year:

2010 churned out two great avant-black discs, Scenes from Hell by sigh and Norrøn Livskate by Solefald, a great prog black record by Enslaved (Axioma Ethica Odini) and a local band here put out what i consider a sadly forgotten tech thrash masterpiece: Abuser's Threats of Fate

in 2011 came out Negative Plane's Stained glass revelations, really cool occult black metal, and Midnight odyssey's first record (great trippy atmospheric black influenced by Schulze and Tangerine dream) also it was the year of Vector's outer isolation, wich is really good, despite being a little worse than the album before
worthy of mention despite not being totally metal is the avantgarde masterpiece The agent that shapes the desert by Virus, an album that seemed to me the natural evolution of Ved Buens Ende's great work Written in waters, only more bluesy, concise and memorable
..and don't forget the great ep The sleeping gods by Enslaved, were they try a different style of music for each song, an intresting experiment

2012 is the year the Enslaved Album RIITIIR (they never fail to me) and Spectral Lore's crowning achievement Sentinel, if you like Deathspell omega you will worship it! :)
Also there was the nighmarish album by Ævangelist and the always good Sigh (who put out In Somniphobia)
There is also the first album by Hail spirit noir: retro prog mixed with black metal!

in 2013 came out an ep by a new Thrash promise: Deceptor. really good and original stuff, a trait hard to find in the genre now!
in black metal came out Cultes des Ghoules's Henbane, and the really really good mix of black, thrash and prog of Zemial's Nykta

Last year gave us two masterpieces of prog black in Hail Spirit Noir's Oi Magoi and Thantifaxath 's Sacred white noise, a incredible technical black metal album by Thy Darkened Shade, an inclassificable technical Sludge album (Gastronomicon by Slugdge) and another two greek classics by Varathorn and Spectral lore

I've probably missed twenty or more discs (for example i don't know well post-black metal) but those are the ones that are still on regular rotation on my cd player.. enjoy the hunt and sorry for my grammar! XD

by the way from this year i'm really enjoying New Midnight odissey, New Dodheimsgard (another one that seems an alternative evolution of Written in waters) New Leviathan, new Sigh, new Enslaved and a new Greek black promise: Katavasia! :)

Last edited by Morn Of Solace on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:18 pm 

First thing that comes to mind is this album by Situs Magus, definitely fits in with the Orthodox/Avant-garde Black metal scene that I'd ascribe a lot of those bands to and is really good in comparison to a lot of the copycats.
Youtube: show

Also, theres already a thread regarding their upcoming album, but Mgla is an absolute essential. This is their newest track.

Karlabos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:24 pm 

Let's start with black metal, I guess. This genre surely has been receiving the highest number of "unique" bands, since the fans seem to be turning themselves to the more experimental side, which is the greatest of the things, imo.

A Forest Of Stars - Any of their three first albums, I'd say. There's no band similar to them, except maybe for The Water Witch, which is a band with the same members.
Hail Spirit Noir's debut is unique. Psychedelic black metal with those hammond orgnas and everything that makes it feel like psychedelic rock of the 70s (or 80s I dunno =P)
Oranssi Pazuzu. Any album, if you don't know the band. Earlier they were sort of jazz influenced black, lately it's more to psychedelic black with some sludge thrown here and there.
An Autumn For Crippled Children would now be classified as blackgaze, but still has its own identity.
Don't even get me started on the more underground/experimental side of black metal with the sudden surge of bands like Cloak Of Altering with their ugly yet formidable releases

Not to mention fusion of black bands with unexpected genres such as Verdunkeln with gothic guitars on a raw approach of black metal, Semargl mixing pop and black metal, Panopticon's late efforts with bluegrass influenced post-black and so on.

Even the more stable symphonic black has some fresh names like The CNK, Dekadent, newer Nokturnal Mortum or Obsidian Chamber

I personally am more into lo-fi stuff lately, there's so much I could recommend from there, but it would feel like spam.
Let's try one or other name like Jute Gyte, Gnaw Their Tongues, Botanist, Book Of Sand...

I don't know much about sludge or thrash as I'd like unfortunately, so can't exactly help you there.
If you're into folk metal I could recommend bands like Saor, Tengger Cavalry, Amocualli... Basic every folk metal band which doesn't do nordic/viking/european-based folk which over-saturates the genre.

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:17 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Lots of really epic stuff has been relased lately, i'll try to pick few highlights of the genres you like per year:

2010 churned out two great avant-black discs, Scenes from Hell by sigh and Norrøn Livskate by Solefald, a great prog black record by Enslaved (Axioma Ethica Odini) and a local band here put out what i consider a sadly forgotten tech thrash masterpiece: Abuser's Threats of Fate

in 2011 came out Negative Plane's Stained glass revelations, really cool occult black metal, and Midnight odyssey's first record (great trippy atmospheric black influenced by Schulze and Tangerine dream) also it was the year of Vector's outer isolation, wich is really good, despite being a little worse than the album before
worthy of mention despite not being totally metal is the avantgarde masterpiece The agent that shapes the desert by Virus, an album that seemed to me the natural evolution of Ved Buens Ende's great work Written in waters, only more bluesy, concise and memorable
..and don't forget the great ep The sleeping gods by Enslaved, were they try a different style of music for each song, an intresting experiment

2012 is the year the Enslaved Album RIITIIR (they never fail to me) and Spectral Lore's crowning achievement Sentinel, if you like Deathspell omega you will worship it! :)
Also there was the nighmarish album by Ævangelist and the always good Sigh (who put out In Somniphobia)
There is also the first album by Hail spirit noir: retro prog mixed with black metal!

in 2013 came out an ep by a new Thrash promise: Deceptor. really good and original stuff, a trait hard to find in the genre now!
in black metal came out Cultes des Ghoules's Henbane, and the really really good mix of black, thrash and prog of Zemial's Nykta

Last year gave us two masterpieces of prog black in Hail Spirit Noir's Oi Magoi and Thantifaxath 's Sacred white noise, a incredible technical black metal album by Thy Darkened Shade, an inclassificable technical Sludge album (Gastronomicon by Slugdge) and another two greek classics by Varathorn and Spectral lore

I've probably missed twenty or more discs (for example i don't know well post-black metal) but those are the ones that are still on regular rotation on my cd player.. enjoy the hunt and sorry for my grammar! XD

by the way from this year i'm really enjoying New Midnight odissey, New Dodheimsgard (another one that seems an alternative evolution of Written in waters) New Leviathan, new Sigh, new Enslaved and a new Greek black promise: Katavasia! :)

Great post!! Thanks for these, most are new to me. I know and enjoy Hail Spirit Noir, Thantifaxath, Sigh, Leviathan, and Dodheimsgard but I haven't heard any of the other bands. With the exception of Cultes des Ghoules but I found them rather uninspiring.

Necroghast wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is this album by Situs Magus, definitely fits in with the Orthodox/Avant-garde Black metal scene that I'd ascribe a lot of those bands to and is really good in comparison to a lot of the copycats.

Also, theres already a thread regarding their upcoming album, but Mgla is an absolute essential. This is their newest track.

Mgla is hit or miss for me, a lot of their music is either great or boring and I can't decide how I truly feel for them. I'll give them another chance. I haven't heard of Situs Magus, however, and their style sounds right up my alley so I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

Karlabos wrote:
Let's start with black metal, I guess. This genre surely has been receiving the highest number of "unique" bands, since the fans seem to be turning themselves to the more experimental side, which is the greatest of the things, imo.

A Forest Of Stars - Any of their three first albums, I'd say. There's no band similar to them, except maybe for The Water Witch, which is a band with the same members.
Hail Spirit Noir's debut is unique. Psychedelic black metal with those hammond orgnas and everything that makes it feel like psychedelic rock of the 70s (or 80s I dunno =P)
Oranssi Pazuzu. Any album, if you don't know the band. Earlier they were sort of jazz influenced black, lately it's more to psychedelic black with some sludge thrown here and there.
An Autumn For Crippled Children would now be classified as blackgaze, but still has its own identity.
Don't even get me started on the more underground/experimental side of black metal with the sudden surge of bands like Cloak Of Altering with their ugly yet formidable releases

Not to mention fusion of black bands with unexpected genres such as Verdunkeln with gothic guitars on a raw approach of black metal, Semargl mixing pop and black metal, Panopticon's late efforts with bluegrass influenced post-black and so on.

Even the more stable symphonic black has some fresh names like The CNK, Dekadent, newer Nokturnal Mortum or Obsidian Chamber

I personally am more into lo-fi stuff lately, there's so much I could recommend from there, but it would feel like spam.
Let's try one or other name like Jute Gyte, Gnaw Their Tongues, Botanist, Book Of Sand...

I don't know much about sludge or thrash as I'd like unfortunately, so can't exactly help you there.
If you're into folk metal I could recommend bands like Saor, Tengger Cavalry, Amocualli... Basic every folk metal band which doesn't do nordic/viking/european-based folk which over-saturates the genre.

I've heard and enjoy a few of these but haven't heard Verdunkeln, Semargl, or the lo-fi stuff..
Botanist was good but their lo-fi turned me off a bit but it's also been a while since I've listened so I'll give it another shot. Not much on most sympho black but I'll give those bands a try as well. Already know and enjoy Saor but the other folk metal I'm not familiar with. I'll give 'em a shot. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming everybody.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 pm 

Rhinocervs's final tape, RH-16, is short and half-ambient, but the three black metal tracks on it are preeeeetty far out there. See what you think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hm-JQ9pxFM

The rest of their discography is also excellent, but I'd say this is the most outright "odd" of any of their releases.

Reply to topic