Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:53 pm 

I was a big metal head in my early teens, but after that I started to get fed up with it for whatever reason and started to venture into stuff like power electronics and noise before settling for hip-hop / electronic music, and I am literally only starting to return to listening to metal.

I thank Slayer for bringing me back.

I am WAYY behind in what has been going on (15 years behind), so I want to do some catching up.

What albums would be considered must haves that have been released in that time frame? My favourite genre was always black metal but i will listen to anything if its good.

Cheers

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 pm 

The first thing that comes to mind is Reverend Bizarre's debut from 2002, In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend. This is an all time classic of traditional doom metal. Unfortunately, I've always thought that the 20+ minute closing track, Cirith Ungol, was a snooze, but I think that's a pretty unpopular opinion among fans. The rest of the tracks are at least good, and some of them are great, though I think the majority opinion, at least from doom metal fans, is that all tracks are great. I think this is a rare doom metal album where you don't have to be a big doom fan to appreciate it, while doom fans typically worship it.

Youtube: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:12 pm 

Atlantean Kodex's The White Goddess is the first real classic made by a new band in this new heavy metal movement, I think. An inimitable, charismatic album full of stirring epic music, great heartfelt lyrics and brilliant song structuring.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:20 pm 

probably easier if you state what you use to listen to back in the day, otherwise you're just going to get peoples personal favourites rather than something more like "renowned classics" :roll:

and to confirm, you're basically talking releases from 2000 onwards? Because the late 90's was a good period, in case you missed out.

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:52 pm 

Could anything that "new" (new being a relative term) really be considered a classic? I mean sure there's some that will be but for the most part it's probably still too early to be called a "classic".

As for my contribution there's two that jump out at me right away; Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris and Sarpanitum - Blessed be my Brothers... Both being of the tech death genre, they slay. Pure and simple these two albums are pummeling from start to finish.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 pm 

schizoid wrote:
probably easier if you state what you use to listen to back in the day, otherwise you're just going to get peoples personal favourites rather than something more like "renowned classics" :roll:

and to confirm, you're basically talking releases from 2000 onwards? Because the late 90's was a good period, in case you missed out.

Pretty much extreme metal, mainly black metal but i listened to death and doom as well. I think the likes of Khanate just came out with an album, and Converge just released Jane Doe at the time, i remember reading about them in Terrorizer, quite liked those albums. I'm quite open minded and will listen to anything which probably makes this tougher lol.

Yeah, no personal classics, im really just looking for those albums that all metal fans should have.

Kinda the same way if people were asking about death metal you would mention Alters Of Madess or Human etc.

Cheers for the responces so far.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm 

Forgot to mention, yeat basically 2001 onwards I guess

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:24 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Could anything that "new" (new being a relative term) really be considered a classic? I mean sure there's some that will be but for the most part it's probably still too early to be called a "classic".

As for my contribution there's two that jump out at me right away; Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris and Sarpanitum - Blessed be my Brothers... Both being of the tech death genre, they slay. Pure and simple these two albums are pummeling from start to finish.

OK, maybe semi-classic then. For example, you mention Lykathea Aflame. Personally I don't think they're that great, but they get a lot of mention and love around here, so that probably qualifies. Sarpantium, I've never even heard of so that probably doesnt.

Basically a general consensus of something being pretty well like or at least influential by the wider (metal archives) community is what I'm. getting at.

Also, when you're talking 15 years, that's a pretty long time. I don't think anyone would argue that something like Death's Symbolic was not regarded as a classic by around 2000 for instance.

As a recommendation, I'd say Nile and Origin as some more recent times death metal heavy weights.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 am 

I would say that Celtic Frost's comeback/swansong album "Monotheist" and Tom Warrior's follow-up band Triptykon are pretty essential. Immense slabs of dark doomy genre-spanning metal.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:37 am 

Could anything that "new" (new being a relative term) really be considered a classic?

I could come up with more than 10 albums. It's just the definition of "classic" is not about selling a ton of copies anymore, even though some of these have done so in this time frame.

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Nightwish - Once
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Tool - Lateralus
Isis - Oceanic
The Ocean - Precambrian
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Wintersun - Wintersun
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Enslaved - Below the Lights

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 am 

wasn't there a top 100 albums collated by reviews on this site? If someone could provide a link to that you could just go through finding all the more recent albums/albums you never heard.

EDIT: found them in this post here... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=104947

the lists were made in 2007 BTW.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:45 am 

From a black metal stand point, I think that Deathspell Omega has been one of the most influential bands in the past decade or so. Really interesting sound that has been the influence for a large scene of "orthodox" black metal (whatever you want to call it) from France, as well as some other regional scenes in Iceland, Netherlands, etc.

and some bands influenced by them:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:32 pm 

schizoid wrote:
wasn't there a top 100 albums collated by reviews on this site? If someone could provide a link to that you could just go through finding all the more recent albums/albums you never heard.

EDIT: found them in this post here... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=104947

the lists were made in 2007 BTW.

IMHO, that list is complete and utter bullshit though.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:31 pm 

Blizk wrote:
Could anything that "new" (new being a relative term) really be considered a classic?

I could come up with more than 10 albums. It's just the definition of "classic" is not about selling a ton of copies anymore, even though some of these have done so in this time frame.

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Nightwish - Once
Tool - Lateralus
Isis - Oceanic
The Ocean - Precambrian
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Wintersun - Wintersun
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Enslaved - Below the Lights

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
From a black metal stand point, I think that Deathspell Omega has been one of the most influential bands in the past decade or so. Really interesting sound that has been the influence for a large scene of "orthodox" black metal (whatever you want to call it) from France, as well as some other regional scenes in Iceland, Netherlands, etc.

and some bands influenced by them:

Cool I will check those out, cheers

maladie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:44 pm 

I'm trying to think of a few albums off the top of my head that would be classics for the last 15 years. This is by no means a "varoties" list either. I'll try to think of more and I'm trying to include a lot of different stuff.

Nightwish - Once - 2004

This album mostly cemented the place of symphonic metal within metal mainstream, featuring a female vocalist. The whole female vocalist did start in the 90's and you might be familiar with some of the bands that popularized it, but this is by many considered to be the high point of symphonic power metal which is (for many) synonymous with female-fronted bands. Expect bombast and lots of cheese. I personally never liked the album but so many people seem to put it very high up.

Opeth - Blackwater Park - 2001

You kinda stopped right here. The 90's were ushering in more and more death metal, which would also incorporate elements from prog rock. This album goes from clean singing to growls, from very proggy parts to death metal. It features some really incredible melodies and the drumming is absolutely top notch. A lot of bands tried to copy Opeth after this one.

ISIS - Oceanic - 2002

This band is highly influenced from Neurosis which you might have heard of back in the day. This album, ISIS and the few bands playing a similar style at the time, started a very big trend which eventually got called post-metal. Most bands that followed after this were incredibly derivative, but ISIS's Oceanic boasts some very interesting parts. Expect big riffs, a wall of sound, lots of texture and atmosphere.

Prinordial - To The Nameless Dead - 2007

This is black metal, but completely different than what you will remember from the 90's. Primordial also mix in some elements from folk music. They don't have the whole satanic kitsch which was a big big thing in the 90's.

Others that I can think of right now and will write about later:
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree
Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea
Behemoth - Demigod
Nevermore - Godless Endeavour

EDIT: It's interesting of trying to think of what's considered a classic within a 15 year time range, especially since it's around the time I got into metal.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:15 pm 

Dead Congregation's Graves of the Archangels may strike some as Incantation worship, but the band goes far beyond that. Awesome from start to finish and filled with some of the most badass riffs to come out of death metal in the past decade.

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:19 am 

As others said previously, Opeth Blackwater Park is, undisputed, the CLASSIC from these 15 years.
It's progressive, some cool elements, good production, instrumentals and vocals. You probably know it already seeing you mentioned Converge Jane Doe, which would also be a guess if you consider metalcore to be metal.

Primordial To the Nameless Dead too. Personally, I don't enjoy it at all, but I guess that's what makes a classic: people know the work even if they don't dig it.

Dunno about the opinion of the other guys on Bolt Thrower Those Once Loyal. If you like death metal, then look no more.

But there are many, many more.

oh my god people disagreed on something for several pages stop the presses

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:29 pm 

Lots of stuff coming to my mind, basically which I consider as classics. Don't quite know where to begin but these should provide you a primer:

Mournful Congregation - The Monad of Creation
Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Crowbar - Sonic Excess in Its Purest Form
Teitanblood - Seven Chalices
The Wounded Kings - The Shadow over Atlantis
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Yob - The Great Cessation
Necros Christos - Doom of the Occult
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of Bizarre Reverend + Harbinger of Metal EP
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues
Verdunkeln - Einblick in den Qualenfall
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead + The Gathering Wilderness
Dolorian - Voidwards
Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction
Suma - Let the Churches Burn
Cough - Ritual Abuse
The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults - The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer
High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
Antediluvian - Through the Cervix of Hawaah
Deathevokation - The Chalice of Ages
Runemagick - Darkness Death Doom
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum
Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi
The Chasm - Procession to the Infraworld
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Cormorant - Metazoa
Voivod - Katorz
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:58 pm 

maladie wrote:
I'm trying to think of a few albums off the top of my head that would be classics for the last 15 years. This is by no means a "varoties" list either. I'll try to think of more and I'm trying to include a lot of different stuff.

Nightwish - Once - 2004

This album mostly cemented the place of symphonic metal within metal mainstream, featuring a female vocalist. The whole female vocalist did start in the 90's and you might be familiar with some of the bands that popularized it, but this is by many considered to be the high point of symphonic power metal which is (for many) synonymous with female-fronted bands. Expect bombast and lots of cheese. I personally never liked the album but so many people seem to put it very high up.

Opeth - Blackwater Park - 2001

You kinda stopped right here. The 90's were ushering in more and more death metal, which would also incorporate elements from prog rock. This album goes from clean singing to growls, from very proggy parts to death metal. It features some really incredible melodies and the drumming is absolutely top notch. A lot of bands tried to copy Opeth after this one.

ISIS - Oceanic - 2002

This band is highly influenced from Neurosis which you might have heard of back in the day. This album, ISIS and the few bands playing a similar style at the time, started a very big trend which eventually got called post-metal. Most bands that followed after this were incredibly derivative, but ISIS's Oceanic boasts some very interesting parts. Expect big riffs, a wall of sound, lots of texture and atmosphere.

Prinordial - To The Nameless Dead - 2007

This is black metal, but completely different than what you will remember from the 90's. Primordial also mix in some elements from folk music. They don't have the whole satanic kitsch which was a big big thing in the 90's.

Others that I can think of right now and will write about later:
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree
Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea
Behemoth - Demigod
Nevermore - Godless Endeavour

EDIT: It's interesting of trying to think of what's considered a classic within a 15 year time range, especially since it's around the time I got into metal.

I remember Isis starting out alright. I was a pretty big Neurosis fan, think I had through silver in blood, times of grace and another album I can't remember. I even went and borrowed a second cd player off my father so I could by the Tribes Of Neurot grace album and place alongside grace.

Great to see my fellow country men Primordial on so many lists. They were quite popular at the time but clearly they have become a lot more well known and deservedly so. I don't have any of their releases though so ill start out with this.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:01 pm 

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I've a lot of catching up to do. Think I will start with Opeth

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:34 pm 

Durag wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I've a lot of catching up to do. Think I will start with Opeth

Yes, this will probably kickstart you. You got many great albums to listen to. I would recommend Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance, and Watershed.

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm 

How about some straight up, old-fashioned heavy metal?

A prog metal classic:

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:52 am 

Andromeda? Nothing against them, but are sure they are considered classics at large? Genuinely curious about this one, because I never heard that band.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:48 pm 

Opus wrote:
How about some straight up, old-fashioned heavy metal?

A prog metal classic:

Quite liked both of them, thanks

MDL666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:53 pm 

If you like symphonic black metal, you may like this too:

Anorexia Nervosa- New Obscurantis Order (2001): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6jV7aiWl0

Alghazanth- Wreath of Thevetat (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKgo7e0WVoo

Cruenta Lacrymis- Sweetness and Blasphemy (2015): just one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NkePV5xyo

Aetas Obscura- War Without End, demo (2009): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJLImguHtkA

Clean black metal:

Mons Veneris- Vicit Sathanas Pater... Eum Sequamur (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itne9WKRG7s

Peste- Nós Somos a Peste, EP (2014): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKd2eTA_Fqs

Kuturlat- Where the Crows Reign... (2009): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQ2rXtCdso

Öde- Schimmenwoud (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbFDkJV_Pw

Nocturnal Breeze- For the Wind I Stay (2015): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NfDyiPw5Y

Aenygmist- Creation Born of Trauma (2010): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNRp-bGZhY

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:17 pm 

I think albums by bands that have been around forever like Bolt Thrower, Opeth, Dream Theater, Sigh, and Primordial aren't quite as interesting because these were bands that were around during the 90s, when their respective genres were growing and flourishing. It's cool to see some bands absolutely nail it late in their career, but I'm infinitely more fascinated by bands that didn't have a presence/release before these last fifteen years that wound up releasing something that we, as a collective metal fandom, will be raving about fifteen years from now. It's an interesting time because metal was still coming into its own from several angles all the way up until these last fifteenish years, so the future classics nowadays are either from genres that are well established or new enough to not really be accepted warmly by the old guard (like folk metal and metalcore). With that in mind, I do have a couple that I think fit the criteria of the OP plus my own little restrictions.

Ensiferum's self titled sort of immediately disregards what I said because it's really early in the time period (2001), and it is part of a relatively new genre, but this is one that I feel fits for a hybrid of reasons. One of those is because it's been around long enough to see how time has treated it, and another is because it did so much to establish and legitimize a new sound. Yeah, Finntroll was around by this time and Korpiklaani was right around the corner but even at the time they were looked at like clowns screwing around with a new gimmick. Ensiferum on the other hand integrated the folk sounds with an energetic style (as opposed to a more traditional black metal style with pagan roots like some others were doing) while playing it completely straight instead of with a drunken sideways wink and a nudge. Really, there wasn't anything like Hero in a Dream coming out in 2001. I personally think the next two albums are superior because the self titled spends too much time dicking around with slow, plodding numbers that don't go anywhere and the dichotomy between the fast songs and the slow songs has such a massive gap in quality that it's distracting, but it really put the whole movement forward and the good songs have really stood the test of time. It's widely regarded as a classic and one of the few albums that people lukewarm on folk metal can begrudgingly admit doesn't suck completely. It's probably a little too upbeat for somebody into extreme metal like the OP, but it (along with the followup in 2004) is one of the few albums from the specified time period I can think of that got the "future classic" tag when it was new and managed to stick around long enough to morph into just "classic".

In regards to established genres, I've been of the opinion that Skeletonwitch's Beyond the Permafrost (2007) was this generation's answer to something like Ride the Lightning. It's thrash metal through and through, but there are so many fun little twists and turns that helped it stand out and become something unlike anything released before or since. Every Skeletonwitch album is at least worth listening to, but only BtP managed to cram so many ideas into one succinct timeframe and have such an astoundingly high amount of them hit bullseye. It has a sense of melody that most thrash bands could never quite nail, because it doesn't just come from overt Maiden/Priest style leads or wailing vocals, it just comes from expertly written riffs that convey the melody despite the punishing nature of the music and varied growls and rasps of the vocals. There are out and out barnburning thrashers, insanely technical exercises, contrastingly simple shows of restraint resulting in great hooks, Marduk styled tremolo abusing morbidity, and straight up traditional metal riffing and melody drenched hooks. While Ride the Lightning sort of defied what thrash was supposed to be before thrash was even a thing, Beyond the Permafrost took a style that had been defined pretty solidly for over 20 years and completely broke all the chains within those confines. It's their ability to stay firmly rooted in what came before them while branching out with so many new ideas that grew this album into the monstrous uncutdownable tree that it has become, and as long as I live I will hail it as one of the few definitive modern classics of this current generation.

I'll probably think of more later but these are two that I find completely indisputable.

EDIT: Okay I can't say as much about this because I was never really much of a fan but Wolves in the Throne Room's first two albums (Diadem of 12 Stars and Two Hunters) can apply as well, since they're really the logical conclusion of where a band like Agalloch would have gone had they kept their metal influence high instead of getting more and more neofolky with each release. The entire movement of "cascadian black metal" owes almost everything to those two bands, and I think WITTR gets a little more credit for remaining solidly black metal through their most popular era. Yeah these albums owe a lot to Burzum's pre-prison albums like Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss with their distant, repetitive nature, but there's an ethereal quality about WITTR that nobody else really had going for them quite as strongly or visibly at the time. Again, I'm not really the biggest fan of the style, but the amount of bands these albums influenced, plus the amount of sheer copycats produced, mean songs like this will probably live on forever, regardless of the band's declining favor over the years.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 pm 

I think Portal debut or sophomore Outre could fit this. Creepy death/black metal existed before them, but I think what the style sounds like today owes a lot to Portal, they added many of the elements that would become prevalent. I'd say those were important releases.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:13 pm 

I think maybe Angantyr's 'Haevn' qualifies. Absolutely idiosyncratic and inimitable black metal with a long runtime at 70 minutes or so and a huge, grandiose yet incredibly bleak atmosphere. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it and it's very well-liked by most black metal fans I've come across. It's not as well-known as some albums that have been mentioned, but I think it qualifies nonetheless.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I think albums by bands that have been around forever like Bolt Thrower, Opeth, Dream Theater, Sigh, and Primordial aren't quite as interesting because these were bands that were around during the 90s, when their respective genres were growing and flourishing. It's cool to see some bands absolutely nail it late in their career, but I'm infinitely more fascinated by bands that didn't have a presence/release before these last fifteen years that wound up releasing something that we, as a collective metal fandom, will be raving about fifteen years from now. It's an interesting time because metal was still coming into its own from several angles all the way up until these last fifteenish years, so the future classics nowadays are either from genres that are well established or new enough to not really be accepted warmly by the old guard (like folk metal and metalcore). With that in mind, I do have a couple that I think fit the criteria of the OP plus my own little restrictions.

Ensiferum's self titled sort of immediately disregards what I said because it's really early in the time period (2001), and it is part of a relatively new genre, but this is one that I feel fits for a hybrid of reasons. One of those is because it's been around long enough to see how time has treated it, and another is because it did so much to establish and legitimize a new sound. Yeah, Finntroll was around by this time and Korpiklaani was right around the corner but even at the time they were looked at like clowns screwing around with a new gimmick. Ensiferum on the other hand integrated the folk sounds with an energetic style (as opposed to a more traditional black metal style with pagan roots like some others were doing) while playing it completely straight instead of with a drunken sideways wink and a nudge. Really, there wasn't anything like Hero in a Dream coming out in 2001. I personally think the next two albums are superior because the self titled spends too much time dicking around with slow, plodding numbers that don't go anywhere and the dichotomy between the fast songs and the slow songs has such a massive gap in quality that it's distracting, but it really put the whole movement forward and the good songs have really stood the test of time. It's widely regarded as a classic and one of the few albums that people lukewarm on folk metal can begrudgingly admit doesn't suck completely. It's probably a little too upbeat for somebody into extreme metal like the OP, but it (along with the followup in 2004) is one of the few albums from the specified time period I can think of that got the "future classic" tag when it was new and managed to stick around long enough to morph into just "classic".

In regards to established genres, I've been of the opinion that Skeletonwitch's Beyond the Permafrost (2007) was this generation's answer to something like Ride the Lightning. It's thrash metal through and through, but there are so many fun little twists and turns that helped it stand out and become something unlike anything released before or since. Every Skeletonwitch album is at least worth listening to, but only BtP managed to cram so many ideas into one succinct timeframe and have such an astoundingly high amount of them hit bullseye. It has a sense of melody that most thrash bands could never quite nail, because it doesn't just come from overt Maiden/Priest style leads or wailing vocals, it just comes from expertly written riffs that convey the melody despite the punishing nature of the music and varied growls and rasps of the vocals. There are out and out barnburning thrashers, insanely technical exercises, contrastingly simple shows of restraint resulting in great hooks, Marduk styled tremolo abusing morbidity, and straight up traditional metal riffing and melody drenched hooks. While Ride the Lightning sort of defied what thrash was supposed to be before thrash was even a thing, Beyond the Permafrost took a style that had been defined pretty solidly for over 20 years and completely broke all the chains within those confines. It's their ability to stay firmly rooted in what came before them while branching out with so many new ideas that grew this album into the monstrous uncutdownable tree that it has become, and as long as I live I will hail it as one of the few definitive modern classics of this current generation.

I'll probably think of more later but these are two that I find completely indisputable.

EDIT: Okay I can't say as much about this because I was never really much of a fan but Wolves in the Throne Room's first two albums (Diadem of 12 Stars and Two Hunters) can apply as well, since they're really the logical conclusion of where a band like Agalloch would have gone had they kept their metal influence high instead of getting more and more neofolky with each release. The entire movement of "cascadian black metal" owes almost everything to those two bands, and I think WITTR gets a little more credit for remaining solidly black metal through their most popular era. Yeah these albums owe a lot to Burzum's pre-prison albums like Filosofem and Hvis lyset tar oss with their distant, repetitive nature, but there's an ethereal quality about WITTR that nobody else really had going for them quite as strongly or visibly at the time. Again, I'm not really the biggest fan of the style, but the amount of bands these albums influenced, plus the amount of sheer copycats produced, mean songs like this will probably live on forever, regardless of the band's declining favor over the years.

That was one of the things I noticed, a lot of the recommendations were for bands who had been around since the 90's. I agree it is great to see established acts release some of their best material well into their career but I was hoping to find some new bands as well.

I have been listening to the Cascadian black metal and I do like it, but it owes an awful to those Burzum albums and I agree it seems that a lot of the bands have just done the same thing as WITTR and just ran with it - the big long acoustic intros into the 'traditional' black metal bit - It seems too structured in places. At times it comes across trying too hard to create an atmospheric sound and a 'mood' piece and a lot of it just doesnt work. Ive only heard tracks so I need to purchase those WITTR albums to comment properly but thats my initial views on the movement.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:13 pm 

MDL666 wrote:
If you like symphonic black metal, you may like this too:

Anorexia Nervosa- New Obscurantis Order (2001): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6jV7aiWl0

Alghazanth- Wreath of Thevetat (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKgo7e0WVoo

Cruenta Lacrymis- Sweetness and Blasphemy (2015): just one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NkePV5xyo

Aetas Obscura- War Without End, demo (2009): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJLImguHtkA

Clean black metal:

Mons Veneris- Vicit Sathanas Pater... Eum Sequamur (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itne9WKRG7s

Peste- Nós Somos a Peste, EP (2014): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKd2eTA_Fqs

Kuturlat- Where the Crows Reign... (2009): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQ2rXtCdso

Öde- Schimmenwoud (2008): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbFDkJV_Pw

Nocturnal Breeze- For the Wind I Stay (2015): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NfDyiPw5Y

Aenygmist- Creation Born of Trauma (2010): one song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNRp-bGZhY

Ill check these out, along with Portal and Angantyr, thanks.

Phate666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:54 am 

I would recommend this lists: http://www.furia.com/em/releases-year.html and http://www.furia.com/em/releases-style.html. They are based on the reviews on this site, just differently weighted and only include releases with at least 4 reviews. For a start just check out every release with a >90 rating.

Reply to topic