Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:09 pm 

I love the old songs by The Misfits but I've heard them like a thousand times. I've seen that there's a scene of horror punk bands doing music in the vein of the old-school Misfits, but I don't know it very well. I was wondering if someone here could recommend me bands of this kind, the idea is simple, I want bands that sound as similar as possible to the Glenn Danzig era Misfits.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:11 pm 

Try The Vladimirs. I specifically recommend their album "The Late Hours", really solid horror-punk with a HEAVY misfit influence.

Youtube: show

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:54 pm 

Pretty much a tribute band.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 am 

You will probably like Cancerslug. They are about as close to "Misfits worship" as a band gets without being a tribute act. They're a bit darker though, maybe.

Samhain's probably obvious, but you might like them if you've never heard them. They don't really sound a lot like Misfits, but they did retain some of the band's qualities early on. They gradually transitioned from gothy punk into something more aggressive before eventually evolving into Danzig's solo career.

The song Archangel supposedly started out as a Misfits demo, though I'm not sure how much involvement other members besides Danzig had in its conception. It's certainly not a typical Misfits song, but it's always been my understanding that this early demo version was recorded shortly before Danzig left the band to start Samhain:

I really love the jangly guitar around 2:13. You don't hear that at all in the studio version. It adds a whole different level of emotion to the song.

Outside of "Misfits clones" and related bands, I don't really think there are (m)any bands that incidentally sound similar since Danzig's crooning vocal style was such a big part of their sound.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:01 am 

the_raytownian, Samhain and Danzig made some great stuff but I've alwaysconsider their music pretty different from the one the misfits used to do. What you say about Danzig's vocals it's true, they we're probably what made a great band out of The Misfits, a lot of this misfits-like bands have singers that try to imitate them but no one can do it as well as him, anyway some of them do it pretty well.

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations, those bands sound really well, though I'm findinf really hard to find their music. I also find these ones by performing some google/youtube searchs:

Also this one that, surprisingly, I've found out that is not part of this generation of clones that came after The Misfits became a legend, they were contemporaneous of them:

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:10 am 

Yeah you're not going to be able to find any Horror Story CDs, they only made some demos and a self-released album. I might be able to find you a copy if you're interested though.

Burnt Reynolds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm 

Devil's Whorehouse, a band with marduk members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkc-WDoyBUY

BURlAL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:29 pm 

Burnt Reynolds wrote:
Devil's Whorehouse, a band with marduk members:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkc-WDoyBUY

Neat, I think I remember Marduk covering a Misfits song?

OP, have you listened to Doyles solo albums?

Reply to topic