Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crepuscular
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:41 am
Posts: 381
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:18 pm 
 

KiwiPhoenix777 wrote:
Ive grown to love pipes in my metal and Im looking for more folk metal bands that use pipes. So far Ive only found pipes in Eluveitie, Suidakra and Folkstone, and pan-pipes in Guahaihoque. Im after recommendations for any folk metal bands that use any kind of pipes with their music.

Thanks in advance.


Well, are you looking for just folk metal? Or does it matter what genre is mixed in with it?

Anyways, for something with pipes if you haven't heard them already Heol Telwen are really great. Just superb folk black metal with more influence on the folk.

Tuatha de Danann also uses pipes, including bagpipes. Great music. Trova di Danú is a great album to start with.

Top
 Profile  
KiwiPhoenix777
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:32 pm
Posts: 75
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:35 pm 
 

Crepuscular wrote:
KiwiPhoenix777 wrote:
Ive grown to love pipes in my metal and Im looking for more folk metal bands that use pipes. So far Ive only found pipes in Eluveitie, Suidakra and Folkstone, and pan-pipes in Guahaihoque. Im after recommendations for any folk metal bands that use any kind of pipes with their music.

Thanks in advance.


Well, are you looking for just folk metal? Or does it matter what genre is mixed in with it?

Anyways, for something with pipes if you haven't heard them already Heol Telwen are really great. Just superb folk black metal with more influence on the folk.

Tuatha de Danann also uses pipes, including bagpipes. Great music. Trova di Danú is a great album to start with.


Folk metal is preferable though I dont mind what other genres its mixed in with. Im also enjoying Tuatha de Danaan, thanks for the recommendation. Not so sure about Heol Telwen yet, though.
_________________
OlioTheSmall wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
i cant get over this term "rift" - its just ridiculous. where do people get that from?

Probably the same place that spawned AIDS and Dani Filth.

Top
 Profile  
PengPeng
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 am
Posts: 297
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am 
 

KiwiPhoenix777 wrote:
Ive grown to love pipes in my metal and Im looking for more folk metal bands that use pipes. So far Ive only found pipes in Eluveitie, Suidakra and Folkstone, and pan-pipes in Guahaihoque. Im after recommendations for any folk metal bands that use any kind of pipes with their music.


You should clearly give the Belrussian bands PIAREVARACIEN and KAMAEDZITCA a try! both bands have some clips on youtube to check out. Also ZNICH, NATURAL SPIRIT, TEMNOZOR and KALEVALA could be coming a bit close to your research. But note that some of these bands are swimming in the waters of NS (BM) stuff..

Top
 Profile  
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 am
Posts: 475
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:24 pm 
 

I'm new to folk metal and would like to explore more about the genre.
What i would like is nothing pagan/black, but rather just folk metal with death metal vocals, a hint of female vocals and strong folk ambience. Any recommendation?
_________________
https://twitter.com/thoughtsovrobin
http://www.last.fm/user/InfernoxDeath

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1126
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:17 am 
 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I'm new to folk metal and would like to explore more about the genre.
What i would like is nothing pagan/black, but rather just folk metal with death metal vocals, a hint of female vocals and strong folk ambience. Any recommendation?


Eluveitie and the latest Suidakra CD are the first bands that come to mind. Others that may or may not fit what you're looking for would be Natural Spirit, Butterfly Temple, Smuta, Nevid', Asmegin, probably others that I can't think of now.

Top
 Profile  
GoHabsGoQC
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:17 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:37 pm 
 

Hey! I'm kinda new to folk metal or metal in general in the sense that I've been listening to some bands for some time but I'm only starting to look for other bands. So yeah I hope you guys can help me!

I'm looking for some viking, folk metal bands similar to Turisas, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, etc. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of screaming/growling but it doesn't bother me if it fits well the music. I'd prefer bands softer than Finntroll but not too soft, in the Turisas style if you will. Thanks in advance!

Top
 Profile  
KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:40 am
Posts: 485
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:40 pm 
 

GoHabsGoQC wrote:
Hey! I'm kinda new to folk metal or metal in general in the sense that I've been listening to some bands for some time but I'm only starting to look for other bands. So yeah I hope you guys can help me!

I'm looking for some viking, folk metal bands similar to Turisas, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, etc. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of screaming/growling but it doesn't bother me if it fits well the music. I'd prefer bands softer than Finntroll but not too soft, in the Turisas style if you will. Thanks in advance!


If you havent tried Tyr you really should give them a listen. They dont use growls and at times sound quite upbeat. Spme of their lyrics are in Faroese.
Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1geB7U5VI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2bgwcv43o

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 pm 
 

^Seconding Tyr here; they are fantastic. You may like Heidevolk and Manegarm too :)

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I'm new to folk metal and would like to explore more about the genre.
What i would like is nothing pagan/black, but rather just folk metal with death metal vocals, a hint of female vocals and strong folk ambience. Any recommendation?


You could try Battlelore from Finland- lotsa death growls, tolkien-inspired lyrics and female vocals. Not that folky, but still pretty solid. Also- Kivimetsän Druidi may be an option, bit blacker and symphonic but also, pretty solid.
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
DemonFeces
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 3
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:00 pm 
 

check out my review for Leshak

Top
 Profile  
InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:40 am
Posts: 475
Location: Singapore
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm 
 

I've heard Battelore, Tyr and Manegarm, which i enjoyed. Just looking for more 'Beauty and the Beast" vocals in Folk metal.
_________________
https://twitter.com/thoughtsovrobin
http://www.last.fm/user/InfernoxDeath

Top
 Profile  
KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:40 am
Posts: 485
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:17 pm 
 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I've heard Battelore, Tyr and Manegarm, which i enjoyed. Just looking for more 'Beauty and the Beast" vocals in Folk metal.


Try Fferyllt, theyre a Russian Folk/Celtic metal band that uses growled male vocals as well as clean female vocals.
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7HV5fwhkw

Top
 Profile  
Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm
Posts: 122
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:58 pm 
 

I'm looking for some TYR stuff, especially shit like Wild Rover.

Edit: I just read the post above me. How about other drinking songs?

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:15 pm 
 

Wiggl3s wrote:
I'm looking for some TYR stuff, especially shit like Wild Rover.

Edit: I just read the post above me. How about other drinking songs?


Korpiklaani is the obvious choice. Kromlek, with the huumpa sound, might work.
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
The_Boss
Set Abominae

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:45 am
Posts: 3186
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 am 
 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
I've heard Battelore, Tyr and Manegarm, which i enjoyed. Just looking for more 'Beauty and the Beast" vocals in Folk metal.


Kivimetsan Druidi is right up your alley. Good stuff.
_________________
Tantalus wrote:
I am a huge fan of The Boss - like, almost to obsession.

Top
 Profile  
Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 am
Posts: 229
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:24 am 
 

Any Viking Metal bands that have vocal styles similar to Amon Amarth?

Top
 Profile  
In_Hoc_Signo_Vinces
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:12 pm
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:10 am 
 

Anyone know any Folk Metal bands that use only clean vocals? Folk/Power Metal is fine too. Here's a bunch that I know:

Falconer
Wuthering Heights
Otyg
Storm
Tverd
Mago de Oz
Elvenking
Folk Stone (kind of gruff, but clean enough)
Heidevolk
Tyr
Skyclad

I just want something without the incessant and (IMO) out-of-place black metal screeching, which is kind of a cliche of this genre.

Top
 Profile  
balkonas
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:55 am
Posts: 456
Location: Lithuania
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:46 am 
 

In_Hoc_Signo_Vinces wrote:
Anyone know any Folk Metal bands that use only clean vocals? Folk/Power Metal is fine too. Here's a bunch that I know:

Falconer
Wuthering Heights
Otyg
Storm
Tverd
Mago de Oz
Elvenking
Folk Stone (kind of gruff, but clean enough)
Heidevolk
Tyr
Skyclad

I just want something without the incessant and (IMO) out-of-place black metal screeching, which is kind of a cliche of this genre.

Try Alestorm.Not very folky but might do the trick :)
_________________
Buried_Death wrote:
Attila walks into class room "Morning class you'll never guess what I've been up to over the weekend" Throws pigs head down on the table!

Top
 Profile  
Summerwind_Heathen
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:24 pm
Posts: 93
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:58 am 
 

For clean vocal folk/power metal:
Spellblast
Leprechaun (Damnagoras', from Elvenking, side project)
Crom
Conorach
Orden Ogan
Tengwar
Skiltron
Kalevala (Rus)
Odroerir

Top
 Profile  
Rottenrectum
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm
Posts: 2245
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 am 
 

Fortifiv3 wrote:
Any Viking Metal bands that have vocal styles similar to Amon Amarth?

More folk metal but Wulfgar and Svartsot have deep powerful vocals.
_________________
DEATH JÄVLA METAL

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 pm 
 

Curiou- any bands similar to Kampfar; ie. folky soundinging black metal, without the folk instruments...?
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
The_Boss
Set Abominae

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:45 am
Posts: 3186
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:23 pm 
 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Fortifiv3 wrote:
Any Viking Metal bands that have vocal styles similar to Amon Amarth?

More folk metal but Wulfgar and Svartsot have deep powerful vocals.


Seconding both of these bands and definitely adding Runic to this recommendation. Thyrfing might work as well.
_________________
Tantalus wrote:
I am a huge fan of The Boss - like, almost to obsession.

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1126
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 pm 
 

In_Hoc_Signo_Vinces wrote:
Anyone know any Folk Metal bands that use only clean vocals? Folk/Power Metal is fine too. Here's a bunch that I know:

Falconer
Wuthering Heights
Otyg
Storm
Tverd
Mago de Oz
Elvenking
Folk Stone (kind of gruff, but clean enough)
Heidevolk
Tyr
Skyclad


Also there's:

Ros'
Tin' Sontsya
Glittertind (except for briefly on the EP)
Lumsk
Metsatoll
Tumulus [Russia] (except for a few moments)
Nomans Land (on the first album)

There's also Dalriada/Echo of Dalriada, which has some harsh vocals but mostly clean female and male vocals, and the band is awesome.

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:36 am 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Curiou- any bands similar to Kampfar; ie. folky soundinging black metal, without the folk instruments...?


Anyone? PLEASE???? ;)
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2796
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:56 am 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
Curiou- any bands similar to Kampfar; ie. folky soundinging black metal, without the folk instruments...?


Anyone? PLEASE???? ;)


You are prob familiar with them already Acidgobblin but Taake for some reason always remind me of Kampfar, if you have to listened to them they are well worth checking out.

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 am 
 

^Yeah, Ive got the Taake albums- I don't see the Kampfar too much n them, but you've helped me decide what feel lke playing tonght :):) :np:
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
Loka
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:44 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 am 
 

I only want scandinavian Black metalviking music
(from Sveriger norge island and Danmark)
No fake bands from ASIA that haven't grown up here.

And NOT

Isengård
Storm
Otyg
Bathory

I like songs about the dark Scandinavian woods,
because its familiar.
Any recommendations?
_________________
I'm a very nice person. Please don't insult me.
Best song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNMRnVPaMY

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2234
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:31 pm 
 

^Kampfar. Are they nordic enpough for you? ;)
_________________
"But I found the catchuness in those fast paced high pitched screams"-FOrbIDen,

Top
 Profile  
PengPeng
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 am
Posts: 297
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm 
 

Loka wrote:
I only want scandinavian Black metalviking music
(from Sveriger norge island and Danmark)
No fake bands from ASIA that haven't grown up here.

And NOT

Isengård
Storm
Otyg
Bathory

I like songs about the dark Scandinavian woods,
because its familiar.
Any recommendations?


must haves:
http://www.myspace.com/manegarm
http://www.myspace.com/moonsorrow

edit: sorry - Moonsorrow are from FIN...

But you must really listen to MANEGARM!

and of course the first In The Woods... album!

Top
 Profile  
Loka
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:44 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:04 am 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
^Kampfar. Are they nordic enpough for you? ;)


Great.
_________________
I'm a very nice person. Please don't insult me.
Best song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNMRnVPaMY

Top
 Profile  
PengPeng
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:55 am
Posts: 297
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 am 
 

Hmm, I thought I'd seen a thread about "sounds like early ULVER" yesterday here at Recommendation Central. I'm really sure... anyway, now the thread is gone (or I'm too blind to find it) and wanted to

first:

wanted to list what I think may suit to that search. Though the following band/albums don't exactly sound like early Ulver, they at least bare some (or sometimes many and more) similarities, atmosphere etc. Maybe you (the mysterious thread starter I can't find anymore) will like some of these:

BORKANAGR s/t debut album
maybe this is a bit more raw and blackish but there is a definite dark and "woodly" atmosphere, oh.. and of course features Ulver's Garm ;) (as does the 2nd album, too)

LÖNNDOM
very gloomy, eerie and strange music which could be labelled as "Forest Folk/Metal/Rock", definitely has a vibe which reminds me of Ulver

FORLORN Forlorn EP and The Crystal Palace
These two releases are absolutely great! Though they use a damn lot more synth than Ulver they have an epic, melancholic etc. feel to it and a great mix of more harsh and cclean vocals reminding of Garm and his horde...

IN THE WOODS... "HEart of the Ages" album
as the name implies - this is really "woods" music and could be named a crossbreed of early Ulver and early Burzum. The band later developed a more prog influenced sound but their debut is clearly fitting to your research!

AUSTERE and SVARTI LOGHIN
yes, yes, I know... These bands could be put to Depressive Black Metal but both have a very nature based atmosphere, beautiful melodies, acoustics adn AUSTERE (on the "To lay like old ashes" album) also use choirs, chantings with clean vocals etc. Great stuff!

KERBENOK "o" Album
a really great pagan/black album which lots of acoustic interludes

STRIDSMENN debut album
though it unfortunately lacks the great cleaner vocals/chantings of Bergtatt their debut album is clearly influenced by Ulver (and other 90s Norw. BM bands)

and you could also try WOODS OF YPRES, early AGALLOCH and maybe WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM...

and second:
say that I, too, am always looking for albums similar to ULVER's "Bergtatt" album. So if anyone has recommendations in that vein, please tell me :)

Top
 Profile  
Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 am
Posts: 523
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 am 
 

PengPeng wrote:
and second:
say that I, too, am always looking for albums similar to ULVER's "Bergtatt" album. So if anyone has recommendations in that vein, please tell me :)

As I said last night in that thread (which, yeah, seems to have disappeared for some reason), Hinsidig might be what you're looking for. They say themselves that they sound like early Ulver. I'd agree, they sound like early-era Ulver and occasionally like Nyktalgia (largely thanks to the fact that Winterheart plays on the album - and rules as usual) or Wolves in the Throne Room . Fairly raw but full sound; both harsh and clean chanting vocals as well as clean guitar every now and then; and just an awesome, nature-y atmosphere. They've only released the one demo, Bak og Forbi, but it really is a fantastic release. Hugely promising band.

And damn it, I really do need to check out Heart of the Ages. Been meaning to for a while and never got around to it somehow.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2796
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:38 am 
 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
PengPeng wrote:
and second:
say that I, too, am always looking for albums similar to ULVER's "Bergtatt" album. So if anyone has recommendations in that vein, please tell me :)

As I said last night in that thread (which, yeah, seems to have disappeared for some reason), Hinsidig might be what you're looking for. They say themselves that they sound like early Ulver. I'd agree, they sound like early-era Ulver and occasionally like Nyktalgia (largely thanks to the fact that Winterheart plays on the album - and rules as usual) or Wolves in the Throne Room . Fairly raw but full sound; both harsh and clean chanting vocals as well as clean guitar every now and then; and just an awesome, nature-y atmosphere. They've only released the one demo, Bak og Forbi, but it really is a fantastic release. Hugely promising band.

And damn it, I really do need to check out Heart of the Ages. Been meaning to for a while and never got around to it somehow.


Second Hinsidig they are a good band remind me more of Nyktalgia though. Def check out Heart of the Ages, great release, worth it for the first track alone, a great black metal epic. As for other Ulver rec peng-peng did you check out Sort Vokter, great album in the ulver vein, sadly broke up. A few other bands meant to be similar, though I have not had a chance to check them out yet are Sykdom, Massemord and Blotsrit (Ocularis Infernus lp), unfort cant comment on these three yet but might be worth a look, Sykdom reviews sound pretty good.

Top
 Profile  
Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:02 pm
Posts: 166
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:04 am 
 

In_Hoc_Signo_Vinces wrote:
Anyone know any Folk Metal bands that use only clean vocals? Folk/Power Metal is fine too. Here's a bunch that I know:

Falconer
Wuthering Heights
Otyg
Storm
Tverd
Mago de Oz
Elvenking
Folk Stone (kind of gruff, but clean enough)
Heidevolk
Tyr
Skyclad

I just want something without the incessant and (IMO) out-of-place black metal screeching, which is kind of a cliche of this genre.



Later Cruachan material. The first album is very Black Metal influenced and the '97 promo has a great mix of harsh vocals and female vocals (by a girl called Aisling Hanrahan) but from "The Middle Kingdom" onwards most vocal duties were done by Karen Gilligan who has a fantastic voice. "The Middle Kingdom" and the follow up "Folk Lore" are well worth getting but the 2 albums after that are a bit generic. Karen has left now so the next album should be going back to the older harsher style.



For general reccomendations i'd say either "Reawakening Pride Once Lost" or "Honour Amongst Chaos" by Waylander and anything by Kroda for something a bit more Black Metal influenced.
_________________
Check out my fanzine- http://www.myspace.com/blazeinthenornsky

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

Top
 Profile  
Loka
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:44 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:14 pm 
 

Lönndom was better than I expected, as i really hate LIK and Armaggedda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqDTLYRrRSM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sulk4yuLe0M
_________________
I'm a very nice person. Please don't insult me.
Best song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNMRnVPaMY

Top
 Profile  
CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 am
Posts: 308
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 pm 
 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Wiggl3s wrote:
I'm looking for some TYR stuff, especially shit like Wild Rover.

Edit: I just read the post above me. How about other drinking songs?


Korpiklaani is the obvious choice. Kromlek, with the huumpa sound, might work.


Trollfest and Finntroll might work too.

Top
 Profile  
Wiggl3s
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 pm
Posts: 122
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:43 pm 
 

Has anyone come up with a list of essential viking metal albums?

Top
 Profile  
Krav
Metalhead

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 7:24 am
Posts: 400
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 am 
 

Wiggl3s wrote:
Has anyone come up with a list of essential viking metal albums?


http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=45222

The survey was designed so that the bands had to be listed as folk metal to get on the list, so its missing a few good bands, but there are still a lot of awesome albums on there.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2796
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:10 am 
 

Just a heads up as I see people looking requests for bands that use bagpipes in their music here now and again, I came across a power/folk band with great use of bagpipes called Skiltron, impressive stuff if you dig the bagpipes!

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=27714

Top
 Profile  
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:00 am
Posts: 866
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 am 
 

Hey.. I'm looking for acoustic, lengthy, instrumental folk in the vein of Agalloch's acoustic stuff. Any recs?

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1126
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 am 
 

Krav wrote:
Wiggl3s wrote:
Has anyone come up with a list of essential viking metal albums?


http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=45222

The survey was designed so that the bands had to be listed as folk metal to get on the list, so its missing a few good bands, but there are still a lot of awesome albums on there.


Yes, it's certainly not a perfect or exhaustive list, but it's a lot closer than most lists I see, which tend to favor bands from Scandinavia but ignore anything else.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 37  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MrMcThrasher II, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group