Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 pm 

Is there any band out there that is simmilar to Korpiklaani? I've been searching, and I can't find any. Can someone help me?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:18 am 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
Vansinnesvisor was awesome, and as a swede I hate most harsh vocals in swedish. It usually sounds pretentious and bad, and the lyrics themselves tend to suck. Månegarm has done some REALLY atrocious stuff in particular if you can understand what they're singing (cheesy as hell).

I tend to avoid a lot of English-language metal for the same reasons. To me the Swedish sounds cool (especially when Thomas adopted that really harsh, phlegmy voice on the last few Thyrfing albums).

I suppose it's a fact of life that most metal lyrics are going to suck, but I like the sound of other languages even if I don't understand them.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:45 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
Is there any band out there that is simmilar to Korpiklaani? I've been searching, and I can't find any. Can someone help me?

Well, Finntroll, if you don't mind the harsher vocals. Cruachan's fairly similar (to Korpiklaani), though a bit more conventional.

Early Moonsorrow: Suden Uni and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta (the first one in particular.) They also have harsh vocals.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

netniwk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:12 pm 

Looking for stuff similar to Isengard
Stuff without too many flutes and stuff >>

Crushader
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:34 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:
Early Moonsorrow: Suden Uni and Voimasta Ja Kunniasta (the first one in particular.) They also have harsh vocals.

I have to disagree with this: even Moonsorrow's early music is actually quite different from that of Korpiklaani's. Moonsorrow is epic in terms of grandiosity, majesty, length and darker atmosphere. Korpiklaani is upbeat folk metal with catchy and energetic songs in which folk instruments have, in a way, far more visible role than in Moonsorrow's music. Still, try Moonsorrow as well, if you already haven't. ;)

My own suggestion would be Svartsot. Much more similar to Korpiklaani than Moonsorrow, though with harsh vocals too.

Last edited by Crushader on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:16 am 

CountBlagorath wrote:

This isn't terribly similar, but you might want to check out Finsterforst. They're only similar to Korpiklaani in that the music is upbeat and there's a ton of accordion, but Finsterforst is more epic and with harsh vocals, like a mix of Korpiklaani and early Moonsorrow (or Equilibrium).

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:58 pm 

Thanks to everyone!

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:33 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:

My vote goes to the German band XIV Dark Centuries. Its occasionally harsh and black but also has an upbeat drunkenness to it like Korpiklaani.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 pm 

winterheathen wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:

My vote goes to the German band XIV Dark Centuries. Its occasionally harsh and black but also has an upbeat drunkenness to it like Korpiklaani.

Allright. Cool. Thanks!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:38 pm 

So I really like Moonsorrow's song "Tulimyrsky", and I read a review that compared it to "eld-era enslaved." Is this true? If so, what are some other releases that have that sound?

Thanks again

rms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:44 pm 

their last cd, V:Havietty

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 am 

I forgot to mention I have their entire discography. Thanks for responding, however.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:17 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
So I really like Moonsorrow's song "Tulimyrsky", and I read a review that compared it to "eld-era enslaved." Is this true? If so, what are some other releases that have that sound?

I never thought about it before, but I guess I can hear the Hordanes Land/Vikingligr Veldi/Frost/Eld-style Enslaved in Tulimursky.

lastdodobird
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:49 pm 

I'm listening to Alestorm's Captain Morgan's Revenge and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Black Metal is Viking Metal as Power Metal is to Pirate Metal? Make any sense? Lol, sorry if didn't. 'Twas a brain fart.

But that's what comes to mind when I listen to this... It's like a cheesier version of Viking Metal... and normally I don't like cheesy, but this is actually fun to listen to.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 pm 

lastdodobird wrote:
I'm listening to Alestorm's Captain Morgan's Revenge and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Black Metal is Viking Metal as Power Metal is to Pirate Metal? Make any sense? Lol, sorry if didn't. 'Twas a brain fart.

But that's what comes to mind when I listen to this... It's like a cheesier version of Viking Metal... and normally I don't like cheesy, but this is actually fun to listen to.

Alestorm is one of the few bands i've heard that can actually rival Korpiklaani when it comes to making good metal drinking tunes. And yes, while they are cheesy as hell, and their lyrics are just the epitome of said cheese, I get the feeling that's kind of the point.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:01 pm 

lastdodobird wrote:

Black metal to viking metal could be like speed metal to power metal. Loses certain characteristic elements in exhange of adding cheese and fun factor, so to say.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 am 

Alestorm is a poor man's Turisas. Very poor.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 am 

winterheathen wrote:

True. I used to refer to Turisas as a poor man's Moonsorrow, until I heard "The Varangian Way."

I can't imagine that pirate themes are particularly inspiring in the long run, though (keep in mind that I've never heard Running Wild). Alestorm seems like a one-off to me, but I could be proven wrong.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:17 pm 

Alestorm and Turisas don't even have very similar styles. Just the bombastic epic feel with similar riffing style. Other than that I can't find much of a similarity, I love both bands but I don't think I could choose a better band.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:41 pm 

Anyone know something in the vein of bands like Ensiferum, Wolfchant, Northland, Wintersun and such? Melodic riffs, clear folk influence and a little epic touch?

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:40 pm 

wolvie90 wrote:
Anyone know something in the vein of bands like Ensiferum, Wolfchant, Northland, Wintersun and such? Melodic riffs, clear folk influence and a little epic touch?

Falchion, if you don't mind that it sounds so much like old Ensiferum. They get a bad rap around here, but I like them.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 am 

wolvie90 wrote:

The sentence "melodic riffs, clear folk influence, epic touch" makes me think immediately of Eluveitie though thats probably not what you're wanting at all. Månegarm as well.

By the way, I'm not familiar with Northland, so thanks for that rec.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 am 

samekh wrote:
winterheathen wrote:

True. I used to refer to Turisas as a poor man's Moonsorrow, until I heard "The Varangian Way."

I can't imagine that pirate themes are particularly inspiring in the long run, though (keep in mind that I've never heard Running Wild). Alestorm seems like a one-off to me, but I could be proven wrong.

I hope Alestorm is a one off, I'd like them to go away. And yes, The Varangian Way is terrific.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:18 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I've heard them all, but I haven
't checked out Falchion and Månegarm enough.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:41 pm 

You should listen to Månegarm's latest first. Vargstenen. Easily their best, and one of my fav viking/folk albums ever.

rms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:04 pm 

yes it's their best folk/viking album. Dodsfard and Vredens Tid are also very good if you find those albums cheaply/easily. The other 2 albums(3rd being a compilation of 2 demos) are all pagan black metal.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 am 

Listening to Northland right now, and I'm liking it a lot. To wolvie90 who wanted to know some similar bands, I'd go with Thronar, Wulfgar, and Runic.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:15 am 

wolvie90 wrote:

Check out Ásmegin. I would describe them as something like epic brutal viking/folk metal heh, also check out Lemuria, Skyforger and Fjoergyn for epic sounding folk metal.

wolvie90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 pm 

*making a list*

Thanks for the tips.

Mark777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:30 pm 

I got two questions.

Any bluegrass metal bands?

And, what are some ultra-epic folk metal bands on level with greats as Ensiferum, but better. Epic as possible, and extremely awesome.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:19 pm 

Mark777 wrote:
And, what are some ultra-epic folk metal bands on level with greats as Ensiferum, but better. Epic as possible, and extremely awesome.

Well, if you don't know them already, I would say Falkenbach is all you need. Get 'Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri' first, as that's the most 'epic' of his releases, but really, I think all of the albums are great.

You might also want to check out Fenriz and Satyr's Viking/folk metal band Storm. Their album 'Nordavind' is fantastic and features some great folk-driven metal.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:24 am 

Mark777 wrote:
I got two questions.

Any bluegrass metal bands?

Uh, Finntroll's song "En Maktig Har", as well as Wuthering Height's "Longing for the Woods Part 1" have a banjo in them.

...but that's all I can think of.

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:45 am 

Ok, what I'm looking for is drunkness and ''FESTIVENESS'' (don't know if that word even exists). Something in the particular vein of fintroll, kromlek, trollfest, korpiklaani, caverns of arnosh. Notice that they all use some beat very similar to Humppa or something very similar to Polka. Not to be confused by the festiveness of Eluveitie or Cruachan.

Well hope you can help me with that, believe I've done some research but is quite hard to find it.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:21 pm 

wolvie90 wrote:
*making a list*

Thanks for the tips.

Add Fferyllt to the list ;) Although they haven't released anything yet, they are very promising, some samples can be found at their myspace and a few songs can be downloaded from their site.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:51 pm 

Jarno wrote:
Ok, what I'm looking for is drunkness and ''FESTIVENESS'' (don't know if that word even exists).

All I can think of that isn't on your list is Svartby.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:00 pm 

samekh wrote:
secretninja wrote:
Can I have something that will help me get into the folk/viking metal genre? I've been trying to listen to it for a while, but I want something that can get me into the genre easier.

If you're looking for something accessible, I would recommend Turisas "The Varangian Way." I'm not a fan of their other album, but this one is quite solid and I recommend it to friends of mine who are curious about the genre.

Thanks to your rec, I gave Turisas another chance. I had given "Battle Metal" a few listens and I just couldn't get into it. I finally got around to checking out "The Varangian Way" and I really enjoy it.

I have a chance to see them in a month or two, but I have a few questions for everyone:

1. Is Turisas good live?

2. How long can I expect them to play if they aren't headlining?

3. They are touring with Dragonforce. In that case I will just pay the $30 for Turisas and then leave when Dragonforce comes on. Is Turisas worth the $30 if they aren't the headliner?

(I would probably by some merch as well)

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:20 pm 

Fuck yeah, you are so luck of seeing Turisas live, they are totally worth it, I don't know how long their appearance will last, but they have accordion battles and stuff, besides they interact a lot with the crowd.

You should stay for Dragonforce as well, just for the heck of it.

Chromillusion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:07 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
samekh wrote:
secretninja wrote:
Can I have something that will help me get into the folk/viking metal genre? I've been trying to listen to it for a while, but I want something that can get me into the genre easier.

If you're looking for something accessible, I would recommend Turisas "The Varangian Way." I'm not a fan of their other album, but this one is quite solid and I recommend it to friends of mine who are curious about the genre.

Thanks to your rec, I gave Turisas another chance. I had given "Battle Metal" a few listens and I just couldn't get into it. I finally got around to checking out "The Varangian Way" and I really enjoy it.

I have a chance to see them in a month or two, but I have a few questions for everyone:

1. Is Turisas good live?

3. They are touring with Dragonforce. In that case I will just pay the $30 for Turisas and then leave when Dragonforce comes on. Is Turisas worth the $30 if they aren't the headliner?

I would say they will most likely play for about 45 minutes. I saw them at Paganfest and they were a lot of fun, they put on a great show.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:15 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
samekh wrote:
secretninja wrote:

1. Is Turisas good live?

Turisas are incredible live. I've been thinking about doing to same thing, going to see them and leaving before Dragon Farce. I would hope they'd get 45 minutes because there aren't any other openers as far as I know. I'd be really disappointed if they only got 30. The singer (Warlord somethingorother) is one of the most charismatic front men in metal today. They were awesome at Paganfest, shame they had to come back to the US with such a terrible band. And buy a shirt or something, I unfortunately didn't do that when I saw them before.

Jarno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:58 am 

Do you know any band similar to Turisas besides Cadacross? I'm looking for something with fanfares, trumpets, if possible with accordions( not necessary). Please with a fast-paced or mid-paced tempo.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next