Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 am 

I'm looking for Melodic Folk Metal, Something close to Eluveitie

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:43 pm 

BrutalDoom wrote:

I've never heard any band that sounds close to Eluveitie. The closest I can think of (due to the presence of death metal) is Minhyriath or perhaps Suidakra.

However, if you're looking for simply melodic folk metal (most folk metal would be considered "melodic") with some traditional instruments, you have many choices. Heidevolk is a very good one. Pagan Reign's last album, "Tverd," is another good choice. If you don't mind female vocals, check out Arkona from Russia. And obviously there's Cruachan. Also Metsatoll, Skyforger, Heorot, Hordak, Otyg, etc.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 pm 

BrutalDoom wrote:

Falkenbach's album "Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty" might be right up your alley.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 pm 

BrutalDoom wrote:

Falchion should be right up you're alley, they to are melodic death/folk metal (I don't remember which folk music they combine with, but I think you'll like it).

If you're looking for melodic folk metal, well, Pagan Reign should be right up you're alley, as well as Dub Buk and Teurgia, both melodic black metal bands, sorry I couldn't be of any more assistance, but I think you'll like those bands.

zhitak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:44 am 

"The Jester's Dance" song by In Flames. what are more songs like this?

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:54 am 

zhitak wrote:
"The Jester's Dance" song by In Flames. what are more songs like this?

Try going to the Doom metal thread.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 am 

I've heard a lot of positive comments about it, but is Heidevolk's Walhalla Wacht worth getting? I've been considering it for a few weeks now. How about Eluvetie's Slania? Same situation, looking for a bit of input.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:59 am 

Bezerko wrote:
How about Eluvetie's Slania? Same situation, looking for a bit of input.

Imagine New In Flames with Folk Elements :puke:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 am 

schwuppe wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

:ugh: Really? I heard it was more Dark Tranquility with folk elements? The songs on their gayspace wasn't a good indicator, somewhere between your description and the DT description.

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am 

Bezerko wrote:
:ugh: Really? I heard it was more Dark Tranquility with folk elements? The songs on their gayspace wasn't a good indicator, somewhere between your description and the DT description.

the song on their myspace is one of the softest on the new album ... but i'm alone here with my opinion that slania sucks so better try it yourself :/

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 am 

Bezerko wrote:
I've heard a lot of positive comments about it, but is Heidevolk's Walhalla Wacht worth getting? I've been considering it for a few weeks now. How about Eluvetie's Slania? Same situation, looking for a bit of input.

Slania is good, and the myspace song isn't a good indicator.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Slania is a great album. You can't really go by their singles on Myspace, because they tend to pick more "accessible" (and boring) songs as singles. The album is especially good when listened to as a whole, with the folk interludes and such.

The new Heidevolk is very good as well. You'll get a good idea of their sound by their Myspace samples. Clean vocals and nice harmonies, good folk parts, solid metal, etc.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:03 pm 

schwuppe wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

This is 100% inaccurate, new In Flames is metalcore whiny garbage, Eluveitie is more like standard melodeath with the PERFECT folk instrument combinations. Slania is a masterpiece as you can probably tell by my review. I strongly recommend it.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:48 pm 

The_Boss wrote:
schwuppe wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

This is 100% inaccurate, new In Flames is metalcore whiny garbage, Eluveitie is more like standard melodeath with the PERFECT folk instrument combinations. Slania is a masterpiece as you can probably tell by my review. I strongly recommend it.

Seconded, Slania is perfect. It just lacks the atmosphere of their last album. Which I preferred.

Heidevolk's new album is really worth getting. Don't download it though, it has that whole "You're listening to the new Heidevolk album "Walhalla Wacht".

I was so pissed off ;(

Anyways, both great albums.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:00 pm 

By the way, if there are any Myrkgrav fans here, a medley of some of the new material for the upcoming album has been placed on his MySpace. It's lacking vocals and the drums are programmed, but from what's there it sounds great.

Also, if you don't know who I'm talking about, you should probably go and check them out right now.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 pm 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
By the way, if there are any Myrkgrav fans here, a medley of some of the new material for the upcoming album has been placed on his MySpace. It's lacking vocals and the drums are programmed, but from what's there it sounds great.

Also, if you don't know who I'm talking about, you should probably go and check them out right now.

Just did, and seriously, if this is what the new album holds, then I'm getting it :)

wartooth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 am 

What bands dont throw in fruity folk instruments. Similar sounding to Ensiferum.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:38 am 

Crepuscular wrote:

Just did, and seriously, if this is what the new album holds, then I'm getting it :)

Have you heard his debut?

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 am 

Crepuscular wrote:

Have you heard his debut?

No, not yet.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
No, not yet.

Strongly, strongly recommend that you get it. It might take you a few listens to really get into it, which is what happened with me, but once you know the album it's really quite something. I've been particularly loving the 7th song, Tre Skygger Tel Kølabrenner'n Kom, recently. Great track, great album.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:45 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
No, not yet.

Strongly, strongly recommend that you get it. It might take you a few listens to really get into it, which is what happened with me, but once you know the album it's really quite something. I've been particularly loving the 7th song, Tre Skygger Tel Kølabrenner'n Kom, recently. Great track, great album.

Downloading as we speak, I might order it if I can find it.

Ok, last song finished. :D

Can anyone recommend me good Pagan Metal? Such as Kampfar, Pagan Reign?

Also, what are everyones few on Asmegin? It's probably one of the only album I dont have that everyone says is great. I want to know something other then what the reviews say becuase they are just a little bland.

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:15 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some folk metal bands that use folk melodies but no folk instruments?

Incinerated_Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:20 pm 

Ensiferum, Falchion, Equilibrium, Wintersun(if you ask some people), etc.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:

Slavland and XIV Dark Centuries should wet your appetite.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:40 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:

Try Nydvind, they're clearly fans of Kampfar.

Quote:
Also, what are everyones few on Asmegin? It's probably one of the only album I dont have that everyone says is great. I want to know something other then what the reviews say becuase they are just a little bland.

I don't know what they exactly say in the reviews, but Ásmegin merge so many elements together that it partly sounds underdeveloped, meaning that they could have made three full-lengths out of it if they expanded their ideas a bit and didn't compress it on one CD. Some of the songs change their pace, rhythm and mood so frequently that it almost reminds of tech death occasionally.

It's still extremely awesome, because it's goddamn catchy, especially the violin parts. There even appears a piano and all musicians are very talented, able to pull off various metal 'styles'. A death doom part for variety's sake? It's there.

You better check out Ásmegin or you're truly missing out.

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 pm 

Incinerated_Glory wrote:

Ensiferum uses folk instruments quite a lot, but not to a great extent. I love how (especially on their self-titled) they use guitars for the folk melodies.

Incinerated_Glory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:34 pm 

Silencia wrote:
Incinerated_Glory wrote:

Ensiferum uses folk instruments quite a lot, but not to a great extent.
:ugh:

He asked for bands that use trad instruments for folk melodies and you agreed with my while disagree....

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:54 pm 

PAANKSTER wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
The best Borknagar album is by far The Olden Domain, and every fan of metal should already have it.

Every female fan of metal should, yes.

I take offense to that. Borknagar fucking sucks.

Silencia wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some folk metal bands that use folk melodies but no folk instruments?

Bathory, Doomsword, Einherjer, Falkenbach, Falchion, Talamyus.

CosmicFury
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Silencia wrote:

Falkenbach

:scratch:

edit: In response to Silencia... Mithotyn is Folk Metal without Folk instruments. Wolfchant is another great Pagan BM band as well. Very 'triumphant'.

I have also never seen Black Messiah mentioned here on the forums, they are somewhat folky and deserve recognition. Very epic Black Metal.

Last edited by CosmicFury on Mon May 26, 2008 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:09 am 

Silencia wrote:

Windir deals with the melodies (which are some of the best melodies I've heard) solely with the lead guitar. I highly recommend Arntor. Although it grew quite old due to the overt display of (quite flowery, but still good) melody, it really gave me chills when I was into it.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:13 am 

Falkenbach's page doesn't have any reference to using folk instruments, I've only heard one Falkenbach album so I can't make a quick reference but I didn't think so either.

CosmicFury
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:01 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Falkenbach's page doesn't have any reference to using folk instruments, I've only heard one Falkenbach album so I can't make a quick reference but I didn't think so either.

Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty (the only album I own of theirs) has many folk flute melodies in it, although it may be an emulation of keyboards, but that's just splitting hairs. haha It definitely sounds like a flute to me.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:31 am 

CosmicFury wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty (the only album I own of theirs) has many folk flute melodies in it, although it may be an emulation of keyboards, but that's just splitting hairs. haha It definitely sounds like a flute to me.

Yeah, Falkenbach isn't all about the folk sometimes, but on Nefna Tysvar Ty there is some flute.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:48 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
CosmicFury wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Yeah, Falkenbach isn't all about the folk sometimes, but on Nefna Tysvar Ty there is some flute.

Falkenbach uses a number of different flutes and wind instruments. There's flutes, pan flutes, shakuhachis etc. Most of these are on Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty, but they are also used on Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri and En Their Medh RIki Fara. But Morrigon is right, Falkenbach don't really include a lot of 'traditional' folk instuments. The music more just has quite a lot of keys and synthesisers or very melodious guitars.

darkito
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:57 pm 

Hi guys! I am looking for dark folk/viking metal with only clean vocals (emphasis on this please), preferabily with a very epic and gloomy atmosphere and a lot of instruments (something like "Borknagar - Origin")

And sorry for my crappy english.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 pm 

CosmicFury wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Vratyas himself said that he does indeed use a variety of flutes.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:37 pm 

This just goes in this thread, I just need to say anyone looking for 'battle metal' similar to Turisas needs to check out Thronar, very much akin to Turisas.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:17 pm 

Yeah, I only have one album by Falkenbach, there wasn't much folky instrumentation on it, maybe a little... but nothing like Ensiferum, Turisas and the likes.

Mithotyn is a better example, true.

Oh yeah, and I can't help but say it: Borknagar, Windir and Tyr are all overrated boring garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Yeah, I only have one album by Falkenbach, there wasn't much folky instrumentation on it, maybe a little... but nothing like Ensiferum, Turisas and the likes.

Would that happen to be "Heralding - The Fireblade"? I always thought that album lacked much of any folk instruments, though the melodies are still fairly folkish in structure.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:33 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Mithotyn is a better example, true.

Oh yeah, and I can't help but say it: Borknagar, Windir and Tyr are all overrated boring garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Ok, I could agree with Borknagar and possibly Tyr, but Windir?! I can't see that?? Windir aren't one of my favorite bands but they definitely deserve all credit they get, Valfar was amazing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next