* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Screwby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 am 

Erotetic wrote:
Screwby wrote:
Negura Bunget is in the top of my list aswell :)
Thank you anyway!

The search continues...

don't think it has anything to do with your current search, but all Negura Bunget fans should check out their side project Marțolea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQ2m-lqNTw#at=89

It seems like Martolea had everything to do with my search, from what I heard it sounded like 'one of those band', if you know what I mean.

Thanks! Still the search continues...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm 

Question about Eluveitie:

Which album(s) have the biggest presence of instruments like tin whistles and flutes? (not necessarily bag pipes)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:10 am 

I'm also looking for folk metal with HARMONIZED flutes, like from 3:16 - 3:43 and from 9:13 - 9:39 during Ilbeltz's Subak Ixeinttu Itxasotako Udek, and 1:47 - 2:44 during Slavaland's Orzeł Biały.

I'd also like folk metal with harmonized guitars like at around 4:07 during the same Slavland song, and from about 2:34 - 3:23 from Ilbeltz's Maiñel Moxkortiyarena.

Or folk metal with a bunch of different things harmonized is good too, like from about 12:30 - 13:00 of Ilbeltz's Auskan Gabiltz Olatun Gainian.

I listened to the first few tracks on Slavland's Tarcza Swaroga album, and musically I quite liked it, but I hate the underground production. It sounds like a bad real audio rip circa 1998. :| So anything with one or more of those requests, the clearer the production the better, would be appreciated.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 am 

Just 2 posts above yours, Martolea is an example of great use of flute in folk metal.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 am 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Just 2 posts above yours, Martolea is an example of great use of flute in folk metal.

I just listened to the first three tracks off of Noaptea Dihăniilor, and I didn't like it at all. Judging by those songs, it's much more black metal with folk elements than folk metal. And there was a little bit of harmonized flute in the first track, but only very little. There was hardly any flute at all in the second track. The third track had a flute throughout, but no harmonizations.

Thanks anyway.

David_G
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 am 

I've recently gotten into some Slavic Pagan Black Metal from the Balkans (StriboG and Maras, namely) and I've tried searching for more of the sort, but I've been unable to come up with anything like them. In general I'm looking for a band which writes its lyrics in a Slavic language (Macedonian, Serbian, Croatian, whatever) and has some folksy undertones, though that's not as important.

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 am 

Erotetic wrote:
how about the Triarchy of Vasconia* split release Iluntasunaren Itzulera?

*Adhur, Aiumeen Basoa, and Ilbeltz. (the latter two have since released their debut LP; Ilbeltz would probably appeal most, though Aiumeen Basoa's album is better than their offering on the split release)
Great split. I love how the lyrics are in Basque. I do not understand a word but I like it when the language matches the sound.
vengefulgoat wrote:
I also can recommend Hordak from Spain, check album The Last European Wolves. Abit like spanish Forefather. You might also enjoy La Caruta di li Dei from Italy, but the production on keys and drums is horrible.
I know of and like Hordak. I can't get over La Caruta di li Dei production.

I would like to find bands like a European-Mediterranean versions of Nile and Bathory, along with European-Mediterranean Temnozors. Anyone else know of Mediterranean bands?

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 pm 

Kawir is greek, closer to BM though. Their 2012 album is good. Also, when it comes to Spain, you can check out CrystalMoors and LLVME (their 2nd album is much better than debut).

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:50 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Question about Eluveitie:

Which album(s) have the biggest presence of instruments like tin whistles and flutes? (not necessarily bag pipes)

Well Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion obviously has the most prominent folk feel, and the folk instruments are noticable on pretty much every track, as I recall.

Of the non-acoustic albums, Everything Remains As It Never Was has the strongest folk presence, in my opinion. "Kingdome Come Undone" is the only song of that that is really dissapointing in that respect. It fuses both the folk and metal aspects well, without neglecting either.

Slania is a bit more disjointed in mixing the folk and melodeath influences, and the metal aspects seem to overpower the folk in most of the songs, but the instrumental tracks (Samon, Anagantios, Giamonios, and Elvembvios) are some of the best songs Eluvetie has done, folk-wise.

Helvetios has the loudest folk instruments, but for a good portion of the album, the folk instruments aren't even there, which makes it very hit and miss in that regard.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:31 pm 

Screwby wrote:
I have a pretty wide perspective, to be honest I am not really sure of what I am looking for.

Some of my favourite bands...Moonsorrow ... I prefer shrieked black metal vocals,

have you ever heard the debut album of Borknagar? If not - do so asap! It was the blue print for Moonsorrow's best "Verisäkeet" and I think Henri from Moonsorrow once mentioned it as one of his influences. This album is in no way comparable to what Borknagar play nowadays and is my personal "black with pagan/folk" faves. No humpa, no happiness. Purely archaic and fantastc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oBm6r8BXo

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:07 am 

I am looking for something similar in approach to Alkonost (especially the keyboards and guitar tone) but preferrably with folk instruments as well
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:
I am looking for something similar in approach to Alkonost (especially the keyboards and guitar tone) but preferrably with folk instruments as well

I can't help you, but I've got a question:

What's Alkonost's doomiest album?

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

I am not sure to be honest. All I know of them still has an air of positivity, though not "cheerful" if that makes sense
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:48 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

I am not sure to be honest. All I know of them still has an air of positivity, though not "cheerful" if that makes sense

Anything like Sabbathian or Candlemass-ish riffing?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 pm 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

hm, long time since I listened to them so this might be not totally fitting... however - have a try with Natural Spirit ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxT6awf4Vc4 ) or Svarga's "Там, где дремлют леса…" album (possibly too folky?)

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:32 pm 

Any recommendations for folk metal that doesn't have cheesy lyrics about drinking and partying?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:46 pm 

VincentVanGone wrote:
Any recommendations for folk metal that doesn't have cheesy lyrics about drinking and partying?

it would be easier to just give you a list of bands to avoid... (and, as a rule of thumb, avoid any band from Australia :P)

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 pm 

I'm looking for something similar to the songs 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne) and Blood Fire Death. They both sound very epic and melodic and also make me picture horses charging into battle.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 am 

odinofasgard wrote:
I'm looking for something similar to the songs 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne) and Blood Fire Death. They both sound very epic and melodic and also make me picture horses charging into battle.

Sounds like you need some Morrigan (Germany). Their first few albums and especially their album "Headcult" has that epic, melodic quality. Their song "The Arrival of Dana" from their first album is essentially a cover of "Blood Fire Death," but also not. It's weird. They're not shy about wearing their Bathory influence on their sleeves. The last two albums were a little more sketchy, quality-wise, but the first four albums are solid.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am 

Lord_Brendan wrote:

Gray (aka Graj, Grai) and Ruyan are similar to Alkonost in many ways (they're all from the same region of Russia, and a member of Alkonost was a part of Ruyan for a while), but both use folk instruments.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

Hello everyone.

Compared to my knowladge of Power Metal, the amount of Folk metal bands is relatively small. I am a fan of bands like Ensiferum, Turisas, Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Equillibrium, Tyr, Alestorm and, to a lesser extent, Finntroll.

I would prefer to find a band that has english lyrics (which is understandably minimal in Folk Meta, so this isn't necessary) and has a Catchy, upbeat or otherwise epic lyrics. The cheesier the better! Thank you in advance :3.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:37 pm 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
Hello everyone.

Compared to my knowladge of Power Metal, the amount of Folk metal bands is relatively small. I am a fan of bands like Ensiferum, Turisas, Korpiklaani, Eluveitie, Equillibrium, Tyr, Alestorm and, to a lesser extent, Finntroll.

I would prefer to find a band that has english lyrics (which is understandably minimal in Folk Meta, so this isn't necessary) and has a Catchy, upbeat or otherwise epic lyrics. The cheesier the better! Thank you in advance :3.

Hello and welcome! Try out Finsterforst's debut album, it is upbeat and catchy and makes great use of the accordian, the other two albums are great to but take a darker path. If you enjoy Ensiferum you prob will like Pagan Reign also.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:56 pm 

The Nightmare Rider wrote:
Compared to my knowladge of Power Metal...

I would prefer to find a band that has english lyrics ... and has a Catchy, upbeat or otherwise epic lyrics. The cheesier the better! ...

Falconer (and if you like their riffs check out the guitarist's previous band Mithotyn)
...a song about the US :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzijZgCE-t4

Excelsis is cool, quite relaxed but epic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yd9_Z_jnXY

Einherjer have some harsh vocals, but are generally pretty coherent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXnZSA63qA

Furthest Shore has quite an epic feel. only ever released one album, but it's solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wq3Id4jFDY

Skiltron is another Folk Power band with epic English lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4wTMZ0AZM

a band a lot of people would probably recommend is Suidakra (I don't know them too well, so I don't know how good a rec it is, but I think it fits)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_v5Lyniorw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kzcYKUe4U

and Elvenking, of course...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DZOKrCQwE

and one of my all time favorite songs...but from a band I don't know too well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDb_nhaX6ms

oh, and a hugely popular song, though not strictly folk metal, it fits your request (but you probably already know Blind Guardian)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklqr1xj32Q

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm 

Can someone recommend me some of the best folk/viking metal albums they have heard in 2012?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am 

Hastein45 wrote:
Can someone recommend me some of the best folk/viking metal albums they have heard in 2012?

could try facebook's Folk Metal Grove.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:44 am 

Hastein45 wrote:

The BIG one is Eluveitie's "Helvetios" which I very much enjoyed, being quite new to the band. While Ensiferum's "Unsung Heroes" isn't as strong as some earlier releases, I still think it's very good and worth every moment of your time. But the band I simply MUST recommend to any fan of Folk/Viking Metal would be Vanir's "Onwards into Battle". Some amazing keyboards and folk instruments set to some amzingly catchy melodies there. Hope this helps :).

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am 

Hastein45 wrote:

There were some good albums released in 2012 (though not as many, IMO, as previous years, though I certainly haven't heard all of them), but the highlight for me was the new Finsterforst album. Wodensthrone, Winterfylleth, Dordeduh, Eluveitie, and Skalmold had solid albums last year as well.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm 

Oh, I forgot, the new Zrec album is very good, too.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm 

Thank you guys very much. All of you were very helpful. I now have a lot of helpings on my plate.

Metal Saviour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 am 

Why are there 2 genres in the title that don't exist?

Viking and Pagan "metal" aren't genres, they are lyrical themes to folk metal. I request that they be removed from the title, as it encourages the promotion of false labels.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 am 

Metal Saviour wrote:

Viking and Pagan "metal" aren't genres, they are lyrical themes to folk metal. I request that they be removed from the title, as it encourages the promotion of false labels.

pagan (as in Pagan Black Metal, or just Pagan Metal) often refers to a vocal style, found often in Pagan/Folk metal bands, but also non-Folk Black or RAC/etc. projects from Europe.

good effort being a tool with your first post, though.

Metal Saviour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 am 

Erotetic wrote:
Metal Saviour wrote:

pagan (as in Pagan Black Metal, or just Pagan Metal) often refers to a vocal style, found often in Pagan/Folk metal bands, but also non-Folk Black or RAC/etc. projects from Europe.

good effort being a tool with your first post, though.

Pagan music is not solely metal. Metal classified as "Pagan" is simply folk or folk/black or whatever actual genre with Pagan being the lyrical themes, but without any common sense, I can see how you drew your conclusion.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 am 

Metal Saviour wrote:
Pagan music is not solely metal. Metal classified as "Pagan" is simply folk or folk/black or whatever actual genre with Pagan being the lyrical themes, but without any common sense, I can see how you drew your conclusion.

your taxonomy suggests you have no way of knowing whether or not a song is pagan metal unless you speak the language. for plenty of fans of folk metal, this isn't the case.
I could tell you pretty reliably based on the vocals* I hear whether or not a band is in the pagan/folk sphere, understanding not a word of what is said.

*obviously I need to hear more than just the DM or BM vokills they might also use, as that alone, no matter what lyrics they utter, never qualifies anyone as pagan metal, except in your scheme.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 pm 

Metal Saviour wrote:

Bye. Go save yourself.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am 

Looking for some acoustic Slavonic folk music. Sort of like Arkona or Lunar Poetry-era Nokturnal Mortum but without the metal.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm 

Darkwolf18 wrote:
Looking for some acoustic Slavonic folk music. Sort of like Arkona or Lunar Poetry-era Nokturnal Mortum but without the metal.

have you explored the Восточноевропейский фолк [Eastern European folk] section at RuTracker?

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 am 

Darkwolf18 wrote:

Hmm, have you listened to Лихолесье (Liholesie)? They are more ambient folk than pure Slavonic folk, but worth checking out. There is also this band from far East Russia, called Волколак (Volkolak), they released like three albums of pure Slavonic folk, it's pretty repetitive and cheesy, but catchy if you like that kind of music. They are tied to the NS scene, which doesn't bother me, but I wanted to point this out before getting spat on. There is also Perunwit from Poland, Piorun and Wojnar.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am 

Darkwolf18 wrote:

Krynitza is good acoustic folk music from Russia. The main guy, Rodoslav, has been involved with a few pagan/folk metal projects like Temnozor (he does some of the clean vocals for them now), Oprich, and Vo Skorbyah.

Darkwolf18
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:52 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Darkwolf18 wrote:

have you explored the Восточноевропейский фолк [Eastern European folk] section at RuTracker?

It says the forum is "temporarily disabled", is this normal?

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:42 am 

Darkwolf18 wrote:
Erotetic wrote:

It says the forum is "temporarily disabled", is this normal?

yep. maybe one in ten times I go to use it I see that it's offline.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next