Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 am 
 

Nightmare060 wrote:
Hell yes, Aiumeen Basoa is just what I'm looking for! Funilly enough, I just recently descovered both Frosttide and Aether Realm. Both of which certainly hit the sweet spot for my folk metal tastes. Thanks!


No prob man, there's a few other bands I can think of off the top of my head you might like, Crimfall being one, Karlahanand a new one called Hagbard. All of those have some amount of melodeath in them, with Crimfall leaning more towards symphonic folk/power.

Top
 Profile  
MasterOfSin
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:24 am
Posts: 151
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 am 
 

Hi,
i heard yesterday Skálmöld for the first time and to me was the best thing i've heard last year i love his sound, they are tremendous.
Unfortunaly they only have two albums and i want more, what this forum members can suggest me to continue with this kind o music.
Thanks
_________________
.-.. --- -. --. / .-.. .. ...- . / .... . .- ...- -.-- / -- . - .- .-..

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 495
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm 
 

I like Uaral and Empyrium but the vocals annoy me on both, does anyone know anything like these bands but maybe with more black metal elements?

Top
 Profile  
Aydross
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm 
 

What might be the best starting point for Moonsorrow? I've only heard their second.
_________________
...Don't turn out the lights
Cause there's demons in the night
And they prey on the fears in us all...

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm 
 

I have only heard the first two, and I recommend the 1st one if you have yet to listen to it. It's the same style as the 2nd, but it's less focused and I prefer the 2nd one by far :) Still, it's the same style, so you'll get more of what you enjoy.

Top
 Profile  
Aydross
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:36 pm 
 

Haha, the problem is I didn't like it that much. I started listening to their third one and It was decent, I'll keep listening. Thanks anyway.
_________________
...Don't turn out the lights
Cause there's demons in the night
And they prey on the fears in us all...

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 203
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:53 am 
 

Aydross wrote:
Haha, the problem is I didn't like it that much. I started listening to their third one and It was decent, I'll keep listening. Thanks anyway.

I own all the albums, and my honest opinion is that the first album worthy of a listen is Kivenkantaja, though it's still weaker than the newer albums. From that point on, things get better.

Top
 Profile  
Aydross
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
 

Yes, Kivenkantaja I did like. Such a catchy album. Might check 'em more.
_________________
...Don't turn out the lights
Cause there's demons in the night
And they prey on the fears in us all...

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:55 pm
Posts: 485
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 am 
 

Verisäkeet got me into Moonsorrow. It was bought on a whim without hearing a note :lol:
_________________
I'd call you a cunt but you lack the depth and warmth

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 495
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 am 
 

obviously no one has any recommendations for me

Top
 Profile  
Murder of Crows
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 3
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm 
 

I'm looking for bands that are absolutely drenched in folky atmosphere. Agalloch, Gallowbraid, Skagos, Falls of Rauros.
I like bands that take the song kind of slow with acoustic and other folk instrumental interludes and like I said, heavy on the atmospheric aspect (probably dark and sullen) but not as fast or intense as most viking metal.
If anyone knows some more bands like that, I'd be appreciative.
_________________
This season has lost it's beauty; now all I see are the frozen trees.

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 495
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 am 
 

ok then... looking for some depressive type folk metal with lyrical themes to do with things like herbs, trees, nature, meditation and spirituality. Maybe something similar to Herbst

No songs about epic sword fights or viking kingdoms or triumphant sing alongs while drinking mead please

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:51 pm 
 

Murder of Crows wrote:
I'm looking for bands that are absolutely drenched in folky atmosphere. Agalloch, Gallowbraid, Skagos, Falls of Rauros.
I like bands that take the song kind of slow with acoustic and other folk instrumental interludes and like I said, heavy on the atmospheric aspect (probably dark and sullen) but not as fast or intense as most viking metal.
If anyone knows some more bands like that, I'd be appreciative.


check out "Винланд" from Ледяной Гром's Зимовка во льдах
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1126
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
 

Erotetic wrote:
check out "Винланд" from Ледяной Гром's Зимовка во льдах


Wow, Ledyanoy Grom's still around? I have her 2008 album, which was pretty promising. I'll have to see if I can find the new one.

Top
 Profile  
Big_Grand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 432
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 pm 
 

So I'm starting to watch Mushishi again since season two is coming out soon, and the music is just getting to me. Cana nyone recomend some neo-folk that sounds sort of like these songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvqFN7 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7WK89 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFdDzJ ... EBAA439752

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21 am 
 

Big_Grand wrote:
So I'm starting to watch Mushishi again since season two is coming out soon, and the music is just getting to me. Cana nyone recomend some neo-folk that sounds sort of like these songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvqFN7 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7WK89 ... EBAA439752

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFdDzJ ... EBAA439752


neofolk definitely doesn't sound like that. maybe neoclassical, I dunno. new age stuff, too.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Big_Grand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 432
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 pm 
 

I'll look into those two genres, the songs just reminded me a lot of Tenhi so I assumed neo-folk

Top
 Profile  
samekh
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:36 am
Posts: 1126
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm 
 

I love Mushishi, and the music is fantastic in that show. I would think maybe some ethnoambient music would be what you're looking for. I hear some similarities with Moon Far Away (their album "Belovodie" is fantastic). They have vocals but the music is a mix of folk and electronic. I'm sure there are many others, but I'm not as familiar with the genre as I'd like.

Top
 Profile  
Big_Grand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 432
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
 

Ethnoambient is amazing from what I've heard so far, thanks for telling me about it.

Top
 Profile  
Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:32 pm 
 

I'm new on Viking Metal... Could someone recommend me some good viking metal bands? Mainstream, underrated... Your top viking metal bands.
_________________
Yes, yes... I'm stupid and new into metal, sorry if I say something shitty and you put it on your signature to make fun of me.
I'm seriously tired of Pantera fangirls...

Top
 Profile  
Aydross
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:31 pm 
 

From what I've been recommended myself, Moonsorrow are the most consistent.
_________________
...Don't turn out the lights
Cause there's demons in the night
And they prey on the fears in us all...

Top
 Profile  
BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am
Posts: 1623
Location: Ireland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:01 pm 
 

Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
I'm new on Viking Metal... Could someone recommend me some good viking metal bands? Mainstream, underrated... Your top viking metal bands.


Bathory's Viking albums; blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Destroyer of Worlds for it's couple of good songs and both of his Nordland albums. This is the band that pioneered viking metal, epic long mid-paced songs and fantastic riffage abound.
Other decent albums are Nokturnal Mortum's Голос сталі or Voice of Steel in English, Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Thyrfing self titled, and every Windir album.

Top
 Profile  
Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:59 pm 
 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:
Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
I'm new on Viking Metal... Could someone recommend me some good viking metal bands? Mainstream, underrated... Your top viking metal bands.


Bathory's Viking albums; blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Destroyer of Worlds for it's couple of good songs and both of his Nordland albums. This is the band that pioneered viking metal, epic long mid-paced songs and fantastic riffage abound.
Other decent albums are Nokturnal Mortum's Голос сталі or Voice of Steel in English, Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Thyrfing self titled, and every Windir album.


Thanks! I'll put the bands on my bookmarks and after listening some albums I'll go with them.
_________________
Yes, yes... I'm stupid and new into metal, sorry if I say something shitty and you put it on your signature to make fun of me.
I'm seriously tired of Pantera fangirls...

Top
 Profile  
StealthX
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 9
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:53 pm 
 

BaloroftheEvilEye wrote:

Bathory's Viking albums; blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, Destroyer of Worlds for it's couple of good songs and both of his Nordland albums. This is the band that pioneered viking metal, epic long mid-paced songs and fantastic riffage abound.
Other decent albums are Nokturnal Mortum's Голос сталі or Voice of Steel in English, Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power, Thyrfing self titled, and every Windir album.


Bathory's viking metal albums are all amazing, and Scald's Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is the best. I don't know about the other bands because they don't seem to be in English and I don't listen to that, but definitely check out Bathory and Scald, also Amon Amarth obviously.

Top
 Profile  
Big_Grand
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:59 pm
Posts: 432
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:40 pm 
 

I would definitely check out Windir if you haven't already, Fagning is what got me hooked on all the bands alike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtdsb3t20Y&feature=kp

Top
 Profile  
Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 pm 
 

Big_Grand wrote:
I would definitely check out Windir if you haven't already, Fagning is what got me hooked on all the bands alike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYtdsb3t20Y&feature=kp


Pretty awesome song! Thanks.
_________________
Yes, yes... I'm stupid and new into metal, sorry if I say something shitty and you put it on your signature to make fun of me.
I'm seriously tired of Pantera fangirls...

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7571
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm 
 

Ereb Altor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSJadIR77c

Falkenbach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDe86iFp7s

Both bands are really well-known but definitely some of the best viking metal around.
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 am 
 

StealthX wrote:
Bathory's viking metal albums are all amazing, and Scald's Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is the best. I don't know about the other bands because they don't seem to be in English and I don't listen to that, but definitely check out Bathory and Scald, also Amon Amarth obviously.


um...why?

imagine if someone said 'I want metal, but I don't listen to anything made by white guys'.

most of the awesome folk metal is non-English. you're really going to miss out with a standard like that.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Draken91
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 pm
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 pm 
 

I'm looking for some raw, primitive black metal, not polished production etc, with strong folk/viking/Pagan influences. Kind of like Filosofem or Hvis Lyseet Tar Oss by Burzum I suppose, though with much more folk influence (obviously). Alternatively, something like the acoustic version of Burning Eyes of the Werewolf by Satanic Warmaster on the Behexen split. Poor production isn't necessary, for example, I very much like Windir, though for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz... Quite into Helheim's debut, or early Enslaved, if that helps? Anyway, thanks in advance!

Top
 Profile  
Crypt666
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:32 pm
Posts: 1267
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 pm 
 

Draken91 wrote:
I'm looking for some raw, primitive black metal, not polished production etc, with strong folk/viking/Pagan influences. Kind of like Filosofem or Hvis Lyseet Tar Oss by Burzum I suppose, though with much more folk influence (obviously). Alternatively, something like the acoustic version of Burning Eyes of the Werewolf by Satanic Warmaster on the Behexen split. Poor production isn't necessary, for example, I very much like Windir, though for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz... Quite into Helheim's debut, or early Enslaved, if that helps? Anyway, thanks in advance!


Nothing beats Kampfar IMO:


Top
 Profile  
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1775
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm 
 

@Draken91:

I suggest Borkanagar's s/t debut. To me that one is a masterpiece of archaic (yet not noisy ;) ) bm with slight "pagan/folk" (for
whatever that means) touches. Their later albums were also quite good but on their debut everything is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7r-ZlZ99pY

Draken91 wrote:
...for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz...


without pagan/folk influences but possibly to your liking:
"Seil På Skyggans Hav" by the rather unknown Draugsang.
_________________
my 80s-90s Picture Tumblr

click to visit my Deviantart-Page for some logo and shirt design work
(contact me if your band needs a new logo or anything design related)

Top
 Profile  
FredGarvin
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 293
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:49 pm 
 

Draken91 wrote:
I'm looking for some raw, primitive black metal, not polished production etc, with strong folk/viking/Pagan influences. Kind of like Filosofem or Hvis Lyseet Tar Oss by Burzum I suppose, though with much more folk influence (obviously). Alternatively, something like the acoustic version of Burning Eyes of the Werewolf by Satanic Warmaster on the Behexen split. Poor production isn't necessary, for example, I very much like Windir, though for some reason I find it more atmospheric hearing guitars turn into fuzz... Quite into Helheim's debut, or early Enslaved, if that helps? Anyway, thanks in advance!


Try Norway's Eljudner: http://youtu.be/PYS2QXNlb9Y

Top
 Profile  
Draken91
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:16 pm
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 am 
 

Crypt666 wrote:
Nothing beats Kampfar IMO:



I've heard the name many times, but they seemed to end up in my "should listen to but never seem to get around to it" pile until now, thanks! Cheers for the suggestions

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 495
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:15 am 
 

Some neofolk mixed with metal (prefrebly black) with that more organic less refined well produced sound, something like early Agalloch ??

Also this is for EROTETIC, is there any dark/ambient type neofolk bands/artist in NZ based on nz/moari history ?

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:03 pm 
 

bloodycumshit wrote:
Also this is for EROTETIC, is there any dark/ambient type neofolk bands/artist in NZ based on nz/moari history ?


man, I don't know any of the local acts, in any genre. sorry.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:47 pm 
 

Do you know any folk/melodeath or death metal band which uses nyckelharpa or viola da gamba?
_________________
Yes, yes... I'm stupid and new into metal, sorry if I say something shitty and you put it on your signature to make fun of me.
I'm seriously tired of Pantera fangirls...


Last edited by Metantoine on Sat May 24, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic moved here. I already told you to use the help threads, no?

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:07 am 
 

Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
Do you know any folk/melodeath or death metal band which uses nyckelharpa or viola da gamba?


Attonitus use a nyckelharpa, they're standard German folk metal, not melodeath, but probably the best you're going to get.
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Erotetic
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:05 pm
Posts: 881
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:21 pm 
 

can anyone think of any folk metal songs that use a waltz time signature?
_________________
В Ожидании Смерти

Top
 Profile  
Another Typical Metal Newbie
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:20 pm
Posts: 52
Location: Venezuela
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:01 pm 
 

Erotetic wrote:
Another Typical Metal Newbie wrote:
Do you know any folk/melodeath or death metal band which uses nyckelharpa or viola da gamba?


Attonitus use a nyckelharpa, they're standard German folk metal, not melodeath, but probably the best you're going to get.


Thanks! I'll be listening to it.
_________________
Yes, yes... I'm stupid and new into metal, sorry if I say something shitty and you put it on your signature to make fun of me.
I'm seriously tired of Pantera fangirls...

Top
 Profile  
Thyrnar
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:04 am
Posts: 3
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:21 am 
 

Erotetic wrote:
can anyone think of any folk metal songs that use a waltz time signature?

The opening to Korpiklaani's Metsälle is in 3/4, but it switches time signatures about a minute and a half in.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tod_Im_Juni and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group