Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vakuum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:55 am 

Recently, I've listened a lot to "Fallout" by Slumber as well as the debut of Enshine, "Origin". Both very decent albums playing a branch of melodic death metal that doesn't shy away from incorporating piano, choirs, synths and classical instruments to create a very rich, harmonious soundscape. However, this sites genre classification of these bands (Melodic Doom/Death metal) makes it a little difficult to accurately find similar sounding bands, at least when it comes to the previously mentioned qualities I particularly enjoy with these bands.

Personally I've never seen these bands as "doom metal" bands, but rather some kind of melodic death metal which occasionally slows down a bit. For example, listen to the following songs:

Doom metal isn't really the first descriptor I would use for either song, even though I don't really mind whenever they play a slower tempo. To specify: I quite like several melodic doom/death metal bands, but the slower qualities of these bands is not necessarily the aspect I'm looking for at the moment.

Does anyone have any decent recommendations for anything in this style, or perhaps anything adjacent?

Thanks!

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:09 pm 

The most similar to these is Rapture, have you listened to them?
Katatonia's Brave Murder Day is the blueprint for this kind of melodic death/doom metal.
Atoma is not on this site, but it has the same members as Enshine and Slumber, so you might enjoy their album.

Vakuum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:09 pm 

First of all, thanks for the recommendations! I can kind of see what you mean with Brave Marder Day being the "blueprint" for this style of melodic death/doom. In a way it almost sounds like Slumber/Enshine without the extra "stuff" (piano, strings, choirs, synthezisers etc). However, in this particular case, the way Slumber/Enshine incorporated these extra "stuff" is what I found the most interesting about their music.

Because of this I feel that among your recommendations, Atoma came the closest to scratch that particular itch I was looking for (despite the fact that Rapture are more sonically similair to Slumber/Enshine than Atoma are.) With this in mind, do you have any further recommendations more in this direction?

Btw I'm listening to the Futile album by Rapture as we speak. I'm quite liking it so far!

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:56 pm 

If those "extra" elements is what you're looking for, then it's going to be tough. To be honest, I don't have any good examples of this kind of style. Have you listened to fellow Swedes Draconian (Elysian Night, for example)? I think they may fit the bill at least partially, although they tend to be more doom than melodeath.

You could also try looking into some gothic metal. Maybe Darkseed (songs like Forever Darkness or Rain of Revival). Or Trail of Tears that are a mixture of melodic and symphonic black (songs like Obedience in the Absence of Logic or Liquid View).

What do you think about symphonic melodic death metal bands like Wintersun or Eternal Tears Of Sorrow? Do songs like Sleeping Stars by Wintersun or Prophetian by EToS sound like anything you like?

Hopefully at least some of these bands are in the general ballpark of what you're looking for. I could try giving even more suggestions if you enjoy any of these.

Vakuum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:55 am 

Coincidentally, I actually listened to Draconian yesterday. Although I hadn't heard that particular song before (Elysian Night). I quite liked it, although it wasn't really what I was looking for. I gave those gothic metal bands a shot as well although they unfortunately drifted even further away from what I'm craving.

Wintersun is kind of a band I've avoided (mostly due to Jari's shenanigans) but I've always assumed that if I gave them an honest shot I'd probably like them. EToS is a band I've only scratched the surface of so far. I absolutely love their song Prophetian but so far none of their other songs have reached the same level. I would say out of all recommendations from your last post, Prophetian is the closest to what I want.

What I'm actually looking for are bands that give off the same "vibe" as Enshine/Slumber, which of course is a terrible way to ask for recommendations since we all experience "vibes" differently. When I listened to Enshine for the first time, my immediate comparisons were bands like An Abstract Illusion (songs like Breathe. Create. Beauty. or Vakuum), as well as Neurotech (The Elysian Symphony). None of these bands would be considered the same genre but they all give off the same vibe, in my mind at least.

Also, once again, thank you for the recommendations!

Reply to topic