Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am 

I was curious about how it sounds as well. The only Tony Tears song I could find on youtube was from the first demo. It did have an interesting sound though. A bit more straightforward than the super arcane weirdness of Black Hole but I was digging it...

I also stumbled onto Abysmal Grief because of the Tony Tears connection. I think it may be time to order some of their material if I can find it for a suitable price. I was expecting something a lot cheesier but they're great. Reminds me of Mortuary Drape if they were a straight-up doom band.

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:53 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some straight up doom with lyrics centered on Egyptian mythology? I did a search but found nothing.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:10 pm 

mcmufffins wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some straight up doom with lyrics centered on Egyptian mythology? I did a search but found nothing.

Don't know about the straight up part, but Amarna Sky might interest you.

Levitation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm 

Hey, what's up? I'm looking for classic stoner/doom with a woman on vocals. Just thick, slow stuff with female vocals. Any ideas?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:16 pm 

Levitation wrote:
Hey, what's up? I'm looking for classic stoner/doom with a woman on vocals. Just thick, slow stuff with female vocals. Any ideas?

You might enjoy The Slow Death and Murkrat, which both feature the same woman on vocals.

The Slow Death - The Prodigal Son
Murkrat - Faceless

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 pm 

Levitation wrote:

Jex Thoth, Rose Kemp, The River (if you don't really depressing stuff), and Serpentcult. There are plenty more recent female-fronted doom bands out there, just check out some of the similar artists on these bands' pages.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:05 am 

Levitation wrote:

I've got a big-ass list of female doom/occult rock here so I'll pick out a couple of more relevent ones for you.

Rituals of the Oak from Australia fits that bill exactly, being super slow trad doom.

Witch Mountain is fantastic trad doom that is a bit more upbeat and dynamic.

Subrosa is really beautiful and sad with sludgy guitars and violins.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:19 pm 

Levitation wrote:

This album by The Wounded Kings.

Spidzior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:37 pm 

Levitation wrote:

Acid King

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:05 pm 

Can anyone suggest me some good sludge? I like Valkyrie, Lair of the Minotaur, Horn of the Rhino, and Akris?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:29 am 

Looking for sludge (including post-metal) with an ocean/sea vibe like Trenches or Isis's Oceanic. Hell, even stuff drifting into funeral doom territory like Ahab and Fungoid Stream would be cool.

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am 

Hey, all.

I'm shopping around for new doom metal to listen to. I guess it'd help to itemize the stuff I already like, to both avoid recommendations I already know about and to give an idea of my tastes.

I'm really fond of the more old-school, melodic sort of Sabbathian-inspired doom. St. Vitus is a huge favorite, of course, and acts like Witchfinder General and Pentagram. I enjoy newer groups like My Dying Bride, but I'm more of a fan of their melodic doom-death material than the weepier gothicisms of albums like 34.788%... Complete. I love Type O Negative, and have lately gotten into the later material from Woods of Ypres because of their similarity to TON. I'm also partial to stoner doom acts - Sleep, of course, being the big one there, along with Electric Wizard and Om. My favorite act in that subgenre is probably Fireball Ministry, especially the Their Rock Is Not Our Rock release. It's rooted more in a traditional sound than some of the more out-there acts of that type.

Conversely, I did not care much for what Candlemass I've heard. It was too... epic, and I think doom works best when it's personal.

I'm not a huge fan of funeral doom, and most drone puts me to sleep. I've never really given sludge a listen, but I'm a massive Alice In Chains fan, and I know they had an influence on the subgenre, so bands that are similar to AIC would be welcome as well.

Any suggestions?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm 

Einzige wrote:
Hey, all.

I'm shopping around for new doom metal to listen to. I guess it'd help to itemize the stuff I already like, to both avoid recommendations I already know about and to give an idea of my tastes.

I'm really fond of the more old-school, melodic sort of Sabbathian-inspired doom. St. Vitus is a huge favorite, of course, and acts like Witchfinder General and Pentagram. I enjoy newer groups like My Dying Bride, but I'm more of a fan of their melodic doom-death material than the weepier gothicisms of albums like 34.788%... Complete. I love Type O Negative, and have lately gotten into the later material from Woods of Ypres because of their similarity to TON. I'm also partial to stoner doom acts - Sleep, of course, being the big one there, along with Electric Wizard and Om. My favorite act in that subgenre is probably Fireball Ministry, especially the Their Rock Is Not Our Rock release. It's rooted more in a traditional sound than some of the more out-there acts of that type.

Conversely, I did not care much for what Candlemass I've heard. It was too... epic, and I think doom works best when it's personal.

I'm not a huge fan of funeral doom, and most drone puts me to sleep. I've never really given sludge a listen, but I'm a massive Alice In Chains fan, and I know they had an influence on the subgenre, so bands that are similar to AIC would be welcome as well.

Any suggestions?

A couple kinda stonerish Sabbath-like bands from the 00s you might like are Glow and Maligno.

Glow - Godfish

Maligno - The Red Witch

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 pm 

So I just happened across Lord Vicar. Fear No Pain sounds pretty goodly, though maybe a bit too...er, upbeat at times. Any recs on anything along these lines but with a somewhat darker/more sorrowful atmosphere? Trad/epic doom isn't my strong point, though I'm already familiar with Sabbath, Pagan Altar, Scald... fucking adore Scald. Passing familiarity with Trouble, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, etc. I like the combination Lord Vicar's got on their debut of Ozzy-era Sabbath with something a bit more epic in feel. Would be great to find something that takes that template to a more brooding or heroic place. The last track is just great.

Hour of 13 is an awesome example of how to evolve the Sabbath concept in a wonderful direction but that's a bit too "modern"-sounding for what I'm thinking of...I need something a bit more age-tarnished and bardic.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:21 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
So I just happened across Lord Vicar. Fear No Pain sounds pretty goodly, though maybe a bit too...er, upbeat at times. Any recs on anything along these lines but with a somewhat darker/more sorrowful atmosphere? Trad/epic doom isn't my strong point, though I'm already familiar with Sabbath, Pagan Altar, Scald... fucking adore Scald. Passing familiarity with Trouble, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, etc. I like the combination Lord Vicar's got on their debut of Ozzy-era Sabbath with something a bit more epic in feel. Would be great to find something that takes that template to a more brooding or heroic place. The last track is just great.

Hour of 13 is an awesome example of how to evolve the Sabbath concept in a wonderful direction but that's a bit too "modern"-sounding for what I'm thinking of...I need something a bit more age-tarnished and bardic.

I hadn't listened to Lord Vicar so I just tried The Funeral Pyre, and that's fucking great.

You'll definitely like Atlantean Kodex, though it's a bit thicker in sound than that Lord Vicar. It's very similar to Scald since they're pretty much brothers in the tiny little genre of ancient-sounding Bathoryish Epic Doom. It's so damn brave, epic and solemn. Similar to that is Ereb Altor. A bit closer to regular stompy doom is Doomsword.

If you want something darker (but straying a little more from trad doom) then I'd suggest SIG:AR:TYR. It's viking metal with a lot of dark acoustic ambience and like a mix of Bathory, Agalloch and Primordial. Beyond the North Winds is the closest album to Bathory, Godsaga is a little more dark and Agallochy.

Anyway so I think I've nailed the age-tarnished and epic bits you're looking for, but maybe not the dark and depressive bit. They're mournful but in an indirect, subtle kind of way. If anyone has epic/viking/doom that's downright suicidal, I'd kill to hear it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 am 

Thanks! I probably should've preempted the Atlantean Kodex mention, as I have previous experience with The Golden Bough, and surprisingly I'm not particularly partial to it. It's got the right ingredients but not nearly the songwriting and performance heights one finds in Scald. Makes me frowny :( But I'll give it a re-listen anyway, just to be sure.

SIG:AR:TYR : Interesting that you'd mention him, I remember having a quick peek into his stuff a couple years ago but it might not have been what I was looking for at the time. Will definitely revisit Beyond the North Winds.

Doomsword I actually already knew I didn't like... kind of the same issue as with AK. The ingredients are there but the execution is lacking. Ereb Altor I will look into :)

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:20 am 

Aww, oh well. I've heard that complaint about AK before which is fair I guess. I don't actually like Scald that much myself, production is too shrieky and I can't sit through the album. Will of the Gods is Great Power is a great track on its own though.

Which Doomsword have you tried? The second album, Resound the Horn knocked my freakin' socks off but I can't find the same magic on the other records.

Sinistrous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:28 pm 

Einzige wrote:
Hey, all.

Any suggestions?

Know of Reverend Bizarre? Especially their last album So Long Suckers is a masterpiece of traditional doom, weepy as they might be, but not of the girlish gothic variety, more like crying over your pint after a lifetime of disappointment. Even though their songs are of titanic length and epic as a fighting a mammoth barehanded in Cimmeria, you could give it a whirl, because their lyrics deal in subjects familiar to a fan of T0N: depression, anxiety and hopelessness, with a bit of black humour thrown in to the mix. Also, a piece about Caesar, whose awesomeness should not be disputed. But uh, in any case, here's the first ten minutes of the 25 minute of Anywhere Out of This World: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRFOnVrK4Cw

But, if we were to go a way less epic in nature, Isole from Sweden might be worth checking out. Might just be because of the memories regarding the time I first heard Bliss of Solitude, but any ways, melancholic, melodic take on the traditional doom, that for me at least has that somewhat indescribable "personal" feeling. Here's Dying from that album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YfHg8cuPc

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:25 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

Just a quick mention for Lord Vicar - do make sure to listen to the track from their split with Funeral Circle, The Fear of Being Crushed. It's far more sorrowful than most of their material.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 am 

LordTool wrote:
Aww, oh well. I've heard that complaint about AK before which is fair I guess. I don't actually like Scald that much myself, production is too shrieky and I can't sit through the album. Will of the Gods is Great Power is a great track on its own though.

Which Doomsword have you tried? The second album, Resound the Horn knocked my freakin' socks off but I can't find the same magic on the other records.

Can't sit through Scald? Damn, that's one of those albums where I look forward to each and every song with great anticipation :) There's no such track as "Will of the Gods is Great Power," btw... were you thinking of "Night Sky"?

I've given the newest Doomsword a shot as well as parts of...one of their previous works, can't remember. But I don't think it was Resound the Horn.

Ereb Altor sounds promising... By Honour looks to be some quality Nordland worship ;) Hoping Beyond the North Winds doesn't have too many of those annoying whisper screams...

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
LordTool wrote:

Can't sit through Scald? Damn, that's one of those albums where I look forward to each and every song with great anticipation :) There's no such track as "Will of the Gods is Great Power," btw... were you thinking of "Night Sky"?

I've given the newest Doomsword a shot as well as parts of...one of their previous works, can't remember. But I don't think it was Resound the Horn.

Ereb Altor sounds promising... By Honour looks to be some quality Nordland worship ;) Hoping Beyond the North Winds doesn't have too many of those annoying whisper screams...

Oh yeah I was just going by memory, it was Night Sky.

Ereb Altor has two phenomenal tracks imo, which are By Honour and Myrding from the first and second album respectively. The rest of those albums... get a bit droney imo but they're still good. The 3rd and newest album theyve gone into straightup black metal with a touch of the old atmosphere.

Whispers screams? I'm assuming that would be his normal black metal voice. So uh, woops.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 am 

Some of you might be interested to know that Ocean Chief is back. You can listen to a new track here. Fucking immense stoner/doom!

HeavyOnHeavy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

Wizard's Beard are awesome. In kind of a death/doom style, check 'em out.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:43 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Some of you might be interested to know that Ocean Chief is back. You can listen to a new track here. Fucking immense stoner/doom!

Yea, sounds as good as Den Förste if not ever so slightly refined. That strained Swedish roar gets better and better.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm 

I'm looking for stuff similar to Cathedral's 'The Ethereal Mirror'. Vocals don't have to be in a similar style, but anything that sounds like that album will be great.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 pm 

You checked their other albums? If not check The Carnival Bizarre for sure. You'll probably like Orange Goblin too, very groovy stoner/doom.

About Cathedral, I wrote that in the FFA earlier this week

Quote:
Here's a brief rundown of their disco. Do check them out, they're one of my favorite bands. Ah yeah, be sure to check their EPs too, Soul Sacrifice is really cool.

-FoE: weird slow doom with some death influences (my future backpatch for my 2nd vest!)
-The Ethereal Mirror, The Carnival Bizarre: faster groovier doom/stoner (their two best albums imo)
-Supernatural Birth Machine and Caravan of Redemption: Been a while since I heard these, they're a bit more stonerish and rockier.
-The VIIth Coming and The Garden of Unearthly Delights are way darker and doomier than their post FoE stuff, still groovy though
-But their heavier album and darkiest album is Endtyme. It's really crushing. Check the first 6 minutes or so, I couldn't find Melancholy Emperor on yt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpMwg7S52cs
-The Guessing Game is very different, check the review by this expert (he's handsome) http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... Metantoine

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 pm 

Fank you, I'll check it out.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm 

Does anyone have any Doom metal with clean vocals that sounds very depressive to recommend?
Something like ''40 Watt Sun'' I just love that band, especially the vocals.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
Does anyone have any Doom metal with clean vocals that sounds very depressive to recommend?

Try Solemn Verses by Fall of the Idols. The song "Hymn" for example.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 am 

forestcorpse wrote:

You probably know of Warning which was the previous band of 40 Watt Sun and sounds very similar.

Pallbearer is often compared to those two, but the vocals aren't as clear and at the fore-front. Still quite sorrowful.

Woods of Ypres is very doomy/gothic at least half the time, but they're nominally a melodic black metal band. Latest album is 95% clean vocals. Everything I touch turns to gold (then to coal). Alternate Ending.

But those are all pretty popular bands so you probably know them already.

And there's Subrosawhich seriously drips with emotion.

Last edited by LordTool on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 am 

Einzige wrote:

Any suggestions?

If you want sludgy doom metal in the vein of AiC then look no further than Mother of God from Sweden. Daniel Nygren, the vox is like a carbon copy of Layne Staley and in a good way. The sound is a hotch potch of muddy heavy rock/metal of Seattle and Heavy Psych of Texas.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 am 

Looking for some stoner/doom with heavy thick bass and clean vocals all bathed in weedy psychedelia. Preferably clean vocals. Themes and/or abstract or unique things about them similar to Om would be awesome too. Some stuff like this are Jex Thoth, Sleep, Om, Electric Wizard (to an extent), Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Black Sabbath (master of reality) Acid King etc

Oh also anything thats really fuzzy, fuzz is cool too

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am 

Zeating wrote:
Looking for some stoner/doom with heavy thick bass and clean vocals all bathed in weedy psychedelia. Preferably clean vocals. Themes and/or abstract or unique things about them similar to Om would be awesome too. Some stuff like this are Jex Thoth, Sleep, Om, Electric Wizard (to an extent), Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats, Black Sabbath (master of reality) Acid King etc

Oh also anything thats really fuzzy, fuzz is cool too

Maybe... Chelsea Wolfe. Abstract fuzzy doomy indi rock, or something. Well its probably not what you're thinking of but it might interest you!

Last edited by LordTool on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am 

Levitation wrote:

I've really enjoyed Windhand's debut album this past year: http://windhandva.bandcamp.com/

farizsyahrial
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:16 am 

I want to know what's basic band on this doom/sludge ? thanks

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am 

farizsyahrial wrote:

If you're about to get into the sludge/doom style then I'd recommend to start with Melvins, Mastodon, Alice in Chains and Down. Then venture into more extreme bands like Acid Bath, Eyehategod, Crowbar, Ramesses, Neurosis, YOB etc.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:08 pm 

farizsyahrial wrote:

Sites like Last.fm or Pandora would do you a world of wonders.

Doom:
Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Reverend Bizarre, Sleep's Dopesmoker

Sludge:
Melvins, Eyehategod, Iron Monkey

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:33 pm 

Hey doomers,

I rarely venture to this side of the recommendation threads because it's mainly black and some death metal that keeps my boat floating. Right now though I'm looking for something in the vein of Bethlehem's first album Dark Metal in the realm of doom metal. Especially things like the beautyful, wistful guitar leads at the end of Wintermute, the headbangable, crushing riffs from Veiled Irreligion and the awesome melodic middle part of 3rd Noctural Prayer.

Might you doom aficionados be able to provide some leads as to where I should look for stuff like that, maybe? Cheers!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:23 pm 

Church of Void has their demo-EP up on Bandcamp for a name your price kind of deal. I urge fans of Finnish doom to check it out immediately. It's a rocking good time. :beer:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:35 pm 

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/01 ... en-insane/

New The Gates of Slumber track! It's awesome as always.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 133  Next