Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:42 pm 

"Embrace the Stone" was a piss-poor choice to put up on Youtube, to be honest. That intro riff sounds like Memory Garden. Ugh... There are plenty of better songs on the album!

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:59 pm 

I got into Age of Taurus from none other than Metantoine and I hold their first release in pretty high regard. One of my favorite doom metal demos along with Dwell Within's Monkshood(also trad doom, do yourself a service and check this out). Anyhow, with that said I had pretty high hopes for this album and in short it is very good. Production is nice and clear but still has that doom heaviness I always look for, and the clearly audible bass is another production perk. The first track came right out of the gate rocking along and it has to be impossible to not at least bob your head to it. "Walk With Me My Queen" has a 40 Watt Sun vibe in the lyrical department, and while that may deter some, don't let it do so. It's a beautiful song and the vocal harmonies are very anthemic and moving. Really the only song I don't care for is "Embrace The Stone". I know it was released earlier, and when it was I didn't care for it and I still don't. It's not a horrible song, but with the quality before it, it just doesn't stack up and is fairly meh. Overall though, very quality album. Great production, great riffs, nice passionate solos, and the vocals are better than before with the new harmonies and such. If one band needed a full length out right after a demo or EP, it was Age of Taurus, and now that it's almost here, you won't be disappointed.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
"Walk With Me My Queen" has a 40 Watt Sun vibe in the lyrical department

I'm thinking more along the lines of While Heaven Wept. It can come off as pitiful but in the context of the song it works fairly well. Nothing annoying.
Am I the only one who wasn't all that impressed with the demo? The album is a lot better. Lots of Gates of Slumber-ish rocking out which is highly enjoyable.

And yes, Dwell Within's Monkshood rules. Every (doom) band with Dennis Cornelius in the lineup should be heard and appreciated!

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:45 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Psytopsy wrote:
"Walk With Me My Queen" has a 40 Watt Sun vibe in the lyrical department

I'm thinking more along the lines of While Heaven Wept. It can come off as pitiful but in the context of the song it works fairly well. Nothing annoying.
Am I the only one who wasn't all that impressed with the demo? The album is a lot better. Lots of Gates of Slumber-ish rocking out which is highly enjoyable.

And yes, Dwell Within's Monkshood rules. Every (doom) band with Dennis Cornelius in the lineup should be heard and appreciated!
points for you for already enjoying Dwell Within! I dont know it sounded 40 Watt Sun-ish to me, just not sappy. Regardless I like that the album wasn't just full out ballsy trad doom and they added a nice ballad-esque song like that one

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:35 pm 

Been getting back into some doom lately. Gave Sinister Realm another go and they seem like pretty cool stuff, as well as some early Solitude Aeturnus. The Age of Taurus discussion reminded me that their demo was pretty cool, I'll be checking out their new album soon. Pretty disillusioned with female-fronted trad doom though, aside from Castle's latest full-length I haven't really heard much that's caught my fancy, are there any must hear albums of this variety? I've checked through all the obvious stuff already; it seems like it should be really good on paper, but very few of the bands I've heard have quality riffs. Also any bands similar to Age of Taurus, Gates of Slumbers heavy/doom stuff, Sinister Realm, Briton Rites is always appreciated. I'm not big on super-slow super-long songs, so something fairly concise would be cool (read: songs under 10 minutes).

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
Been getting back into some doom lately. Gave Sinister Realm another go and they seem like pretty cool stuff, as well as some early Solitude Aeturnus. The Age of Taurus discussion reminded me that their demo was pretty cool, I'll be checking out their new album soon. Pretty disillusioned with female-fronted trad doom though, aside from Castle's latest full-length I haven't really heard much that's caught my fancy, are there any must hear albums of this variety? I've checked through all the obvious stuff already; it seems like it should be really good on paper, but very few of the bands I've heard have quality riffs. Also any bands similar to Age of Taurus, Gates of Slumbers heavy/doom stuff, Sinister Realm, Briton Rites is always appreciated. I'm not big on super-slow super-long songs, so something fairly concise would be cool (read: songs under 10 minutes).
you said you were disillusioned with female fronted doom, but Stake Off the Witch is a pretty good Italian doom band. shorter songs and quality riffs, more on the stoner metal side of things. Plus the vocalist is pretty good, has a little grit in her voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZTg4zG2q3o

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:08 pm 

Eh, this band doesn't really seem like my cup of tea, thanks for the rec though.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:11 pm 

Psytopsy wrote:
has a 40 Watt Sun vibe.

Your liking 40 Watt Sun is a character flaw I can accept :-P.
Jophelerx wrote:
Pretty disillusioned with female-fronted trad doom though, aside from Castle's latest full-length I haven't really heard much that's caught my fancy, are there any must hear albums of this variety? I've checked through all the obvious stuff already; it seems like it should be really good on paper, but very few of the bands I've heard have quality riffs.

Black Moth is pretty cool, but not for everyone. Female-fronted grunge/proto-punk/doom with occasional psychedelic leanings. Witch Mountain, of course, is very good. Subrosa is great, a bit sludgier and with violins, their sophomore is amazing. Demon Lung is really cool, almost like slowed down thrash/death with a more obviously doomy vocal performance.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 pm 

I've heard Black Moth and Witch Mountain, didn't like the former and the latter has some good songs on their 2012 album, but struck me as fairly inconsistent. I remember the name Subrosa but I haven't checked them in awhile, will do so. Haven't heard of Demon Lung, I'll check them out.

Edit: SubRosa seem really cool (to Metantoine's chagrin), not really digging Demon Lung.

Tony: I've heard all the bands you listed, not really a fan of Argus, but it's been awhile since I've checked the other two, so I'll give them another shot.

Last edited by Jophelerx on Sun May 19, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:20 pm 

Stake Off the Witch are cool, plenty of noise/alternative rock influences too, i hear some Sonic Youth from time to time. Jopherlerx, you need to hear Witch Mountain if you haven't, truly the best female fronted doom band in my opinion. (ah damn you, dystopia! My internet is slow here).

Also check Argus, you'll like them, it's cool heavy/doom. I think Sinister Realm is ultra generic and mediocre though but I really love TGoS! Guys, keep in mind, Jopherlerx is a heavy/power nut so keep things rooted in trad metal. Don't check SubRosa, Jophy, you won't like them, believe me. Do you know The Lamp of Thoth and Arkham Witch? To be honest, female fronted doom is not quite for you, the bands are rarely heavy/doom/traditional. Anyway, check out Argus.

I'm glad there's some activity in this thread!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:32 pm 

Okay, Lamp of Thoth seem pretty legit, I'm not impressed with Arkham Witch's 2011 album but the samples I heard from the new one sound more promising, less hard rock and more heavy/doom. Thanks for the recs Tony!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 pm 

Jophelerx, try Church of Void for some Gates of Slumber/Age of Taurus kind of upbeat doom. And then perhaps Second Grave for doom with a female vocalist.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:30 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Okay, Lamp of Thoth seem pretty legit, I'm not impressed with Arkham Witch's 2011 album but the samples I heard from the new one sound more promising, less hard rock and more heavy/doom. Thanks for the recs Tony!

The Lamp of Thoth's full length is a better release than anything under the Arkham Witch moniker, as far as I'm concerned. Great band. Arkham Witch come off as kind of inconsistent. They've got a few different styles of songs that they do, and I wish that they'd just stick with the heavy/doom ones and fun, fast/rocking heavy numbers and ditch whatever thrashy stuff they've got going on...

Uh, do you know of Orodruin? I'm not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for, but then again I'm not sure exactly how specific of stuff you're looking for, so I figured I might as well throw out a few mentions since our tastes aren't too different at all. Check out Peasants Lament.

And, since everyone else is linking female-fronted doom despite how you said you were disillusioned with it, what about Blood Ceremony? Oliver Haddo and Hymn to Pan are slower, meatier tracks while stuff like My Demon Brother and Goodbye Gemini are shorter, more single-esque tracks.

Oh, and did you check out Kröwnn when they were mentioned a while back? Pretty solid new band from Italy playing heavy/doom metal. You can check out their entire demo at their bandcamp.

Second Grave come off as really safe and uninteresting sounding to me. I remember checking them out on two different occasions. I want to like Sinister Realm more than I do, but they also just come off as a bit safe and unadventurous. There's just not nothing really striking or memorable.

I'll have to give Age of Taurus' album a listen or two tomorrow. How you folks said that that first released track was an awful choice has me more interested. I bet that I'll probably enjoy that ballad-esque track, too, since I'm a sucker for 'em.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:07 am 

Desperate Souls of Tortured Times is pretty decent and growing on me. Certainly not as good as the demo though.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 am 

Since the name has been mentioned a few times on this page I will come out and confess my love for Sinister Realm. Sure, they might come off as generic, as some of you proclaim, and all their musical influences are very "safe" I suppose (Dio-era Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Candlemass), but they got the chops to make pretty much every song memorable in its own way. The vocals are a high point. Alex Kristof belches out those nice fantasy lyrics in a mighty manner. I'm glad there's another album coming out later this year. Listened to the first two a lot.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm 

Yeah, I checked out Second Grave after seeing them on similar artists to SubRosa, I like what I've heard. Some hard rock influence, but not overwhelming, and incorporated tastefully. Good stuff. I don't really have any specific problems that I can point out with Church of Void, but they didn't really click with me; to each their own, I guess. I already know Orodruin and Blood Ceremony but wasn't really impressed with either; just not my style. Checked out Krownn but the vocals really bore me. Thanks for the recs everyone! Glad to find some new doom I like, I wasn't sure at first if there was much more out there for me.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm 

I've always enjoyed that Second Grave EP. The tracks are dynamic and varied and the doom is good.

Another female fronted band that reminds me of SG is Shinin Shade. I have only streamed them a bit but this track in particular makes me inclined to look further: http://moonlightrecords.bandcamp.com/tr ... ner-saturn

QueenElizawreck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 am 

+1 for Sinister Realm, Doomsday!

I loved them immediately the first time I heard them. A bit too safe, yes but they make it work. Bring on the new record!

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:24 am 

Hey guys. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of something similar to Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. I'm after something with riffs that you would smoke marijuana to, you know, real sludgy, rocking riffs with some good fucked up guitar solos. Also, songs in the 14 minute range are a huge plus, but I don't want a band that writes only long songs. Also, no triggers on the drums please. I want some real good, analogue sounding sludge.

Any help would be great guys.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:38 pm 

Baldrs wrote:
Hey guys. I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of something similar to Dopethrone by Electric Wizard. I'm after something with riffs that you would smoke marijuana to, you know, real sludgy, rocking riffs with some good fucked up guitar solos. Also, songs in the 14 minute range are a huge plus, but I don't want a band that writes only long songs. Also, no triggers on the drums please. I want some real good, analogue sounding sludge.

What you need is Zoroaster, my friend. Their first two albums are massive. Full of filthy sludge and psychedelic madness with quality vocals ranging from raspy gruffs to clean Gregorian chants to deep growls.

Here's a demo:
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm 

Zoroaster are quality jams, their old bass player went on to start Order of the Owl which you may also dig, Baldrs. http://orderoftheowl.bandcamp.com/

I'd also HIGHLY recommend Stone Titan.
http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com/album/7
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm 

Hey guy's I'm looking for some trad or stoner doom with very pronounced drumming. Could you guys rec me some bands with a jam session feel/quality to their drumming and riffing as well? Doom that basically sound like some guys got high as hell and jammed out for a couple hours in their basement. Thanks in advance everyone!

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:29 pm 

Baldrs wrote:

Zoroaster is legit.

I'm lately listening to a bit of grimy, dark sludge like Rorcal, Eibon and The Body. All three of them have new material out already this year.

The Body:

Rorcal:

Eibon:

If that's all a bit too grim, you should check out Whitehorse, Australian sludge band, really cool stuff, but a YouTube search only brings up the (really, really) shit Canadian folk duo, and Adrift for Days, who are also Australian and very good. Though even if it's not too dark, you'll dig both of these too I'm sure.

Adrift for Days

Also, Bongripper. Thank me later.

Last edited by DanFuckingLucas on Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:32 pm 

Baldrs wrote:

Now you're talking! Check out these bands! I assume you know Bongzilla, right? If not, check them out too. I'll give you more doom/stoner stuff than sludge 'cause I don't really think Dopethrone is sludge and I'm sure you'll enjoy these anyway.
Black Capricorn, pretty good Italian doom band, I reviewed their debut and their second album is even better. There's a 16 minutes song on it.

High Priest of Saturn. Awesome Norwegian doom with influences of EW and Om, they released their first album in 2013 but this is from the demo. The leader of the band is a woman, she plays bass, guitar and vox!

Moonless, nice Danish groovy doom/stoner. The songs are all around 6 minutes but I think it fits your rocking riffs and weed request.

And of course for Dopethrone worship: Dopethrone

And last by not least, Huata! Awesome French fuzzy doom/stoner, hugely influenced by EW of course.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm 

Anyone here bothered to check out the Gallow God full-length The Veneration of Serpents yet? It has leaked. Excellent British doom reminiscent of Fall of the Idols, Warning and Mirror of Deception, to name a few. The vocalist is also vaguely similar to Dennis Cornelius (Revelation, Memory Driven, etc). This album is a lot better than the False Mystical Prose EP that was released in 2010, although that wasn't too bad either. Very gloomy stuff. Not for you "pot smokers", I suppose, heh. I urge interested people to check it out, though.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:03 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Anyone here bothered to check out the Gallow God full-length The Veneration of Serpents yet? It has leaked. Excellent British doom reminiscent of Fall of the Idols, Warning and Mirror of Deception, to name a few. The vocalist is also vaguely similar to Dennis Cornelius (Revelation, Memory Driven, etc). This album is a lot better than the False Mystical Prose EP that was released in 2010, although that wasn't too bad either. Very gloomy stuff. Not for you "pot smokers", I suppose, heh. I urge interested people to check it out, though.

You had me sold at reminiscent of Warning.

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 am 

Baldrs wrote:

I forgot to mention, Cavity. Great stuff.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 am 

I felt compelled to recommend the new album Horrible Night by Moss since I haven't seen it mentioned much. I found out about a while after it's release so I hope it's not flying under everyone's radar =). The vocalist uses clean vocals now and he sounds amazing! Not a lot of variation in his voice but the vocal lines are great and fit the music perfect. A pleasant surprise indeed.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
I felt compelled to recommend the new album Horrible Night by Moss since I haven't seen it mentioned much. I found out about a while after it's release so I hope it's not flying under everyone's radar =). The vocalist uses clean vocals now and he sounds amazing! Not a lot of variation in his voice but the vocal lines are great and fit the music perfect. A pleasant surprise indeed.

How did they sound before? I liked what I've heard of the new album.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
Grimbeard wrote:

Great to hear, I've been spinning the new one like mad. The songs were longer on the other releases and the vocals were screamed from some terrifyng abyss.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:21 pm 

I really liked the new Moss too, the cover art is awesome
The new Blood Ceremony leaked, I'm spinning it. The first song is not very good so far, we'll see. it's a bit too soft.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm 

For the guy looking for Dopethrone-ish stuff:

Warhorse - their full length is one of my favorite stoner/doom albums for sure. Similar sort of vibe to that era of Electric Wizard, if a little more acid-ish:

For blatant E-Wiz worship, check out Lord of Doubts:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 am 

I liked new Funeral Circle. Reminded me of Solitude Aeternus at times. New Evangelist was boring though.. As for Gallow God, yes it is slow like Warning but minus the whine, which is good thing.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 am 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:

Old Moss was very different. Ultra slow riffs, growls, and an Lovecraftian atmosphere that sounded like the soundtrack of being dragged down to hell... slowly

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:34 am 

Looking for romantic themed Epic Doom. Think My Dying Bride but without the death metal.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 am 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
Looking for romantic themed Epic Doom. Think My Dying Bride but without the death metal.

Khthon may fulfill your needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfY3J293oA4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axr6IgajbJA

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am 

Oh my fucking God, balbulus, they did!
That was incredibly awesome and greatly moving. They are as tragic as MDB, I can't believe I'd never heard of this band.

Although looking at their MA page now, it turns out they haven't been active for long. "Asleep On Her Grave" and "Look Where She Lies" are songs right out of the My Dying Bride world.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:17 am 

Glad you like them, they're local to me and friends of mine!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 pm 

http://futurenoise.bandcamp.com/

Monolith Cult is pretty cool, I'm waiting for the debut!

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 am 

anyone can recommend some industrial doom bands in veins of P.H.O.B.O.S ? I already know zaraza and C R O W N. Anything else ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0V8aXUwTyU

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 133  Next