Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am 

Completely blown away by The Wandering Midget's I Am The Gate. I was a bit apprehensive going in that they might just be a Rev Biz clone...not the case, at all. They have some really interesting stuff going on, from the production to the style of songwriting. Everything sounds kind of raw and live, like you're right in the rehearsal room with them. They write songs in an interesting way, not afraid to insert some lighter passages and even becoming playful in some spots. Really loose and interesting. Oh, and the vocalist sounds like Jello Biafra doing an Albert Witchfinder impression.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

They have great riffs and distinctive vocals. The Serpent Coven is even better than I Am the Gate. Both would sound even better with an improved production though, something heavier and meatier that fits the music and brings out the doom. Maybe on the next release? There was talk about a 10" split with the equally great Garden of Worm. Whatever happened to that?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 pm 

I don't know man, I think for me personally the blown out and somewhat lightweight production is a major draw. It's almost too easy these days to throw on a big crunchy hulking guitar tone and then phone the rest in. These guys really know how to write heavy. You've got me exceptionally hyped up about The Serpent Coven though...especially if the production didn't take much of a step forward. I'm gonna have to track that one down ASAP.

Never heard of Garden of Worm, I'll look into them, thanks.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:21 pm 

Sure riffs and songwriting are what's most important but the right studio engineering will make a doom album even more enjoyable. The production can be retro but still be "heavy". Just look at Minotauri's debut album. That's one of the best production jobs on a doom album ever imo. And the songs are fantastic. A surprisingly overlooked band. Partially why they broke up I think. Few gave a shit.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:08 pm 

The last posts remind me of how long it's been since I've listened to The Wandering Midget and how I never gave I Am The Gate much of a listen. And also how I need to give Garden of Worm another try and get around to checking out Minotauri. I know what I'll be listening to tonight!

Some recent bits of noteworthy news: Wheel are recording their second album, The Wizar'd are recording a new album, Funeral Circle are recording their debut album. I'm pretty excited about all three!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 am 

This didn't get any attention in the FFA so I thought I might try again here, where things are a little more specific. I apologize if you already saw this, or if it wasn't given any attention because everyone else thinks it sucks hahah.
Jonpo wrote:
Any of you fine doom-minded (some ambient fans may want apply) gentleman up on this Velvet Robe nonsense? I read some buzzing about them on the NWN forums awhile back and just now caved to curiosity. There are a few samples on youtube. Seems to be really fucked up doom with some drone and ambient leanings. Utterly simple and primitive, going for pure mood above all else.

Predictably it was released as a "deluxe edition" tape to the number of 30 fucking copies. I'm keeping my eye on their labels website though, as I really want to snag a copy of the repress. I hope they choose to do a bigger run, even if it means leaving out the animal bones...

Velvet Robe - In Visible Shadow
Check it out if you're curious...I'm pretty sure a lot of people are going to hate it but something about this song is really working for me. Awesome sample usage.

Didn't expect them to have a bandcamp but here it is: http://velvetrobe.bandcamp.com Samples are teasing me further. I'm not too proud to admit that I may just want this because I can't have it right this second...but never the less I'd really like to snag a tape.

I think this album has quite a bit of potential and I sincerely hope it gets repressed in bigger numbers so some of us have a chance at grabbing one. This seems like incredibly atmospheric stuff, I can already imagine listening to it in pitch darkness with headphones on and just being enveloped by the whole thing...

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:54 am 

Just outta curiosity, is there any doom or stoner with a strong The Doors influence? Particularly vocals similar to Morrison's.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Just outta curiosity, is there any doom or stoner with a strong The Doors influence? Particularly vocals similar to Morrison's.

Not that I would call it strong but Fall of the Idols did have a certain Doors influence. The earlier stuff up until The Womb of the Earth. Check out that one and the compilation Ascension 2000-2007.
And speaking of doom and Doors. Has anyone heard the "Waiting for the Sun" cover by Spiritus Mortis? Wanted to hear that since it was released.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

Not that I would call it strong but Fall of the Idols did have a certain Doors influence. The earlier stuff up until The Womb of the Earth. Check out that one and the compilation Ascension 2000-2007.

Thanks dude. Will do.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:56 pm 

Greetings, was wondering if anyone could rec me something similar to mid 90's era Paradise Lost. Preferably clean vocals, dark atmosphere and melodies over chugging riffs, maybe some light synths or piano used in a similar fashion to that of songs like "Dying Freedom" or "Enchantment". I'm already aware of bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema, Katatonia, November's Doom, etc. Sorry if it's a bit of a broad request. Thanks in advance!
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:03 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

I think Witchcraft has some The Doors influences, very vintage doom, but you're probably aware of them already.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:12 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I think Witchcraft has some The Doors influences, very vintage doom, but you're probably aware of them already.

Know them, yes, but haven't thoroughly listened to their stuff, so I'll do it when I have the time. Thanks 'toine.

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm 

The Turbanator wrote:

Probably these :

Verwustung : http://youtu.be/Up6mk8mi6rg
Verwustung (latest album) : http://youtu.be/KNsnDmKBuw4
Sieghetnar : http://youtu.be/ysvaHmGKry0
Petrychor : http://youtu.be/MUZtULEa8Ps

All their songs are long though, and have pretty long intro except for the last link I posted. Hopefully these are what you're looking for? Sorry if they aren't, because they're most probably Atmospheric BM.

Yeah, those really aren't what I'm looking for. But thanks for the suggestions

Metantoine wrote:
Please for black metal or the likes, use the proper help thread.

For Witchfinder, I'll say that he's pretty unique, have you heard the latest Spiritus Mortis? But maybe the obvious ones like Count Raven, Solitude Aeternus or even Orodruin? I'll give more recs later, it's very late :)

I just mentioned the BM genres because when AoP get mentioned on here bands that sound nothing like them from those genres seem to get mentioned

Thanks. I've heard the first three, but its been years, so I'll have to recheck them. I'll also check out the last.

droneriot wrote:
It's a well-known fact that 99% of all metal fans think that everything with electronic elements is industrial.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:05 pm 

SUP GUYS
I'm getting back into sludge metal and need more bands in the vein of EYEHATEGOD. I'm looking for something catchy, simple, bluesy, fucked up and badass. I also like Iron Monkey, Buzzoven, and Mike Williams' vocals a lot if that helps.
i really dont want weed themed shit tho.
so any bands I should look up?
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

LiveForDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:35 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
SUP GUYS
I'm getting back into sludge metal and need more bands in the vein of EYEHATEGOD. I'm looking for something catchy, simple, bluesy, fucked up and badass. I also like Iron Monkey, Buzzoven, and Mike Williams' vocals a lot if that helps.

You know about Outlaw Order right?

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm 

LiveForDoom wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:
SUP GUYS

You know about Outlaw Order right?

yeah, i do.. good shit
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:45 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
SUP GUYS

I recommend Iron Witch, Moloch (the one from the UK), Starve, as well as Brainoil. Find out if anything suits your fancy.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:
SUP GUYS

I recommend Iron Witch, Moloch (the one from the UK), Starve, as well as Brainoil. Find out if anything suits your fancy.

I like Iron Withc so far
oh shit dude i totally forgot about Brainoil! found em a long while back!! great band

p0wnn00b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:46 am 

I'm looking for something as bleak and dark as Cathedral on Forest of Equilibrium, or maybe Ahab's debut. If it has a groove to it, even better.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:50 am 

p0wnn00b wrote:
I'm looking for something as bleak and dark as Cathedral on Forest of Equilibrium

Fall of the Idols - The Séance

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:26 am 

Suffersystem wrote:
SUP GUYS

Negative Reaction

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:54 pm 

Any recs for doom metal similar to Cathderal's first album, Pilgrim, Reverend Bizarre... Bands that are very slow but don't approach funeral doom, fairly far removed from more uptempo doom like Pentagram, not as "epic" as Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, not very stoner in nature, just pure doom?

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:51 am 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
Any recs for doom metal similar to Cathderal's first album, Pilgrim, Reverend Bizarre... Bands that are very slow but don't approach funeral doom, fairly far removed from more uptempo doom like Pentagram, not as "epic" as Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, not very stoner in nature, just pure doom?

I left you some recs in the other thread. Just in case you missed it.

Quote:
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:46 am 

I always rec Griftegard these days. Minotauri was also recommended by Sir Doomsday recently, great band. Also I've been rocking some good French doom including The Bottle Doom Lazy Band, Weird Light and Children of Doom. (Weird Light's demo is pretty rare on the internet, it's on Soulseek or I have it)

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:54 am 

Seconding Griftegard, The Wounded Kings and Procession, all excellent bands. I also recommed Fall Of The Idols:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvL56_negA

For a more doom/death take on the early Cathedral sound, check out Thy Grief Eternal (available on the "Pre Electric Wizard" album):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qae4TE1Svrc

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Weird Light

Heard "A Stare in the Dark" by that band? Just as awesome as the demo songs. As I said to you before, it's a damn shame they disbanded before recording an album.

As for Thashierthanthou's request. Get ahold of this album. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it's slow and not epic. Been a long time since I listened to the demo but I remember it being said it's better than the full-length so why not give that a try as well while you're at it.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am 

Definitely seconding Sevenchurch (above post). A fantastic and very unique band, and very much overlooked these days. The "Nefarious" demo is in my opinion better than the album, and is still available from their website.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am 

Thashierthanthou might also enjoy Horrors of the Black Museum. A French band with a unique sound.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:55 pm 

thx, u guis r teh bestest!!!

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:16 pm 

I'm tempted to correct your post, but nah...

Haven't heard the other Weird Light song, nor Rising Dust, I'll have to check it out!

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 am 

Okay so I know Hell from the US and Faustcoven from Norway, but I am hoping to find more bands that have a balance of both, whether it be black metal guitar styles in a doomy fashion or vice versa, as long as the vocals are black metal. Thanks

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 am 

I know that Barathrum have at least some tracks that would fit this. My experience with them is pretty limited, though.

Barathrum - Dark Sorceress (Autumn Siege)

And yes, I was turned onto this because of Reverend Bizarre's cover of it. :P

You also might want to check out The Ruins of Beverast's third album, Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite. It's got a slower, doomier feel to a fair bit of it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 am 

Yeah, Barathrum definitely mix in a healthy doom influence. Their first album focuses almost purely on atmosphere, it has a really fucked up depraved sound. Good, but not catchy. The second album sees them tightening up just a tad and getting a lot catchier. The bass has a really nasty distortion and plays a lead role for most of the songs. Really cool stuff.

You might also get a kick out of WAIL. They have a doomy vibe creeping through their conceptual debut album. It's more by way of Celtic Frost's slower moments than anything Sabbath or Vitus though. Worth giving a spin.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:45 pm 

ANNNND IM BACK
sup bitches? :-P
i think i really like blackened doom metal. I like Coffinworm, and i recently found Nyarlathotep in the promotional forum and I've been enjoying them quite a bit... but that's about it, i have like no blackened doom bands :c
help me out? :D
(bonus points for bands that are distinct, catchy, memorable, etc)

EDIT: should this be in the black metal help thread too?

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:14 pm 

Well you know, there's my band, everyone says it's pretty awesome, and the culture department of the city is planning on lifting a golden statue of my person, that's how good we are.

Jokes aside, check Bethlehem, the quintessential Black/Doom band in my opinion. Any of the first three albums, though Dark Metal is the best if you ask me.

Here's a sample from each of those first three albums. Each of them is quite different from the other, so you might not like one but love the other, give a try to all of them to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uet9Jhlareg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiNuZmvjbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTE7YINqcTk

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm 

garthmargengi wrote:
Well you know, there's my band, everyone says it's pretty awesome, and the culture department of the city is planning on lifting a golden statue of my person, that's how good we are.

Jokes aside, check Bethlehem, the quintessential Black/Doom band in my opinion. Any of the first three albums, though Dark Metal is the best if you ask me.

Here's a sample from each of those first three albums. Each of them is quite different from the other, so you might not like one but love the other, give a try to all of them to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uet9Jhlareg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiNuZmvjbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTE7YINqcTk

pfft whore.
jkjk I'll check your band out (i fucking love randomass underground bm bands that contain people on this site..)

EDIT: I really like your band so far. I downloaded that demo but then i got distracted by that awesome english death/doom band underneath the download link. good shit >D

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:23 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
ANNNND IM BACK
i think i really like blackened doom metal. I like Coffinworm, and i recently found Nyarlathotep in the promotional forum and I've been enjoying them quite a bit... but that's about it, i have like no blackened doom bands :c

Try this, pretty awesome album!

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 pm 

androdion wrote:
Suffersystem wrote:
ANNNND IM BACK

Try this, pretty awesome album!

8 seconds into the first track and its already cool!

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:37 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Yeah, Barathrum definitely mix in a healthy doom influence. Their first album focuses almost purely on atmosphere, it has a really fucked up depraved sound. Good, but not catchy. The second album sees them tightening up just a tad and getting a lot catchier. The bass has a really nasty distortion and plays a lead role for most of the songs. Really cool stuff.

You might also get a kick out of WAIL. They have a doomy vibe creeping through their conceptual debut album. It's more by way of Celtic Frost's slower moments than anything Sabbath or Vitus though. Worth giving a spin.

Vocalist for W.A.I.L. sounds like a filthier version of the vox from Acid Witch (which is great). I'm also a big atmosphere junkie so this is right up my alley. Barathrum are killer as well! Don't really see why they were rec'd based on what I have sampled, but I love this filth-laden hard-banging BM so much. Thanks for the recs.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:28 pm 

I've been getting really into Reverend Bizarre. Their first album in particular is legendary. Usually I'm not too crazy about stuff with SO MUCH repetition, but they make it work. I guess what I'm saying is, listen to Reverend Bizarre.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 133  Next