Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
... old Candlemass is just boss. So I guess that what I enjoy about those works is the mix of good riffs in a good measure with a really powerful singer on top. Guitar and bass work is the primary focus of what I'm after, as well as a charismatic singer.

Can't help you with the singer. I don't know any great ones in traditional doom except Messiah Marcolin. However, if you like the Candlemass-style riffs, Leif Edling had a band before Candlemass called Nemesis who put out an EP called The Day of Retribution. I used to have it on vinyl and it doesn't sound as thin as the YouTube version. It was re-released on CD around 1990.

Edling was also in Abstrakt Algebra. Very different from Candlemass. It sounds like a mix of power and doom metal to me. Good singer. A hugely underrated album, IMO.

The only other traditional doom album I know with the kind of groove Reverend Bizarre occasionally displays is Cathedral's The Ethereal Mirror.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:49 pm 

Church of Misery is about as good as (relatively) uptempo, groovy doom gets, in the last 15 years or so anyway. Their live show is absolutely pulverizing - when I saw them in Oakland, they played 7 songs in about 55 minutes and didn't bore me for a single second.

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 pm 

Smitty wrote:
androdion wrote:
... old Candlemass is just boss. So I guess that what I enjoy about those works is the mix of good riffs in a good measure with a really powerful singer on top. Guitar and bass work is the primary focus of what I'm after, as well as a charismatic singer.

Can't help you with the singer. I don't know any great ones in traditional doom except Messiah Marcolin. However, if you like the Candlemass-style riffs, Leif Edling had a band before Candlemass called Nemesis who put out an EP called The Day of Retribution. I used to have it on vinyl and it doesn't sound as thin as the YouTube version. It was re-released on CD around 1990.

Edling was also in Abstrakt Algebra. Very different from Candlemass. It sounds like a mix of power and doom metal to me. Good singer. A hugely underrated album, IMO.

The only other tradit
ional doom album I know with the kind of groove Reverend Bizarre occasionally displays is Cathedral's The Ethereal Mirror.

Seamount is the best equivalent Candlemass band for me guitar-wise The guitar is nice and fat but still clean, iusually mid-tempo songs with kiler riffs, the vocals are clean but totally different than candlemass really:
http://seamount.bandcamp.com/album/iii-sacrifice
This song just kicks so much ass:
[youtube]MQ-jJaNEHQM[/youtube]

I wish I liked Magic Circle's album more. The songs all blur together and vocalist gets really annoying.

dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm 

Smitty wrote:

Wow. Thanks for taking the time to put this list together.

Sure man. if it can cut down on wasted searching for you. I f'n love those bands. It took me some time to find all of them though they are popular.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:57 am 

What will you recommend similar to Tiamat - wildhoney ?

good to be with growl vocals

Last edited by Murtal on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:03 am 

Even though doom metal is one of my favorite metal sub-genres, one thing that really disappoints me is how infrequently bands that so unabashedly take influence from Sabbath don't do those high pitched guitar fills, such as with the verses of War Pigs and N.I.B., and the bridge of Behind the Wall of Sleep. Anybody got any bands/songs/albums from the doom genre that do that? I'd prefer traditional, stoner, and retro doom the most, but go ahead and recommend me things of other doom sub-genres if they fit the rest of the criteria.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 am 

@ Smitty / dragonclaw7 - Thanks for the recs, and I'm sorry I could only reply now but I've been AFK for an entire week. I'll check out those bands you guys recommended and come back with some feedback later on. ;)

Murtal wrote:
What will you recommend similar to Tiamat - wildhoney ?

good to be with growl vocals

Wildhoney with growls?! Only thing I can think about is albums more in line with The Astral Sleep, but that throws the psychedelia out of the window.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 am 

Quote:
Wildhoney with growls?! Only thing I can think about is albums more in line with The Astral Sleep, but that throws the psychedelia out of the window.

There's little growl in this song. :D

except this,advice albums similar to wildhoney.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:51 am 

- Nemesis sounds good guitar wise, but a bit too proto-Candlemass (which it is, duh). Plus, I'm glad Leif decided to hire someone better to actually sing. :D

- Abstrakt Algebra is weird, and while at some points Leif's riffing style can still be recognized the songs are very bizarre. The genre tag made me scratch my head while some of the songs I listened to made me nearly rip out my scalp with the scratching intensity increasing immensely. Sorry, that seems to be a bit too weird for me.

- It's funny that you recommended Cathedral to me, because honestly I've never been that much of a fan of the band's work. I don't know, it was never the kind of thing that stuck with me. Curiously though that album sounded pretty darn good if you ask me, so I guess I'll need to reassess my long time (absent) relationship with Lee's band.

- Seamount sounds decent but I've never been too keen on Phil Swanson's vocals. There's something about his tone that almost annoys me, and as such I can't seem to take much enjoyment out of the music.

Thanks again! ;)

Mutterficker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:21 pm 

Watching From A Distance-era Warning is the new thing I'm into, but I'm still keeping it to clean vocals with no death metal influences. So basically uber depressive epic doom metal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 pm 

Mutterficker wrote:
Watching From A Distance-era Warning is the new thing I'm into, but I'm still keeping it to clean vocals with no death metal influences. So basically uber depressive epic doom metal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cross Vault, Gallow God, Fall of the Idols, Pallbearer, Griftegård.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:23 pm 

And don't forget Sadhak!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:14 pm 

androdion wrote:
It's funny that you recommended Cathedral to me, because honestly I've never been that much of a fan of the band's work. I don't know, it was never the kind of thing that stuck with me. Curiously though that album sounded pretty darn good if you ask me, so I guess I'll need to reassess my long time (absent) relationship with Lee's band

Yeah, their other albums are slower and not that groovy. But this one is very catchy and I still play it regularly twenty years after I bought it. That's lasting power.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:00 am 

Mutterficker wrote:

In addition to what's already been mentioned, give The River, Unsilence and (especially early) While Heaven Wept a try as well.

And maybe Red House Painters' Down Colorful Hill ;)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:10 pm 

The new Karma to Burn has a fucking awesome cover art inspired by Sergio Leone!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:26 pm 

Gotta say that the new Serpent Venom and Purple Hill Witch albums are both really solid. The Church Within usually releases a clunker here and there but they've been on a roll since Beelzefuzz S/T. Kudos to them. Purple's slightly psychedelic doom brings to mind Pale Divine and Blood Farmers, and I think I prefer that over Serpent Venom's more straightforward doom. But check out both releases!

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:30 am 

Quote:

I don't know if it's depressive enough, but Wounded Kings' 'Consolamentum' is quite possibly the best doom album (of any subgenre) I've heard this year. Riffs as thick and heavy as Electric Wizard with fairly mournful-sounding female clean vocals. Also maybe 'Angel...'/'Like Gods...' era My Dying Bride, though I need to familiarize myself with that stuff some more as well - but from what I remember 'Like Gods...' has no growls at all, albeit Stainthorpe isn't the most pleasant or tuneful clean vocalist.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 am 

Just listened to this album Consolamentum right now. The nearest band from Electric Wizard in terms of instruments I've ever listened too. I see they're related to the band Ishmael. That's some underground pedigree. Just loved the few I've listened off their album "Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here". I should look it further though, and I recommend all appreciators of, say, Bell Witch.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am 

For some reason that Wounded Kings singer's voice really irritates me and I found the two albums she fronts to be pretty disappointing after the great debut and phenomenal sophomore. I'm glad George is back on vocal duties and look forward to new material.

If you haven't heard the first two, do yourself a favor and check them out.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 am 

For sure. I don't mind her voice at all, but I am curious to hear some of the stuff with their original singer.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 am 

Wait, the original The Wounded Kings singer is back? Oh thank god. I absolutely love The Shadow Over Atlantis, and was pretty crushed when the original singer left.

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
For sure. I don't mind her voice at all, but I am curious to hear some of the stuff with their original singer.

Please do so. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOIti3TFs08 once again youtube doesn't do it justice, but ah well.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am 

He is back! I'm not sure exactly what the songwriting process was like for those first two albums, but George also played guitar on those and contributed lyrics, so hopefully that will mean the band will get back on track after the two kind of dull most recent albums.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am 

George Birch is back!? That's awesome. Can't wait for the real follow-up to The Shadow Over Atlantis. It has gradually developed into one of my all time favourites.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am 

Hey guys, posted this in the BM thread, but it may do better here.

Looking for oppressive, sludgey, and relatively catchy stuff like Ride For Revenge. This track in particular is what I'm after. the intro ends 8mins in.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Hey guys, posted this in the BM thread, but it may do better here.

Looking for oppressive, sludgey, and relatively catchy stuff like Ride For Revenge. This track in particular is what I'm after. the intro ends 8mins in.

Try some Horse Latitudes.

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 am 

Smitty wrote:
After being taken to task on another part of this site for stating "new doom travels at a snail's pace", I'm here looking for some that doesn't...

I've gone back quite a few pages here and haven't heard anything that fits the bill. So what do you have in the way of some mid-tempo (relatively speaking), high quality doom?

Thanks

Check out Kypck (Kursk) for a refreshing take on the genre.
they are finnish but sing in russian about soviet history and war, so if you like that kind of cold atmosphere give them a try.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm 

Long time since someone posted in this thread, relatively speaking. Lucifer's Fall's debut album is out now! Digitally at least. Try it if you love Finnish doom. At least The Wandering Midget, Caskets Open, and maybe Reverend Bizarre ca Slice of Doom-era. Awesome sound, if you ask me!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 am 

One of the best doom album of the year, that's for sure!

http://lucifersfall.bandcamp.com/

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:11 am 

I just finished reading your review for it Tony! Pretty high praise my man, I'm gonna have to check them out. I've been in a bit of a doomy mood today anyways, listened to Be Forewarned on the way into work. I'm thinking Cathedral is up next.

Damn it I always forget bandcamp is blocked at work.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 pm 

Alright so I finally got around to sampling Lucifer's Fall. The vocals are astoundingly great. So good. The opening of the second track where he just rips into the song with that scream....I was smitten instantly. But that's about it for me, unfortunately. It took me three songs before I finally got beyond the vocals and realized the rest was kind of boring to me. I'm gonna give it a little space and come back to it to be sure, but I think more than anything I'd love to hear this vocalist in a different band.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'd love to hear this vocalist in a different band.

...like Rote Mare?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am 

I'm going to say no, just as a kneejerk reaction to their song/album lengths. I'm trying to sample The Kingdom though, to be sure. I do actually find this a bit more engaging than Lucifer's Fall but there's still just a lot of really boring riffs to me.

I didn't realize he was the guitarist/songwriter behind these bands as well. I guess there's no separating his voice from the rest of it.

edit: Alright I'll admit I've been thinking about Rote Mare all day now. Something about the sound got to me. It seems like he actually excels at making these ridiculously long songs/albums. The few shorter songs I heard weren't that great. I guess he really needs some room to stretch out. I ended up listening to all of The Kingdom, gonna try The Invocation next I think. It's good background noise at work but I'm not sure how well it would do with my full focus.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Alright I'll admit I've been thinking about Rote Mare all day now. Something about the sound got to me. It seems like he actually excels at making these ridiculously long songs/albums. The few shorter songs I heard weren't that great. I guess he really needs some room to stretch out. I ended up listening to all of The Kingdom, gonna try The Invocation next I think. It's good background noise at work but I'm not sure how well it would do with my full focus.

You know, I have the exact opposite opinion. He's not very good at writing long doom songs. He excels at the shorter, more direct stuff. So for me Lucifer's Fall is a much better band/project than Rote Mare. Then again, songs like "Lucifer's Fall" and "Deceiver" remind me of songs I already love. Reverend Bizarre's "Blood on Satan's Claw" and The Wandering Midget's "Prince of Fire" (one of those riffs sounds almost identical), respectively. Yeah, Lucifer's Fall might feel like a tribute band at this point but Phil and the other guy do it so well, so I'm not complaining. Their debut is one of my favorite doom releases of the year. It's catchy and hits all the right spots.

Edit: Just realized something... Blood on Satan's Claw, Prince of Fire, Lucifer's Fall - it's all so satanic! Everything is connected, perhaps, heh. Oh, whatever.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 pm 

Wow I didn't realize the Reverend had a Blood on Satan's Claw too! My favorite will eternally be from The Lamp of Thoth. The riff kills and the chorus is just so much childish fun to shout.

I want to get more into The Wandering Midget. I still only have I Am The Gate but the stuff I've heard from Opium Dreams sounds like they really stretched their legs out and found themselves. I don't mind super long songs when there's only four of them.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I want to get more into The Wandering Midget. I still only have I Am The Gate but the stuff I've heard from Opium Dreams sounds like they really stretched their legs out and found themselves. I don't mind super long songs when there's only four of them.

Temples in the Sky from Opium Dreams is my favorite doom metal song of 2012 for sure. You've definitely gotta check more of their stuff out!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:17 am 

Jonpo wrote:
My favorite will eternally be from The Lamp of Thoth. The riff kills and the chorus is just so much childish fun to shout.

Reverend's is my favorite forever but I agree Thoth's version is fun. It's so stupid but Simon of Thoth/Arkham Witch always had a humorous side.

I would recommend The Serpent Coven before From the Meadows of Opium Dreams when it comes to Midget. Opium Dreams isn't very successful, to be honest. Prince of Fire got me super hyped but the longer songs could have been better. It's funny how the songwriter Wormius isn't a Reverend Bizarre fan but still he tries to write these epic 20 minute songs.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm 

I'm looking for really heavy stoner doom with a super thick and low guitar tone and very hazy and dense production. Only bands that come to mind at the moment for what I want is Electric Wizard circa Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone, and Conan (especially Horseback Battle Hammer). Also, I would prefer (fairly) clean vocals. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mike40k on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 pm 

Have you checked Monolord? I guess fellow Swedes Saturnalia Temple and Ocean Chief could work too.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:34 pm 

Just checked those three bands out. Pretty good, though I'd prefer something with a bit more hazy production.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:49 pm 

mike40k wrote:
I'm looking for really heavy stoner doom with a super thick and low guitar tone and very hazy and dense production. Only bands that come to mind at the moment for what I want is Electric Wizard circa Come My Fanatics and Dopethrone, and Conan (especially Horseback Battle Hammer). Also, I would prefer (fairly) clean vocals. Any suggestions?

You need to check out Coltsblood. Formed by ex-Conan member John McNulty. They released their debut full-length back in march. Way way better than that new monotonous Conan album.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 133  Next