Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:08 am 

Doomsday wrote:
I highly recommend Spillage to everyone who likes Chicago doom metal. I think the band described their music better than I ever could with "Taking the best qualities of early Judas Priest & Uriah Heep, and mixing it with Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions, and a good dose of Chicago doom". Bruce Franklin of Trouble produced the album.

Good stuff! Didn't hear much UJR Scorpions in there though, which I would've really liked to...

HeaStorgHarOld
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:50 pm 

Hey!

I'm looking for a band that sounds closest to those two vids played together (adjusting the volume so as to to balance levels).

Hint: Three Monks albums don't qualify as they don't really merge organ tapestries into slow overwhelming stoner impulse

Anyway I wish you'll have as great a time listening to those two vids as I do !!...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 am 

Maligno, a doom band from Mexico that I like, has recently put up a new song from their upcoming fourth album:

https://www.facebook.com/malignodoom/posts/10153195081199821

I don't know what to make of it. The guitar style is very different then what was representative of their previous three albums. Example:

The songs from their old albums tend to rely a lot on groove, which is a lot different from the new one. The reason for the difference is obvious. The first three albums all had the same line-up, including guitarists Zef Vega and Ivan Tamez. This new one has neither, but a new guy named either Dave Coral or David Cordero (depending on whether you want to go by their facebook page or by MA).

This new song is a lot more energetic than I'm used to from these guys, which is fine, but the riffs generally feel pretty generic. Often it's like something I would've come up with myself, had riff influences stayed nobody but Iommi, Paige, and Hetfield, and also while I didn't have much experience, and not coming up with great stuff. On the plus side in regards to the guitars: I do like the riff that comes in at about 2:35-2:40, the solo was good, and actually a lot more what I like compared to the solos from the old guitarists. And, as some of you may remember (or not), I posted in this thread some time ago asking for doom bands that put high pitched guitar notes (such as unison bends) in outside of the soloing, as Iommi did a lot in Sabbath's early days. Well, there is that in this song.

Other than the guitars, I liked the production of the song, and I really liked the singing and the drums, both of which are things I never found at all noteworthy on any of their former albums. So that's good. So the only thing that's worrying me are the guitar riffs, but that's such a huge part of old school doom, it could really make or break the album.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:14 am 

^ It doesn't sound much different from their previous stuff. Just a lot more stoner and Hispanic.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 am 

Can anyone recommend me something like this, doom/stoner/sludge/shoegaze/whatever

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:48 am 

^ The latest output from Lantlos, Melting Sun which is one of my favourite releases of last year has a definite psychedelic sludge/doom-gaze sort of atmosphere throughout although it's way more uplifting and kaleidoscopic than depressing. Although I've came across King Woman's album premiere on Invisible Oranges I didn't give it a try but based on the song you've posted it's quite similar to latest Lantlos (minus the exaggerated female vocals which is unfortunately not my cup of tea).

Otherwise, Jesu (side project of Justin K. Broadrick of Godflesh) is an obvious candidate.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:49 am 

Familiar with both bands. Not looking for this type of soft clean male vocals. Also I'd prefer something a bit more hazy. I like both bands but I was thinking about something noisier and heavier preferably with a more desperate sounding vocals

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 am 

Maybe the underrated psychedelic noise/doom wizards Suma from Sweden? Not exactly what you're looking for but they have this sort of hallucinatory ambient/psychedelic leanings cooked up with noise-driven doom/sludge.

Last.fm

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:45 pm 

doomster999 wrote:

what are some bands with a very very very similar instrumental style but a different kind of voice? (I'm not sure what different I want so just drop any kind of different voice, no Ozzy voice style though) - any kind of metal genre not just this thread related ones

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:27 am 

projectfear22 wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

what are some bands with a very very very similar instrumental style but a different kind of voice? (I'm not sure what different I want so just drop any kind of different voice, no Ozzy voice style though) - any kind of metal genre not just this thread related ones

You mean considerably faster, thrashier stoner/doom? Well, check out the followings:

High on Fire

Down

Corrosion of Conformity. Blind - Wiseblood era.

Horn of the Rhino

Trouble. Upto the 1990 s/t album. Less stoner than the previous lot but they began to incorporate more stoner and psychedelic elements in their later releases.

Dream Death. No stoner here either. Early Celtic Frost inspired doom/death/thrash. A direct influence to Cathedral's early sound as well.

Last.fm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:38 am 

Not sure what I was hearing the first time around, maybe it just sounded weird after Aktor, but Crypt Sermon seems to rule. I didn't quite get to spin the whole thing on the way into work this morning but I was getting into it. It kinda sounds like Candlemass fronted by Dio.

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:01 am 

doomster999 wrote:

You mean considerably faster, thrashier stoner/doom? Well, check out the followings:

High on Fire

Down

Corrosion of Conformity. Blind - Wiseblood era.

Horn of the Rhino

Trouble. Upto the 1990 s/t album. Less stoner than the previous lot but they began to incorporate more stoner and psychedelic elements in their later releases.

Dream Death. No stoner here either. Early Celtic Frost inspired doom/death/thrash. A direct influence to Cathedral's early sound as well.

OH YEY thank you so much for so much suggestions :D

Does Horn of The Rhino have some songs which sound like the one you suggested but the vocals aren't in the background (if you get what I mean)

and Does Dream Death have more songs like the one suggested but that don't sound old?

p.s. always open for more suggestions so keep 'em coming if you know more :D

oh yey

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:41 am 

Yea, Dream Death released the follow up to their classic debut a couple of years back. It has a much more contemporary production.

projectfear22 wrote:
Does Horn of The Rhino have some songs which sound like the one you suggested but the vocals aren't in the background (if you get what I mean)

Didn't quite get what you mean by that, are you trying to say that the vocals are kinda buried in the overall mix?

Last.fm

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:17 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Maybe the underrated psychedelic noise/doom wizards Suma from Sweden? Not exactly what you're looking for but they have this sort of hallucinatory ambient/psychedelic leanings cooked up with noise-driven doom/sludge.

I like their sound. Vocals will need a little getting used to but I like the droney compositions.

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Yea, Dream Death released the follow up to their classic debut a couple of years back. It has a much more contemporary production.

projectfear22 wrote:

Didn't quite get what you mean by that, are you trying to say that the vocals are kinda buried in the overall mix?

Oh well the older Dream Death song sounds much better, guess it takes a little getting used to and old sound will be better

As for Rhino, I have no idea lol but let's go with what you said

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:23 am 

@projectfear22 You might enjoy Triptykon. They fit quite well within your preferences. Of course if you're not familiar with Tom G. Warrior and his ventures already you might want to give it a shot.

Horn of the Rhino's slower, more dense songs feature entirely clean singing, if that's what you were really trying to say but those songs are mostly slower and sludgy throughout quite similar to early Soundgarden (Louder than Love), especially Javier's vocals. Here's a sample:

Last.fm

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 am 

doomster999 wrote:
@projectfear22 You might enjoy Triptykon. They fit quite well within your preferences. Of course if you're not familiar with Tom G. Warrior and his ventures already you might want to give it a shot.

Horn of the Rhino's slower, more dense songs feature entirely clean singing, if that's what you were really trying to say but those songs are mostly slower and sludgy throughout quite similar to early Soundgarden (Louder than Love), especially Javier's vocals. Here's a sample:

Triptykon is a no for me
And that song by Horn of The Rhino sounds so amazing but I wanted something where the vocals aren't under the instrumentals, it (on the first song) kinda sounds like the vocalist is singing from a hole or it's an echo rather than a real voice. Though I'm starting to like it now, but keep suggesting pls xD

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:28 am 

^ Are you writing Triptykon off based on just one song? I thought their faster more thrashier tunes would satisfy your tastebuds, hmm...peculiar.

Last.fm

projectfear22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:25 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
^ Are you writing Triptykon off based on just one song? I thought their faster more thrashier tunes would satisfy your tastebuds, hmm...peculiar.

Nah not writing them off but just saying the particular song is a no, "I thought their faster more thrashier tunes would satisfy your tastebuds" well you suggest and I pick, it's not like I can listen to any song just cause of the speed :P so far everything was excellent

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:15 am 

I just heard this stoner metal band Bionic Cavemen play when I went to go see Valkyrie tonight. I thought they seemed like something Metantoine might like. I think they were playing a lot of new stuff because the whole set sounded more like the tracks "Pig Blood", "The 77" and "Hide" then anything else on this album.
https://bioniccavemen.bandcamp.com/album/predator

They weren't listed in the archives yet so I submitted them.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 am 

^ Not even close to being (stoner) metal. Bluesy hard rock, more like. Pretty decent though.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:33 am 

Well they may be changing musical direction. because what I heard live sounded to me like southern rock/stoner metal. I still think a few of those tracks on the album sound metal-ish.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 pm 

Pretty cool but I don't think it's metal either, I mean Kadavar are heavier. Pretty jealous you saw Valkyrie though, Shadows is an awesome record.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 am 

You would have really enjoyed the show then, they played everything off Shadows plus a few from the other albums. I actually would have preferred some more stuff from Man Of Two Visions but other then that no complaints it was a great show.

HeaStorgHarOld
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:13 pm 

Wytchcrypt I'm really fond !

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz35HbgoYTvWEPsYM7emVJrS

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 am 

Finally, something new from Australia's Zodiac. This time a cassette EP through Heavy Chains Records. Great trad doom, perhaps falling more into the epic category than before.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Maligno, a doom band from Mexico that I like, has recently put up a new song from their upcoming fourth album:

https://www.facebook.com/malignodoom/posts/10153195081199821

I don't know what to make of it. The guitar style is very different then what was representative of their previous three albums. Example:

The songs from their old albums tend to rely a lot on groove, which is a lot different from the new one. The reason for the difference is obvious. The first three albums all had the same line-up, including guitarists Zef Vega and Ivan Tamez. This new one has neither, but a new guy named either Dave Coral or David Cordero (depending on whether you want to go by their facebook page or by MA).

This new song is a lot more energetic than I'm used to from these guys, which is fine, but the riffs generally feel pretty generic. Often it's like something I would've come up with myself, had riff influences stayed nobody but Iommi, Paige, and Hetfield, and also while I didn't have much experience, and not coming up with great stuff. On the plus side in regards to the guitars: I do like the riff that comes in at about 2:35-2:40, the solo was good, and actually a lot more what I like compared to the solos from the old guitarists. And, as some of you may remember (or not), I posted in this thread some time ago asking for doom bands that put high pitched guitar notes (such as unison bends) in outside of the soloing, as Iommi did a lot in Sabbath's early days. Well, there is that in this song.

Other than the guitars, I liked the production of the song, and I really liked the singing and the drums, both of which are things I never found at all noteworthy on any of their former albums. So that's good. So the only thing that's worrying me are the guitar riffs, but that's such a huge part of old school doom, it could really make or break the album.

Another new song from the upcoming Maligno album. Pretty good.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:45 pm 

New doom from:

New tracks from Magic Circle's upcoming album "Journey Blind":

Some previews from Lee Dorrian's new project With the Dead:

Pretty excited for both, MC's first track is way catchier than their first album and the 2nd is more in line with it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:47 pm 

Album art of the year? Also, one of the best doom of the year!

LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 pm 

Guys I'm looking for some sludge/doom similar to Nile - Eat of the Dead. I know that isn't exactly doom, but I really want to hear something with that "bendy" riff style that is so prevalent on that song. So basically any bands you can think of who utilize super slow tremolo riffs or heavy bending. Also, the more dirty the better (I realize Nile guitar tone is very clean) , super nasty guitar tone and all.

Eat of the Dead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXetSYjZ5Vg

That riff at 2:50..... anything like that.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Cool singing and epic riffs! 'Slaying Apophis' for some reason reminds me of the Dark Tower books.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm 

Crypt Sermon rule. The first time I played it I just couldn't get into it for some reason, maybe going from faster stuff to that hurt me. They definitely love some Candlemass but I don't think they have the same commitment to destroying you with riffs. They get their atmosphere workin'. I think everyone's favorite is Into the Holy of Holies and I can't really deny that tune. I love The Master's Bouquet for some reason though.

I'm glad it not only clicked but has become something I'm really into.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm 

I liked Crypt Sermon and I gave them a positive review but they have the Sorcerer symptom, aka "epic doom influenced only by Candlemass and Solitude Aeternus" and I doubt I'll go back to the album when I'm in dire need of doom, bands like the two I posted above (Magic Circle, Magister Templi) are more original while still keeping it trad doom, ya dig?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 pm 

I tend to agree about Crypt Sermon. I got kind of caught up in the hype and liked the first go, but once the fever broke, I didn't really return to them.

And dope as fuck Magister Templi art for sure. .. though I wish the band/album name were handled better. I shrug.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 am 

Thankfully it's been the exact opposite for me with Crypt Sermon. I went in with huge expectations and was initially let down. Shelved it for a few weeks and came back to it fresh, ended up really loving it.

I need to check out the Circle bands. Magic and Funeral. I've been waiting on Funeral Circle until they put out an EP or LP or something with JP that I can sink my teeth into.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

I've come across their debut previously but didn't check it out. The artwork seems cool but "Slaying Apophis" kind of sounds mediocre to me although the approach is certainly interesting, early Trouble, MF and the vocals sound like a more dynamic Bobby Liebling. I don't think it can rival the songwriting prowess of Out of the Garden for epic doom release of the year, let alone doom.

Last.fm

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:10 am 

Pretty keen to see how this With The Dead thing works out :nods:

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
Pretty keen to see how this With The Dead thing works out :nods:

Oh yea, definitely looking forward to WtD. I think it's gonna be somewhere between early/later Celtic Frost/Triptykon and Cathedral.

Last.fm

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:48 am 

If it sounds similar to Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, Ramesses or Electric Wizard I'll be very happy.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 pm 

Sounds like Cathedral but way more stoner. It will be excellent, Lee for the win.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 133  Next