Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:32 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
How about that, Black Oath's third album To Below and Beyond has finally been released. Digitally anyway. I expect great things.

Thanks for the heads up! Just listened, really good stuff.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:08 pm 

I'm looking for some really good psychedelic/stoner doom metal that isn't instrumental. Something like Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom with vocals. Any band similar to Acid Witch would be great too.

I'm also trying to remember the name of a stoner rock/doom type band out of Spring, TX. I don't remember much outside of like a 45 minute song that was really good shit.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:40 pm 

WillyB wrote:

I'm also trying to remember the name of a stoner rock/doom type band out of Spring, TX. I don't remember much outside of like a 45 minute song that was really good shit.

Searching for a location of Texas, the best I could come up with are:

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cardinale/31%3A13/109961
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Canyon_of_the_Skull/Demo_2007/308548
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Thunderkief/Hemperor%3A_Live_at_the_29th_Street_Ballroom/362263

epicone1z
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 pm 

Bands like Thou in guitar and lyrical concepts?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:46 am 

WillyB wrote:
I'm looking for some really good psychedelic/stoner doom metal that isn't instrumental.

St:Erik, Zaum, Ufommamut; these three are among the best; there must be a bunch of others to be recommended as Stoner doom is psychedelic per se, it's just a question of dosis.
Note that they are nothing like Acid Witch though, nothing grotesque and groovy...

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 am 

WillyB wrote:
I'm looking for some really good psychedelic/stoner doom metal that isn't instrumental. Something like Bongripper's Satan Worshipping Doom with vocals. Any band similar to Acid Witch would be great too.

^^^^^^^^

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:23 am 

Saturnalia Temple are a little bit like Ufommamut I suppose, people seem to hate the vocals though, I like them.

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:20 am 

I'm looking for at least one other Doom Metal/Stoner band that features vocals similar to the band 'Witch'...
or even just a vocalist that sounds out of the ordinary in general, as far as his vocal style goes.
I seem to hear the same things over and over in this genre, and I love it, but my favorites tend to be bands that have something different or unusual about them. I absolutely love the brash, higher pitched tone of Witch's vocals, so I figured that would be my best example to offer.
Can anyone help?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:22 pm 

If Witch's singer isn't actually a woman, the imitation is striking.

Check out any female-fronted trad doom band for the same kind of high-pitched vocals, this would be my rec.

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:55 pm 

djcampblood wrote:
I'm looking for at least one other Doom Metal/Stoner band that features vocals similar to the band 'Witch'...
or even just a vocalist that sounds out of the ordinary in general, as far as his vocal style goes.
I seem to hear the same things over and over in this genre, and I love it, but my favorites tend to be bands that have something different or unusual about them. I absolutely love the brash, higher pitched tone of Witch's vocals, so I figured that would be my best example to offer.
Can anyone help?

Check out Spacegoat. An actual female but nonetheless pretty much fits your description, and the music is great. Unfortunately only an EP so far but apparently they've just finished an Indiegogo campaign to finish their debut full-length (even if it didn't quite reach their target - they obviously need more support!), so with hope :P

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:37 pm 

I have been in love with the album Extinction of Humanity by Mammoth Grinder. I am looking for similar stuff. By similar stuff what I mean is, there are occasional slower, almost doomy sections in Extinction of Humanity BUT they NEVER have a bluesy feel to them; that sort of Sabbath influence has been completely divorced from the band's style. Or in short, I am looking for doomy stuff without the bluesy feel aka Doom but not Sabbath doom.

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:11 am 

nice, I'll be sure to check them out, teh_Foxx0rz.
I enjoy a lot of the female fronted bands from the hardcore/punk world and it's many sub-genres, so I'm sure I'll have no trouble enjoying it within the Doom genre.
I personally enjoy the very fact that Witch's vocals DO come from a male, and I don't see how they could ever be mistaken for a women at all, but that's my opinion. It's just a strange, brash tone that's on the higher side, not female-like per se.
The vocalist/guitarist comes from a more indie/neo-folk background (Feathers, King Tuff) and the drummer actually was the guitarist for indie rock legends Dinosaur Jr., believe it or not, so Witch is definitely not your typical Doom band, which is reflected in their sound, too.
But that's precisely what appeals to me, the fact that they do their own thing in a very traditional genre, while at the same type they clearly love their Witchfinder General and Sabbath.
So, still, I put forth the question; is there anything along the lines of Witch in the vast world of Doom Metal? Other recommendations would still be appreciated :)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:05 am 

djcampblood wrote:
So, still, I put forth the question; is there anything along the lines of Witch in the vast world of Doom Metal? Other recommendations would still be appreciated :)

I hate the band, but here's one other emasculated doom singer whose vocal range fits your request:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGqZwkm_b8Q

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 am 

Hahah, wow, that A. was the worst thing I've ever heard and B. doesn't even remotely fit my description at all. I figured it would be bad when the sentence started with "I hate the band, but..."
At least I got to laugh a little! Never a bad thing.
Oddly, it seems we're getting a little hung up on the higher pitched thing. Witch's vocals aren't even super high, its the tone--and its brash delivery--that makes it strange & cool, not it's falsetto-ness (which its not, actually.. definitely tenor, if anything, and clearly male.) I just wanna find another band with that kinda unearthly vibe vocally. And preferably male, even though female-fronted stuff is cool, I don't like it as much in doom metal. Works better for Thrash and Hardcore, in my opinion.
Black Rainbows from Italy is really good, too, and they're not quite as weird as Witch, but that could be another example, I guess. Theres gotta be SOMETHING closer to Witch, though, somewhere.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:06 pm 

Ok, ok...:D

I've browsed through the whole album and it's true his voice does show some penis power at times. There're female singers outthere whose voice has enough male tones to them to sound rather alike though... He sounds more like some... frogman or something than like a woman, truth be told. Something really weird...

There's The Wounded King's singer who is, I really think so, much better (and definitely more masculine!) but still displays a peculiar tone that might be to your taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtgZjWCctk

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 am 

The guy in Uncle Acid might be mistaken as a chick first

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm 

Yeah, this sounds cool, Morphine1873, (The Wounded Kings) based on this one track. I'll get my hands on this Shadow Over Atlantis album and listen more, only then can I make an informed judgement, anyway. But I like the eerie vibe this song gives off. I appreciate the recommendation.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:19 am 

djcampblood wrote:
Yeah, this sounds cool, Morphine1873, (The Wounded Kings) based on this one track. I'll get my hands on this Shadow Over Atlantis album and listen more, only then can I make an informed judgement, anyway. But I like the eerie vibe this song gives off. I appreciate the recommendation.

His name is Birch, he's part of the band up until the split they did with Cough (very worthwhile too). After that, they swapped him for a female singer and they lost their most peculiar feature with him. I've heard he should come back on the new one though.

if you like that kind of chanted vocals, maybe you'll find some interest in Orthodox too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMecEbPCv8

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:57 pm 

I have been in love with the album Extinction of Humanity by Mammoth Grinder. I am looking for similar stuff. By similar stuff what I mean is, there are occasional slower, almost doomy sections in Extinction of Humanity BUT they NEVER have a bluesy feel to them; that sort of Sabbath influence has been completely divorced from the band's style. Or in short, I am looking for doomy stuff without the bluesy feel aka Doom but not Sabbath doom.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:20 am 

Listened to the new Magic Circle, and it is really good. I think what I like best about it, is there are lots of nods to Sabbath's faster, groovier parts circa Master of Reality-Vol 4.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:01 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Listened to the new Magic Circle, and it is really good. I think what I like best about it, is there are lots of nods to Sabbath's faster, groovier parts circa Master of Reality-Vol 4.

I liked it but less than the debut. I think MC are at their best when they're slower and this new one is faster. The title track is fucking great though and I'll keep listening to the album and it will obviously grow on me. Now if only Radigan could release new Stone Dagger stuff.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:15 pm 

I gave the new Magic Circle a listen the other day and can't really remember a ton. To be fair, I ended up not being the biggest fan of the debut despite looking forward to it. I can't really say what my issue with them is. On the other hand, I was totally into Stone Dagger, so I'm definitely with you there on hoping that more stuff is to come by them, Metantoine.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:35 am 

Recommend me. The. Most. Extreme. Crushing. Evil. Motherfucking. Doom. Ever.

Oh yeah, I love Conan's 'Horseback Battle Hammer'.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:48 am 

Monolord? Ocean Chief? It's crushing if nothing else.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:56 am 

I'd say Abysmal grief is prob one of the more actually "evil" doom bands but i don't think doom gets that evil much to begin with.
Crushing well, check out the with the dead album if you haven't yet. Prob the heaviest album of this year.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:57 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

many in the Sludge/post doom scene:

Funerary
Sea of Bones
Buried at Sea
Deveikuth
Atavist
Stumm
Servants of the Mist
UR
etc...

You can also investigate the indus doom scene with particularly PHOBOS and Author & Punisher (I think those two gather all the criteria you're after)

Then the funeral doom scene with Hierophant, Catacombs, Tyranny, UDOM and Funeralium

Lots to listen to!

ps: give immediately a try to Halo/Body of light; we'll see if I got you right... ;)

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 am 

I'm aware of the "top" doom bands, but I feel lost within the genre. Would someone mind putting together a starter pack of essential doom bands/songs/whatever?

Some of the stuff I like:

Count Raven - The Poltergeist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKP6IWZThE

Sorcerer - In the Shadow of the Inverted Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASvvAL_FFc

Reverend Bizarre - Cromwell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY8u3P_hsyo

NYMF - Like A Giant Orange Sun (This is listed as stoner, but whatever)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-8RWu_-Wyg

Lord Vicar - The Answer
Arkham Witch - We're From Keighley

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:56 am 

z
Morphine1873 wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

many in the Sludge/post doom scene:

Funerary
Sea of Bones
Buried at Sea
Deveikuth
Atavist
Stumm
Servants of the Mist
UR
etc...

You can also investigate the indus doom scene with particularly PHOBOS and Author & Punisher (I think those two gather all the criteria you're after)

Then the funeral doom scene with Hierophant, Catacombs, Tyranny, UDOM and Funeralium

Lots to listen to!

ps: give immediately a try to Halo/Body of light; we'll see if I got you right... ;)

I'm sorry, you did not.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:57 am 

good taste differs.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
good taste differs.

It's not about good taste, I was looking for the most extreme and evil doom out there and this is not it

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:08 am 

Again, taste differs. To me, all this is extreme and crushing. Body of Light is one of the most crushing doom albums out there, having an obvious Swans/ Crowbar infuence and brewing it in violent, apocalyptic indus doom patterns. As for "evil" and "motherfucking", it's your call, I never use these terms to describe music. So, if I am unable to bring you the most motherfucking doom there can be, I still think all the rcs here above are radical enough to be worth an attentive listen.

Check out also some bands I dislike: Switchblade, SOLENS INÄLVOR, and Phant... Maybe taste will differ again!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:56 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Again, taste differs. To me, all this is extreme and crushing. Body of Light is one of the most crushing doom albums out there, having an obvious Swans/ Crowbar infuence and brewing it in violent, apocalyptic indus doom patterns. As for "evil" and "motherfucking", it's your call, I never use these terms to describe music. So, if I am unable to bring you the most motherfucking doom there can be, I still think all the rcs here above are radical enough to be worth an attentive listen.

Check out also some bands I dislike: Switchblade, SOLENS INÄLVOR, and Phant... Maybe taste will differ again!

Ah well. I get why Crowbar is liked by people, but I wouldn't consider them that heavy. I never use those terms either, but then again, I wasn't too serious. Think Bongripper's 'Hail', Conan's 'Krull', Toadliquor's 'Charred'.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:08 pm 

Was coming to correct that last post of mine : of course I didn't mean Crowbar, but Godflesh instead! Forgive my senile brain!

That's some heavy Sludge you want... Check out then one of my first recs: Buried at Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIRKvANJiA

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:43 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
Was coming to correct that last post of mine : of course I didn't mean Crowbar, but Godflesh instead! Forgive my senile brain!

That's some heavy Sludge you want... Check out then one of my first recs: Buried at Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIRKvANJiA

As you might have concluded already, I know a fair share about doom and sludge. Have seen Buried At Sea live many timws but still. I am looking for stuff that surpasses that.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:16 am 

Maybe then start looking outside the "classic" sludge scene and visit some bancamps of bands more into funerary droney death doom, like Noûs, the well-named Funerary of The Nihilistic Front?

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:59 am 

Anyone looking for some awesome funeral doom should check out this band I discovered the other day:

flowing gore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:54 pm 

Any suggestions for psychedelic/jammy doom without stoner/weed imagery?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:18 am 

flowing gore wrote:
Any suggestions for psychedelic/jammy doom without stoner/weed imagery?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:46 am 

Paul Chain's material fits perfectly: try "Violet art of improvisation"!

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:35 pm 

Any bands in the same vein as Jex Thoth or Subrosa, regardless of whether they're female fronted? Is there a specific name or description for that style? In the archives both bands only have the doom tag in common, but I find them to sound very similar.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 133  Next