* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 am 

Spenot wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Or, actually, any Pink Floyd influenced metal in general would be sweet...

I would recommend mid and later Anathema, not once have I heard that they ARE the new Pink Floyd, their influence on them being quite noticeable.

Now I got a reason to check 'em out... Thanks!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:56 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Spenot wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:
Or, actually, any Pink Floyd influenced metal in general would be sweet...

I would recommend mid and later Anathema, not once have I heard that they ARE the new Pink Floyd, their influence on them being quite noticeable.

Now I got a reason to check 'em out... Thanks!

Avoid 'A Fine Day to Exit'.

You should also check out Evoken (yes, again), they have a lot of melodies and solos that are influenced by old Rock stuff like King Crimson. The first two Evoken albums in particular.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:35 pm 

I know that the very definition of Funeral Doom metal includes growls, but I was wandering if there's something hihgly melodic and hypnotic ala Shape of Despair, but wit MALE clean vocals all the way, or mixed but not 50%-50%, and without female vocals, which I can tolerate but I don´t really like in general
Well, thats all for now, thanks in advance
Not hearsay but the will of man

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:46 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:
I know that the very definition of Funeral Doom metal includes growls, but I was wandering if there's something hihgly melodic and hypnotic ala Shape of Despair, but wit MALE clean vocals all the way, or mixed but not 50%-50%, and without female vocals, which I can tolerate but I don´t really like in general

The only thing I can think of is Funeral's From These Wounds, all male clean singing through and through with few death growls, although it's slightly 'faster' than many other funeral doom albums.

If anyone knows anything else, I'd like to know too because I like that style as well.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:48 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:

Pantheist's Amartia is near of that you're asking for, but it has also many growls... I'm not sure if too much. Also, it has an incredible atmosphere, very mystical, I hope it fits.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:04 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:

I guess you should give Warning (Watching from a Distance) a try. It's no funeral doom, but given the circumstances I think it's the best you'll find. It has an equally slow paste as many funeral bands, but no keys though. And only male clean vocals. If you want to stretch it even further I'd say Reverend Bizarre (The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend) might also be an option. Again no funeral doom, but it sort of fits what you are looking for. :p Though, it might not be melodic enough for you, no idea. Give them a try!

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:07 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:

The only thing I can think of is Funeral's From These Wounds, all male clean singing through and through with few death growls, although it's slightly 'faster' than many other funeral doom albums.

If anyone knows anything else, I'd like to know too because I like that style as well.

Yeah, I have that one, also more on the Death/Doom I have Morgion Cloaked by Ages, Crowned in Earth which is mostly with clean vocals. I`m listening now Before the Rain, and has 50-50 growls-clean, and is very very good, but not sure if it qualifies as Funeral Doom

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:

I've heard some Lux Incerta tracks and they were all in clean male vocals (and that's the reason why I didn't dig further into the band). Try them to see if that's what you're looking for.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:24 pm 

Foxx wrote:
You should check out Doom:VS. It's a side project of one of the guys from Draconian. It is also quite melodic.

Cheers, but I already have that album. Forgot to add it to the list I made.

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
Check out the album Tragedies by the Norwegian Funeral. There is a female vocalist, but her voice is very beautiful and tastefully used.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Cool, man, I'll check that out, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:

I forgot about them. Also Funeral's side project, Fallen, would be a fine recommendation.

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Check out the album Tragedies by the Norwegian Funeral. There is a female vocalist, but her voice is very beautiful and tastefully used.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Cool, man, I'll check that out, too.

No worries.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:22 pm 

red_blood_inside wrote:

I think Thergothon has a lot of clean vocals (at least more than most other funeral doom bands), and even the growls kind of sound clean (I know it sounds weird, but ...). I might be wrong though, since I don't clearly remember, so anybody can feel free to correct me. Regardless of the vocals, I think Thergothon fits the other parts of the request pretty well.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm 

What's the difference between Funeral Doom and Drone Doom (if there is one)?

Also, I'm looking for Trad Doom or Death/Doom with Satanic/Occult lyrics, can anyone help me?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 pm 

MortalScum wrote:

You can pretty much tell it by just listening to it, even if you don't have any prior knowledge. The differences are quite obvious.

Drone doom is significantly slower than funeral doom, lacks the "heavy" feeling, and each riff is almost unrecognizable by a person who doesn't have sufficient experience with the genre. Funeral doom has a much more heavy feeling, with slow but not-that-slow drumming and riffs that you can actually tell the beginning and the end. Also, funeral doom usually uses death growls. I'm not sure about the common vocal style of drone (if there even is a common style at all), but I don't remember hearing much death growls from drone bands.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:17 pm 

Kruel wrote:
MortalScum wrote:

You can pretty much tell it by just listening to it, even if you don't have any prior knowledge. The differences are quite obvious.

Drone doom is significantly slower than funeral doom, lacks the "heavy" feeling, and each riff is almost unrecognizable by a person who doesn't have sufficient experience with the genre. Funeral doom has a much more heavy feeling, with slow but not-that-slow drumming and riffs that you can actually tell the beginning and the end. Also, funeral doom usually uses death growls. I'm not sure about the common vocal style of drone (if there even is a common style at all), but I don't remember hearing much death growls from drone bands.

thanks

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:27 pm 

Quote:
Drone doom lacks the "heavy" feeling,

epic fail.

Quote:
and each riff is almost unrecognizable by a person who doesn't have sufficient experience with the genre.

epic fail (well, in most cases anyway).

Quote:
Funeral doom has a much more heavy feeling, with slow but not-that-slow drumming and riffs that you can actually tell the beginning and the end.

epic fail.

Essentially funeral doom borrows more from death metal then drone doom does.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 pm 

Okay... apparently I don't know much about drone doom at all.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 pm 

Belial_ wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
I'm much more interested in the funeral doom sub-genre, rather than the death/doom, but I do like bands from both:

Shape Of Despair (Angels Of Distress is probably my favourite doom release so far...it is brilliant)
Mournful Congregation
Ophis
Depressed Mode
Swallow The Sun
Ahab

Recommendation: Any funeral doom with good production, that has an emphasis on sadness. Female vocals are not desired, but a little bit won't hurt, same with clean singing.

Please don't mention Skepticism, Thergothon, or Esoteric.

Comatose Vigil, Pantheist, Worship, Remembrance and Monolith are all well produced and have an emphasis on sadness (more or less with Monolith). There's a lot of clean (male) vocals on Pantheist though.

Okay, checked these ones out:
Comatose Vigil - :bow: EXACTLY what I was after. Definitely going to hunt for this one. I always thought of Russia as a death metal country, but this shits all over my stereotype failure. Excellent.

Pantheist - Yeah, a lot of cleans. It was alright, but I'll have to leave it for now. Maybe later on, I'll come back and wonder why I left it for so long.

Worship - Ah, after clicking on the MA page, it jogged my memory. I have heard them before, but I remember I was not too impressed with it, because I have forgotten about them. Gave them another listen, and while it's not too bad, there is something about them that is...I don't know. Missing? Hmm, it's hard, because they are definitely good.

Remembrance - Hell yes. Another good band. Going to get both their albums. Was more impressed with their latest, but their earlier one seems good, too.

Monolith - Couldn't find this one, so I have no idea.

So, I got two excellent bands out of those recommendations, particularly Comatose Vigil. Thanks heaps, mate! :thumbsup:

Hmm, not exactly what I was after. There was too much female vocals. I can safely say she is a good vocalist, but that was a little overkill. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 pm 

@ Kruel- Your assumption is correct. To be honest it can sometimes be pretty hard to differentiate the two, especcially when it's really slow funeral doom (i.e Worship's newest)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:59 am 

caspian wrote:
@ Kruel- Your assumption is correct. To be honest it can sometimes be pretty hard to differentiate the two, especcially when it's really slow funeral doom (i.e Worship's newest)

Yeah, some bands are really starting to blur the boundaries of funeral doom and drone. Still, saying that drone lacks a heavy feeling. :nono:

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:34 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Bezerko wrote:
YAY, my request now!

I'm looking for something similar to Solitude Aeturnus's Alone and Candlemass' King of the Grey Islands. So vocals similar to Lowe's (because he freaking rules) and that heavy, slow, yet slightly epic feel. I guess this is pretty similar to Caspian's request, but more focused. This is mostly out of love of Robert Lowe's vocal work. :P

If you love Lowe check out the first Last Chapter album "The Living Waters", the band Concept of God also has his vocals. Then try the American Well of Souls (the one from Houston).

Thanks, listening to Last Chapter now. It's like a faster C-Mass or Solitude Aeturnus, much more Sabbathy. Liking it a lot. Concept of God is also downloading. Shall check Well of Souls!

EDIT: Nope, it's not. Heavy as fuck epic doom, just like S.A, THANKYOU!

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:09 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Belial_ wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
I'm much more interested in the funeral doom sub-genre, rather than the death/doom, but I do like bands from both:

Shape Of Despair (Angels Of Distress is probably my favourite doom release so far...it is brilliant)
Mournful Congregation
Ophis
Depressed Mode
Swallow The Sun
Ahab

Recommendation: Any funeral doom with good production, that has an emphasis on sadness. Female vocals are not desired, but a little bit won't hurt, same with clean singing.

Please don't mention Skepticism, Thergothon, or Esoteric.

Comatose Vigil, Pantheist, Worship, Remembrance and Monolith are all well produced and have an emphasis on sadness (more or less with Monolith). There's a lot of clean (male) vocals on Pantheist though.

Okay, checked these ones out:
Comatose Vigil - :bow: EXACTLY what I was after. Definitely going to hunt for this one. I always thought of Russia as a death metal country, but this shits all over my stereotype failure. Excellent.

Pantheist - Yeah, a lot of cleans. It was alright, but I'll have to leave it for now. Maybe later on, I'll come back and wonder why I left it for so long.

Worship - Ah, after clicking on the MA page, it jogged my memory. I have heard them before, but I remember I was not too impressed with it, because I have forgotten about them. Gave them another listen, and while it's not too bad, there is something about them that is...I don't know. Missing? Hmm, it's hard, because they are definitely good.

Remembrance - Hell yes. Another good band. Going to get both their albums. Was more impressed with their latest, but their earlier one seems good, too.

Monolith - Couldn't find this one, so I have no idea.

So, I got two excellent bands out of those recommendations, particularly Comatose Vigil. Thanks heaps, mate! :thumbsup:

You're welcome :)
You should also try Tyranny then, Comatose Vigil have a lot of similarities with them, except the fact that Tyranny aren't really on the 'sad' side of things, but who knows you might like them.

I'll send you a PM about Monolithe (sorry I forgot the 'e').

MortalScum wrote:
Also, I'm looking for Trad Doom or Death/Doom with Satanic/Occult lyrics, can anyone help me?

Traditional Doom with Occult lyrics: Abysmal Grief (they've got a really haunting atmosphere).
Satanic lyrics: Hour of 13
I don't know if you'd consider them occult, but check out Amarna Sky, Oriental Traditional Doom with en emphasis on ancient Egypt stuff. Karl Sanders played in one of their songs.

Otherwise there's the obvious ones: Black Sabbath and Candlemass, maybe Reverend Bizarre too but I don't really remember.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 am 

SLAVE OF SATAN :bow:

Suppose you could say Reverend Bizarre qualifies if you want some occult lyrics now and then.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 pm 

Any Grivf fans out there?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=37808

Back then I managed to get a copy of Sortenlund which is the reissue of the demo. Sortenlund was absolutely great, even though I felt it lacked a bit of the organic sound which the demo had and well IMO here the music really benefits from the necessary rawness. Still very good stuff. Should buy Yggdrasil soon. That one will be the easiest one to find. Recommended for people who like Nortt, but with a more pagan touch to it. :)

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:56 pm 

Oh, thanks for the recs people!
The whole thread, along with the BM help thread (thanx Mors) are pure gold

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:55 am 

I've just discovered the amazingness that is Katatonia. BESIDES Dance of December Souls, what would you say is their best album/how would you rank the albums..?

Sahmain_Deathrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 am 

best 2 doom bands that i ever heard - Saint Vitus and Pentagram(wich is more heavy-doom oriented)

Try out that 2 old school doom bands ;)

Blanketed_by_snow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 am 

Could someone suggest me bands similar to these bands?

Candlemass
Boris
Buried at Sea
Sleep
Weedeater
Ahab
Catacombs
Burning Witch

and if you haven't heard of any of these, check em out, i really like them.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:
I don't care who fucks who, as long as they enjoy it.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:30 am 

For Canldemass : http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... candlemass

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:40 am 

Blanketed_by_snow wrote:

Candlemass
Boris
Buried at Sea
Sleep
Weedeater
Ahab
Catacombs
Burning Witch

Buried at Sea - > Black Shape of Nexus
Burning Witch - > Khanate

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:06 am 

Blanketed_by_snow wrote:

Candlemass
Boris
Buried at Sea
Sleep
Weedeater
Ahab
Catacombs
Burning Witch

Ahab - EA, Monolithe
Sleep - Electric Wizard, Grand Magus, Viaje a 800... maybe Sahg?
Boris - which album?
Candlemass - Solitude Aeternus, though

caspian

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:11 am 

Grand Magus really don't have much in common with sleep.

Electric Wizard and Saturnalia Temple would be your best bet, particularly the latter.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:04 am 

Blanketed_by_snow wrote:

Ahab
Catacombs
Burning Witch

Ahab - check out Tyranny and Comatose Vigil.
Catacombs - check Jon del Russi's previous project, Hierophant, which was better than Catacombs.
Burning Witch - Khanate is an obvious choice, then you have Thorr's Hammer, which was one of the first 'Extreme Doom' projects by O'Malley.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:05 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I've just discovered the amazingness that is Katatonia. BESIDES Dance of December Souls, what would you say is their best album/how would you rank the albums..?

intothevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:55 pm 

Death Is This Communion by High on Fire is quickly becoming my favourite release of 2007. There are moments that are just so awesomely powerful I feel the urge to get up and wildly headbang, and I never headbang. That album is just THAT great.

Now, I'm looking for more of this mid-paced speed/stoner metal type of stuff. Not slow doom metal, and with good riffs.

"Oh, It's just the holocaust. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, carry on"

SmellyStuff
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 pm 

Could you guys recommend me some entry level doom please?

I already listen to:
Witchfinder General
Electric Wizard
Paradise Lost
Anathema
Cathedral
Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Candlemass
Solitude Aeturnus
Reverend Bizarre
Warning
Trouble
My Dying Bride

Reverend Bizarre and Warning are probably my two favourites out of those.

Thanks.

SKINHERALIVE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:37 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:

I guess you should give Warning (Watching from a Distance) a try. It's no funeral doom, but given the circumstances I think it's the best you'll find. It has an equally slow paste as many funeral bands, but no keys though. And only male clean vocals. If you want to stretch it even further I'd say Reverend Bizarre (The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend) might also be an option. Again no funeral doom, but it sort of fits what you are looking for. :p Though, it might not be melodic enough for you, no idea. Give them a try!

In my humble opinion, Reverend Bizarre and Warning kick the shit out of most funeral doom metal.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:58 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:

I'm not a fan of their 'new sound' at all, so I'd naturally say that their first two albums are their best (Dance of December Souls being the best).

SmellyStuff wrote:
Could you guys recommend me some entry level doom please?

I already listen to:
Paradise Lost
Anathema
My Dying Bride

Check these out:
Dissolving of Prodigy: greatly influenced by My Dying Bride.
Mourning Beloveth, and if you like them try Mournful Gust.
Novembers Doom, even though I don't really like them, they've got some similarities with the Peaceville Three.
Ataraxie, for some heavy Death/Doom.
Imindain, for somewhat Melodic Death/Doom.

SKINHERALIVE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:06 pm 

Good call on Ataraxie. SO heavy!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:17 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
I like everything by Katatonia.

Brave Murder Day is sort of a mix between doom, melodeath and what they did on Discouraged Ones, which is pretty interesting, and I like it for its originality. My favourites are probably the last two. Lots of gems on albums like Brave Murder Day (Rainroom especially) and Discouraged Ones, but everything between Viva Emptiness and Discouraged Ones seems pretty average to me. Maybe I simply haven't listened to them enough. What saves them from mediocrity is the interesting feeling apparent in all of their songs throughout their career.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 133  Next