Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:20 am 

Fawkin' Aye!! 'Wolves Carry My Name' just nails the kind of groovy, sludgy vibe I can't get enough of!!

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 pm 

I like Senthil, does anyone know any bands similar to them (besides Wormphlegm and Bosque, other bands of the same style I like)?

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
I like Senthil, does anyone know any bands similar to them (besides Wormphlegm and Bosque, other bands of the same style I like)?

Black Bile is pretty good, and is similar to Senthil.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm 

Storm of the Light's Bane wrote:

Black Bile is pretty good, and is similar to Senthil.

Great stuff.

What about something similar to Katatonia's "Jhva Elohim Meth" EP? Closest I've found was Katatonia's own "Dance of December Souls" and October Tide's "Rain Without End". There was an album I heard a while back that sounded similar to "Dance of December Souls", but I misplaced the name and lost the album's zip archive.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm 

What about something similar to Katatonia's "Jhva Elohim Meth" EP? Closest I've found was Katatonia's own "Dance of December Souls" and October Tide's "Rain Without End". There was an album I heard a while back that sounded similar to "Dance of December Souls", but I misplaced the name and lost the album's zip archive.

I actually made a list on rateyourmusic of bands or albums that I thought sounded similar to Dance of December Souls and Jhva Elohim Meth.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/sounds_o ... ber_souls/

Out of this list, your best bets would be Kostnitsa, Beatrik, and Pact of Solitude. The lattermost should definitely be what you're long for. Only problem is they only released one EP!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 am 

NbleSavage wrote:
Just recently getting into Toner Low - which I find strangely relaxing while studying.

Digging the harsh / guttural vocals and the relentless droning groove. Plus 'dat bass...

More bands like this?

Not similar in sound but has the same relaxing vibe: https://youtu.be/2YMI09im5pI

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:32 pm 

^^ Cheers ^^

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am 

Looking for some funeral doom along the lines of "june Frost" era Mournful Congregation, with perhaps a bit of Pelican-esque post metal thrown in. Or, conversely, some funeral doom of the "The Call of the Wretched Sea" ilk - super heavy, slow, but not boring. I've dug what I've heard from the band Frowning, but their albums are either hard to find or a bit overpriced. I need something I can get a CD copy of on Amazon for less than $15 bucks.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:16 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Looking for some funeral doom along the lines of "june Frost" era Mournful Congregation, with perhaps a bit of Pelican-esque post metal thrown in. Or, conversely, some funeral doom of the "The Call of the Wretched Sea" ilk - super heavy, slow, but not boring. I've dug what I've heard from the band Frowning, but their albums are either hard to find or a bit overpriced. I need something I can get a CD copy of on Amazon for less than $15 bucks.

You've posted your request in the wrong thread, but I can still lead you to a MC copycat band. I don't really recommend it - because it's just that: a copycat, but here you are: Lone Wanderer they call themselves: https://lonewanderer.bandcamp.com/album ... ty-of-loss

as for something akin to Ahab's debut album, I'd say Ophis maybe - another German band btw: https://ophis.bandcamp.com/

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 pm 

Eh, got an Ophis album and was not impressed. While Lone Wanderer sound good, doesn't appear that I can actually get a CD of their stuff.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:12 pm 

I take it back, Lone Wanderer is purchaseable.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:12 am 

I've listened to tons of doom albums, and never found anything really resembling Ahab's sound... Not crazy about this band as a whole, but I admit there was a time when "The Call" was on heavy rotations; some albums do this to me, I can't get tired of them... until it eventually happens!...
Ahab's bleakest and most sparse moments can be found in Tyranny's spectral extreme doom... But this is not so directly similar either.

Now, because incidently I checked my copy of this album, I noticed a song called Below the Sun, and this happens to be the name of another band, Below the Sun. Check them out, there is something in the leads, in the growls... you never know, they're quite good, more on the "post" side of doom though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41_4GiUsow

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 pm 

Ahab is doom for people who are not into doom.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 pm 

Yeah, I feel the same way about Hooded Menace. By the way, any recommendations on bands that sound like Hooded Menace that aren't listed in the "similar artists" tab?

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:32 am 

demonomania wrote:
Yeah, I feel the same way about Hooded Menace. By the way, any recommendations on bands that sound like Hooded Menace that aren't listed in the "similar artists" tab?

give this band, IDES, a try, they're from the Netherlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKMnSKk7P4U

https://www.facebook.com/Idesdoom/

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:38 pm 

all about funeral doom right now. I'm far from being an expert on it and wanna get some recs for different presentations and styles/moods, a rundown of some albums I might not find just searching around.

I guess like..

psychedelic/experimental
more death metally stuff
more doom metally stuff
epic?
etc

If that makes sense. Some stuff I love right now: Evoken, Urna, Ahab, Mournful Congregation, Ea, Asunder

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 am 

I'm very picky about tags: the bands I mentioned are not strickly speaking playing FD, but they're all on the extreme side of the doom spectrum

psychedelic/experimental:

Dolorian
Opaque Lucidity
Journey to Ixtlan
Esoteric (kind of obvious)

more death metally stuff:

Tetramorphe Impure (a very underground band that share many similarities with Evoken)
Funeralium

more doom metally stuff:

well this is kind of redundant, there're two many bands playing doomy funeral doom you know?

epic

I don't think there can be any "epic" FD bands. It can't be slow and epic in my book; but maybe you have an other perception of what can be "epic"....

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:05 pm 

I like Dolorian a lot already but haven't explored any of the other bands there yet. Esoteric has been kind of daunting with their huge albums but I've got Metamorphogenesis and Subconscious Dissolution yesterday that I'm gonna start with to ease in. If they're in the psych/weird area than I ought to like it a lot.

And I guess you're right about the doom metally stuff ha.

I also appreciate Thergothon and Skepticism and dig them both a bit, but I always thought their sound wasn't "big" enough as I think it ought to be. Been a minute since listening but I seem to remember the production being kinda thin and spindly.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm 

There's also a stoner-ish extreme death doom band you might find interesting: it's Camel of Doom - that's for the psychedelic side of things.
And if you like Urna (and you're totally right to like them!) I must urge you to give a try to Arcana Coelestia.
for a good, grim, extreme death doom stuff, with acute death-ish leanings, Ataraxie is recommendable too.

N0tmee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm 

Looking for dissonant/ experimental bands along the lines of Gorguts,Portal, or Ulcerate but for doom

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
all about funeral doom right now. I'm far from being an expert on it and wanna get some recs for different presentations and styles/moods, a rundown of some albums I might not find just searching around.

I guess like..

psychedelic/experimental

Not funeral doom, but on the psychedelic/experimental side of doom metal, you've got Aarni. Give "Bathos" a listen.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:46 am 

N0tmee wrote:
Looking for dissonant/ experimental bands along the lines of Gorguts,Portal, or Ulcerate but for doom

Try Ehnahre. It's really weird avant-garde sludge/death/doom metal, with free jazz influences.
https://youtu.be/kKOSE9k0Myk
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/IpHHtQSEng4?si=SkrRhwSLhz6MLjsq

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 am 

N0tmee wrote:

Doomed is the only band I know whose overall songwriting techniques could vaguely be compared to the fractured Metal of the bands you mention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIr2DxR2Hc

If you like this, try also Stomach Earth.

Then Esoteric's nightmarish visions could well deserve your attention too, there's a quite unexpected flow to their music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKDIYGw6xO0

And there's also that wonderful collaboration between Aglaomorpha and Opaque Lucidity, called 'Fragments'; as the name implies, it's quite disjointed, but still holds a very gripping, and very doomy, atmosphere throughout.

The other project I could recommend is Drug Honkey, the lords of hellish chaos.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 am 

Looking for more sludgy doom metal. Just recently came across 'Empty Room' and they reminded me a bit of Toner Low.

Not a fan of clean vocals with my doom - I prefer more guttural styles - and the bass must be in the mix.

Any more then like this?

Cheers!

- Savage

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:

I guess like..

psychedelic/experimental
more death metally stuff
more doom metally stuff
epic?
etc

If that makes sense. Some stuff I love right now: Evoken, Urna, Ahab, Mournful Congregation, Ea, Asunder

I have something here for you, which is pretty out there (in my opinion) while still hopefully filling your request. I only heard of this band a couple of days ago thanks to a friend of mine whilst drinking, and it's some killer stuff. They label themselves as baroque funeral doom I believe, but hot damn... this is rather good. The band is called Estrangement, and the first track is from a split with a Japanese band, the second from their demo. I like this a lot.

Childlike Bewilderment

Disentanglement (Of Sound From Mind)

My collection

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:39 am 

Are there many very slow and crushing doom/death bands. I am thinking of bands like Comatose Vigil. Basically I like good drum structures underlined by slow, distorted and sludgy guitar work.

Btw, I just bought Mourning Beloveth Album A Murderous Circus and it shreds. \m/

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am 

^Here you go!
Verbum - Processio Flagellates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtR5hH06l0
https://penitenziagiterecords.bandcamp. ... lagellates

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 am 

Sounds good. But , unfortunately cannot get it on iTunes.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:20 am 

I don't hear any similarities between Comatose Vigil and Verbum, although the latter are indeed sludgy-sounding whereas I don't feel any sludginess in Comatose Vigil, but well...

If you want to listen to something in the vein of the Russian's funeral doom, check out Abysskult, it's as close as can be. And then, the excellent Abstract Spirit have a little something that can be linked to Comatose Vigil; they also deserve a listen.

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am 

Yes I agree that Abstract Spirit is close.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am 

Then check out Abysskult; when I heard their album, it struck me as a Comatose Vigil clone, although it's more than that. It's really very well done, and the Comatose Vigil sound is strong enough to be a worthy source of inspiration anyway.

https://abysskvlt.bandcamp.com/

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am 

I think I was lucky to come across Mourning Beloveth. Are there other bands out there with the same degree of sophistication both in melody and odd drum structures.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 pm 

something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onBPAcUPuI

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:

I actually made a list on rateyourmusic of bands or albums that I thought sounded similar to Dance of December Souls and Jhva Elohim Meth.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/sounds_o ... ber_souls/

Out of this list, your best bets would be Kostnitsa, Beatrik, and Pact of Solitude. The lattermost should definitely be what you're long for. Only problem is they only released one EP!

Well, what I remember about the band that I mentioned originally is that the cover had a person's face on it and that they only released that one album. I think that album was released in either 1996 or 1998, for some reason. I also think it was considered black metal on the archives, but I could be wrong. I remember it having a very uncanny resemblance to DoDS.

That being said, Pact is definitely something I was looking for.

TheElco
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am 

Hi everyone.

Can Someone reccommend me something similar to:
Reverend Bizzare
Lord Vicar
Asteroid

Basically clean vocals and longer songs
Thanks.

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:28 pm 

Discovered All Them Witches about 2 weeks ago and it's pretty much the only band I listen to since then. Holy shit, it's like every release is flawless, except for Sleeping Through the War, which sucks. I'm not kidding, I'm obsessed with those cool rednecks. I know it's not really Stoner rock, but if any of you fine folks could suggest me a similar band (as close as possible), I will bear your children. No homo, but I totally will.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm 

TheElco wrote:
Reverend Bizzare

Try the following. Relatively well known, but whatever:
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Saint Vitus - self titled / Born Too Late
Solitude Aeternus - Beyond The Crimson Horizon

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 pm 

TheElco wrote:
Reverend Bizzare

Try the following. Relatively well known, but whatever:
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Saint Vitus - self titled / Born Too Late
Solitude Aeternus - Beyond The Crimson Horizon

Christ, if he knows Rev Biz, I bet he knows those obvious recs.

Check out The Wandering Midget, Garden of Worm, Zodiac (Australia), Minotauri and Acolytes of Moros (long ass songs)!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Falsehammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:50 am 

Rec me something like

Cirith Ungol
Magic Circle
Witchfinder General

traditional doom with marshall ripping tones

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm 

I am looking for some heavy death/doom, perhaps like Hooded Menace, Coffins or hail of bullets. The reason I am posting this is because I want to explore this from a doom angle rather than a death metal angle which I know more about.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 133  Next