Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:58 pm 

It's by the book/paint by numbers doom with supreme vocals (the only big redeeming factor for me), it's like the only doom band Sorcerer heard is Candlemass, ya know? That's why I think it's quite bland, same for bands like Orchid who only heard Sabbath.

I think it's time for me to praise Cave of Swimmers, that stuff ain't bland, y'all! I wrote a gushing review for their newest, I think it's fantastic stuff. It's like progressive epic doom/latin/stoner/rock/awesomeness metal. https://caveofswimmers.bandcamp.com/album/reflection

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm 

Needs more maracas!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:56 pm 

Cave of Swimmers is pretty damn good - lots of swagger and cool riffing, and the vocals are good. I'll definitely hear more when it's released. And they're from my neck of the woods!

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:19 am 

Everybody should check out Shepherd. Real catchy 90's heavy rock infused doom.

Check out my review over at Invisible Oranges:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2015/04 ... tration-2/
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Everybody should check out Shepherd. Real catchy 90's heavy rock infused doom.

Check out my review over at Invisible Oranges:

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2015/04 ... tration-2/

This is absolutely fantastic. Great rec!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:07 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Not a lot of originality or distinction in the epic doom genre these days, it seems to be the "oh let's play doom metal even though we hardly know the scene except Candlemass" way for some musicians.

Curious, what else would you consider essential epic doom other than Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice, etc? Also, are there any epic doom bands that have growled/screamed vocals as well as the usual cleans?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:00 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Not a lot of originality or distinction in the epic doom genre these days, it seems to be the "oh let's play doom metal even though we hardly know the scene except Candlemass" way for some musicians.

Curious, what else would you consider essential epic doom other than Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice, etc? Also, are there any epic doom bands that have growled/screamed vocals as well as the usual cleans?

Isole might be worth checking out if you don't know of 'em already. They've got some harsh vocals mixed in sometimes. And otherwise are a solid enough band.

Don't think that this track happens to have them, but here it is anyways: Isole - Bliss of Solitude

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 pm 

Monolord's new album kneads my bag of bones like tank treads. Heavy as shit, but not boring. I remember a common complaint about the debut was that it's too monotonous but this new one seems a bit more dynamic. They're trying harder anyway. And the title track is a monster that could cause seismic activity. Recommended.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:49 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Isole might be worth checking out if you don't know of 'em already. They've got some harsh vocals mixed in sometimes. And otherwise are a solid enough band.

Don't think that this track happens to have them, but here it is anyways: Isole - Bliss of Solitude

shiiiiiiit I am definitely into this!! when that first riff hits, that's exactly what I want doom to be! Throw in some deep growls or shrieks and it'd be perfect.

On another note, if I had to get only one album by Runemagick and Count Raven, which would yall suggest?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:02 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:

On another note, if I had to get only one album by Runemagick and Count Raven, which would yall suggest?

My favorite Count Raven album is High on Infinity.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:56 am 

Definitely Destruction of the Void for Count Raven.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:52 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Monolord's new album kneads my bag of bones like tank treads. Heavy as shit, but not boring. I remember a common complaint about the debut was that it's too monotonous but this new one seems a bit more dynamic. They're trying harder anyway. And the title track is a monster that could cause seismic activity. Recommended.

I gave a rough listen to Vaenir the other day. It's way way better than the debut. The fuzz is intact but the overall atmosphere and songwriting is much darker and as you've mentioned the arrangements are definitely more dynamic. Seconding the recommendation.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:21 am 

General rec: Brume - Donkey, if you like your doom extra weighty and good female vocals. Not a whole lot of variety but it doesn't wear out its welcome.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 pm 

This seems good, mate.

I remember hearing Boar's debut in 2010 but their new album is excellent, very cool Finnish doom/stoner: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Bo ... cae/508031

Perhaps not as good as Monolord's sophomore though, this shit is massive and essential doom!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:41 am 

Anything Skullflower.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:15 pm 

I just discovered Tarantula Hawk http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tarantula_Hawk
Excellent instrumental psychedelic stoner doomy stuff, just what I like! reminds me a bit of a Titan album called Sweet Dreams I suppose :thumbsup:

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 am 

Can anyone recommend me some sludge metal with female vocals?
Preferably not too harsh, in a way i can tell it's a chick that's singing

No doom/stoner, but sludge.
Any recs?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:10 pm 

New song that brings the thunder. Sounds better than anything on Our Cult Continues. It seems the vocals have improved a little too.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:35 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some sludge metal with female vocals?
Preferably not too harsh, in a way i can tell it's a chick that's singing

No doom/stoner, but sludge.
Any recs?

ShEver's latest album is a good rec.
Herem, Bottom and Ishmael come to mind too. You still can hear a female tone in their voice...

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 pm 

Time to breathe new life into this thread with a recommendation. Currently digging Chest's The Epitome of True Evil, some sinister sounding stoner/doom metal from Finland. My favorite song would be "The Root of All Sin" because there's a seething rage bubbling underneath it that I enjoy. Guess an Electric Wizard influence pops up occasionally (last song in particular) but that is to be expected when a band plays a darker form of stoner/doom. In any case, they're not defined by it like some other bands.

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 am 

I have a very spiritual friend who is very much into phsychadelic rock. Looking for a more underground band that has a very mystical folkish and new agey sound that sounds good on acid

bonkifai
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:26 am 

Quote:
I have a very spiritual friend who is very much into phsychadelic rock. Looking for a more underground band that has a very mystical folkish and new agey sound that sounds good on acid

You mean other than Sleep?

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:19 pm 

XD yeah other than sleep probably something similar.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm 

Zaum and Om, of course.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

XDFFSX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:53 am 

Looking for bands the combine Sludge with Beatdown or Deathcore. Even just covers of sludge songs by Deathcore or beatdown bands would be cool. Thanks

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm 

Micael Zetterberg (Terrorama, Wardenclyffe, etc.) plays trad doom in a project called The Unquiet Grave. The first demo was released today and you can listen to it on Bandcamp. I believe Tony Diorio (ex-Bang) wrote the lyrics to the first song but my favorite is "Mother's Trial". It has this nice Pagan Altar-esque atmosphere that I like a lot. A tape will be released soon but for now it's digital only.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:23 pm 

Fuck, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in writing that Griftegard got Farida Lemouchi to sing too on their cover of Aphrodite's Child's The Four Horsemen. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised since they dedicated the release to Selim, but that killed me when her singing came in all of a sudden. The other track on their new EP is pretty good, too. Really hopeful for a second album one day by these folks. The apocalyptic Christian lyrical angle that they use is just so perfect for their music.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:58 pm 

The cover's okay but the b-side kills. That's the Griftegård I came to appreciate. But I'm just happy Ola got a new lineup together so the band could continue. Felt like it was touch-and-go there for a while. Yeah, I rather listen to Griftegård than Wardenclyffe or Year of the fucking Goat or whatever else they do on the side when Griftegård lies buried in a Norrköping cemetery.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:21 pm 

I originally found out about them from you having them mentioned in your profile on here years back :p

But yeah, A Beam in the Eye of the Lord is killer for sure. Hopeful for the future for them.

I actually really like Year of the Goat (only got into them last year) though Wardenclyffe might not be my thing.

I've gotta listen to The Unquiet Grave band that you mentioned earlier, too.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:36 pm 

Griftegard being back into doom business is good news, their debut album is fantastic. I liked YotG's debut EP but I thought the full length lacked something, it wasn't as good. Wardenclyffe's 2012 demo rocks but I couldn't even finish their first album, it was boring as hell

I was sad when Beelzefuzz broke up as I liked their blend of Maryland doom with psych rock but Righteous Bloom formed just after and it adds both Greg Diener from Pale Divine (who joined later before the band broke up) and Bert Hall Jr. (Revelation, Against Nature...), it's cool stuff.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Griftegard being back into doom business is good news, their debut album is fantastic. I liked YotG's debut EP but I thought the full length lacked something, it wasn't as good. Wardenclyffe's 2012 demo rocks but I couldn't even finish their first album, it was boring as hell

Or maybe you have developed ADHD and can't handle a full-length anymore?! Nothing but singles and two song demos for you from now on. But speaking of lacking something. I feel this way about that Beelzefuzz album. They were great at everything but lacked something, some elusive je ne sais quoi. Righteous Bloom will perhaps obtain it with that killer lineup. A power trio foursome made in heaven. And every time you mention Bert Hall, Jr, I want to bring up his new doom band Mangog. Still no songs on the net as far as I know but the soft-spoken Bert Hall can't lose.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:33 pm 

At least I write reviews, you lazy ass Swede!!

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:21 pm 

Every year or so I poke my head in here and ask the same question, in the hope that something new has come to light since last time; anything in the vein of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium"? Something very slow, heavier than most trad doom, maybe bordering on doom/death, not too far into stoner or sludge or epic territories.

Over the years I've found close matches from Pilgrim, Thy Grief Eternal, Fall Of The Idols, Godsend's "Starfall" demo, bits of The Wounded Kings, bits of Sevenchurch, bits of Black Magician.

I know all the usual recs of Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard, Warhorse etc. they're not what I'm after.

So, has anything new come to light? New release or old obscurity, it doesn't matter. I just crave that early Cathedral vibe.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:08 am 

Here's a cool new EP from Finland's Count Absurdo. They have a Venom goes doom metal vibe going for them. Or maybe it's just the vocals? Mixed with some Spiritus Mortis-like swagger. Anyway, I'm gonna have fun with this one.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:34 am 

balbulus wrote:
Every year or so I poke my head in here and ask the same question, in the hope that something new has come to light since last time; anything in the vein of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilibrium"? Something very slow, heavier than most trad doom, maybe bordering on doom/death, not too far into stoner or sludge or epic territories.

Over the years I've found close matches from Pilgrim, Thy Grief Eternal, Fall Of The Idols, Godsend's "Starfall" demo, bits of The Wounded Kings, bits of Sevenchurch, bits of Black Magician.

I know all the usual recs of Reverend Bizarre, Electric Wizard, Warhorse etc. they're not what I'm after.

So, has anything new come to light? New release or old obscurity, it doesn't matter. I just crave that early Cathedral vibe.

thinking of Aeon Aphelion/ Visions of Burning Aeons. Quite a rough trad doom band that used to sound more "death doom" on their demo.
Also Dea Marica is a dark trad doom-oriented band with occasional death doom hints (essentially to be found in the at times grunted vocals).

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 pm 

Just dropping in to tell any fans of instrumental doom and huge evil riffs to check out Beast in the Field.

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:32 am 

I am going to Alabama for the summer and was wondering if there is any entry level country doom ( I can't stand country) that isn't too redneckish but still has an old hurdy gurdy southern sound to it (the more banjos the better.)

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm 

Not even close to metal but they call their music country doom

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:13 am 

gerandumconnor wrote:
I am going to Alabama for the summer and was wondering if there is any entry level country doom ( I can't stand country) that isn't too redneckish but still has an old hurdy gurdy southern sound to it (the more banjos the better.)

I checked the net about this, just out of sheer curiosisty, and there's one Italian band that uses banjo; probably the only one on earth though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAmI21R70iw

edit: seems there're more of them!: http://www.nocleansinging.com/2010/09/21/banjo-metal/

Last edited by Morphine1873 on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:13 am 

I highly recommend Spillage to everyone who likes Chicago doom metal. I think the band described their music better than I ever could with "Taking the best qualities of early Judas Priest & Uriah Heep, and mixing it with Uli Jon Roth era Scorpions, and a good dose of Chicago doom". Bruce Franklin of Trouble produced the album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 133  Next