Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Titenis, please try to improve your grammar.

I've been digging this, the vocals aren't quite strong but the riffs are solid. Much better than their 2010 EP. Free download so check it out!
http://aeonaphelion.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ning-aeons

There's also the new Acolythsorry manes of Moros EP that Doomsday sent me, pretty cool slow trad doom, some of the songs are just too long though.

sorry man but i'm from Italy..to post thread in a language that is not your own is not easy..

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm 

Anything cool come out in the sludge scene recently? It's getting pretty tedious wading through the just alright (and some not so alright) bands, haha. No post-metal or "hipster" sludge, please.

~Guest 254234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am 

Hello! I've been getting a lot into Sludge lately (again) and I wondered if you guys know any band who uses Lovecraft for their lyrics... The sound I'm looking for is something like Black Tusk and stuff like that

Thanks!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/search/advanced/searching/bands?bandName=&genre=sludge&country=&yearCreationFrom=&yearCreationTo=&status=&themes=lovecraft&location=&bandLabelName=#bands

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:50 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Anything cool come out in the sludge scene recently? It's getting pretty tedious wading through the just alright (and some not so alright) bands, haha. No post-metal or "hipster" sludge, please.

You could definitely check out Horn of the Rhino. They kick major ass. The vocalist is one of the best around. He can do Chris Cornell like wails, intense gruff and Gregorian chants as well.

Zoroaster can surely craft some psychedelia and blues infused monolithic sludge tunes.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 am 

Really starting to appreciate Church of Void's debut album Dead Rising. It was slow to grow on me but I'm happy I stuck with it. Love the "fuck you, we're here to rock" vibe they give off. The lyrics (an A Song of Ice and Fire inspired cut, for example) and the gothic rock touches, like those in the title track, are very nice too. Yup, much for me to enjoy here. I give these guys an edge over most rocking doom bands that are fairly new and active today. Totally bummed out I'm going to miss the Church of Void / Acolytes of Moros gig this Saturday. I bet it's going to be an amazing experience. So what does M-A think of Church of Void and their album Dead Rising? I do remember a couple of comments saying "they're okay, BUT..." which is fair enough, I suppose. :-P

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 am 

Just discovered the band Force from Maryland, releasing one s/t LP in 1991. Two of the members later went on to be in the amazing band Iron Man. On this LP there is a female singer, so socially, this is one of the most unique bands with African American members and a female singer. The music itself is AMAZING, classic rocking heavy/doom metal. I recommend this album to all fans of the style!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Order of the Owl (ex-Zoroaster)
http://orderoftheowl.bandcamp.com/

Sons of Tonatiuh (ex-Leechmilk)
http://sonsoftonatiuh.bandcamp.com/

Stone Titan (more stoner than sludge i guess but these dudes rule!)
http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com/album/scratch-n-sniff
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:22 am 

The above mentioned Force is really cool. Always nice to see them being mentioned. And speaking of Iron Man: South of the Earth has leaked. Thoughts?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm 

I need to hear the new Iron Man! But talking of bands with "iron" in their names, I heard Iron Heel yesterday, cool doom/stoner (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Iro ... 3540332478). Not the most original name ever but nice stuff.

Free album on bandcamp: http://music.iron-heel.com/

About Church of Void, I like them but it's really nothing outstanding.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

I heard that Iron Heel release not too long ago. Didn't like it one bit, I'm afraid. But at least they taught me the meaning of sokushinbutsu!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:08 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Just discovered the band Force from Maryland, releasing one s/t LP in 1991. Two of the members later went on to be in the amazing band Iron Man. On this LP there is a female singer, so socially, this is one of the most unique bands with African American members and a female singer. The music itself is AMAZING, classic rocking heavy/doom metal. I recommend this album to all fans of the style!

I really like the Force album, I wish a label would rerelease it. I think it would be perfect for Shadow Kingdom Records, for example.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 am 

Any of you folks going to Roadburn?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:35 am 

Looking for some improvised and instrumental psychedelic/stoner rock (or metal) in the vein of Tia Carrera. These guys know how to jam. I don't want anything post-related. I'd prefer something a little more contemporary although I accept recommendations of bands that were active in the 70's or whatever. If you know some similar bands give me your top choice + release to start out with.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:54 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Looking for some improvised and instrumental psychedelic/stoner rock (or metal) in the vein of Tia Carrera. These guys know how to jam. I don't want anything post-related. I'd prefer something a little more contemporary although I accept recommendations of bands that were active in the 70's or whatever. If you know some similar bands give me your top choice + release to start out with.

Earthless know how to jam!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm 

Doomsday, have you heard Sungod?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm 

No, I haven't heard Sungod. Btw, if you guys have a recommendation, just name the band and a release or two and I'll take it from there. I'm not particularly fond of listening to individual tracks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:59 pm 

Well, other people might want to listen to a single track. That song's from their first album, First Matter.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:05 pm 

Fair enough. I'll give that album a try.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am 

Not sure you'll like it, Sir Doomsday.

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 pm 

I've always been Huge fan of Black Sabbath in particular Ozzy era but Bobby Liebling is a landmark in doom music
I've started with Old material of the seventies and for a long time the two compilation FIRST DAZE HERE VINTAGE COLLECTION and FIRST DAZE HERE TOO were my favourite listening...the 70 material is killer..This downer rock influenced by heavy psych is cool and the obscurity of the tracks like Forever my queen-When the screams come-Review your choices-Be forewarned-Ask no more-Show em'how blow me away
Then I've purchased another impressive compilation of 70 material..Bedemon stuff that impress me much adding a lot of in terms of obscurity and evilness to the Pentagram music..
then Relentless (my favourite Pentagram release) and Day of reckoning and Review four Choices (the last effort that i like) and the controversy (in my opinion) Be Forewarned..
I like Pentagram and thanks god i've discovered another band that seems a perfect mix between Bobby Leibling band and Black Sabbath (master of reality period)..this band is IRON MAN..
absolutely amazing and The first album BLACK NIGHT is actually my obesssion..i consider it a true masterpiece and i put it in the same conversation of great milestones of the genres..This guitar player has killer riff and great playing in general and not sound generic imitator of Tony Iommi but has own personality..The vocals is not the best you can listen but the songwriting is outstanding and i cannot find even one filler track.. :o
The second album is a great album too with another and more skilled singer and more heavy metal oriented..
What do you think guys?there are others band with this cool downer rock Pentagramish sound?

Dead_Joe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:48 am 

Give Sweden's Witchcraft a try:

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Witchcraft/18938

Also wanna give a mention to Solace for their cover of Forever My Queen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uazVmFhO7s

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I need to hear the new Iron Man! But talking of bands with "iron" in their names, I heard Iron Heel yesterday, cool doom/stoner (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Iro ... 3540332478). Not the most original name ever but nice stuff.

Free album on bandcamp: http://music.iron-heel.com/

About Church of Void, I like them but it's really nothing outstanding.

Great album especially the lyrics are awesome

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:44 pm 

Witchcraft is a legit and obvious recommendation. Check out their peers Burning Saviours as well. Hell they're even named after the Pentagram song from Day of Reckoning.

Wino's projects such as The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan and The Hidden Hand. Check them out asap if you haven't yet.

Goatsnake. Greg Anderson's guitar tone is a total treat. Fatass meaty juicy goodness! He's better known as Stephen O'Malley's companion in Sunn O))) by the way.

Alice in Chains. Well, I guess you're already familiar with the name. If not then give them a try as well. You can avoid their melancholic, bluesy acoustic material if it's not your cup of tea but their heavy stuff is essential for any stoner/doom/sludge fan. Cantrell's playing is massively inspired by the likes of Iommi, Victor Griffin and he has got his own style as well.

Hour of 13. Phil Swanson's vocals are more of an emulation of Ozzy rather than Bobby Liebling nonetheless they play classic doom in the vein of Sabbath and Pentagram and you could give them a try.

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:38 am 

Hi. I'm looking for a drone/doom band that is crushingly heavy and metallic to the bone. Think along the lines of the first Earth album, Khanate or maybe Bunkur with less excessive song lengths. I do not want a single trace of ambient, I want a bulldozer of slow, heavy riffs. Thanks in advance!

And don't recommend me bands with names like "Bong", I won't even bother listening to them.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20 pm 

@doomster - I already know that Horn of the Rhino album and it's a really good one. Zoroaster were not bad, a band I've been meaning to check out.

@don'tlivefastjustdie - really enjoyed Sons of Tonatiuh, like how prominent the hardcore was. Still need to check out the rest.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:47 pm 

I have nothing to say right now but:

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:49 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Was really drawn in by the hype surrounding them and the great cover art... but I'm just not getting it. Really forgettable sound to me. I feel like this and The Body are two bands Im really missing out on; yet I don't really care about what I hear.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:54 am 

droneriot wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for a drone/doom band that is crushingly heavy and metallic to the bone. Think along the lines of the first Earth album, Khanate or maybe Bunkur with less excessive song lengths. I do not want a single trace of ambient, I want a bulldozer of slow, heavy riffs. Thanks in advance!

And don't recommend me bands with names like "Bong", I won't even bother listening to them.

You can check my recs in this recent thread. Nothing exactly along the lines of Earth and Khanate but all of them are very much metallic and play mammoth sized riffs without being overtly plodding and monotonous.

Last.fm

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Was really drawn in by the hype surrounding them and the great cover art... but I'm just not getting it. Really forgettable sound to me. I feel like this and The Body are two bands Im really missing out on; yet I don't really care about what I hear.

That's possible.

droneriot wrote:

Why not bands with names like Bong? You really judge a band on the name? Well, whatever you say, you're the one missing out, haha. Besides, it's up to you if you listen to them or not, of course. It's not like you're doing us a favour by letting us recommend you bands. Anyway, having that said:

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:13 pm 

Finally got hear the comeback album from Coven 13 aka Coven. Not really a fan of Worship New Gods. The stand out tracks on that album were the gothier ones, so I'm pleased to hear a further development of the sound on Destiny of the Gods. The idiosyncratic combination of gothic rock, doom and epic heavy metal really appeals to me this time around. For once the comeback album is better than the original. A rare event. I think Metantoine told y'all to avoid this album. I say don't avoid it if you're looking for something different! It's not a masterpiece but it's also far from mediocre. Two songs are available on Bandcamp.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:15 am 

Guys. Guys! HEEEY YOOOUUUUU GUUUUUYS!

Did you all know The Black exists? I was combing the "similar artists" tab looking for something in the Paul Chain/Black Hole mold. I had seen them in the SKR webstore before but passed them over for a somewhat generic name. Big mistake. It's not quite as spaced out as something like Paul Chain, and I think it may actually be better for it. Some REALLY heavy riffing getting thrown around. And their production choices fit me like an old glove.

The Omega Order are running a little promo right now so I snagged two The Black albums. One of which is two albums in itself!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:41 am 

Simply because you screamed at me Jonpo I'm not going to listen to the band you posted.

Whoever posted Toadliquor up there though is awesome, they're unique and really heavy.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:09 pm 

Be sure to check out Requiem too, Mario Di Donato's band before The Black. More yumminess hiding behind a generic name.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:25 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Simply because you screamed at me Jonpo I'm not going to listen to the band you posted.

Whoever posted Toadliquor up there though is awesome, they're unique and really heavy.

You're welcome.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

Listen to them because I also recommend them then! I recently featured them on the Metal Archives Facebook page!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm 

Huh, I didn't know that! They seem to be a bit of a gem, or at least I'm hoping to find them so. I've been reading a lot of off-site reviews for them at work. I guess a lot of people consider them more heavy metal than doom and I can see that. It seems like almost every song I sampled had a change-up that included a trad-based riff. I'm really excited for the two albums to get here so I can see what's what.

I thought it was weird that the reviews unanimously decried the vocals. I thought they really fit the Catholic/Latin vibe.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm 

*shrugs* I never thought much of The Black. They do seem like they ought to be another Dark Quarterer, but they ain't. The aesthetic is neat enough, but the songwriting just never seems to come together to my satisfaction.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:50 am 

That's funny, I was just explaining to Jeremy earlier how I never really got into DQ as much as I wanted to. Nepi's voice and the anti-production are beautiful but I sort of just lose interest after Colossus of Argil.

I can hear the weight of their compositions, and how into it they are, but the whole business feels like it needs more meaty riffs to anchor the songs down. My attention floats away too easily. So I'm definitely not looking for The Black to be anything like Dark Quarterer. Black Hole and Paul Chain's Detaching from Satan were my benchmarks at first, but The Black don't really fit that mold either. Not obscure or occult enough atmosphere. They seem far more ham-fisted with the song structures. They actually reminded me of Arghoslent/GBK a bit that way, all the dynamics coming from really obvious switches from slow-to-fast or fast-to-slow, but the transition being made with such a bad ass riff that I don't mind how transparent it is.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 am 

The Black is no Dark Quarterer. DQ is majestic and weird (and absolutely wonderful!) and although the last album (2008?) was exasperating (a tad) for its lengthily drawn out sections, it still has moments that are effective and sublime. The Black is ok too but not as idiosyncratic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 133  Next