Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:02 pm 

djcampblood wrote:
I'm looking for stuff that's extremely similar to any one of these bands: Weedeater, Dopethrone, or Electric Wizard**...

**(So far I haven't been able to find anything that actually SOUNDS a lot like Electric Wizard... initially, I thought it would be an easy task since you'd be hard-pressed to find a band that doesn't cite some of their albums as influences. I even checked out Ramesses since it's made up of two ex-Wizard members, although their sound is quite different.)

http://youtu.be/OxIvOdgYhOw
Try Goya

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:46 pm 

I would like to hear some utterly bleak, apocalyptic, ultra-slow sludge/doom with a good combination of harsh vocals and clean singing. I enjoy both male and female vocals, so either is fine. I prefer there be little to no stoner/psychedelic rock influences (though I do understand that sort of things tends to be relatively unavoidable with this style of music). Drone and funeral doom influences, however, are very much welcome.

Yakui IX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:34 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
I would like to hear some utterly bleak, apocalyptic, ultra-slow sludge/doom. . .

They're somewhat restrained when compared to the likes of Bloody Panda (though, conversely, and more bleak than Cough), but have you tried Lordamor yet?

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 am 

Green Yeti is an amazing stone psychedelic doom metal band. https://greenyeti.bandcamp.com

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:33 pm 

I suggest everyone check out Green Yeti. They are a stone psychedelic doom metal band. https://greenyeti.bandcamp.com

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:06 pm 

try Sea of Bones and Wolvserpent; this IS bleak.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:56 pm 

TheUnhinged wrote:
I would like to hear some utterly bleak, apocalyptic, ultra-slow sludge/doom with a good combination of harsh vocals and clean singing. I enjoy both male and female vocals, so either is fine. I prefer there be little to no stoner/psychedelic rock influences (though I do understand that sort of things tends to be relatively unavoidable with this style of music). Drone and funeral doom influences, however, are very much welcome.

Kodiak might fit the bill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4soLzj_8t94

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:06 pm 

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking for depressive sludge/crust with strong bm influences, or vice-versa. Something in the lines of Entropia and Agrimonia. I'm extremelly new to sludge/crust and the likes, so fell free to recommend the most obvious stuff.

SufferingQuota
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:52 pm 

I'd like to check out more bands in the style of Weedeater and Bongzilla. Especially bands with that guitar tone and those harsh vocals. Any recommendations?

KEISER - Black metal

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:15 pm 

SufferingQuota wrote:
I'd like to check out more bands in the style of Weedeater and Bongzilla. Especially bands with that guitar tone and those harsh vocals. Any recommendations?

You might like Dopefight from the UK...bit like Britain's Bongzilla :)

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:36 pm 

SufferingQuota wrote:

Zoroaster - Dog Magic

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:49 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
SufferingQuota wrote:

Zoroaster - Dog Magic

Buzzov'en, Dopethrone, Beelzebong and every other weed induced stoner/doom band.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:23 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm looking for depressive sludge/crust with strong bm influences, or vice-versa. Something in the lines of Entropia and Agrimonia. I'm extremelly new to sludge/crust and the likes, so fell free to recommend the most obvious stuff.

Would recommend Gaza, Geraniüm, Abraham, Generation of Vipers, Rorcal, Deuil...

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:39 pm 

The fucked up sludge of Cough mixed with the epic doom of Candlemass?

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

Would recommend Gaza, Geraniüm, Abraham, Generation of Vipers, Rorcal, Deuil...

Great recs! GoV rips!

ElectricBasement
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:49 am 

Just wondering if anyone could recommend me some older bands similar to The Devils Blood. I'd like to find some more psychedelic, occult rock bands if anyone wants to share. I've been getting into Wishbone Ash and Blue Oyster Cult and keen to find more.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:23 pm 

ElectricBasement wrote:
Just wondering if anyone could recommend me some older bands similar to The Devils Blood. I'd like to find some more psychedelic, occult rock bands if anyone wants to share. I've been getting into Wishbone Ash and Blue Oyster Cult and keen to find more.

Coven

ElectricBasement
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:08 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
ElectricBasement wrote:

Coven

Thanks mate, really enjoying this at the moment. If you know any more feel free to post them.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:02 am 

ElectricBasement wrote:
Thanks mate, really enjoying this at the moment. If you know any more feel free to post them.

Sabbath Assembly
Purson
Black Widow
Wicked Lady
Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
The fucked up sludge of Cough mixed with the epic doom of Candlemass?

This is something I would like to hear more of as well. The closest comparison I could make would be Chrch from California. Their style takes melodic, dreamy sounding doom with clean vocals, and combines it with some really nasty, funeral doomy/sludgy stuff with screams. It perhaps leans more towards Cough than Candlemass, but the cleaner, more epic sections are a nice tossup nonetheless.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:13 pm 

ElectricBasement wrote:

Always nice to see someone mentioning Wishbone Ash :) I got to see them live a few years back and it was killer. And everyone must have been at least twice my age, hahaha...

Year of the Goat are instrumentally pretty similar to The Devil's Blood; also have the guy who sung in Griftegard on vocals. Check out This Will Be Mine from their debut.

Blood Ceremony are one of my favorites in this rough genre. Goodbye Gemini is possibly their most immediately catchy track, I know it's gotten a few friends of mine hooked. Their earlier material (first two albums) had much more of a doom metal element present, but with the more recent two (a new one just came out a month or so back) it's been less pronounced if at all. More of vaguely folksy heavy psych.

Purson are another band I've been listening to a lot lately. They've also got a new album out, though it's steered in a more 60's psych-pop direction. This track, Electric Landlady, might be the heaviest track, though. Cute title.

Jess and the Ancient Ones' debut is pretty killer. Had members of Demilich playing on it. Here's the opening track, Prayer for Death and Fire. They released a new one recently, but I wasn't sure how I felt about it. The Demilich burper/guitarist left beforehand tho :( no burps, no sick riffs, no care.

edit: goddamnit, I missed the "older bands" part. Well, I'm not gonna delete this, but apologies.

Someone already mentioned Coven and I'll second them - definitely worth checking out. The White Witch of Rose Hall is probably the track to check out.

Black Widow was also mentioned. Occult prog rock that definitely had some sort of influence on this all. Here's Attack of the Demon from their debut, Sacrifice. They always seemed a bit goofy to me at times, but I dig 'em.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:11 am 

occult, psychedelic and doom and vintage... maybe check out Blue Cheer, Night Sun ('living with the dying' is very doomy indeed) and The Obsessed.

Nagash_343
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:35 pm 

Any good Blackened Sludge band/album ?

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:33 am 

Also check out Ecocide if you like them.

Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 am 

Hmm, I'm looking for old-school 80's Traditional Doom along the lines of Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, and Saint Vitus. Anyone got anything?

Also, does anyone have any 70's Proto-Doom stylings along the lines of Bedemon? That would be pretty cool.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 am 

Nagash_343 wrote:
Any good Blackened Sludge band/album ?

Fleshpress/ Pillars
Grey Widow
Coffinworm

I'd say Primitive Man is blackened enough too... Very popular band they are...

AlaRegularis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm 

If you like doom, sludge & stonermetal, you should give my band, Pike, a listen.
You can find us here: http://pike.bandcamp.com and here: http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden

http://pike.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/PikeSweden
http://pikesweden.bigcartel.com
http://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyRecords

Last edited by Metantoine on Wed May 25, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMed and informed of our promotion rules.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:12 pm 

Anybody care to give me their personal top 5 doom albums?

Having a hard time finding anything that really sticks to me.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 pm 

BURlAL wrote:

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Pentagram - Day of Reckoning
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend
Church of Misery - ...And Then There Were None

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:12 am 

BURlAL wrote:

depends a lot on your usual taste in music, the background you're coming from... Doom is quite a multifaceted genre. It can be very traditional or very experimental, mate with death and black metal, or stick to a classic vintage rock formula...
The list the guy above me gives you is very traditional, With Pentagram and BS, you have two of the most prominent forefathers of the genre... I don't know if that's what you're after. People in here will likely give you recs that'll go in all directions.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:49 am 

Morphine1873 wrote:
People in here will likely give you recs that'll go in all directions.

True, though we can all agree that 'Master Of Reality' is in everyones top 5 Doom list.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:12 am 

Not really. I'm not a big fan of Ozzy's vocals

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:59 pm 

Morphine1873 wrote:
BURlAL wrote:

depends a lot on your usual taste in music, the background you're coming from... Doom is quite a multifaceted genre. It can be very traditional or very experimental, mate with death and black metal, or stick to a classic vintage rock formula...
The list the guy above me gives you is very traditional, With Pentagram and BS, you have two of the most prominent forefathers of the genre... I don't know if that's what you're after. People in here will likely give you recs that'll go in all directions.

I want peoples personal favorites so I will get recs that I normally wouldnt ask for. The list above was actually some of my personal favs, others would be My Dying Bride/Danzig/Type O Negative/Cough....so anything else?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 pm 

BURlAL wrote:

I want peoples personal favorites so I will get recs that I normally wouldnt ask for. The list above was actually some of my personal favs.

I could give you some of my more obscure favorites, if you wish.

Ah what the hell, I will, and you can do with it what you will.

Antonius Rex - Neque Semper Arcum Tendit Rex (Antonius Rex is mostly a prog rock band, but this album is pretty much doom metal)
Black Hole - Land of Mystery, Living Mask (Land of Mystery is the fan favorite, but Living Mask is really good too. Just beware the awful drum programming in Living Mask!)
Glow - Dive into the Sun
Funeral Circle - Funeral Circle
Minotauri - Minotauri

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:15 pm 

There was a top 150 Doom metal list voted by metal archives members a few years ago. Try searching for it, really helpful.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 am 

Looking for any type of doom metal with dream pop style female vocals.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:24 am 

BURlAL wrote:

I want peoples personal favorites so I will get recs that I normally wouldnt ask for. The list above was actually some of my personal favs, others would be My Dying Bride/Danzig/Type O Negative/Cough....so anything else?

You'll end up with 300+ recs and you'll be wondering where the hell to begin, if they're all that interesting, if even half of them will be matching your taste...
Obviously, you like it gothic, classic and Danzig... and Sludge too... That's a wide spectrum to begin with...

what I can tell you, is that if you like Cough, you should listen to Thou.
If you like MDB, you should listen to a hundred of other projects of the same type, and often of great quality, such as ... I don't know, there're too many of them. Solitude Prods has released a digital compilation of all of their bands, often melodic death doom stuff, akin to MDB:
https://solitudeproductions.bandcamp.co ... m-solitude

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:48 pm 

Purabid wrote:
Looking for any type of doom metal with dream pop style female vocals.

Trees of Eternity should be what you're looking for. It's atmospheric doom metal mixed with some ethereal wave elements, and very soothing female singing.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:41 am 

Already a fan of Trees of Eternity and familiar with other similar bands. I was wondering whether sludge, stoner or drone use similar types of vocals. But any funeral or death/doom I don't know of will do as well.

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:31 am 

maybe Ison?
http://ison444.bandcamp.com/releases

(although I'mnot quite sure what "dream pop" actually may sound like...!)

That being stated, Ison is an awesome and unique ethereal droney doomy project that is definitely worth a listen.. and the purchase of the album eventually.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 133  Next