Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:00 pm 

Yes! That is exactly the kind of stuff I am after, thank you!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:41 pm 

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/occultation ... ess-stream

A new track from the upcoming Occultation second album, I like it! Much better than what I remember from their debut.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:19 am 

Jeremy and I were talking about that one last night and it reminded me that I've had Three & Seven for months and hardly ever listen to it. I put it on last night and was surprised to find how short it is. It really just sounds like Negative Plane playing at half speed to me. Which isn't a criticism, I dig it. It just doesn't really have any hooks or catchy parts, it sort of washes over you and then it's done. It's sedate sounding. I vastly prefer Negative Plane but in general I think EMM/Nameless Void is one of the most exciting people writing metal music right now.

The cover for this new album is so striking. It looks very similar to the artwork in the Sweven liner. Same artist?

~Guest 265447
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:52 pm 

Hey guys... never really got into doom and I think I never listened to stoner or sludge. Any tips on how to start into them? It doesn't need to be an album, just songs will be good enough. My only experience with doom was listening to one of the A Pale Horse Named Death albums, but it didn't hooked me.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm 

ClaytonRaikage wrote:
Hey guys... never really got into doom and I think I never listened to stoner or sludge. Any tips on how to start into them? It doesn't need to be an album, just songs will be good enough. My only experience with doom was listening to one of the A Pale Horse Named Death albums, but it didn't hooked me.

If you start with classic doom you can expand from there.

Like your reviews?

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 pm 

Can anyone recommend me unique sounding sludge with darkly humorous lyrics like Acid Bath and Soilent Green

~Guest 265447
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
If you start with classic doom you can expand from there.

I'll give it a listen, thanks mate.

EDIT: WOW! That's pretty great! Thanks a lot.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 am 

Just got in my NWN! order tonight and took my first spin through Cauchemar's Tenebrario. I'm thoroughly impressed. I love Annick's husky voice presiding over the whole thing. I LOVE that they tend to stick to the more uptempo rocking songs, but when they choose to slow down and turn up the mood it's done very tactfully. Le fantome gets major points for the bass leading the charge with that killer riff. Adored the title track/outro as well, very minimalist with those perfectly intoned bell chimes closing the ritual. Good call Toine. Good call.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:40 am 

Cauchemar is just one of those generic sounding female fronted part hard rock part doom band. One of my friends saw them with Dying Embrace at Trendslaughter Fest, Bangalore a couple of years back and got bored to death.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:48 am 

ColeMiner wrote:
Can anyone recommend me unique sounding sludge with darkly humorous lyrics like Acid Bath and Soilent Green

Don't you know the Melvins?

And here's Melvins' fiance!

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Cauchemar is just one of those generic sounding female fronted part hard rock part doom band.

This is so incorrect that it's hard for me to believe you've actually heard them! But I'm sure you wouldn't comment on their sound without hearing them so I'm just confused. I didn't hear a single thing "hard rock" about their sound. It was pure heavy metal, verging on traditional territory in the speedier moments. I didn't hear anything I'd consider generic, although they blatantly weren't trying to break new ground or do something weird. I thought Annick's husky incantations fit the riffs perfectly, loved her delivery. There ARE lots of generic female fronted doom bands but Blood Ceremony and Cauchemar stand apart for me.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:03 am 

I've used the term 'hard rock' for the uptempo parts. There's a thin line between hard rock and metal that many bands employ in their sound. I'm talking about bands like Deep Purple, Fu Manchu, Clutch, Monster Magnet etc. I'm talking about 70's blues based heavy rock (or if you prefer the cliches such as stoner, grunge etc.) not the Bon Jovi-esque hard rock. The problem is this heap of female fronted occult rock/metal bands just don't do it for me. Of course there are other female fronted bands that I like such as Kylesa and Witch Mountain or the solo project of Rose Kemp but that's about it.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 am 

There's no hard rock in Cauchemar, none whatsoever and they're killer live! I'm glad you like them, Jonpo, their next album will be pretty progressive! They even covered Rush's The Temples of Syrinx live.

A pretty cool new Swedish trad doom band with some folky influences! Ignore the shitty video though.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm glad you like them, Jonpo, their next album will be pretty progressive!

I've only had a chance to spin it once so far but I'm reasonably impressed. That song I posted on Jeremy's FB is probably my favorite at the moment but I'm not sure I'd say it's the "best", if that makes sense. I'm just a sucker for the bass work leading the charge in La fantome. I sure wish I could speak the language but it's still fun to read along with the lyrics. Somehow I don't think it would be as powerful in english. The layout and inserts are beautiful as well. Really textured parchment like paper with great lettering, looks like it was written with ink/quill.

Unrelated to doom but weren't you talking about Emptiness recently Toine? I just got Nothing But the Whole in the same haul. Trying to drum up some talk about it in the FFA but these dum dums would rather discuss fedoras unfortunately.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:55 am 

EMPTINESS ISN'T DOOM! :getout: We've talked about them here: viewtopic.php?p=2442973#p2442973 But yeah, very good band, Dark Descent rarely release shitty stuff.

I have a tape copy of this Cauchemar album, pretty cool one. I think my favorite song might be Le feu du soleil or the opener "D'encre et de sang".
Their lyrics are pretty nice. Here's two extracts I translated for you!

When a wind from hell
Fell on the cemetery
When the sky turns to flame
Rides a horseman without a soul

Long years of suffering has pushed me
Towards the temple with the golden roof
Like a snake, transformed
My older skin remained there

Of ink and blood
Of black and white
The power of the ancients
Liberate my destiny

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm 

ARRGGGHHH those are fucking killer! I would never complain about a band writing in their native tongue. What I WILL complain about is that we don't have some kind of earwigs that burrow into your skull and do on the fly translations. Why doesn't that exist yet?

Hahah I know they're not doom. I finally threw enough of a fit to get a few people jabbing about them in the FFA. That thread you linked has seemed kind of dead so I was just gonna leave it alone there. I'm not as sold on DDR, but then again I hardly listen to any death metal at all these days. Calling Emptiness death metal feels wrong to me. It's something completely nebulous.

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
A pretty cool new Swedish trad doom band with some folky influences! Ignore the shitty video though.

Yea, saw the album up on a well-known metal d/l site a few hours ago. Cool indeed. Reminds me of Cathedral at least improvisation-wise. Beautiful artwork and I liked the video as well.

Last.fm

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:26 pm 

ClaytonRaikage wrote:
sludge. how to start

Start with the best sludge metal band ever (and the only sludge I listen to): Crowbar!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIGhfbrlj0

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Order of Israfel

I like!
Reminds me of Count Raven, especially the singers phrasing.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:35 am 

Listening to Cross Vault's debut for the first time and I'm thoroughly impressed. Vocals are like a cross between Pat Walker and Alan Averill which is awesome.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 am 

So way back when I checked out The Wizar'd's EP Follow the Wizard, and then forgot about it for years. I'm on kind of a doom kick now so I checked it out again and I dig it - and I also see they have three fucking albums now! Are they all as good as this EP?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:10 am 

I'm a big fan of The Wizar'd and I'll give you the god's honest: Infernal Wizardry fucking sucks. It just does. The Follow the Wizard EP was charming in the way it was short and sweet and had the most ungodly loud bass sound. But the follow up blows. However, they changed their style up a lot after that. Pathways into Darkness brought shorter songs, more catchy melodies and hooks, and most importantly he found a singing voice instead of that droning nothing he used to do. He now sounds like a sniveling second-in-command to a cult leader, one of my favorite voices in doom. Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge improved on Pathways, which was already a huge leap forward in their sound. It's faster and even MORE concise/catchy. I'd start with that one and work your way back to Pathways if it interests you.

They never did anything else like the Follow the Wizard EP, but their newer style is leagues beyond that. The new one is full of badass gallops and occult atmosphere. Highly recommended, even though it's honestly not what you're looking for.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:58 pm 

Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge is fucking excellent and perhaps the best doom album of 2013, I went a bit overboard with my review for it. I like their other stuff to a certain degree but this album, man, wow.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:10 pm 

Guess that's the one I'll check out first then. Thanks guys.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:39 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

That The Order of Israfel album sure drags a lot. I wish they had the songwriting skills of a Count Raven or a Lord Vicar to make a 65 min album work but clearly they don't. Average, passable doom at best. Wouldn't recommend.

doomster999 wrote:
Listening to Cross Vault's debut for the first time and I'm thoroughly impressed. Vocals are like a cross between Pat Walker and Alan Averill which is awesome.

Here's a much better album. The Warning cover is completely useless but the original songs are quite good. Hell, some are even great. "At Our Bleakest" is one of this year's best doom songs, in my opinion. Chestnut trees, for the win! (That's a lyrical reference.)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 am 

It seems Black Hole's second album, Living Mask, was reissued by the Italian label Jolly Roger, and I didn't even know it. I found it available on High Roller Records' website: http://www.hrrshop.de/BLACK-HOLE-Living-Mask-CD_1

The album was recorded in 1988, but not released until 2000, by the label Andromeda Relics. Most of the comments I've seen about it are negative, but I really like it a lot. To me, the only negative element is the poorly programmed drums, but after a while, even those fit the music perfectly.

If you want to make up your own mind about it, before ordering, I have all the tracks uploaded on my youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/user/DMA83/videos. I ripped these from the 2000 release, I do not know what the reissue sounds like. My favorite tracks are Living Masks, The Dark Theatre, and Black Hole. The main riff from The Dark Theatre was originally used in one of the versions of Black Hole found on the Beyond the Gravestone demo.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 am 

Yeah, I'm pleased Living Mask was finally reissued and picked up the CD a while back. It's really a non-essential album though, unless you want to complete your Black Hole collection. It also helps if you're a fan of dark Italian prog-rock because I wouldn't really call it a doom metal album even if the sound is kind of depressive and gloomy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Yeah, I'm pleased Living Mask was finally reissued and picked up the CD a while back. It's really a non-essential album though, unless you want to complete your Black Hole collection. It also helps if you're a fan of dark Italian prog-rock because I wouldn't really call it a doom metal album even if the sound is kind of depressive and gloomy.

Got any recommendations for similar dark Italian prog-rock, aside from Jacula and Antonius Rex? Or anything similar to Living Mask?

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 am 

Doomsday wrote:
doomster999 wrote:

Here's a much better album. The Warning cover is completely useless but the original songs are quite good. Hell, some are even great. "At Our Bleakest" is one of this year's best doom songs, in my opinion. Chestnut trees, for the win! (That's a lyrical reference.)

Yes, all songs are good. Warning's cover is....well just another cover but fairly done. The main riff of "A Query in Chains" is one of the most hypnotic, melancholic and gloomiest riffs I've ever heard and I love every bit of those amazing introspective vocals. Judging from this impressive debut the follow-up would be immense. I'll write a review shortly.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:02 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Doomsday wrote:

Got any recommendations for similar dark Italian prog-rock, aside from Jacula and Antonius Rex? Or anything similar to Living Mask?

Check out Focus Indulgens' 2nd album for dark prog rock/doom, excellent stuff http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fo ... nes/325275

I guess you should check out Hands of Orlac as well if you dig Blood Ceremony.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:29 am 

Metantoine wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Check out Focus Indulgens' 2nd album for dark prog rock/doom, excellent stuff http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fo ... nes/325275

I guess you should check out Hands of Orlac as well if you dig Blood Ceremony.

I just listened to the Folcus Indulgens album. It was alright, not but not really what I was requesting with that particular post.

I have actually already ordered the Hands of Orlac CD from Hells Headbangers, waiting for it to arrive (with a couple of other CDs).

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:11 pm 

Thoughts on The Sabbathian, Chad Davis (Hour of 13) new band? Almost dismissed them after my first listen because it's not immediately memorable but it's growing on me now. Sort of sounds like Nemesis (Edling's band) but with a female vocalist. "Nightshade Eternal" is a really cool song.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:17 am 

Well, I'm trying to get into (modern) Paradise Lost, I'd like to know other albums that sound like Faith Divides Us Death Unites Us, and not their gothic/electronic stuff. Anyone knows?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 pm 

After In Requiem all albums sound more or less alike. ;)

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:13 am 

Doomsday wrote:
Thoughts on The Sabbathian, Chad Davis (Hour of 13) new band? Almost dismissed them after my first listen because it's not immediately memorable but it's growing on me now. Sort of sounds like Nemesis (Edling's band) but with a female vocalist. "Nightshade Eternal" is a really cool song.

I get the Nemesis vibe, but it also reminds me a lot of Hour of 13 (no surprise I guess). Almost like Hour of 13 with a less overt NWOBHM influence (and a female vocalist of course).
I enjoy it quite a bit, and look forward to seeing what they'll do with a full length.

The last Hour of 13 material moved in a slightly different direction, possibly because Chad was on vocals so I'd imagine the two projects co-existed for a time.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 am 

New Alunah is pretty damn decent. Always thought of the band as solid without any exceptional qualities, and I'd still describe them as solid, but this new album feels stronger. Nice, heavy slacker-sound in that Acid King meets Mourn kind of way. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like lying in a meadow on a sunny summer day, ahem...or something. Napalm Records really isn't my go to label for doom metal but they did good this time. Probably just a fluke. Anyway, won't hurt you to check it out. Wiccan goddess wills it!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 am 

Went to a brick and mortar music store today and found Trouble's self titled used for $19.99. Almost bought it, but I ended up putting it back on the shelf. I already have a promo copy. But my promo copy isn't like most promo CDs. It's not in a cardboard slipcase, it's in a jewel case with full artwork, without any of the inserts cut or punched. However, on the disc itself, is a red ink stamp that says, "PROMOTIONAL" on it. I was wondering if the copy I found there was the same way. That possibility, and the facts that I already have a promo copy and that I found more stuff I want to buy, made me put it back. Next time I go I will be looking out for it. But who knows when that will be. It may be gone by the next time I go.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:22 pm 

Doom album of 2015, calling it.

doomster999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 am 

^ Holy shit....that cover! :bow: It reminds me of the Elder Scrolls series which is an added advantage. But also to keep in mind that Dread Sovereign's debut full-length's artwork was awesome as well.... :-P

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 am 

Looks like something DoomSword would have used, although they would have zoomed in on the horse and the rider. Can't be epic without horses apparently? Their demo showed a lot of promise so I'm hoping for a good album with replay value.

And rate the new God-Shroud, Tony.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 133  Next