Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Whiskey_Bonbons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 am 

I'm looking for a really fun traditional doom metal band. Cool riffs is a must of course, and vocalist with a nasal voice- a huge plus.
Here are some albums that I like:
Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Dooms
Arkham Witch - Legions of the Deep
Ogre (really into these guys)
Blood Farmers - Blood Farmers
Moonless - Calling All Demons

I already know of Witchfinder General and Pagan Altar (which is my favorite band).
I know that some stoner metal might fit my request, but most stoner albums bore me. But I'll give it a try if it's good.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 am 

Feel like I gotta throw a Briton Rites your way.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:36 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Yep. Second that. Briton Rites and all other bands that include Phil Swanson (a.k.a Ozzy jr.) e.g. Hour of 13, Seamount etc. The Gates of Slumber is filled with uber cool riffs which you're looking for but Karl Simon's vocals are clean and bellowing, not necessarily nasal.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

+1 .. well .. actually now it' s 2 :thumbsup:

Never heard of Seamount before. I is enjoying. Love it when doom bands make me want to make doom.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 am 

Looking for mournful and melodic stuff that's a hybrid of black metal, doom, and sludge and is VERY similar to Hell's III. I particularly like the use of tremolo riffs juxtaposed with slower drums and guitar/bass hitting sustaining notes.

http://loweryourhead.bandcamp.com/album/hell-iii

I love the band's sound and style for this release (much better than their other work). Particularly, the guitar's devastating crunch and the song structure are what really gets me. Recs don't have to be long songs, or include clean guitar, but must sound similar to this album.

Thanks!

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Looking for mournful and melodic stuff that's a hybrid of black metal, doom, and sludge and is VERY similar to Hell's III. I particularly like the use of tremolo riffs juxtaposed with slower drums and guitar/bass hitting sustaining notes.

I love the band's sound and style for this release (much better than their other work). Particularly, the guitar's devastating crunch and the song structure are what really gets me. Recs don't have to be long songs, or include clean guitar, but must sound similar to this album.

Thanks!

REALLY digging this. I'm so picky about slow jams that most doom doesn't appeal to me but man, this is great. Fantastic songwriting/arrangements. Would be very interested to hear similar stuff as well.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:00 pm 

I'm looking for more growled vocals in the stoner/sludge/doom genre. Thor's Hammer, Winter, Acid Witch, and Cathedral's first are about all I know of so far. No funeral or death/doom suggestions please. Thanks in advance!

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:16 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
I'm looking for more growled vocals in the stoner/sludge/doom genre. Thor's Hammer, Winter, Acid Witch, and Cathedral's first are about all I know of so far. No funeral or death/doom suggestions please. Thanks in advance!

Winter and Thorr's Hammer are not sludge/stoner/doom. Anyway, check out Bevar Sea. Ganesh Krishnaswamy delivers those raspy/growled vocals you're looking for. Also Church of Misery, one of the main influences of Bevar Sea. Apart from that Acid Bath, Eyehategod, YOB, Ramesses and whole bunch of other bands. Enjoy these for the time being. Come back for more recommendations when you're done or you could use the site's advanced search function for more bands.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Grimbeard wrote:

Winter and Thorr's Hammer are not sludge/stoner/doom. Anyway, check out Bevar Sea. Ganesh Krishnaswamy delivers those raspy/growled vocals you're looking for. Also Church of Misery, one of the main influences of Bevar Sea. Apart from that Acid Bath, Eyehategod, YOB, Ramesses and whole bunch of other bands. Enjoy these for the time being. Come back for more recommendations when you're done or you could use the site's advanced search function for more bands.

To clear things up, I meant stoner OR sludge OR doom genre's instead of all three combined. My apologies, but I am aware of what Thor's Hammer and Winter are, and they are pretty fucking doom to my ears.

Thanks for the suggestions though doomster! Bevar Sea were awesome, I JUST started getting into to Church of Misery so this came at a good time. Also about to check out Ramesses when I'm finished posting. Oh, and the advanced search doesn't help me narrow down growled vocals in these genre's. But I do use advanced search like a madman. Today I was looking for doom/stoner/sludge bands that incorporate punk into their sound. Sadly, I didn't like anything that turned up. I think Electric Wizard or Bongzilla + growls + a punk edge would be fucking great =). Thanks again!

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:04 am 

Grimbeard wrote:
To clear things up, I meant stoner OR sludge OR doom genre's instead of all three combined. My apologies, but I am aware of what Thor's Hammer and Winter are, and they are pretty fucking doom to my ears.

Thanks for the suggestions though doomster! Bevar Sea were awesome, I JUST started getting into to Church of Misery so this came at a good time. Also about to check out Ramesses when I'm finished posting. Oh, and the advanced search doesn't help me narrow down growled vocals in these genre's. But I do use advanced search like a madman. Today I was looking for doom/stoner/sludge bands that incorporate punk into their sound. Sadly, I didn't like anything that turned up. I think Electric Wizard or Bongzilla + growls + a punk edge would be fucking great =). Thanks again!

I didn't say Thorr's Hammer and Winter aren't doom. :-P They're death/doom. I just said that they don't fit in the context based on your desired suggestions. As for punk oriented stoner/sludge with growls look no further than Acid Bath. Have you checked them out yet?

Last.fm

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:08 pm 

Anything that sounds like this? Just really minimalistic, simple, trippy stuff like this. Such a great song.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:41 am 

Stoner/ sludge with punk growls you ask ? Acid Bath, YOB, Los Natas and Mistress.

Also, try out Nibiru, weird psychedelic stoner sludge, with growls and clean vocals - http://nibiru666.bandcamp.com/album/caosgon

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:47 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:

Thanks!

REALLY digging this. I'm so picky about slow jams that most doom doesn't appeal to me but man, this is great. Fantastic songwriting/arrangements. Would be very interested to hear similar stuff as well.

reposted for justice.

HerrDerQual
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:23 am 

Can anybody recommend me something that's in the vein of Witchcraft's The Alchemist? (I guess) It's stoner, psychadelic, or whathaveyou, but with a Rush-progressive style feel

were they hot?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:00 am 

HerrDerQual wrote:
Can anybody recommend me something that's in the vein of Witchcraft's The Alchemist? (I guess) It's stoner, psychadelic, or whathaveyou, but with a Rush-progressive style feel

You might wanna try out their latest album, also check out Graveyard, Horisont, Ogre, The Graviators, The Heavy Eyes and first 2 albums by The Obsessed

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 am 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
HerrDerQual wrote:

You might wanna try out their latest album, also check out Graveyard, Horisont, Ogre, The Graviators, The Heavy Eyes and first 2 albums by The Obsessed

I second what my fellow countryman said and I'd like to add Burning Saviours, also from Sweden. Ice Dragon have somewhat Rush and King Crimson vibe in most of their materials but their sound is very different from that particular record or from Witchcraft in general.

Last.fm

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:38 am 

The first two Obsessed albums are genius!

Has anyone listened to Samothrace?

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 pm 

If you just want doom / hard rock ( brilliant work though) without the stoner then Burning Saviours definitely, but if you want a stoner tinge then you wont find it here except maybe a bit on their last album.

@SleightOfVickonomy - Yes Sir, I have come across them

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:

So is the third album, which also happens to be my favorite Obsessed recording. The two negative reviews the album has on this site don't do it justice at all. :grumble:

doomster999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:40 am 

Doomsday wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:

So is the third album, which also happens to be my favorite Obsessed recording. The two negative reviews the album has on this site don't do it justice at all. :grumble:

I like all three albums by The Obsessed as well. :thumbsup: Lunar Womb is my favourite though.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
If you just want doom / hard rock ( brilliant work though) without the stoner then Burning Saviours definitely, but if you want a stoner tinge then you wont find it here except maybe a bit on their last album.

Stoner rock and hard rock are quite synonymous. Both focus on groove and upbeat rhythm sections. The later is more generally used and loosely based.

Last.fm

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 pm 

doomster999 wrote:
Stoner rock and hard rock are quite synonymous. Both focus on groove and upbeat rhythm sections. The later is more generally used and loosely based.

Deep Purple is my favorite stoner rock band..

And Lunar Womb is my fav as well.

cikaragua
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:18 pm 

hey, check Life's Edge from Lithuania, some melodic death/doom metal.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

For anyone here who hasn't listened to Magic Circle's s/t debut...Fucking listen to it. You're welcome.

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:20 am 

^^ I agree with you. Doom metal album of the year for me so far.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 am 

My two cents: Magic Circle's debut is a solid album but it still leaves me fairly cold and uninterested. Possibly because they play it so safe. Listening to the s/t makes me want to change the music to Black Sabbath every time. For my 2013 doom pick (of what I've heard so far) I'll choose Kröwnn's album length demo Hyborian Age. All the tracks on it are really good except the last one which is positively awesome.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am 

I liked that demo, working on a review for it. I like what I hear, but because of the production it lacks a bit of punch that otherwise would have been a massive one if properly recorded.

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
My two cents: Magic Circle's debut is a solid album but it still leaves me fairly cold and uninterested. Possibly because they play it so safe. Listening to the s/t makes me want to change the music to Black Sabbath every time. For my 2013 doom pick (of what I've heard so far) I'll choose Kröwnn's album length demo Hyborian Age. All the tracks on it are really good except the last one which is positively awesome.

Great debut by Kröwnn. The frontman has sort of Peter Steele thing going on specially when he hits the high register.

Last.fm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:26 pm 

All right now! There's a new Acolytes of Moros track available for listening and it sounds pretty fucking awesome to my ears. Looking forward to the EP Illusions of Progress as it could very well be a doom highlight of 2013. The shade of Revelation is found in both the title of the EP and in the song itself.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:43 pm 

I've been listening to Howl recently. Their debut, "Full of Hell" is extremely addictive to listen to. Am looking for similar sludge doom with similar drumming technique

~Guest 312061
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hello,

Could someone please shortly explain why there is no Fu Manchu page? I believe it doesn't contradict the rules: Fu Manchu are metal band)

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:58 pm 

Use this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985 in the future.

But to answer your question: The site considers Fu Manchu more stoner rock than metal.

~Guest 312061
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:12 pm 

thanks for link

glad to see Kyuss are still metal)

doomster999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:22 am 

kidwithdevilhorns wrote:
Hello,

Could someone please shortly explain why there is no Fu Manchu page? I believe it doesn't contradict the rules: Fu Manchu are metal band)

Fu Manchu has some metallic songs. But they're actually pretty much borderline, much like Clutch. Metal or not both bands are great nonetheless.

Last.fm

cikaragua
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:15 am 

Check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473qGP1y0AY new stuff from Life's Edge death/doom band

doomster999

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 am 

cikaragua wrote:
Check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473qGP1y0AY new stuff from Life's Edge death/doom band

Pretty good. Reminded me of early Swallow the Sun. Next time use this thread to post death/doom and funeral doom bands. :)

Last.fm

Fuzz_Pedal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:

Thanks!

Bell Witch-Longing (2012) might be what you're looking for.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am 

Fuzz_Pedal wrote:
FleshMonolith wrote:

Thanks!

Bell Witch-Longing (2012) might be what you're looking for.

Wow thought I was forgotten about!

Bell Witch's pretty good... just wish it'd speed up a bit here and there... and use some black metal riffing... but still, not bad. And the fact that it's all bass? Pretty cool. Thanks

PostMagne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm 

I have been trying to get into doom for a bit but I haven't been making much progress. I liked the song Dopethrone but I can't really get into the rest of the rest of the album yet maybe after a few more listens. It just seems kind of boring after a while and makes me want to listen to something else. I liked Draconian's - Arcane Rain Fell well the parts where he is actually growling don't really like the parts where he is just speaking and just a little bit to much female vocals besides that I really like this album especially the vocalists growls. I don't really know where to go from here can you guys please give me some recs? Or do I need to give you more information?

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Bell Witch's pretty good... just wish it'd speed up a bit here and there... and use some black metal riffing... but still, not bad. And the fact that it's all bass? Pretty cool. Thanks

This doesn't really fit in with your request but the bass player's other band Samothrace is well worth checking out as well if you're not already familiar with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-sTEPexBKw

Gorz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 pm 

Weed Priest, anyone? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wee ... 3540330542
I've got high hopes for their debut which i will be DLing soon.
Without God is also very good: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wit ... 3540315323
fans of EW rejoice!

Is there any band that plays a mixture of stoner doom and death metal with satanic lyrics/atmosphere in an old school way?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 133  Next