Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Merthod
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm 

Hi, I really like female voices but I do hate when they use Gothic style or soprano as Midnattsol, Nightwish and such bands.

I'm looking for beautiful "natural" female voices in metal as the one you can hear in Ayreon. It doesn't matter if it's not the main vocal but the more present is better.

No female shrieking nor growling.

If possible in these genres: power, speed, progressive, alternative, nothing "too heavy".

Thank you.

Karlabos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:44 pm 

Does sludge/stoner count as "too heavy"? If so, there's a whole trend of femal fronted sludge/doom going on.
For instance Black Moth, True Widow, Subrosa and so on...

Also Julie Christmas, the best voice ever. =p

Female fronted power and progressive metal sound interesting. I've asked on the power metal thread long ago and they recommended me some old school power female fronted bands (and they probably will again on the comments below) but I remember the vocals sounding too forced, like the girl was trying to mime a male power metal voice, so it didn't really do for me and I ended up forgetting the bands names.
If you manage to find any prog/speed/power with natural female voice give me a shout, I'd like to hear that too. ^.^

Erosion of Humanity
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:22 pm 

Are you cool with thrash? There's a pretty bad ass female thrash trio from Brazil called Nervosa.

Metantoine
Notre bébé ours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:32 pm 

SubRosa are indeed a great rec, they're not sludge at all though!

Some recs I gave in other similar threads, mostly doom and the likes:
viewtopic.php?p=2521624#p2521624
viewtopic.php?p=2521624#p2521624

Check out Madder Mortem as well, solid band with awesome vocals like you're looking for.
Youtube: show
it's almost not a hamburger anymore it's just a pile of cheese. And for me I love me a Pile of cheese any day!

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:43 pm 

I'll post links later when I'm not on my phone, but the most obvious rec out there is Doro Pesch. I'm not familiar with her solo albums but her time in Warlock was some excellent early trad/speed metal. She basically sings her damn lungs out as hard as humanly possible before it just becomes shouting at the top of her lungs.

Sinergy is another rec I'd give, though admittedly I only know their last album, Suicide By My Side. Musically it's basically just Children of Bodom, which means hyperfast Nightwish songs with ludicrously self indulgent solos, except it has a woman singing (not in the operatic soprano style) instead of Alexi Laiho screaming YOW and FUCK every other word.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:49 pm 

Chastain, and Crystal Viper are some traditional metal bands you should check out. Also Messiah Force is a great speed metal band that released only one album. There are some good thrash bands as well but they are more shrieking.

Reply to topic