Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm 

I'd suggest not giving a flying fuck about the hype sorrounding Opeth. I like some of their records just fine, but they are indeed extremely overrated. At least from my point of view.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Lately I've been listening to Gigan and Mithras. Anyone know of any other psychedelic death metal worth checking out?

Is Morbus Chron too obvious?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

In what kind of way is Morbus Chron "psychedelic"?

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:55 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
Lately I've been listening to Gigan and Mithras. Anyone know of any other psychedelic death metal worth checking out?

Is Morbus Chron too obvious?

Nope, never heard of them before. So far I'm liking them a lot. Keep them coming, guys.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
Are there any bands that worship Immolation's CTAWB sound?

Yes please, bumping this.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:59 pm 

does anyone know of any death metal that uses quite a bit of acoustic passages. Something like Cannibal Corpse or Deicide with the occasional acoustic part in the song or many intros with acoustic parts in it. Basically like Cold Hate, Warm Blood with more acoustics in it I guess. . .

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:04 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
I've been listening to Decameron - My Shadow, it's so fucking great. Can you guys rec me some similar bands. So really midpaced melodic death/black with good riffs and legit vocals.

The only thing I can think of coming close to that kind of sprawling, intricate song structure is the debut of Opeth :lol: which I'm sure you've heard. Probably my favourite of theirs though, as it seems to be less pretentious compared to the rest of their catalogue.

Another band I will recommend to you though is Misery's Omen from here in Australia. Some quite interesting stuff to be found on the Hope Dies full length. Some extremely twisting, turning song craft. Only two youtube links to be found, and they're both not a good representation of their material.

Yeah, I know both (Opeth being my favorite band :) ) but I'll need to check Misery's Omen again, thanks for that.

BTW, I really dislike XIxlx now! Just because you don't like the band, doesn't mean other people won't. I also think Morbus Chron is quite psychedelic, it's not obvious, but it's there, at least for OSDM, especially their album art.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 am 

I didn't expect Opeth to be your favourite band. What did you think of Heritage? Despite some akward parts, I thought it was just as good as Watershed.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:07 am 

Happy to find that the new Gorod is a fair bit better than Process. The production is really crisp and tight and warm, really loving it. The music is sounding subpar to Leading Vision era, but probably a step up from the last one.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
does anyone know of any death metal that uses quite a bit of acoustic passages. Something like Cannibal Corpse or Deicide with the occasional acoustic part in the song or many intros with acoustic parts in it. Basically like Cold Hate, Warm Blood with more acoustics in it I guess. . .

do you know of Necros Christos?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 pm 

I love Necros Christos. I was super not down when I saw the number of interludes they have on their record but it blew me away.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 pm 

Eli_the_Destroyer wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

do you know of Necros Christos?

actually I do. . .

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I didn't expect Opeth to be your favourite band. What did you think of Heritage? Despite some akward parts, I thought it was just as good as Watershed.

Great album, but I'm a fan of prog rock as well and I fully embrace Mikael's vision as a loyal fanboy :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Withered Earth - Forgotten Sunrise lp would be worth checking out.
The album has a number of acoustic passages and breaks throughout, quite an odd and unique album as a whole.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:

Try Vital Remains (Dechristianize onwards). They later Deicide and Vital Remains (say post 2006) both have a similar vein with Glen's fingerprints all over both band's releases.

If you want something that doesn't sound like that, try Molested - Blod Draum.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 pm 

fiercetroll wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:

Try Vital Remains (Dechristianize onwards). They later Deicide and Vital Remains (say post 2006) both have a similar vein with Glen's fingerprints all over both band's releases.

If you want something that doesn't sound like that, try Molested - Blod Draum.

like Withered Earth, it's pretty good. . .Vital Remains and Deicide are pretty obvious, though, especially since I mentioned Deicide already. Thanks for the recs anyways, though!!

BastardHead wrote:

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 am 

Maybe later Aeternus? Their Shadows of Old album is pretty ferocious with some well used clean sections

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
BTW, I really dislike XIxlx now! Just because you don't like the band, doesn't mean other people won't. I also think Morbus Chron is quite psychedelic, it's not obvious, but it's there, at least for OSDM, especially their album art.

I actually like Morbus Chron, but don't find them pyschedelic at all. Don't know how you got that from my message. Now, if you were referring to my comment about Opeth, I have to make clear that I said to not care about the hype sorrounding the band, not the band itself. Yes, I do think they are overrated despite liking some of their music myself, but I can see how some people love them.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
MGSX666 wrote:

Yes please, bumping this.

Drawn and Quartered, maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEP92HbDdew

dystopia4 wrote:

Try Flourishing, unique death metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH6Z12DNM0c

And also Diskord, definitely very psychedelic, norweigan death metal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9BTqVRMOUI

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:06 pm 

CrueltyJuggernaut wrote:
MGSX666 wrote:

Drawn and Quartered, maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEP92HbDdewI

I know them, but thanks.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm 

For anyone looking for new death metal bands then check out Venenum. They are quite thrashy and sound like Excorciate if you are familiar with them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tbikmBL ... re=related

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:52 pm 

Looking for stuff similar to Edge of Sanity's Unorthodox and The Spectral Sorrows: old school death metal with a hint of melody and occassional atmospheric sections here and there. Production shouldn't be too clean, vocals should be deep but still understandable and keyboards are more than welcome.

Some samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLbMALuFak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdUjuIBtLA

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 pm 

For Ilwhyan and MGSX666 who ask for Immolation's CTAWB worship, have you heard Azarath's Diabolical Impious Evil? It actually has some similarities to that period from Immolation.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 pm 

androdion wrote:
For Ilwhyan and MGSX666 who ask for Immolation's CTAWB worship, have you heard Azarath's Diabolical Impious Evil? It actually has some similarities to that period from Immolation.

Thanks, gotta check 'em out. Do they sing of Jesus Christ-ah?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 pm 

Well, to quote MA: "Lyrical themes: Satanism, Anti-Christianity, Death, Blasphemy" :p

And with song names like "Baptized in Sperm of the Antichrist" or "Anti-Human, Anti-God" you know where you're going.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:42 am 

Any old school death metal (pre-1995) that sounds like Banished - Deliver Me unto Pain or Deteriorate - Rotting in Hell. For Deteriorate, I especially mean the drumming, the fast punchy single kick drumming (at least it sounds like singles some of the time).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Any old school death metal (pre-1995) that sounds like Banished - Deliver Me unto Pain or Deteriorate - Rotting in Hell. For Deteriorate, I especially mean the drumming, the fast punchy single kick drumming (at least it sounds like singles some of the time).

I'm sure you're already familiar with Baphomet...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

The new Black Breath kills.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 pm 

Another band that's like Immolation's CTAWB is Destroying Divinity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e12k3XlV3I

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 pm 

Cool, a Czech band.

*listening*

It has undeniable resemblance, yes, and it sounds quite good. Thanks! I like.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
The new Black Breath kills.

Thanks for unintentionally pointing me to this band, they are pretty good!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:59 pm 

Death Breath > Black Breath
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 pm 

Umm this might seem like a juvenile request but I really need something that sounds like Altars Of Madness and The Nocturnal Silence had a demonic offspring. Something with the speed and slimy solos of Altars with the dark, satanic, haunting melodics and Slayerness of The Nocturnal Silence. I guess what I mean is it would need to have enough -isms of each band. Old school production too.

Thanks

EDIT Hell, if not at least something that just completely worships The Nocturnal Silence
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:05 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
Umm this might seem like a juvenile request but I really need something that sounds like Altars Of Madness and The Nocturnal Silence had a demonic offspring. Something with the speed and slimy solos of Altars with the dark, satanic, haunting melodics and Slayerness of The Nocturnal Silence. I guess what I mean is it would need to have enough -isms of each band. Old school production too.

Thanks

EDIT Hell, if not at least something that just completely worships The Nocturnal Silence

Mortem from peru
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mortem/4234
Suicidal Angels
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sui ... gels/27911

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
MGSX666 wrote:

Thanks

Mortem from peru
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mortem/4234
Suicidal Angels

Seconding Mortem great suggestion i will add:

Crucifixion - Desert of Shattered Hopes album is the closest i can think of, fast as fuck, great soloing and a decent amount of melody.
To a lesser extent Abramelin (aus) self titled cd may also be worth a try.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Try Benediction. Really good band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FON2aMpQ ... re=related

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:44 pm 

Two requests, first death metal with heavy, menacing sounding atmosphere inducing grooves. Modern or oldschool is fine either way, just as long as it's not sterile. Stuff like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xemw1SlmFgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uImXdS2HPPE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMbOZ3joyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwNLQqVD ... re=related

Next is I guess that brand of melodeathish stuff that hovers around between melodeath power and folk. Ensiferum is the obvious example (is suidakra similar?) but so are these two songs which I like a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZOQ__Dl4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbr89uDTr9Y&feature=fvst

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:08 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Next is I guess that brand of melodeathish stuff that hovers around between melodeath power and folk. Ensiferum is the obvious example (is suidakra similar?) but so are these two songs which I like a lot:

You definitely want to check out Archeon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQSTKU3MsuQ

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:40 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

Definately check out Ch'aska. Awesomely heavy melodeath/folk combo with native instruments

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Two requests, first death metal with heavy, menacing sounding atmosphere inducing grooves. Modern or oldschool is fine either way, just as long as it's not sterile.

Lvcifyre is blackened death metal with a lot of atmosphere and good groove. Really good band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6tRJ0pzgI

Decaying has some Hail of Bullets in their sound and are another band all about war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wotAUYn_EU

Asphyx is an obvious one. Here is a song from their latest album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTH05z3 ... re=related

Of course there is Bolt Thrower but you probably already know them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 289  Next