Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 am 

Brilliant! I'll check those out. I've heard Phobocosm, but I reckon a revisitation would be warranted.

Shame that the new Devouring Star EP lacks everything that made the album great.

Edit: I checked out some of IcIkte's recommendations. Plebeian Grandstand was pretty spot-on! Wormlust isn't any good. Azoic isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it sounds good though.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:07 pm 

Spell of Torment - Infernal Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlXTufiSQPk

Not bad for a random click.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:24 pm 

Yeah, keep your eyes open for Spell of Torment, because they're going to leave their mark in the Finnish death/black landscape. Looking forward to playing with them live early next month! Their live performance is extremely tight.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:33 pm 

I'm looking for some slow to mid tempo extremely heavy and crushing death metal. These days I am enjoying slam death metal like Short Bus Pileup and Cephalotripsy. I don't like bands like Hour of Penance as they are too fast and too technically adventurous. Something like the slowness of Incantation crossed with the creativity of Suffocation would be ideal. Also worth mentioning is that I love bands that set up complex structures with drums.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for some slow to mid tempo extremely heavy and crushing death metal. These days I am enjoying slam death metal like Short Bus Pileup and Cephalotripsy. I don't like bands like Hour of Penance as they are too fast and too technically adventurous. Something like the slowness of Incantation crossed with the creativity of Suffocation would be ideal. Also worth mentioning is that I love bands that set up complex structures with drums.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Not entirely sure what you are looking for so here are some suggestions.

Coffins

Rippikoulu

Rottrevore

Skinless

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:46 pm 

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some recommendations of both power metal and traditional metal. I am a giant fan of the following bands (songs posted)

Manowar - Metal Warriors
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxwcr72VcKg

Steel Angel - The Law
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAuZXokRlY

Liege Lord - Master Control
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPfiQeSnik

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iRf9AWoyE

Judas Priest - Painkiller
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM

In addition to power and traditional metal, I want some thrash reccomendations that you recommend based on what I like here:

Morbid Saint - Burned at the Stake
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCSYtDWduQ

Demolition Hammer - Skull Fracturing Nightmare
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NDUwK5bbqhU

Slayer - Raining Blood
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Metallica - Seek and Destroy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NUAdgt5Glk0

Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5jvUXij7nU

All recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:01 am 

Only thing worth a damn on Metal Injection. Plenty of killer new dm of all varieties here along with a touch of some other decent shit:

http://www.metalinjection.net/editorial ... etal-style

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Not entirely sure what you are looking for so here are some suggestions.

Coffins

Rippikoulu

Rottrevore

Skinless

Thanks. Excellent recs. Doom/Death, no wonder. I gotta find more bands like this,

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Bit late to the party here, but you should check out Desolate Shrine's first album, Tenebrous Towers. It's massive, but not all speed - and when they crush, they crush. Devastating.

The Brightest Night

Born to Lose One's Way

The Smell of Blood and Iron

My collection

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Bit late to the party here, but you should check out Desolate Shrine's first album, Tenebrous Towers. It's massive, but not all speed - and when they crush, they crush. Devastating.

The Brightest Night

Born to Lose One's Way

The Smell of Blood and Iron

Excellent rec. Co-incidentally I was listening to some scandinavian death metal when I read this post.(Bloodbath)

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

Rediscovered Sanzu (Aus) while sifting through my bookmarks & whatnot.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sanzu/3540396015

They take influence from Meshuggah, Gojira & Strapping Young Lad. A bit off-kilter imo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KIbSW-ewxo

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:25 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Thanks. Excellent recs. Doom/Death, no wonder. I gotta find more bands like this,

You're welcome. I bet you would like Decrepitaph as well then.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Should have pretty much all you're asking for.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:02 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Heisenberg - The Empire Business

markmental
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:56 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

You'd probably like Visceral Disgorge

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:03 am 

droneriot wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

Should have pretty much all you're asking for.

Not bad

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 am 

blarg223 wrote:
For bands like Brodequin, check out this list I created on RYM all about super fast, blasting BDM. I'm sure a lot will be right up your alley.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Morguelo ... -sickness/

To be a little more specific with that, check out Carnal from Colombia. Sounds almost exactly like FoD in my eyes. Buccal Defecation, Cadavoracity, Dismal Divinity, and Copremesis would also probably be right up your alley. Pustulated also featured Chad Walls, the drummer for the first two Brodequin albums, so check out their first full length for sure. Embodied Torment, Coprobaptized Cunthunter, and Bowel Stew all love Brodequin so much they have included covers of their songs on their respective albums, so give them a shot as well. Tools of Torture, Baalsebub, and Seraphic Enthronement all ape Brodequin's style even down to the medieval torture themes, so those may be your best bet. Lemme know how you feel about those and check out that list for sure.

Been taking a look at some of these, and though I was familiar with a lot of them, I also came across a few pretty sweet bands-- Embodied Torment, Bowel Stew, Carnal, among others-- that I wasn't previously acquainted with. Thanks!

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm 

Glad you liked them man, that's currently my favorite style so it's always cool timing to see someone else looking into the same shit I am hahaha

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 pm 

what would you suggest for some epic and elaborate death doom like Morgion, but not overtly melodramatic or gothic stuff? (Or actually some of that too, but leaning more towards the aggressive side. I can't say I have listened to much of the staples of that style, listened to Turn Loose the Swans some time ago but don't recall it being too memorable. Same with Brave Murder Day)

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 am 

Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens, classic

diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into the Peripheral, classic

Paramæcium - Exhumed of the Earth, gothic but not too gothic.

Evoken - Cant really go wrong with any of their records but Quietus and Antithesis of Light would be my recommendations.

Esoteric (uk) - Amazing band, maybe start with Subconscious Dissolution Into the Continuum or The Maniacal Vale, all their shit is amazing but the earlier stuff is increasingly strange and the latter likely closer to your request.

Unholy (fin) - awesome and weird band, The Second Ring of Power is a good starting point but all their records are great.

Ceremonium - Into the Autumn Shade, on the more aggressive side.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
what would you suggest for some epic and elaborate death doom like Morgion, but not overtly melodramatic or gothic stuff? (Or actually some of that too, but leaning more towards the aggressive side. I can't say I have listened to much of the staples of that style, listened to Turn Loose the Swans some time ago but don't recall it being too memorable. Same with Brave Murder Day)

Actually there is a thread for death/doom and funeral doom but it's not pinned so you might have not seen it.

Anyways I would recommend checking out Morast. Both demo and album (released 20 days ago) are really solid death/doom with some black influences as well.

And yeah check out the classics that got suggested already. Might also want to check out Winter.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 pm 

If you want maximum epic and maximum elaborate just go for Mournful Congregation.

Otherwise yeah just go through the genre classics checklist style. And with stuff like Peaceville bands remember to go for debuts, not sophomores.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:02 am 

I second Mournful Congregation and add Mythological Cold Towers

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm 

I'd like to delve a bit more into the Finnish death metal milieu-- I'm familiar with Rippikoulu, Disgrace, Wings, Demigod, the like. I'm primarily interested in riffy death metal with a dose of doom (albeit not necessarily to the point of death/doom).

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 am 

I'm a bit captain obvious, but Convulse's World Without God and Amorphis's first album and ep have all the strenghts of finnish death metal, you may want to check them out :)

Also there is the almighty Demilich, but even merfolks know them

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm 

Familiar with those three bands, but I appreciate the recommendation.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:40 pm 

What about Belial or Mythos? Those are some Finnish death metal bands from that era that learn more towards black metal than doom, but that sinister atmosphere is definitely on point. Maybe they're not the right bands if you're looking for something that slows down a bit, and has that crawling, dripping, sepulchral atmosphere, though I know some more modern bands in that style, namely Desolate Shrine and Maveth. Vorum's debut EP Grim Death Awaits might be a good one to check out as well.

Is Cartilage familiar?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:51 pm 

Really great list of Finndeath. Not mine, but pretty comprehensive.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rasputin ... ath_metal/

EDIT: I would be remiss if I failed to recommend a band named Oksennus for anyone's quest for killer Finnish death metal. Extremely bizarre music, it's like they mixed jazz and the old Finndeath sound. On the surface, that doesn't sound too crazy, Atheist did that years ago. but instead of making it into a prog/tech sound, they instead combined it with like....lounge freeform jazz and it floats lazily along, almost hypnotically, while still retaining that murky sound that borders on creepy that Finnish bands love so much. It's weird and kind of experimental, but a really fun and unique listen. All music is up on Bandcamp I believe.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:20 pm 

Belial, Vorum, and Desolate Shrine I'm familiar with (that last one I wasn't really into; I found it kind of riffless and lacking in memorability). Mythos isn't quite what I'm looking for-- bit heavier with the black metal-- but still good. Cartilage, on the other hand, is right on the money: their split with Altar is riffy, aggressive, and unafraid to slow down and groove a bit. Thanks for the recommendations!

blarg223: I'll take a look at that list as well, thanks.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 am 

Anybody in the know about some quality slow death metal like Incantation's Onward to Golgotha or Slayer's South of Heaven.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:35 pm 

Disma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZH2AI8Bn2Y

Undergang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNz_QfFdhpQ

Asphyx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7hEPQpJ8g&t=1635s

Autopsy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IpLYZkUrZA

Infester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emSDcQ89Ne8

Dead Congregration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZMIjfNyYQY

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 pm 

That''s a lot of recs.

On first listen I liked Disma, Asphyx.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Anybody in the know about some quality slow death metal like Incantation's Onward to Golgotha or Slayer's South of Heaven.

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
On first listen I liked Disma, Asphyx.

Deteriorot - In Ancient Beliefs
Excellent gloomy US death metal with a distinct Incantation influence, the Manifested Apparitions of Unholy Spirits 7 inch from 93 is equally great and I personally prefer the rawer production.

Funebrarum - Beneath the Columns of Abandoned Gods
Oppressively heavy death/doom metal, their discography is wholly excellent but the debut is my favourite. A couple of these guys used to be in Disma also.

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Super obvious but in the event you ain't familiar with them and seeing as you mention Asphyx.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 am 

Autopsy Mental Funeral is great. The guitar solos make the whole experience quite interesting.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 am 

Anyone out there know of anything like Agony Conscience???
Basically raw and abrasive brutal death metal/grind with a similarly lo-fi production. It needn't have the creepy interludes/noise but I like them so i'm happy either way.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 am 

Is there any more technical death metal that's more on the slow and sparse side and less on the one thousand notes per second side, such as Death's The Sound of Perseverance or alternately Confessor with growls?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 am 

droneriot wrote:
Is there any more technical death metal that's more on the slow and sparse side and less on the one thousand notes per second side, such as Death's The Sound of Perseverance or alternately Confessor with growls?

Babylon Sad - Kyrie (first thing that springs to mind)
Chrirugia - The Last Door (a stretch but reasonably sparse and technical to a degree, kind of an odd band)
Goats - Breath (Japanese death/thrash on the Voivod side of things not too dense, I ain't heard their other album though)
Dark Millennium - Ashore the Celestial Burden (again maybe a stretch, sort of death/doom with some Atheist qualities)
Golem (ger) - Possibly a bit too far off what you after, but some of their stuff might fit.
Broken Hope - Loathing (alternates between busy and sparse but has a weird minimalism to it that may fit)

These are off the top of my head so apologies if these are a bit off the mark.

Last edited by Hayisforhorses on Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 am 

Slow and sparse compared to Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist and such, Anata definitely comes to mind. The first album is melodic death metal, and the last ( :( ) album has some more anthemic songs, but the second and third albums are a bit like that. I'm not very familiar with Confessor, but Anata maybe doesn't sound as dark.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:07 am 

I'm looking for something on the slower side of death metal. Something like Hooded Menace or Asphyx.

Btw,

I just got Hellhammer their first album. It's enormously funny to hear what metal sounded like 35 years ago.

No jokes though. IT's a damn good album.

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for something on the slower side of death metal. Something like Hooded Menace or Asphyx.

Darkapathy - Condemned In Black

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258 ... 290  Next