Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Check out Coffin Dust "Ancient Rites of Buried Evil"
http://www.stereokiller.com/CoffinDust

In the vein of Impaled, Exhumed, etc.

Freaking awesome.
Anyone else have some new stuff? I'm still looking.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:09 am 

Am I the only one that can hardly ever remember death metal songs? Why is it so hard for me to remember the way certain songs sound like? Also, can someone recommend me some death metal that is so unique that it is memorable?

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:27 am 

Fortifiv3 wrote:
Am I the only one that can hardly ever remember death metal songs? Why is it so hard for me to remember the way certain songs sound like? Also, can someone recommend me some death metal that is so unique that it is memorable?

How long have you been listening to death metal? I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was first trying to explore the genre, but eventually it passed and it just might be my favorite style of metal now. I remember that Death's Human was the first death metal album that I found memorable, maybe it could be the same for you.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:31 am 

Fortifiv3 wrote:

I think you should try Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh , one of the best death metal albums ever released in the previous decade imo . I find most of the songs from that album catchy .

Last edited by reven on Wed May 11, 2011 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:02 am 

Fortifiv3 wrote:
Am I the only one that can hardly ever remember death metal songs? Why is it so hard for me to remember the way certain songs sound like?

I know what you mean, mate. Especially with technical death metal, I'm not going to remember some songs, no matter how much I listen to them. However, when I play the album, I know what it's going to sound like, even though I don't remember every little note or beat. There are others, though, where I'll know the album like the back of my hand.

Fortifiv3 wrote:
Also, can someone recommend me some death metal that is so unique that it is memorable?

I think this is more of a subjective thing, aligning with people's tastes that aren't yours, but for me, there's a few. Try Perimeter's Healing By Festering. Just the right amount of synth work and the riffs are memorable as hell, at least for me. Most of Decapitated's work is the same, if you're into them. Also Anata's The Conductor's Departure, featuring a light production work and some awesome dual guitar lines that border on dissonance but never quite get there.

You may not find them memorable, like I would, but hopefully it's a start.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
Fortifiv3 wrote:

How long have you been listening to death metal? I remember thinking the exact same thing when I was first trying to explore the genre, but eventually it passed and it just might be my favorite style of metal now. I remember that Death's Human was the first death metal album that I found memorable, maybe it could be the same for you.

I've been listening to death metal now for about 3 and 1/2 years. It is my favorite genre. I've found Crimson Thorn's "Unearthed" and "Purification" memorable. I've also found Belphegor's, "Blood Magick Necromance" memorable. The other day I listened to Necroabortion's only album and I can literally only remember 3 riffs and a few vocal lines from the album. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Non-death metal genres are very memorable to me, but I don't like them as much. I can even remember the way black metal album sounds like, but not death metal. It's one of the weirdest things. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else like this. I love the music but when someone asks me how a song goes I can never tell them. By the way everyone thank you for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

danycrimson999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:21 pm 

Try with origin
six feet under really good

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 am 

I've been trying for several weeks to get into Immolation without success. I have not listened to a whole album, just songs from youtube. Which album(s) do you suggest I should listen to?
On a side note, my favourite death metal bands are
Fleshgod Apocalypse, Cryptopsy, Death, Bolt Thrower, Ares Kingdom, Dismember, Gates Of Ishtar and Desultory. Do you think I "can" get into Immolation, or I should stop trying to?

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:14 am 

TeRRorBld wrote:
I've been trying for several weeks to get into Immolation without success. I have not listened to a whole album, just songs from youtube. Which album(s) do you suggest I should listen to?
Fleshgod Apocalypse, Cryptopsy, Death, Bolt Thrower, Ares Kingdom, Dismember, Gates Of Ishtar and Desultory. Do you think I "can" get into Immolation, or I should stop trying to?

I'm not sure if you're gonna be able to get into them but if you still wanna try then I think you should try Close to a World Below . I consider that album as their finest .

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 am 

A good gateway album might be their newest, Majesty and Decay. It really looks back on all the different sounds Immo has had throughout their time - it has some of the weird, atonal riffing of the first three albums, the dark splendour of Unholy Cult and Close To A World Below and the more heavy percussion-y groove of their later efforts. My favourite is Here in After followed by Failures for Gods and then Unholy Cult. I'd suggest starting with either Majesty and Decay and then either work your way backwards in their catalogue, or try to identify what parts (if any) you like (twisted riffing = go with earlier stuff, grand soundscapes = check out UC or CTAWB and so on). Their output from Unholy Cult and on is definitely more accessible than the older stuff though. Good luck, hope you'll get to like them, Immolation is my favourite band ever..

reven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:16 pm 

It took myself also a lot of time to swallow Immolation but when I did it was totally worth it .

TeRRorBld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:20 pm 

andersbang wrote:
A good gateway album might be their newest, Majesty and Decay. It really looks back on all the different sounds Immo has had throughout their time - it has some of the weird, atonal riffing of the first three albums, the dark splendour of Unholy Cult and Close To A World Below and the more heavy percussion-y groove of their later efforts. My favourite is Here in After followed by Failures for Gods and then Unholy Cult. I'd suggest starting with either Majesty and Decay and then either work your way backwards in their catalogue, or try to identify what parts (if any) you like (twisted riffing = go with earlier stuff, grand soundscapes = check out UC or CTAWB and so on). Their output from Unholy Cult and on is definitely more accessible than the older stuff though. Good luck, hope you'll get to like them, Immolation is my favourite band ever..

I think I'll work my way backwards then :D

Thanks for helping me out, both of you!

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 pm 

Fortifiv3 wrote:

Morbid Angel "Altars of Madness"

If the riffs on that album don't get stuck in your head then there isn't much hope for you.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:51 pm 

Acidchrist wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:

Check out Coffin Dust "Ancient Rites of Buried Evil"
http://www.stereokiller.com/CoffinDust

In the vein of Impaled, Exhumed, etc.

Freaking awesome.
Anyone else have some new stuff? I'm still looking.

Glad you dig it, they're a killer band.

We're putting out a split 7" with them later this year. We haven't released anything this year but we put a tape out at the end of last year and have another tape that came out in '09 that you might dig. You can download both from the link in my sig.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm 

@ TeRRorBld - Try Unholy Cult, it's one of the more easily digestible albums from them but still packs a great punch. It was the album that made me go on and check the rest of their discography and it has some really catchy riffs! Then try the rest of the 2000 onward albums before going to the older ones, because those are a bit different and you may have more trouble "getting into them".

MEMEME
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:04 pm 

the thread seemed to be lost in transition, just pulling it back!

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 pm 

I've really been craving some melodic death metal recently, but all I have is Amon Amarth's 'With Oden on Our Side". It's a great album, but I am wondering what else is out there. I'm looking for some recommendations for some of the best straight forward melodic death out there, the albums that have to be in your collection. I'm mainly interested in newer, better produced stuff, and I wouldn't be averse to some technicality, but its not specifically what I'm looking for (I mainly listen to technical and brutal death so I'm looking to find something a little different).

VindictiveSecondSoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 pm 

the only melodic death album that ive ever like was riders of the plague by the absence.
its got alot of guitar show-offy parts, but its pretty good compared to like 90% of other melodic bands. their first album is pretty good as well, but the latest sucks completely

i have been looking into older death metal i little bit recently and was wondering what are some good proto- death metal bands. i REALLY love the sound of master, i like possesed alot too, death's first album doesnt quite do it for me though. and i know there was another band with some members from Master that i cant remember their name, though i do recal them being awesome.

so any recs for that would be appreciated. i also love swedish death sound.
not a fan of obituary, but some other oldschool bands i like are:
malevolent creaton (retribution)
master
possesed
incantation (golgotha)
suffocation
demilich
corpse (black dawn demo is awesome)
aggressor
carbonized
nokturnus.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:35 pm 

Here's one for the seasoned: anyone know of a death metal version of Atheist's "Elements" (or something close ;))?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:09 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Here's one for the seasoned: anyone know of a death metal version of Atheist's "Elements" (or something close ;))?

Ephel Duath's Pain Necessary To Know immediately pops to mind, but that's not really like Elements. Sorry, but that's the best I can think of at the moment.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 pm 

It's better than what I could think of which was nothing. :)

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:24 pm 

VindictiveSecondSoul wrote:
the only melodic death album that ive ever like was riders of the plague by the absence.
its got alot of guitar show-offy parts, but its pretty good compared to like 90% of other melodic bands. their first album is pretty good as well, but the latest sucks completely

i have been looking into older death metal i little bit recently and was wondering what are some good proto- death metal bands. i REALLY love the sound of master, i like possesed alot too, death's first album doesnt quite do it for me though. and i know there was another band with some members from Master that i cant remember their name, though i do recal them being awesome.

so any recs for that would be appreciated. i also love swedish death sound.
not a fan of obituary, but some other oldschool bands i like are:
malevolent creaton (retribution)
master
possesed
incantation (golgotha)
suffocation
demilich
corpse (black dawn demo is awesome)
aggressor
carbonized
nokturnus.

To answer your question about the band that has members from Master, that would be "Deathstrike" or maybe "Abomination." Paul Speckmann has had many projects.

Here are some of my recommendations:

Massacra-awesome old school death/thrash from France. Check out Final Holocaust & Enjoy The Violence.

Thanatos-killer death/thrash from Holland. Check out Emerging From The Netherworlds.

Imperator-death/thrash from Poland. Formed around the same time as Vader, just never got the recognition. Check out "The Time Before Time" album & the "Eternal Might" demo.

Cianide-killer death metal from Chicago. They mix doom, death, & thrash very well. If you like Master you should like them. Check out "The Dying Truth" & "Death, Doom, & Destruction".

Nunslaughter-awesome simplistic death metal like Venom, Hellhammer & Slaughter(Can). Check out all 9000 splits/EP's they've done LOL. Their best albums are Hell's Unholy Fire & Goat.

Sempiternal Deathreign-another killer Dutch DM band with touches of doom & thrash. Check out "The Spooky Gloom." Vocals are very much like Van Drunen(I assume you know who he is). Check it out on youtube as this album is very hard to find.

Evil Incarnate-newer band that plays old school styled DM like Incantation & Acheron(I assume you know who they are). Anything they've done has been solid.

Dream Death-proto death/doom from Pittsburgh. Check out "Journey Into Mystery". I suggest checking it out on youtube because this album is hard to find & if you were to find it, you're looking at almost $100, maybe more.

Necrovore-awesome black/death from TX. They released the "Divus De Mortuus" demo in '87, they never released a full-length. They have obvious Celtic Frost/Possessed influences.

Goatlord-they're more like black/doom, but have been reffered to as death/doom also. Check out their demos & Reflections Of The Solstice.

Order From Chaos-godly black/death/thrash from Missouri. Check out Stillbirth Machine. It was Pete Helmkemp's(known more for Angelcorpse) first band.

Assuming you know the big swedish bands, here are some more obscure ones:

Treblinka
Obscurity
Desultory
Necrophobic
Mefisto
Merciless
Macrodex
Masticate
Morbid
Crematory

Bestialdamnation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:26 pm 

Also if you're into newer bands that play old styles:

Repugnant-plays swedish death in the tradition of the classic bands.

Dead Congregation-plays Immolation/Incantation styled-DM. They're from Greece.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:53 am 

I'm looking for any kind of Japanese Death Metal. The more brutal the better, but anything will do. In all honestly, I have no idea where to begin in Japan. Thanks in advance! :metal:

Radiant_Bastard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:30 pm 

For the death metal enthousiasts here, I've uploaded a hard to find album by Pentacrostic, a criminally underrated band that's been around since 1989
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLAA98BD5398E43976
short, but good

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:45 pm 

luxul wrote:
I'm looking for any kind of Japanese Death Metal. The more brutal the better, but anything will do. In all honestly, I have no idea where to begin in Japan. Thanks in advance! :metal:

Defiled and Vomit Remnants immediately come to mind. Both are brutal death metal bands. (Defiled only has live videos on youtube)

DoorToOblivion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:15 pm 

Looking for some death metal in the vein of

Morbid Angel, if I had to go for an album I'm looking for something similar to then it'd probably be Blessed Are The Sick

And some stuff that's similar to Immolation (preferably Majesty and Decay style stuff)

And Nile

Three different requests of course :)

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 pm 

DoorToOblivion wrote:

Morbid Angel, if I had to go for an album I'm looking for something similar to then it'd probably be Blessed Are The Sick

some bands that are reminiscent of early Morbid Angel:

Mortem (from Peru) are great. De Natura Daemonum is my favorite album of theirs.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mortem/4234

also, you could check out Necrobscure. they've got a demo that is very Morbid Angel influenced. great stuff
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nec ... 3540288896

and then, of course, there's this: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/No ... he_Key/640

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:51 pm 

DoorToOblivion wrote:

Morbid Angel

Mithras

DoorToOblivion wrote:
And some stuff that's similar to Immolation (preferably Majesty and Decay style stuff)

Dead Congregation

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:58 am 

I'm looking for recs similar to Malignancy's (Yonkers) debut album. Similar material that has a technical edge to it that does not become wank and has a stronger focus on brutal groovy riffing.

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am 

TeRRorBld wrote:

Shadows In The Light (2007) got me into Immolation. It's a catchy, angry album.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm 

DoorToOblivion wrote:

You could check the Canadian Necronomicon first album, Pharaoh of Gods, it's pretty reminiscent to that period of Morbid Angel.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:14 pm 

Hey all I'm looking for early death metal bands that have some 'melody'. I am not on about bands like Eucharist, Ceremonial Oath etc just so you know!

Examples would be....

Bloodstone - Hour of the Gate
Centinex - Reborn Through Flames
Desultory - Into Eternity
Internal Decay - A Forgotten Dream
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Uncanny - Splenium For Nyktophobia

Fortifiv3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:04 am 

Can anyone refer me to tracks that change time signatures frequently?

Mayhem1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm 

Death metal is so overwhelming im looking for some not unknown but past the basics as i already have morbid angel, immolation, atheist, suffocation, death (etc etc)

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 am 

TeRRorBld wrote:

I kind of just forced myself to listen to Immolation until I liked it. And I'm glad I did. Not only does it make me appreciate Immolation. It made me appreciate dissonant death metal. I probably wouldn't be able to listen to Mortal Throne Of Nazarene (by Incantation) without forcing myself to like Immolation, not that's one of my favorite albums.

I'd say start with Majesty And Decay and work backwards.

Fortifiv3 wrote:

Try Autopsy's Macabre Eternal. It's 65 minute length may make it seem like a hard pill to swallow. But, you'll be humming riffs after your first listen. Every song is different and memorable.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

SashaGallant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:03 am 

What are some bands that sound like Tomb of the Mutilated era Cannibal Corpse. I'm mostly looking for mathing vocal style and lyrical theme. Preferably american

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 pm 

Looking for fast, insane death metal, preferable old school style, short songs, and if possible, with quite many songs per album. No deathgrind if possible, otherwise punk influence is highly welcome.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:03 pm 

SashaGallant wrote:
What are some bands that sound like Tomb of the Mutilated era Cannibal Corpse. I'm mostly looking for mathing vocal style and lyrical theme. Preferably american

early severe torture
http://youtu.be/uOiIrRuVs-E

IronTusk704
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm 

I'm looking for some death/thrash as similar as possible to Repugnant's Epitome of Darkness. I am falling in love with the close to but not exactly buzzsaw tone they have going, and the vocals are killer. I'll take anything close, but the more similarities the better.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 290  Next