Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AshaGreyjoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:08 pm 

I've been listening to Cemetary's "An evil shade of grey" quite a lot in the last couple of weeks or so. I'm not new to the swedish death metal scene, but I'd never given this band a proper chance. I was really amazed by them!! Dark, original and extremely atmospheric stuff. Do you know of any other bands with a similar sound??
Here's what I'm talking about [youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=WL&v=ReHyqVkgkbE[/youtube]

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:40 pm 

androdion wrote:
Anaclasis onwards it's all cool stuff, though I'd probably tell you to try Erebos first. It's more dynamic and has some of the best material the band has put out. If you want something a bit more savage you can try Azarath which is Inferno's other band. There's also that band everyone talks about, Sarcoptes or whatever. They're British and released an "Egyptian" album last year I believe.

Thanks dude!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 pm 

That Cemetary is kind of tricky, bit of a unique album in terms of sound. Maybe try some of the old Tiamat albums or some of the old Finnish stuff like Abhorrence, Depravity or the likes of that type of death metal.

AshaGreyjoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:02 pm 

I'm already familiar with Tiamat and Abhorrence and I highly enjoy both of them! :) I will check out Depravity as soon as I can, I think I'll like them if they're in the same vein as the other two. Thank you for your help;)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:12 am 

Try Ataraxy's Reveletions of the Ethereal as well then. They're Spanish but they think they're Finnish. ;)

AshaGreyjoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:13 am 

Just listened to Depravity's Silence of the centuries and all I've got to say is it's a fucking killer album, pure doom and gloom :headbang: you just can't go wrong with OS finnish death!
Ataraxy are quite good too, the vocals remind a bit of Martin Van Drunen (which is always a good thing btw :-D)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:34 am 

Glad you liked them. I'm probably not giving you any news but the first Amorphis album is also a killer record in that regard. That and the Privilege of Evil EP.

AshaGreyjoy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:58 pm 

Yep! Karelian Isthmus is definitely a classic. It was my introduction to the finnish scene along with Sentenced's first record ;)

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:18 pm 

I'm getting into Death Metal. The closest stuff to death that I listened to before a couple days ago was Lamb of God, Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, Arsis, and Cradle of Filth.

I started off with Bolt Thrower. I like Honor, Valor, Pride the most of their albums I've listened to so far. I use Youtube's recommended videos to look around a bit and found Monstrosity (album was Rise to Power - I didn't hate it) and some other stuff I didn't like enough to remember the name of. I also Sentenced, which was great. I really liked North From Here, it was almost as good as Shadows of Past. Haven't listened to any of their other stuff.

Based off this, what else would you guys recommend to me? Don't assume I know the classics or anything, I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to death metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:17 am 

There's just too much I can recommend you, I don't even know where to start!

I'd say that since you're unfamiliar with death metal it's probably better to go to those bands' MA pages and check ou the top five similar artists. That should give you a head start. ;)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:03 pm 

androdion wrote:
Oh my, I haven't listened to Pyaemia and Disavowed in almost a decade! Ha, good times when everything was blunt blunted blunter. :D

I won't mention any of the bands on the similar artists tab, so how about some of these:

- Deamon's Descend Dethrone, really noodly bass and groovey semi-technical with a bit of a Suffocation flair.
- Insision's Beneath the Folds of Flesh (OK OK, so this one is on the similar artists tab but it's a really cool album from memory).
- Beheaded's Perpetual Mockery reminds me a lot of the Style on Cerebral Cereal, the rest of their discography is kind of meh...

There's Flaying from Latvia and Enthrallment from Bulgaria but they both have one feet on the grind, though the later does have an overly clanking bass on the sophomore album. The former has a bit of a Cryptopsy vibe too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdd29RPLIj4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_CjdfJJ2G4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMyrNn9jgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvA6GtryXTQ (I think something's missing here, my CD runtime is nearly 30 minutes)

Sorry been busy.

Deamon was cool and I dig it. Beheaded I already know, and dig too btw, Incision I haven't gotten to yet. Those two Flying songs were pretty much exactly what I wanted so that you :) and Enthrallment I didn't really care for. Thanks drodi!

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:14 pm 

If you want I can send you the whole Flaying album via Wetransfer. Just send me your email by PM. ;)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:58 pm 

Thanks but I'll just buy it. I'm kind of a stickler for actually owning what I listen to, unless this is like super duper rare and over $100 or something. Then yeah maybe :lol:

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:59 pm 

I bought it pretty cheap, go for it. ;)

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:49 pm 

U472439 wrote:
Looking for old school death metal a la Master, Sadistic Intent, Possessed -- still has a lot of thrash in it, but also pretty dark. Esp curious to know what new bands are playing this style now.

I've been after something similar to this also. Coffin Texts I think is about as close as I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0An3SZd4KRY

Cookiemonster16
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:10 am 

schizoid wrote:
U472439 wrote:
Looking for old school death metal a la Master, Sadistic Intent, Possessed -- still has a lot of thrash in it, but also pretty dark. Esp curious to know what new bands are playing this style now.

I've been after something similar to this also. Coffin Texts I think is about as close as I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0An3SZd4KRY

Mortem(Peru) is another good one

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:30 am 

So I've been spinning Scum's Mother Earth lately again and it's pretty damn cool. Melodic (although far from Gothenburg sounding), eerie yet also barbaric sounding. Autothrall mentions it reminds him of a mix between early Tiamat and Asphyx but I'm not sure if I'd agree with that.

Sceadugenga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:44 pm 

So I've always been more of a black metal guy but I find myself getting more and more into death metal. I want to branch out but I'm not sure where to look. My current favorites are Decrepit Birth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Necrophagist, Ulcerate and Winter Bestowed. Can anyone recommend some other death metal bands I'd be into?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:12 pm 

I guess that you should feel right at home with the Canadian tech death scene. Gorguts, Augury, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Beyond Creation, Neuraxis, Atheretic, etc.

Sceadugenga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:32 am 

androdion wrote:
I guess that you should feel right at home with the Canadian tech death scene. Gorguts, Augury, Martyr, Quo Vadis, Beyond Creation, Neuraxis, Atheretic, etc.

Solid list. Especially Beyond Creation and Neuraxis... Thanks.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 am 

Sceadugenga wrote:
So I've always been more of a black metal guy but I find myself getting more and more into death metal. I want to branch out but I'm not sure where to look. My current favorites are Decrepit Birth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Necrophagist, Ulcerate and Winter Bestowed. Can anyone recommend some other death metal bands I'd be into?

How about some Immolation?

Higher Coward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFTh-Dew6e4

Unholy Cult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljhLSb-0rM4&t=8m42s

Sceadugenga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 am 

I can officially add Hour of Penance to my list. So fast, chaotic and technical... Anybody know any more like that?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm 

Try Hideous Divinity as well.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 am 

Sceadugenga wrote:

Some Polish tech death might be something of interest.

Decapitated:
https://youtu.be/R-DGgKsE2fw

Lost Soul:
https://youtu.be/yc3s9OqGsUg
Considering Lost Soul have a slightly black lining, you'll surely get into them quite smoothly.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:39 pm 

I need some good blazing fast deathrash like The Crowns Deathrace king!

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:12 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
I need some good blazing fast deathrash like The Crowns Deathrace king!

Not the exact style of The Crown, but if "blazing fast" is the priority ...

Ratslayer420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:46 pm 

Looking to find sum new brutal death metal, everything off the new standard elite record label is hella poppin!! Virulence, Goregasm, Hymenotomy, and iniquitous deeds to name a few off that label that I really enjoyed, but always looking to broaden the horizon. Some other brutal death metal I enjoyed septycal gorge, dark prison massacre, terrordrome, any new suggestions would be much appreciated.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:27 am 

Hey there guys, just needed my death metal fix:

1) I need death (or black) metal that has 'terrorist/jihadi' sort of feel/theme to it. Imagine the shitheads from ISIS or Al-Qaeda playing some sick death metal, preferably with extreme lyrical content about cleansing the planet of infidels, beheading apostates, establishing global caliphate etc. Bands that I already know are Al-Namrood (KSA), Narjahanam (Bahrain)
I'm not looking for oriental/middle-eastern metal like Melechesh or Orphaned Land etc.

2) Any brutal death that you have been digging lately?

3) Also, what prog/death era Opeth album should I start with?

Any sort of help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance \m/

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 am 

Ratslayer420 wrote:
Looking to find sum new brutal death metal, everything off the new standard elite record label is hella poppin!! Virulence, Goregasm, Hymenotomy, and iniquitous deeds to name a few off that label that I really enjoyed, but always looking to broaden the horizon. Some other brutal death metal I enjoyed septycal gorge, dark prison massacre, terrordrome, any new suggestions would be much appreciated.

Brother check this out:

1) Colonized from the Inside by Xenomorphic Contamination (Tech/Brutal Death; absolutely crushing)
2) Carthago Delenda Est by Ade (Symphonic/Tech Death; as intense as early Fleshgod Apocalypse)
3) Suffer by Lord of War (Atmospheric Death/Deathcore; pretty varied yet still brutal)
4) Psychosadistic Design by Vulvodynia (Slam/Brutal Death; best slam record I've heard in a while)

Hope this helps!

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:49 pm 

I recently started really digging into death metal and I've been liking more and more of it. The albums that really got me hooked are Left Hand Path, Like an Ever Flowing Stream, Malevolent Creation's first two, a few Vader albums, and pretty much everything from Bolt Thrower (especially IVth Crusade) - that's about it though. Since I have a newfound appreciation for the style, I've been looking for more that's to my liking. I'm really picky with the drums and vocals, if it has nonstop blasting and Cannibal Corpse-y ultra low-end undiscernible vocals then I won't like it at all. A perfect example of the death metal I dislike is Cryptopsy. A perfect example of what I love is Left Hand Path, but it doesn't have to be Swedish. Also, I avoid satanic/anti-Christian lyrical themes. I also love when death metal has some doom elements, but don't really know where to look for that.

Anything that fits those guidelines should be fine. Hope this wasn't too vague, thanks!

diseas3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:14 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
I also love when death metal has some doom elements, but don't really know where to look for that.

You should try :
Disma - Towards the Megalith
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
and Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene(I know you are not looking for satanic themed bands but this album is really worth it for death/doom)

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:19 pm 

Make sure to check out Autopsy's first two records. Mental Funeral especially, one of the records that helped write the book on death/doom (and all those Swedish dudes LOVED Autopsy).

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:24 pm 

No one has mentioned Obituary, can't believe it. Very groovy and primitive death metal with a tinge of doom metal. Their first two albums are classics. Usually people who like Malevolent Creation like Obituary, in my experience.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
I recently started really digging into death metal and I've been liking more and more of it. The albums that really got me hooked are Left Hand Path, Like an Ever Flowing Stream, Malevolent Creation's first two, a few Vader albums, and pretty much everything from Bolt Thrower (especially IVth Crusade) - that's about it though. Since I have a newfound appreciation for the style, I've been looking for more that's to my liking. I'm really picky with the drums and vocals, if it has nonstop blasting and Cannibal Corpse-y ultra low-end undiscernible vocals then I won't like it at all. A perfect example of the death metal I dislike is Cryptopsy. A perfect example of what I love is Left Hand Path, but it doesn't have to be Swedish. Also, I avoid satanic/anti-Christian lyrical themes. I also love when death metal has some doom elements, but don't really know where to look for that.

Anything that fits those guidelines should be fine. Hope this wasn't too vague, thanks!

Right. Most of those albums you listed are downright classics from a classic era, but I'm going in a more modern direction (except for the last one...) with the same "feel". Something to look at...

Binah - Hallucinating in Resurrecture

British and fucking awesome. Channeling Swedish death metal with their own twist. Captivating, haunting, heavy.

Vorum - Poisoned Void

Finnish and awesome. Driving, relentless death metal with feeling and a sense of thrashy urgency. Great stuff.

Ataraxy - Revelations of the Ethereal

From Spain and put out a great full length which has it's moments of atmosphere and crushing groove.

Armoured Angel. Australian and old. Both EP's are well worth a listen for their stripped back, groove-laden, heavy as fuck bruising death metal.

Loads more in the memory banks, but it's late...

My collection

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:54 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Usually people who like Malevolent Creation like Obituary.

:???: That's the first I've heard that correlation. For Staindclass I'd recommend just trying out all the essential early 90's death metal "tion" bands and others, there's bound to be at least a few that float your boat.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:06 am 

I forgot how crushing Binah were! Thanks CrushedRevelation.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:41 pm 

@diseas3 That Disma album kicks ass so far, I'll keep digging into it.

@U472439 I'm actually really digging Severed Survival. I'd heard of it, but never given it a shot, it's awesome so far.

@Sepulchrave I've tried to get into Obituary before, but they just don't do anything for me. I find them to be musically lacking. :( Thanks for the suggestion though.

@CrushedRevelation all of those are cool, but that Armoured Angel is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. That kicks major ass, if there's anything else like that, I need to find it because that is pretty much right up my alley.

Thanks peoples, your suggestions are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:20 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:
Usually people who like Malevolent Creation like Obituary.

:???: That's the first I've heard that correlation.

Ooooo shit I mixed MC up with Massacre, who are actually similar to Obituary.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:50 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Asphyx is a must for doomy death metal. I think you will like them. A lot of groove in them too. Their vocalist, Van Drunnen has been involved with Bolt Thrower as well. If you like them then check out Van Drunnen's other projects.

Try Skeletal Remains. Reminds me of Pestilence and Obituary. They have a killer groove.

Outre-Tombe is another new band with similarities with Obituary, and the Florida scene in general.

For doomy death metal Gorement from Sweden is another must. Check out Deathevokation as well if you like them.

Tons of death metal in the Swedish vein. Of the newer bands Ribspreader, Ashcloud, Under the Church, and Lik have had albums recently in 2015 or 2016 that have been really good. Also check out Bloodbath, which is one of the bigger names.

Lik is very much Dismember worship, but kicks ass.

Incantation's take on doomy death metal is awesome, and has influenced many bands. Funebrarum, Dead Congregation, Drawn and Quartered, Cemetery Urn, and Impetuous Ritual to name a few. All great stuff.

Jordzy2j
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:29 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Ratslayer420 wrote:

Brother check this out:

1) Colonized from the Inside by Xenomorphic Contamination (Tech/Brutal Death; absolutely crushing)
2) Carthago Delenda Est by Ade (Symphonic/Tech Death; as intense as early Fleshgod Apocalypse)
3) Suffer by Lord of War (Atmospheric Death/Deathcore; pretty varied yet still brutal)
4) Psychosadistic Design by Vulvodynia (Slam/Brutal Death; best slam record I've heard in a while)

Hope this helps!

Vulvodynia are from my home town; I'm friends with the guitarist. Nice to see they're getting noticed!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 290  Next